Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

21st Feb 2007 at 12:55 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Quote: Little_Blue_Fox
Title: The Village.
Genre: Horror and drama.
Good actors: Adrien Brody, Bryce Dallas Howard, Joquin Phoenx, Sigorney Weaver.
Products Placements: None.
Minutes too long: None.
Deaths: One.
Attractive males: Joquin Phoenx
Attractive females: Bryce Dallas Howard is really pretty and sweet.
Best Quote: “Some people, just a handful, mind you, give off the tiniest colour - like a haze - it's all I ever see in the darkness”.
Highlight: All the characters and story are really deep and complicated and important. It is really pretty and peaceful. Also, the secret twist is really surprising and smart.
Lowlight: It is pretty slow, sometimes, but it is sort of helpful to explain everything and also develop everything properly; it is like a book, I think.
Score: 9 secret floorboards out of 10.

*Squirrel of Doom dies

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

21st Feb 2007 at 1:00 pm

Outside-left

Quote: Why_was_the_broom_late
Quote: Jarno_Trulli
Quote: Little_Blue_Fox
Title: The Village.
Genre: Horror and drama.
Good actors: Adrien Brody, Bryce Dallas Howard, Joquin Phoenx, Sigorney Weaver.
Deaths: One.
Attractive males: Joquin Phoenx
Attractive females: Bryce Dallas Howard is really pretty and sweet.
Best Quote: “Some people, just a handful, mind you, give off the tiniest colour - like a haze - it's all I ever see in the darkness”.
Highlight: All the characters and story are really deep and complicated and important. It is really pretty and peaceful. Also, the secret twist is really surprising and smart.
Lowlight: It is pretty slow, sometimes, but it is sort of helpful to explain everything and also develop everything properly; it is like a book, I think.
Score: 9 secret floorboards out of 10.

*Squirrel of Doom dies

I liked the village, although I understand why many many many people didn't. 9 is quite kind though, 7/8 imho.

I can't think of a decent film M Night Syhamamlan (yea, what the f*ck??) film. The endings to them...oh my sweet dancing jehovah. Still, i can see what there is to like if you like everything handed to you on a plate

Colin

| 10,038 posts

26th Feb 2007 at 12:52 pm

Colin -

Title: Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
Genre: Teen comedy/fantasy
Good actors: It's not about the acting
Products Placements: Battleships, Cluedo, God, etc.
Minutes too long: Zero
Death: Yes, he's in it.
Attractive males: Keanu
Attractive females: I didn't really notice. Their fiancées ain't bad.
Pervs in the audience: I watched it at home, on Channel 5. They always show this one, while I haven't seen the original in a while.
Highlight: Almost every line Bill and/or Ted say.
Lowlight: Using that Argent/Kiss song. God and rock don't mix...
Best Quote:
While falling down a totally deep hole:
*scream*
"Dude, this is a totally deep hole!"
"Yeah..."
*scream*
"Bill, wanna play Twenty Questions?"
"Yeah!"
Rating: 8 actors playing characters younger than themselves out of 10
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Topper

| 6,773 posts

26th Feb 2007 at 12:52 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Title: Transformers - The Movie (Not the new one, obv
Whassitabout? A civil war between good transforming robots (Autobots) and bad transforming robots (Decepticons) which is sort of overshadowed (literally) by a gigantic all-consuming robot plnet transformer, played by Orson Welles, called Unicron, which is threatening to devour pretty much everything.
Genre: Animated Robotic Fantasy
Good actors: Orson Welles has a voice to die for as Unicron (Incidentally, this was his final film before kicking ze bucket). Spok's in it too.
Deaths: Loads of robotic "deaths", including *blubs* Optimus Prime himself.
Attractive males: Hot Rod and Springer have a certain appeal. Not to me, obviously, I'm not a weirdo.
Attractive females: I think there's one female Transformer in the whole thing and she's a robot.
Highlight: The whole thing's magical but I particularly liked the ending and the scene on the junk planet with Eric Idle's character, Wreck-Gar (spl?). Oh, and the creation of Galvatron and Cyclonus is ace too.
Lowlight: Hmm, nothing really, although the human characters are a bit annoying.
Best Quote: "Me Grimlock!"
Rating: If I seperate my personal feelings for the film for a moment, I'd give it 7, but I can't do that for long, so 10.
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

26th Feb 2007 at 1:34 pm

Jewbacca -

I think I remember a scene in The Persuit of Happiness where Will shaves... But I may be wrong.

Lolz at product placement = bone density scann0rz.

Anyway.

Title: 8 Mile
Genre: Oh no I'm poor! But I can rap! Yay!
Good actors: Marshall Bruce Mathers II. Lots of others too.
Products Placements: Budweiser, Chevrolet, Dr. Pepper, Heinz, McDonald's.
Minutes too long: None
Highlight: A lot of the rapping is very good, particularly Alabama. The DVD special features are very good too.
Lowlight: Iunno.
Best Quote:
Rabbit: Hey Sol, do you ever wonder at what point you just got to say f*ck it man like when you gotta stop living up here and start living down here?
Sol: It's 7.30 in the morning dawg.
Rating: 7.76 rapping bunnies out of 10.

I like it. And that smartarse reviewer who said you should stay well over 8 miles away from this movie has no taste.
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

27th Feb 2007 at 12:12 am

Jewbacca -

Same here, although to be honest I've not seen many other foreign language films.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

27th Feb 2007 at 12:48 am

Outside-left

Title: The Big Lebowski
Genre: Comedy, i think
Good actors: Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi, Julianne Moore
Products Placements: Kahlua. Lots and lots of Kahlua
Minutes too long: Could have done with losing 15 minutes.
Deaths: Buscemi, heart attack. I can't remember if Flea and the Nihilists died.
Attractive males: None.
Attractive females: Possibly Julianne Moore. She looked good in this film. Tara Reid isn't an attractive female.
Pervs in the audience: A lot of stoners love p*rn, so i imagine so
Highlight: "Oh the usual, i bowl, drive around, the occasional acid flashback"
Lowlight: Buscemi dies. Would never happen in real life.
Rating: 8 bowling pins downed on the lane.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

27th Feb 2007 at 12:19 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Title: Serenity.
Genre: Science-Fiction.
Good actors: All the actors are really good.
Deaths: Three, and also lots of others too.
Attractive males: Mal, Simon, Wash?
Attractive females: Kaylee, River.
Best Quote: "I am a leaf on the wind".
Highlight: It is really exciting it is a Firefly movie - there are lots of secrets about River and the Reavers. All the new characters are really good too. It is a really neat movie all by itself too - it is really funny and smart and sweet and sad. - All the action bits are really cool. Also, all the characters are really important.
Lowlight: Some bits are sort of confusing a tiny bit if you did not see Firefly on TV.
Score: 8 browncoats out of 10.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 8:34 pm

Jewbacca -

Read my review, it's better than Claires!

Title? The Number 23.
Genre? Weird with funny bits.

Good actors? Yes, Jim Carrey gives a great performance and the kid/mum are great too.
Products Placements?
The number 23. Duh, Claire
Minutes too long? The first 20 mins were fine imho, I can see how they would be loseable to some people but seeing Jim Carrey on le grande screen was entertainment enough for me.
Deaths? Claire is right with 3, I think.

Attractive males? Jim Carrey is quite hot in some bits
Attractive females? The 'suicide blonde'. Too bad she commited suicide. Well, with a name like that it was always going to end badly....

Best Quotes:
Kid: Wait a minuite, we live at *makes vague connection to number 23*
Jim Carrey: (Slowly and loudly) OH MY GOD!

Jim Carrey: (To policeman) We're not crazy! We just circled every 23rd word on every 23rd page of some book and it told us to come down here!

Highlight: Finding out who the author is.
Lowlight: Why does the old man kill himself?
Middlelight: I thought finding out who the author was a horrible idea when it happend, but they made it work.

Score: 8 out of 10.

Go and see it. Don't argue. Just do.

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 2:51 am

Jewbacca -

I actually reckon it worked really well as a serious psychological thriller too.

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

19th Mar 2007 at 8:43 pm

Jewbacca -

Your mention of token white guy reminded me of what you were saying about 24 the other night at bop... About how when the main black character leaves the show they bring in another one almost instantly as if to say "Look! We've got a black guy! We're not racist!". Brilliant

29xthepain

| 1,583 posts

20th Mar 2007 at 3:17 pm

29xthepain - the rotten egg of an angry political goose...

the rotten egg of an angry political goose...

Title: Ghost Rider
Genre: Comic Book/ aCTION
Basic Plot: gUY DOES DEAL WITH DEVIL TO SAVE DAD, DEVIL SAVES DAD but kills him anyway... guy is forced to be devils bounty hunter by night collecting souls... guy fights evil, meets devil and swears vengeance...
Good actors: Nicholas CaGE, but he's about 15 years too old for the part. Still he's obviously a fan and his enthusiasm shines!
Minutes too long: about half an hour...not that that would've provided a satisfactory ending...
Deaths: A few...
Hotties: Eva Mendes, but someone must've been awayt when she was cast cos she's terrible! TERRIBLE!
Pervs in the audience: none noticed
Best Quote:
Caretaker: You alright?
Johnny Blaze: Yeah, I'm good. I feel like my skull's on fire, but I'm good.
Highlight: Ghost Rider himself! The film comes across as a bit of a labour of love! They've managed to stay reasonably faithful to the comics and the rider sure looks purty!
Lowlight: eva mendes! On this form she'd have trouble acting her way out of a sock...
Score: 6.5/10 (Nic Cage gets a good 9/10 though!) I really wanted this film to be brilliant but it just isn't! Worth a look mind, if only for Nic Cage enjoying himself though he does that elvis pointy finger thing he does in so many of his films...
...I'm the all night drug-prowling wolf
Who looks so sick in the sun
Im the white man in the palais
Just lookin for fun...

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

21st Mar 2007 at 9:42 pm

Jewbacca -

Title: Sammy Tsang The Illusionist
Genre: Brilliant movie
Basic Plot: A young boy learns to do magic and impresses this rather tasty rich b*tch, they try to elope (probably) but she is caught and he travels the world alone performing his illusions. Until one day, they meet again...
Good actors: Flawless imho
Products Placements: Just one scene where they eat at McDonalds
Minutes too long: Zero
Hotties: Oooo0o that police constable could arrest me anytime he wanted.
Best Quote: "Promise me you wont do that again!" "I promise you you'll enjoy tonights show".
Highlight: The ending was quite good, and the magic tricks were fun. Ooo! Favourite bit was the sword trick.
Lowlight: Beards. Crown Prince Leopold also had a rather offensive moustache. I liked Eisenheim's facial hair though, he had it goin' on.
Score: 9 out of 10

Wiki makes me like this movie even more:
"So that the crew would not have to use CGI to "fake" the magical illusions seen in the movie, Norton received intensive training in sleight of hand and other stage magic techniques from British magician James Freedman[6] and Ricky Jay.[7]"

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

26th Mar 2007 at 12:46 pm

Quote: Iris
I finally got to see it - hurrah!

Title: Pan's Labyrinth
Genre: Fantasy/War
Good actors: The little girl was really good, and Mercedes. Thought the mother was a bit wooden...
Products Placements: Grapes?
Minutes too long: None. Infact i'd have liked it to be longer.
Deaths: Yes
Attractive males: none
Attractive females: the mother was frequently referred to as pretty/beautiful...so her.
Pervs in the audience: Zero
Highlight: Revenge on El Capitain.
Lowlight: I'd have enjoyed more fantasy time I suppose.
Best Quote: I can't think of anything either
Rating: 10 out of 10.

You know what? I was actually expecting this to be way more violent and gory than it is from what I'd heard. I'm glad it wasn't. I really loved it. I'd recommend it to everyone, even if you don't watch many subtitled films, this definitely a must-see. Only wish I'd made the effort to see it at the cinema instead of on dvd.

I think the violence works a lot more in the cinema....I went to see it a couple of weeks back with Margaux, we were cowering in our seats at those bits because it was so...shocking.

Also, does anyone else think scary man with eyes in his hands looks like he's been made out of the fat you see around kidneys when you dissect them in biology?

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

26th Mar 2007 at 9:29 pm

learrggh -

Title: 300
Genre:Swords 'n sandals orgy.
Good actors: Wenham was a bad choice for narrator as he has quite a weak voice which doesn't carry much emotion. The woman who played Queen Gorgo was trying her damndest to act her little socks off but reminded me too much of the likes of Keira Knightley. Otherwise, no problems, but there weren't exactly any Oscar-winning performances here.
Products Placements: Umm. Hotpants?
Minutes too long: Too many slow-motion shots which didn't need to be there, and the intro seemed to last half of the film.
Deaths: They push over a wall of corpses at one point. And there are further corpses nailed all over a tree. I think it is safe to say the death count is pretty high.
Attractive males: If you like your men to look like tanks in loincloths.
Attractive females: The 'drunken adolescent girl' oracle seemed pretty enough, but she is on screen for maybe fifteen seconds in which she has an epileptic fit and then lies around drooling so um. Aye.
Pervs in the audience: No, the sex scenes seemed to induce more sniggers than boners.
Highlight:The Immortals were well designed.
Lowlight:The contrast is up higher than the freakin' sun. The endless slow motion shots, lack of depth to any of the characters, the massively varying accents. They massacred the plotline when history already had it spelled out for them.
Best Quote: There was a reference to the Spartans' paedophilia at one point, I believe.
Rating: 7/10. Distinctly average.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

27th Mar 2007 at 12:18 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Title: Stranger Than Fiction.
Genre:Romantic Comedy.
Good actors: Will Ferrell, Maggie Gyllenhall, Dustin Hoffman, Emma Thompson, Queen Lativfah.
Deaths: It is a secret.
Attractive males: Will Ferrell?
Attractive females: Maggie Gyllenhall is really pretty.
Best Quote: "Harold nervously tried to make small-talk, 'You have very striaght teeth'. Very small talk.....He quickly calculated the odds of making an a*se of himself if he continued talking. 'I have to get off! This is my stop!' ".
"But a person who knows when he will die, and how, and yet willing is ready to die; isn't that a person you should try to keep alive?".
Highlight: It is really funny and smart, but also really sad and sweet too. It is like Being John Malkovitch and The Truman Show mixed together, I think. It is really sweet Harold and Karen noth make eachother lots more hopeful and happy, but they do not realise.
Lowlight: None.
Score: 9 Bavarian sugar cookies out of 10.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

27th Mar 2007 at 4:02 pm

learrggh -

Quote: Lakeside_Mile
Quote: kryptonite

Best Quote: There was a reference to the Spartans' paedophilia at one point, I believe.

The reference was to Athenian Boy Lovers not to Spartans...

Darn. I didn't hear it in the cinema but read on another forum is was there.
The Spartans did the whole institutionalised pederasty thing too.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

27th Mar 2007 at 4:04 pm

learrggh -

Aye.

Snazzberry

| 2,526 posts

28th Mar 2007 at 12:07 am

Snazzberry - i r lion. i r bite you.

i r lion. i r bite you.

ooo yeah it really was! a will ferrell movie worth seeing
[quote author=the doc link=1161728632/360#370 date=1193262367]If i wanna scratch me balls i use a hedgehog like everyone else.[/quote]

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

29th Mar 2007 at 12:55 am

Jewbacca -

Title: 300
Weview: Best movie ever. Yes, even better than The Breakfast Club. I loved every second. 10/10.

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

29th Mar 2007 at 12:37 pm

Hmmmph. I liked The Breakfast Club. It wasn't the defining film of my youth, but I liked it anyway. I just wish the girl who wasn't Molly Ringwald had been prettier.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

29th Mar 2007 at 8:05 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: PLATINUM
The Breakfast Club is sh*t though...

WRONG!!

Quote: Iodine
in summary The Breakfast Club is f*cking awful.

WRONG!!!!

Quote: NEON
Hmmmph. I liked The Breakfast Club. It wasn't the defining film of my youth, but I liked it anyway. I just wish the girl who wasn't Molly Ringwald had been prettier.

CORRECTAMUNDO! - WE HAVE A WINNER!

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

29th Mar 2007 at 8:23 pm

Look everyone, I was right!

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: