New site feedback

Posted In: FAQ. Reading This Thread:

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 10:40 am

Roxannie -

comments on the new look here, so it doesn't all get split between now thinking/things that f*ck you off/cheer you up.

I like the new youtube and spoiler buttons, which will save a bit of faffing, and the thingy that sticks at the bottom of the window so you don't have to scroll around so much.

I would like the option of turning my VR purple, although things like getting pictures back in the picture gallery should probably come first. Also, I think a new favicon for a new VR would fit a bit better than the old one.

My overall opinion of the new site can be summed up by this smiley:

Hijacked by Claire to add all user suggestions in one place at the request of TechnoChris.

Quote: Annie, Jun 2009

I would like the option of turning my VR purple, although things like getting pictures back in the picture gallery should probably come first. Also, I think a new favicon for a new VR would fit a bit better than the old one.

Quote: King For A Day, Jun 2009
My one major complaint is I find fixed width sites really difficult and uncomfortable to use

Quote: lisa, Jun 2009

also, reply button being where it is makes it impossible to use the site on my phone

There's no way to be all like 'hey, I wanna see the last 5 posts by this person', I think...

Quote: Mancomb Seepgood, Jun 2009
Is there a search function anywhere?

Quote: Howard Hughes, Jun 2009
The features that I've noticed missing that I used alot are the drop down menu at the bottom of the page, the first few and last few page numbers next to the thread title in the forum, and at the moment I can't see any pictures in the gallery.

Quote: Cassius, Jun 2009
Am having a bit of trouble with "view first unread post". I'm clicking on new, but it just brings me to the first page of the thread.

Quote: vespertilio, Jun 2009
1. Time Last online/Last post/Last pm section is gone, as is looking at last 5-25 posts feature.
2. I really liked when the individual posts were alternating colours so it was clear.
3. Could there be a reply box on the bottom of the page as well as this pop up one too please? Sometimes this takes a while to load, plus I liked being able to scroll up and down the page and add quotes and things from the thread if I needed to.
4. The drop-down box at the bottom is gone as has been pointed out.
5. I liked being able to pick the page number I wanted to go to.

Also also also if you make colour schemes again can you do a pink one pleeeeeeeease.

Quote: Little Blue Fox., Jun 2009
Strawberry cannot login at-all, but I am not sure howcome.
She sent me a message...

"i've tried logging in loads of times and it doesn't work for me. Whenever i've tried to log in, it says this on my laptop:

Fission mailed
Unrefined subroutine & main.called
File: index.pl
Line: 166

i don't know what any of that means".

Please can anyone help her at-all. Her email address is...malpas60 (at) hotmail (spot) com

Quote: Tuco, Jun 2009

Safari on me Mac doesn't render the reply box correctly.

Quote: Claire, Jun 2009
Things I've noticed so far:

I've donated, but I can't make myself a member of the VIP Group and a Global Mod unless I'm being a moron.

" Doesn't seem to work, it does the " thing. Don't know if that goes for other characters as yet.

Split/Splice is gone...I used that a few times to move offtopic things etc and it would be handy to have it back. If it's not there already, I could be missing it due to blindness.

Would be good to see when people posted in the shoutbox again & to be able to view past shouts.

"Days since online" in profiles is wrong, it says I haven't been online in three days, I feel like I'm in a paradox.

& Pre-change quotes in PMs and signatures don't seem to work.

I've noticed that the postcount hangs over the post, I dunno if it's meant to..

Icons for Twitter, Facebook etc in Profile are a good idea, but even though I've put the URLs for mine in, they don't show in my profile. Or rather, the icons do, but they don't link to anything.

Quote: Paddy Irishman, Jun 2009
Also, on the menu page, regarding the boxes with the X in them beside each board name, could we get something like the old style whereby that box changes colour or something if a new post has been made in it. I know there is the Last post: 3 minutes ago or whatever, but thats kinda hard to follow sometimes.

Quote: Albi The Racist Dragon, Jun 2009
It's not sorting automatically by most recent post any more. Is there an option or something, or is it just a bug?

Ironically I appear to have found a new bug, or I'm being stupid again. The pagecount only goes up to 5 but this is page 6 so I can't see my post unless I click the thread from the recent posts on the main page. It doesn't move to page 6 if I click the right arrow either

Quote: lisa, Jun 2009
i know it's already been said but i am finding it really really difficult to distinguish between posts without having the colours behind them to break them up a bit

also, the split between a post and a sig seems to be a lot less obvious now, as the dotted line is greyed out... if you get what i mean?

Quote: Skank, Jun 2009
Well, would it be possible if, when you click on the last posted in link on Main, that it takes you to the last post in the thread, as opposed to the first page? I've not explained that very well, I'm afraid.

Also, can we have something very visible like a gold star or something over the board if new posts have been made? I'm finding it difficult to tell if there have been new posts without clicking on the last posted in bit.

Cheers

Quote: The Underwhelmed One, Jun 2009
Double Post!

But I miss having a five minute window to edit things without it showing up on the post.

Edited by Claire Jun 2009

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 10:56 am

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

I'm liking it. User profiles are gone, but who had anything really interesting in them anyway?

Like the new PM system, how you can see the whole conversation rather than going to inbox, outbox, inbox, outbox (shake it all about-box).

I can use the shoutbox again. Big plus point there.

When you're logging in, I like the picture of the log. But having to log in with email rather than username was strange. I had to go through a few of my email addresses I've had over the years to find the correct one.

Will we be getting the collection of all the stupid smilies back?

I'm not too fussed about different colour schemes. But if its possible I'd probably change mine to black or blue. Although the green is growing on me.

I also like how the recent pictures is now Recent picture comments. I was actually going to suggest that a few weeks back but forgot about it

Other than that, great job all round I reckon.

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

Edited by Carpet Remnant Jun 2009
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 11:15 am

Carpet Remnant -

You can still log in with username, it just doesn't say that in the box

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 11:17 am

I aim to misbehave

You can still log in with username, it just doesn't say that in the box

Oh. I think I was halfway through typing it when I saw email address, so deleted it.

In that case, another plus point.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 11:23 am

Carpet Remnant -

I quite like it, very nice and modern. I like to eat waffles with my toes. I make my own syrup for them too if you know what I mean

My one major complaint is I find fixed width sites really difficult and uncomfortable to use, and I'll kill you all if this is not fixed to my satisfaction

Edited by Dinglebutt Jun 2009

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 11:36 am

I aim to misbehave

Just noticed on the front page it says Hello in different ways everytime you refresh it. Nice touch

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 11:42 am

Mancomb Seepgood - Grog me.

Grog me.

This may be a moot point seeing as no-one here is at school anymore, but is it wise for 'plain sh*t' etc to be the sub-header of all the sections? Also, it took about five minutes to work out how to reply. That's more my idiocy though I think.
If I could get an orange that was as low-maintenance as an apple, I'd be a happy man

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 11:44 am

Carpet Remnant -

I like the new font for the site name. Using only one L, very economical, smart move in the current climate, you just don't know where your next L is coming from.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 11:46 am

I aim to misbehave

I like the new font for the site name. Using only one L, very economical, smart move in the current climate, you just don't know where your next L is coming from.

Yeah. My bank said the interest on my loan keeps rising as I haven't paid it off yet. They said if I don't start paying it off soon there'll be L to pay

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 11:49 am

Πανδώρα -

ah... reply button's there...

yeah. this is going to take some getting used to...
also, reply button being where it is makes it impossible to use the site on my phone
i've not tried it through the network yet, only through my wi-fi (i'm not paying bloody 50p when i'm sat 0.8m from the wifi i pay for anyway) but it's impossible to get to the button, even with reducing the zoom to an unreadable level

like i said, it'll probably be a grower, but... eh, for now me no likey.
*burp*

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 11:52 am

Carpet Remnant -

There's no way to be all like 'hey, I wanna see the last 5 posts by this person', I think...

Animal

| 32,547 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 11:55 am

Animal -

B*tch, b*tch, b*tch.

I'm fairly impressed. THe site has been rebuilt from scratch by Mr' Aitken, all on his ownsome.. With its own custom forum softwares.

Its still in its early days so features will likely be added all the time.

Patience children, things will be added over time.
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 11:56 am

Grog me.

Is there a search function anywhere?
If I could get an orange that was as low-maintenance as an apple, I'd be a happy man

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 11:58 am

Carpet Remnant -

It's very good, I did mention that, Mr Aicans skills are plentyful.

Dr. Harold Shipman

| 10,547 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 12:02 pm

Dr. Harold Shipman - Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

So, anyone can edit anyone else's posts eh?

This is gonna be purple monkey PAY JOEL A TENNER dishwasher

Edited by Albi The Racist Dragon Jun 2009

Paula

| 4,556 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 12:03 pm

Paula - King of Knights

King of Knights

Wow, I'm impressed.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 12:04 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Sgt. James Doakes, Jun 2009

This is gonna be interesting.

No, it'll be boring, it'll get boring very very very quickly. In fact, it's already boring, that's right, you're dull, deal with it.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 12:05 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Andjrames does indeed have MADSKILLZ

Darren, any idea when he'll be up here next?

Animal

| 32,547 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 12:23 pm

Animal -

No idea fella.

VR changing is the first sign of life I've seen from him since Feb...

I've been trying to get in touch too. Wouldn't mind going for a few drinks when I'm down in the big smoke in August.

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 12:27 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: Das Burros, Jun 2009

No idea fella.

VR changing is the first sign of life I've seen from him since Feb...

I've been trying to get in touch too. Wouldn't mind going for a few drinks when I'm down in the big smoke in August.

Don't think I've heard off him since the boxing at mine last year Yeah it'd be nice to go for a few beers sometime.

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 12:50 pm

Grog me.

It is all very sexy it should be said. The forum equivalent of Tina Fey.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 12:50 pm

Chris Kamara -

Awesome work as always.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 1:00 pm

When I was on at work, the avatars weren't resizing which meant avs like Dans were f*cking huge and took up a page, but that doesn't seem to be happening here.

Also, the gallery photos aren't there.

Looks nice, tho.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 1:59 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Sgt. James Doakes, Jun 2009

This is gonna be purple monkey dishwasher.

Yeah, I'd rather people didn't do this for now till we know its a definite feature, rather than a bug...

tempted to hit people with a banning stick for doing it, actually.

Damn, I was actually going to edit that to say you'd give us sweets if we kept doing it, but can't edit no more. Ah well, say lavvy

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 2:16 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

The look of the site is fantastic. Totally different to anything we've had before and a big well done to The Jimaitken for his hard work.

The features that I've noticed missing that I used alot are the drop down menu at the bottom of the page, the first few and last few page numbers next to the thread title in the forum, and at the moment I can't see any pictures in the gallery. But as Darren said, it's all in its infancy at the moment, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the site develops.

Again, great work Anjames.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 2:17 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Yeah, I'm pleased with the lot of it.

Am having a bit of trouble with "view first unread post". I'm clicking on new, but it just brings me to the first page of the thread.

Also, feel free to rename secret rants the B*tch About James page, because you'll not see me in there.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 2:21 pm

I aim to misbehave

Also, feel free to rename secret rants the B*tch About James page, because you'll not see me in there.

Don't know if I'll be entering it either. Might do, but I've never been able to get Paypal to work, so don't think I'd be able to access it even if I wanted to

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 2:22 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Don't know if I'll be entering it either. Might do, but I've never been able to get Paypal to work, so don't think I'd be able to access it even if I wanted to

The paypal donate isn't working, I've tried, Andramtkin's gots tos gets paids, he has funded this place out of his own pocket for a fair old time.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 2:28 pm

I aim to misbehave

The paypal donate isn't working, I've tried, Andramtkin's gots tos gets paids, he has funded this place out of his own pocket for a fair old time.

Oh mos def. Its not the Paypal link thats there now thats the problem, if I could actually use Paypal, I would have donated long ago. But I have no credit card and the pre-pay credit card I have can't seem to transfer money to it.

Although after I posted the above post, I was just looking at my bank account there and I think I actually figured it all out, but won't know for a few days. If I get it sorted, I'll definitely donate, even if I don't use the private rants board. Something I've been meaning to do for a long time

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 2:33 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Oh mos def. Its not the Paypal link thats there now thats the problem, if I could actually use Paypal, I would have donated long ago. But I have no credit card and the pre-pay credit card I have can't seem to transfer money to it.

Although after I posted the above post, I was just looking at my bank account there and I think I actually figured it all out, but won't know for a few days. If I get it sorted, I'll definitely donate, even if I don't use the private rants board. Something I've been meaning to do for a long time

Every part of this post is where I am. But I've got a bigger penis.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 2:41 pm

I aim to misbehave

Wow. Your postman is a lucky fella

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 2:53 pm

I aim to misbehave

Also, the censor might need a bit of work. Isn't that right Cassius?

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 2:59 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Also, the censor might need a bit of work. Isn't that right Cassius?

Haha. Yeah. Sh*t.

F*ckbollockscuntw*nkerscrotum.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 3:10 pm

learrggh -

Hallo, I has a few suggestions:

1. Time Last online/Last post/Last pm section is gone, as is looking at last 5-25 posts feature.
2. I really liked when the individual posts were alternating colours so it was clear.
3. Could there be a reply box on the bottom of the page as well as this pop up one too please? Sometimes this takes a while to load, plus I liked being able to scroll up and down the page and add quotes and things from the thread if I needed to.
4. The drop-down box at the bottom is gone as has been pointed out.
5. I liked being able to pick the page number I wanted to go to.

Also also also if you make colour schemes again can you do a pink one pleeeeeeeease.

I like the fact my bunny is on the top of the page. It looks like it is hopping around in some grass.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 3:18 pm

I aim to misbehave

Sorry, Barry? Did you say something?

Ok, we should stop now. This could get dangerous

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 3:20 pm

First of all we should delete every post Gaz ever made
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 3:22 pm

I aim to misbehave

I wonder who has the highest post count

I mean, who currently has the highest post count. MWHAHAHAHA

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 4:27 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Hey, this isn't jim btw, he's still on his hippie trip around the Americas. Should be near a computer in 2 weeks but not due back home before august. He wanted me to keep an eye on this place for him while he's gone. Thought i'd surprise him by having it upgraded for when he get's back. If the paypal link isn't working, just send it to his email. Then get a mod to put you in the right group. It's quite important the site becomes self sufficiant. About a tenner a month, so if 10 people subscribe, it's sorted. I don't think he'll fix any bugs before he's back in the country. it's be nice if someone could put the list of bugs in the first post and keep it up to date.

the site shouald work with everything over ie6. Profiles should still work.

chris. I would have posted sooner but he didn't leave the password for his account!

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 4:50 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: LoonyPandora, Jun 2009
Hey, this isn't jim btw, he's still on his hippie trip around the Americas. Should be near a computer in 2 weeks but not due back home before august. He wanted me to keep an eye on this place for him while he's gone. Thought i'd surprise him by having it upgraded for when he get's back. If the paypal link isn't working, just send it to his email. Then get a mod to put you in the right group. It's quite important the site becomes self sufficiant. About a tenner a month, so if 10 people subscribe, it's sorted. I don't think he'll fix any bugs before he's back in the country. it's be nice if someone could put the list of bugs in the first post and keep it up to date.

chris. I would have posted sooner but he didn't leave the password for his account!

Cheers Chris!

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 6:05 pm

Is the avatar upload thing broken?

I see there's a lot of love for the new design.

Personally, I absolutely hate it.

Finding more things I don't like... Can we have an option to go straight to the last page of a thread rather than having to go to the first page and then click the last page?

Edit again.. I think most of my moans have already been mentioned by others.

Really though, the old site worked fine and was lovely to look at, this one doesn't and isn't.

Edited by Rainbow Jun 2009

Null achen

| 4,780 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 6:24 pm

Null achen -

Argh! Where on earth is the search function?!

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 6:25 pm

learrggh -

Quote: Albi The Racist Dragon, Jun 2009
First of all we should delete every post Gaz ever made

I'll delete your penis if you delete any more of my posts.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 6:28 pm

learrggh -

What's this about a hippie trip? Is Andrew alright?
Which Chris are you?
Will you buy me a bunny?

Animal

| 32,547 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 6:39 pm

Animal -

Wow. No wonder the wee sod hasn't been responding to any messages I've been sending him.

Cycling Antics

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 6:45 pm

Grog me.

And where's the members list? I do think it does look very sweet indeed, but it's a very limited, impractical, near frustrating design that's going to take more than a day or two to get used to. Should there not be a consulatation/questions board for members before such a radical overhaul is done, just for, you know, our ideas on the matter and such?

Evil Ted

| 28 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 7:17 pm

Holier Than Thou

It's all shiny and new. I like the new logo and I don't mind the new features.

I'm going to spend some time getting used to this new design and layout before I give any real feedback, though.

EDIT: Actually, I do have an issue. Page 4 doesn't show for this thread in the page list.

Edited by Evil Ted Jun 2009
Yeah.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 7:28 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: Evil Ted, Jun 2009
It's all shiny and new. I like the new logo and I don't mind the new features.

I'm going to spend some time getting used to this new design and layout before I give any real feedback, though.

EDIT: Actually, I do have an issue. Page 4 doesn't show for this thread in the page list.

and you are?

Evil Ted

| 28 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 7:40 pm

Holier Than Thou

and you are?

I lurk, sir.
Yeah.

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 8:32 pm

Jewbacca -

Wow. No wonder the wee sod hasn't been responding to any messages I've been sending him.

that's not just me then? i thought he was p*ssed at me for barfing all over his couch

oh wow, just clicked reply and nice awesome new-stuff has happened. cool.
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Vel

| 23,203 posts

19th Jun 2009 at 8:56 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

I personally like it, though the censors need some tweaking.

And if "Gillian Stupid Scrawny Witch McKeith" still isn't in, ooog there'll be hell to pay
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: