Fitness Thread

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 9:36 am

Chris Kamara -

I had a Bacon barm myself, and then a protein shake, after a 40 minute weights session. Be reyt.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 3:35 pm

Dissimulation -

Quote: Dissimulation
That's not a bad idea.
I think there might be one knocking about at my parents' house that I'll have to try and dig out. I found today, stepping up the intensity, my breath felt quite short, like my lungs weren't expanding to their full potential.

6 days cold turkey on the smoking now, which is annoying considering they reckon it takes 9 months to a year for your lung capacity to fully recover.  

2 weeks later and 20 days cold Turkey on the smoking now (3 weeks tomorrow).  

Making quality progress with the running, too. Another 4 weeks today and if all goes to plan, I will be able to run 30 minutes without stopping and then I'll move on to a training regime for a 10k race for charity.

Edited by Dissimulation Sept 2008

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

14th Sept 2008 at 7:24 am

learrggh -

Got back on Friday from my holiday. I did lots of mountain biking & swimming and also climbing and table tennis and stuff.

And one session of rollerblading which made me realise once again how goddamn f*cking awful my feet are - the pronation is so bad i was practically blading on my inside ankles. Unfortunately there's not much I can do about that.

Now I'm back home I don't want to turn into a vegetable, so I've been asking the 'rents to go halves with me on an exersize bike, and hoping to go back to ballet once I've stretched out my hips enough.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

15th Sept 2008 at 7:49 pm

Dissimulation -

Fantastic effort today. Couple miles running into a 4 mile ish walk followed by a 1 mile sprint. Butterless mash potato, roast beef, runner beans, carrots and gravy for tea. Gonna hit the weights tomorrow before my football match. Feeling better each day to be honest.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

15th Sept 2008 at 8:06 pm

Dissimulation -

90kg on free weights?

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

15th Sept 2008 at 8:17 pm

Chris Kamara -

Fantastic effort today. Couple miles running into a 4 mile ish walk followed by a 1 mile sprint. Butterless mash potato, roast beef, runner beans, carrots and gravy for tea. Gonna hit the weights tomorrow before my football match. Feeling better each day to be honest.

Sh*t hot form. You're doing quality, nice one mate. I didn't do much at the gym today; I didn't have my gloves and I didn't have much time; but tomorrow I'll be giving it a proper session, and on Weds, Thurs, Fri and Sat, Sarah is in Ireland, so most of my spare time will be in the gym. I'm expecting 2 hours + each day on the weights. I'm going to hit the cardio regularly after the weekend as well; starting a week today. I'll be doing 30 minutes of weights and 30 minutes of cardio (mix of the rowing machine and the stepper, probably.)

I'll also be taking notes of what weights I'm lifting each day for each exercise and then making sure I add to it each week.

Slow and steady progress currently; it's definition that needs the most work.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

15th Sept 2008 at 8:34 pm

Chris Kamara -

Beginning to look forward to cardio actually; I'm interested to see how I'll improve. And also, it'll be superb every other Sunday when I play football and I outlast the lot of them  

Still, I won't run before I can walk

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

15th Sept 2008 at 9:16 pm

Dissimulation -

Quote: farmer_jack

Sh*t hot form. You're doing quality, nice one mate. I didn't do much at the gym today; I didn't have my gloves and I didn't have much time; but tomorrow I'll be giving it a proper session, and on Weds, Thurs, Fri and Sat, Sarah is in Ireland, so most of my spare time will be in the gym. I'm expecting 2 hours + each day on the weights. I'm going to hit the cardio regularly after the weekend as well; starting a week today. I'll be doing 30 minutes of weights and 30 minutes of cardio (mix of the rowing machine and the stepper, probably.)

I'll also be taking notes of what weights I'm lifting each day for each exercise and then making sure I add to it each week.

Slow and steady progress currently; it's definition that needs the most work.

Adding some decent cardio sessions to your exercise regime, quality.

I think if I was doing this running programme in a gym, I would've packed it in by now. Even after just 3 weeks. Outside of the gym though, it's f*cking fantastic. I worked out the distance I covered today, despite a good 4 miles of walking was just under 13k.

If this is useful to anyone else, you can use google earth to calculate run/walking distances. Click on the measure tool, select measure as a path and then careful map your route.

Turns out the mile sprint at the end was over a mile

klinsmann18

| 10,181 posts

15th Sept 2008 at 10:28 pm

klinsmann18 - Matt.

Matt.

When I did my prep training for joining the Navy about three years ago (it never happened btw, see going deaf for more) i ran what I'd worked out on the map as 1.5 miles every day, to try and get under the 12 minute barrier or whatever it was. I mastered this quite quickly before the whole plan went tits up.

I've just used Google earth to calculate the distance, and it turns out i was actually running 2.17 miles. I was fitter than i thought.
When you get here, the Welcome To This Town sign, it scares little kids with it's skulls and it's gore
When you leave here, the Get The Hell Out sign is well kept and pretty with floral decor

Me and Jez - King and Queen lobster spam team!!

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

16th Sept 2008 at 5:33 pm

Chris Kamara -

Trained a lot better today, although I could have carried on another 45 minutes but I had to get back.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

16th Sept 2008 at 5:38 pm

learrggh -

pretty much stopped eating. can't sit still. my nerves are shot 24/7. not sleeping.

how i love thee, methylphenidate. -_-

gonna buy a vat of vodka and down five shots every time i want to sleep or smt.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

16th Sept 2008 at 11:29 pm

Chris Kamara -

The photo thing begins again. Once a month I'll take a new snap and see if I'm working towards my goals.

Key areas for the next month will be burning fat all over, and working hard on my stomach and chest. I'd also like to see some proper separation with my triceps; no doubt that's a while off though.

Plenty of gains to be made but I reckon I can stick at it, all being well.

September 16th:
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.com/resources/uploads/september_16.jpg]

And now it really begins.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

16th Sept 2008 at 11:31 pm

Chris Kamara -

Oh yeah, 12 stone 10lb at the gym today. I'll weigh myself again in a month.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

16th Sept 2008 at 11:35 pm

learrggh -

um chap, honest question here, why are your shoulders so sloping?

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

16th Sept 2008 at 11:39 pm

Chris Kamara -

Probably a mixture of a poor angle and working them with heavy weights a couple of days a week. They used to be a bit broader to be honest but the wife tends to kick off about it, and it's my duty to keep her happy, or something.

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

17th Sept 2008 at 9:12 am

TinyShine -

The wife doesn't like the incredible hulk shoulders ! They are sloping because you have a big bulging muscle in the middle! STOP WORKING ON THE SHOULDERS!!

Sarah xx

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

17th Sept 2008 at 2:29 pm

learrggh -

I have bony wee shoulders that dislocate a lot.
At least, the right one does.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

18th Sept 2008 at 4:53 pm

Chris Kamara -

Skipped the gym entirely today. Regretting it now, but this morning I was pretty sore and thought a day off would be useful. Bored sh*tless now instead.

Only 2 more weights-only sessions at the gym until I start cardio as well :-?

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

18th Sept 2008 at 6:47 pm

Chris Kamara -

It is hard going, eating all the protein. To build muscle you should aim to eat around 1.8g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight. For me that equates to over 320g of protein per day. That's a sh*t load, given that my main source is probably tuna which is only 30g per tin. Protein shakes come in handy but I'm having to force feed them to myself, and I'm certainly not hitting 300g+. More like 200g maximum; I really need to address this by eating less carbs, same as yourself.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

18th Sept 2008 at 7:17 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

It is hard going, eating all the protein. To build muscle you should aim to eat around 1.8g of protein per 1lb of bodyweight. For me that equates to over 320g of protein per day. That's a sh*t load, given that my main source is probably tuna which is only 30g per tin. Protein shakes come in handy but I'm having to force feed them to myself, and I'm certainly not hitting 300g+. More like 200g maximum; I really need to address this by eating less carbs, same as yourself.

What about tuna omelettes? Or steak and eggs? Combining the protein of both might be good in that respect. A fella in knew in my time in the U.S. had a beef brisket with 2 poached eggs for breakfast everyday and he was ripped.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

18th Sept 2008 at 7:19 pm

Chris Kamara -

Unfortunately, I can't stomach eggs. I really miss out there.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

18th Sept 2008 at 7:24 pm

Outside-left

Unfortunately, I can't stomach eggs. I really miss out there.

Not even in omelette form?

What about the dock workers breakfast on The Wire? Crack an egg into a pint of beer and down in one.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

18th Sept 2008 at 7:26 pm

Chris Kamara -

Haha, back when I was young and naive I'd have tried it; but not anymore! I will try Omelletes again though, I'm sure I can disguise the taste with Pek and cheese or something. Haven't had them for a number of years so maybe I might have changed tastes.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

18th Sept 2008 at 7:29 pm

Outside-left

Good stuff. I don't know how i'd function without my morning eggs on toast. Stops me from eating crap later on in the day too.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

18th Sept 2008 at 7:30 pm

Outside-left

Quote: biggaginge
I suddenly stopped being able to stomach eggs a couple of weeks back, found out on a friday night just before I went out an all  

BLACK RAGE! BLACK RAGE!

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

18th Sept 2008 at 7:31 pm

Outside-left

Quote: Squirrell_of_Doom
I suddenly stopped being able to stomach eggs a couple of weeks back, found out on a friday night just before I went out an all  

BLACK RAGE! BLACK RAGE!

Everytime i see that scene i think of you

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

19th Sept 2008 at 9:50 am

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

BLACK RAGE! BLACK RAGE!

Everytime i see that scene i think of you

f*ck Lando Calrissian!

And then you got Darth Vader, the blackest brother in the galaxy, Nubian god!

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

19th Sept 2008 at 12:02 pm

learrggh -

I'm hungry. Whattoeat. ;o

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

19th Sept 2008 at 4:50 pm

learrggh -

He also has a mangina.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

19th Sept 2008 at 4:59 pm

Chris Kamara -

All the above speculation is true.

Only did 50 minutes today; but absolutely every repetition was perfect form, so I'm happy enough. Plus I'm back tomorrow morning so I didn't want to overdo it.

And nice one Phil, lets hope they hurt like hell tomorrow What exercises did you do on your shoulders?

Edited by Chris Kamara Sept 2008

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

19th Sept 2008 at 6:07 pm

Chris Kamara -

I've taken to the chest press quite a bit lately. 8 reps of 80kg in perfect form. I could probably do more weight but then the form would suffer and I'm trying to squeeze every contraction, nice and slowly. I reckon the next 3 or 4 weeks should offer some good gains if I keep up like this.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

19th Sept 2008 at 6:22 pm

Chris Kamara -

It's pretty dear for decent protein powders, in my opinion. I tend to stick to Promax, but I've had a number of different brands in the past.

[http://www.fitnessmegastore.co.uk/nutrition-2/protein-powders-3/promax-neutral-%5B450g%5D-maximuscle-124-111_related.jpg]

Creatine probably gives me the best gains but you have to be careful not to overdo it with that.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

19th Sept 2008 at 6:24 pm

Chris Kamara -

Aye good idea that. What are you looking to achieve overall?

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: