New site feedback

Posted In: FAQ. Reading This Thread:

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

15th Oct 2009 at 7:59 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: the doc, Oct 2009

I'd quite like it of when you click a link it opens it in a new tab like it did before. Nay stress if it's a hassle though, I don't click half the links these weirdos post anyway

Nice work by the way, Loony, and thanks for the effort. You're right, we're somewhere near where we were before, I think

Done.

Is there anything specific you can remember that makes us not where we were before?

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

15th Oct 2009 at 8:19 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Quote: LoonyPandora, Oct 2009

I'd quite like it of when you click a link it opens it in a new tab like it did before. Nay stress if it's a hassle though, I don't click half the links these weirdos post anyway

Nice work by the way, Loony, and thanks for the effort. You're right, we're somewhere near where we were before, I think

Done.

Is there anything specific you can remember that makes us not where we were before?

Just maybethe thing I mentioned before about being able to scan through larger threads quicker, like with the old "1-10...11-20....21-30 etc" arrow box thing
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

15th Oct 2009 at 9:37 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

The old photos are back. Well, at least mostly. Some seem to have gone missing over the ages or been half deleted.

I'll have to have a mass clear out of photos that are showing up, but don't actually have photos to go with them.

Not off the top of my head I don't think, apart from still not being able to log in with my username. It still comes up in the login box but I have to delete it and put my email in every time, the 'remember me' bit doesn't seem to work.

Sent ya a PM about that.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

16th Oct 2009 at 7:47 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

When i tried to go on some of the boards today, i couldn't see any of the threads.

i can now find them with the View all posts thing, though.

Edited by Rayanne Graff Oct 2009
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

16th Oct 2009 at 8:20 am

Is the avatar upload thing broken?

Dunno if this has been mentioned yet but clicking a board from the forum home (FAQ, Main etc) redirects me to VR Home. This has only started happening today, is it just me?

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

16th Oct 2009 at 8:26 am

River Phoenix

Quote: Hurri, Oct 2009
Dunno if this has been mentioned yet but clicking a board from the forum home (FAQ, Main etc) redirects me to VR Home. This has only started happening today, is it just me?

No, it's happening to me as well, so i expect it's like that for everyone.

Like when there was a bug before where it kept saying that only people who'd donated could look at threads; everyone got that.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

16th Oct 2009 at 11:46 am

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Me too.

Also Loony, Dean has got all those server details, so I'll send them your way when he passes them on.

Megazine Letters.

| 3,425 posts

16th Oct 2009 at 11:55 am

Megazine Letters. - You! Me! Milkshakes!

You! Me! Milkshakes!

Please can you make the Megazine Letters account a moderator again, maybe? I really want to tidy some things, and also sticky and unsticky lots of threads too.
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/591931.jpg]

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

16th Oct 2009 at 12:52 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Same as.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

16th Oct 2009 at 4:03 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: Megazine Letters., Oct 2009
Please can you make the Megazine Letters account a moderator again, maybe? I really want to tidy some things, and also sticky and unsticky lots of threads too.

Sure thing, done.

Quote: Kid A, Oct 2009
The reply box in firefox is a bit...off to the side. I was gonna post a photo to show but due to the aforementioned bug I can't access the gallery

Screenshot away

Quote: Howard Hughes, Oct 2009

Also Loony, Dean has got all those server details, so I'll send them your way when he passes them on.

Good sh*t man, will get the site sorted as soon as I have the details. You may want to give me some basic content too - the site will look a bit empty, unless you want that "default" stuff I put in there on a live site

Yeah, just me being a numpty, sorry.

If anyone cares, it was because I enabled the ability to do "all" posts, but I put the rules in the wrong order, so it ended up showing none instead.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

16th Oct 2009 at 4:34 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: Kid A, Oct 2009
oh, it appears to be showing up properly now, dunno what that was about.

It was shoving loads of whitespace between the more smileys box and the reply box so the reply box was being pushed out over the black border.

Yeah, that would be because of the add more smileys box, and you had cached CSS. mentioned it in the post I did where I said I added it.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

17th Oct 2009 at 3:16 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Just switched to widescreen youtube videos. It's been the default on youtube.com for ages, might as well do it here too.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

18th Oct 2009 at 11:31 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Added a little drop down menu with all the pages on it - so you can go straight to that page.

Also on threads there is an "all" link. Which isn't really an "all" - it just shows 150 posts instead of 15 per page. I think that should be enough really.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

22nd Oct 2009 at 8:39 pm

I aim to misbehave

It might just be me but I haven't been getting a notification to say I have a new private message. Like the little 1 that normally appears beside it

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

22nd Oct 2009 at 9:05 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Claire, Oct 2009
I thought I had this problem but I had a one next to my messages when you PMed just now so I think I must have just been inobservant previously.

Thats what I thought the first time, but its happened me twice today

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

23rd Oct 2009 at 1:53 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

I have the same problem - so I'll see what I can figure out.

Working on finding out why VR was down all last night... I was asleep so didn't see it until this morning, and only just got it working again.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Oct 2009 at 5:03 pm

River Phoenix

I was gonna clear out some old PMs but I don't seem to be able to get past page 1. When I click to go somewhere else, it just reloads the same page. Any idea why this might be happening?

Yeah, my PMs are the same as well.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

13th Nov 2009 at 5:18 pm

River Phoenix

(Cool, my PMs are better now.)

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

13th Nov 2009 at 5:30 pm

learrggh -

is vr going to be pink soon?

Πανδώρα

| 15,328 posts

8th Dec 2009 at 6:09 pm

Πανδώρα -

Quote: Kid A, Dec 2009
It used to automatically skip to the newest post in a thread, I wish it still did.
*burp*

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

8th Dec 2009 at 7:20 pm

River Phoenix

Quote: Valerie Holliday, Dec 2009
It used to automatically skip to the newest post in a thread, I wish it still did.

Mine skips to the last page I read, which is better I think.

That's what I mean, it used to skip to the newest post since I'd last read it. Like now it goes to the right page but it used to go right to the actual post.

i never noticed it.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

8th Dec 2009 at 9:00 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Pinga, Dec 2009
Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere...but I don't get anything come up on VR saying I've a new PM.

I was having this trouble too. Then it was okay. Now I don't think it is again.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

9th Dec 2009 at 12:06 am

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Quote: Tallahassee, Dec 2009
Quote: Pinga, Dec 2009
Sorry if this has already been mentioned elsewhere...but I don't get anything come up on VR saying I've a new PM.

I....don't know if this happens, I don't get any PMs.

I had a look, but I couldn't find my tiny violin

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

9th Dec 2009 at 4:12 am

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

I've took the decision to work on the performance, rather than getting some old features back.

The main reasons I did new VR were:
- Improve Speed
- Improve Stability
- Create a slick platform, allowing me to build new features

While it's faster and more stable than the hacked-to-death version of YaBB we used to have, the perceived performance improvement isn't as great as I hoped, and stability isn't too great as a result of the host I use (every time you see a "VR is too busy" error - it's because of the hosting provider).

Although new VR is about twice as fast as old VR, it doesn't seem it because of the latency - the amount of time it takes for your request to get to and from my host in Dallas Texas. I neglected to measure this effect when I was beavering away, and it turns out that is the bottleneck, not the VR code... Meaning it doesn't matter how fast VR makes the pages, it still takes a few seconds to send you them - meaning it still appears to be dog slow.

The only way to remedy that is to move the server closer to you. So I have done. I've bought a beefy server in Europe, and I'll be moving VR over there soon. In order to do this, I need to refactor the code a bit, because it's all optimised for running on Hostgator. Plus I did a few experimental things with the code that haven't worked out, so I'll be going back to the tried and tested way of doing things (SQLite and Rails I'm looking at you two, stupid lack of concurrency and god-awful memory consumption...)

Basically I'm saying I won't be adding new features, or fixing major bugs until I make the move in a few weeks. That means no email notifications, and the PM thing will be half broke until then (it's b*ggered for me too) - to fix the PM thing will require a lot of database work and it's just not practical atm. Also the going to new posts thing won't get changed for a while either

I'm working my a*s off with work, and freelance sh*t, and this - But my target is to get it released on Christmas Day, the 7 year anniversary of us becoming .com. I'll fix the bugs during the move. So hang tight for a week or two and they'll be fixed. I'll then add new features (like email notification) after the move.

For the technical peeps, the new server details:

Ubuntu Server 9.10
Inteo Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66Ghz
1GB RAM
20GB RAID 10
Nginx Webserver
Postgres for the DB
Located in... Transylvania

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: