Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

27th Aug 2008 at 2:38 pm

learrggh -

Quote: Lemony_Zester
Quote: Paddy_Irishman
Quote: Squirrell_of_Doom
I've done a bit of research into the science behind exercise and how it affects the body over the past few months - apparently the first 20-25 minutes of exercise burn off glucose reserves before you even begin to start burning fat, so you're meant to do 20-25 minutes of resistance exercise before you hit the cardio. So i'll probably do weights and stretches for half an hour before starting doing any cycling or running.

Whats resistance training? When I started in the gym the trainer put me on a program to lose weight. It was 10 minutes on the rowing machine, then some stretching, then 15 minutes treadmill, 15 minutes cross trainer, 10 minutes cycling, 5 minutes cool down using the big rubber ball thing, then some stretching to finish. Although I no longer do the treadmill cos it really hurt my legs, even just walking. Apparantly I walk wrong but I dont know why. So I do a few weights instead of the treadmill. Anyone whos smarted than me tell me if this is a good routine? Aside from the healthy eating and stuff

Do your legs hurt when you wear your trainers apart from the gym? I found that with one pair of mine, they were slightly too big and the wrong shape and this meant the arch of my foot wasn't supported and caused a lot of pain.
I think if your feet aren't supported properly you can get pains elsewhere too, though am not certain.

Aye it's true. If your arches collapse when you stand it throws off your posture and can cause a lot of aches and pains, especially in the lower back and knees.
People with low, weak or very high arches should wear orthotics for support even if their arches haven't fallen, too.

Also my physio said today it takes six weeks to build muscle, thought I might add that to the discussion.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

27th Aug 2008 at 11:21 pm

Chris Kamara -

I got up early and went to the gym before work. I had a decent session; for my first one back it was okay. Then I went to work. Came home, went out. Had a few pints. Then had a KFC.

Oh dear.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

27th Aug 2008 at 11:27 pm

Dissimulation -

Quote: farmer_jack
Came home, went out. Had a few pints. Then had a KFC.

Don't be too disheartened, mate. KFC is a well known antidote in the field of beer belly prevention. Plus, if you just make sure you stick to nothing but healthy food tomorrow, it'll balance itself out anyway.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

27th Aug 2008 at 11:53 pm

Dissimulation -

I'm bored so I worked out what my KFC order would equate to in calories.

Zinger Tower Burger: 714kcal.
Large Fries: 430Kcal.
Large Popcorn Chicken: 660kcal.
Large Pepsi: 280kcal.

Total Calories: 2084kcal
Total Fat: 101.1g
Total Carbs: 231.7g
Total Protein: 67.2g

The popcorn chicken is the least healthiest of the four, strangely.

Makes you think.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

28th Aug 2008 at 9:05 am

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

I feel I should probably join in on this, if a bit late. So, currently I'm 5"3 and not entirely sure of my weight (it likes to fluctuate anywhere between 9 and 10 stone), but according to wii fit I have a BMI of 23.5. I'd like to get that down. However, I would like to think that some of the weight is muscle as I weighed less before I went to America last year and I had a LOT of university fat on me then, while last year I didn't put on as much weight and could notice I was stronger and fitter from kickboxing.

Unfortunately, for the next two weeks I'm not going to be able to get to a gym as I'm interning in London, so if anyone has any ideas for exercises that can be done in a small room to get me working before university that would be good.

When back at university I will return to kickboxing at least twice a week, and try and get myself to the more hardcore Friday session as much as possible. I will also get round to checking out Maindy pool and, seeing as I have about five hours of contact time a week now, I WILL make time to go and use it. Apparently you have to go three times a week for it to become a habit, so I will attempt this. John likes swimming, so I might try and persuade him to come with me- I work better when I have someone to make me go/work.

I also need to cut down on the junk I eat. Work has been really bad because I get there early and don't get lunch for hours, so get really hungry but the only food we have lying around are biscuits. We also have too ready a supply of Ben & Jerry's/chocolate in the house, so I don't have to work to fight cravings/ignore them like I would at university, but instead can easily give into them. Hopefully interning will get me back on track of not being able to snack whenever, and so long as Grandma doesn't make dessert every night, I won't have that option either. I will also stop making meals with my housemates as half the time they prefer to buy stuff you shove in the oven, which is high in salt and fat and stuff, and I will save money specifically so I can afford to eat better/healthier.

Mum has just discovered she is close to having a dangerously high blood pressure, which is heridatory through her side of the family. (Her grandma died at 56 from a heart attack, and her Mum/my Nan has been on medication since she was my Mum's age). Obviously it's not a concern yet- my blood pressure is definitly healthy, it gets checked regularly when I get the pill- but getting into a healthy lifestyle now, eating right, etc, could help me prevent ending up like that when I'm older, so any other tips for what I could be doing would help?

Oh, and the main area I want to lose weight from is my stomach. What exercise is best for this, because kickboxing just seems to maintain my weight and build up fitness/strength rather than help lose any.
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

28th Aug 2008 at 5:57 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: girlpants
Quote:
Anyone got any diet tips for a tight budget?

I have some, but I will have to post them when I get back from football. First time I've played since the start of July. I'm gonna be knackered.

Long game of footie, there 'Tin.

Apologies.

Tips for eating well on a budget, in my experience:

Bulk buy pasta, tuna, potatoes and pre-cook enough pasta for a few lunches. Buy a couple of tuppaware boxes and take tuna and pasta to work, perhaps chop up some vegetables and mix them in, or some salad. Jacket potatoes are a good nutritious meal so long as you don't load them with unhealthy toppings.

Another thing is, when you go shopping, make sure you eat before hand, that way you won't feel as inclined to splash out on impulse buys.

Stuff like rice, cereals, etc, you might as well just buy the supermarkets own brand, because they're basically the same and they're much cheaper. Plus again they last a while and they're quite versatile. You can have rice with allsorts, and cereal is a great start to the day. Breakfast is important, it'll help stop you eating a load at lunch, and lunches are invariably dearer than a bowl of cereal.

Wholegrain bread is reasonably priced. You could buy a large loaf and freeze it, then take out the slices you want for toast, or sandwiches, and defrost as neccesary.

Avoid buying drinks. There's no point. Water comes out of the tap and it's free. To mix things up a bit, buy supermarket brand soda water and have a couple of glasses of that in the day. Water is free, but it's also rather boring.

If you make a big stew, it'll last you a good few days, and it can be highly nutritious. Initially for all the ingredients it's a little dear, but when you spread the cost over three meals, it's quite reasonable.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

28th Aug 2008 at 9:05 pm

Chris Kamara -

Blending cans of tuna up and drinking them; that's where the protein hit is at

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

28th Aug 2008 at 9:10 pm

Chris Kamara -

Haha, no ta!

I've been to the gym twice in two days. Yesterday was a poor show, I must admit. Today, however, I cained it. Boxing with weights in my hands was the highlight; although I'm suffering for it now.

Looking forward to going back tomorrow, and then Saturday. So long as I work hard both times then I shall allow myself the Sunday off and take my wife out for tea.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

28th Aug 2008 at 10:37 pm

learrggh -

Quote: illusiveshadow
I feel I should probably join in on this, if a bit late. So, currently I'm 5"3 and not entirely sure of my weight (it likes to fluctuate anywhere between 9 and 10 stone), but according to wii fit I have a BMI of 23.5. I'd like to get that down. However, I would like to think that some of the weight is muscle as I weighed less before I went to America last year and I had a LOT of university fat on me then, while last year I didn't put on as much weight and could notice I was stronger and fitter from kickboxing.

Unfortunately, for the next two weeks I'm not going to be able to get to a gym as I'm interning in London, so if anyone has any ideas for exercises that can be done in a small room to get me working before university that would be good.

When back at university I will return to kickboxing at least twice a week, and try and get myself to the more hardcore Friday session as much as possible. I will also get round to checking out Maindy pool and, seeing as I have about five hours of contact time a week now, I WILL make time to go and use it. Apparently you have to go three times a week for it to become a habit, so I will attempt this. John likes swimming, so I might try and persuade him to come with me- I work better when I have someone to make me go/work.

I also need to cut down on the junk I eat. Work has been really bad because I get there early and don't get lunch for hours, so get really hungry but the only food we have lying around are biscuits. We also have too ready a supply of Ben & Jerry's/chocolate in the house, so I don't have to work to fight cravings/ignore them like I would at university, but instead can easily give into them. Hopefully interning will get me back on track of not being able to snack whenever, and so long as Grandma doesn't make dessert every night, I won't have that option either. I will also stop making meals with my housemates as half the time they prefer to buy stuff you shove in the oven, which is high in salt and fat and stuff, and I will save money specifically so I can afford to eat better/healthier.

Mum has just discovered she is close to having a dangerously high blood pressure, which is heridatory through her side of the family. (Her grandma died at 56 from a heart attack, and her Mum/my Nan has been on medication since she was my Mum's age). Obviously it's not a concern yet- my blood pressure is definitly healthy, it gets checked regularly when I get the pill- but getting into a healthy lifestyle now, eating right, etc, could help me prevent ending up like that when I'm older, so any other tips for what I could be doing would help?

Oh, and the main area I want to lose weight from is my stomach. What exercise is best for this, because kickboxing just seems to maintain my weight and build up fitness/strength rather than help lose any.

You can't spot-reduce fat. You can tone the area, but I think somebody else would be better to give advice than myself.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

30th Aug 2008 at 2:19 pm

Dissimulation -

Stepped up the intensity of the running today and it was a f*cking struggle. Don't think I was hydrated enough, but that's no excuse. Don't ever smoke.

Saw a Kestrel hovering above the sewerage plant. Not exactly sure what it was looking for.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

30th Aug 2008 at 6:14 pm

Dissimulation -

That's not a bad idea.
I think there might be one knocking about at my parents' house that I'll have to try and dig out. I found today, stepping up the intensity, my breath felt quite short, like my lungs weren't expanding to their full potential.

6 days cold turkey on the smoking now, which is annoying considering they reckon it takes 9 months to a year for your lung capacity to fully recover.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

1st Sept 2008 at 7:26 pm

learrggh -

I've kept up with my cycling, although my ankle is still a bit fooked.
The local pool is shut cos the roof fell in (again lol.)

I need to start stretching. I *hate* stretching, but I loose flexibility fast and I know I'll want to be limber when I start up dance again.

Cut down a lot on me drinking too, and started the sleep regime, which is really difficult at the moment and I don't know if it'll be sorted in time for college.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

1st Sept 2008 at 10:20 pm

Chris Kamara -

I've been at the gym today (and will be every day this week + weekend) but my main focus is eating plenty of calories, although not too much saturated fat. I tend to eat quite a lot anyway, but these extra calories the last few days are starting to make me a bit sluggish.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

1st Sept 2008 at 10:34 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

I've been at the gym today (and will be every day this week + weekend) but my main focus is eating plenty of calories, although not too much saturated fat. I tend to eat quite a lot anyway, but these extra calories the last few days are starting to make me a bit sluggish.

I've started to alternate my days now. Monday, Wednesday and Friday are weights. Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday are cardio. Sunday is a day off or a game of cricket. I still do some resistance before every cardio session though.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

1st Sept 2008 at 10:56 pm

Chris Kamara -

Sounds like a good system to me, Dan. My cardio consists of football once a fortnight, and walking to the gym. I burn my calories through doing the weights, but some extra cardio wouldn't do me any harm.

I have no problem motivating myself to lift weights; but getting me on the treadmill is a different matter entirely.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

2nd Sept 2008 at 5:45 pm

Chris Kamara -

Slow and steady wins the race, as they say.

As for music, I used to but then I found I spent more time faffing with which song to put on than actually running. I don't use the music for when I'm on the weights, it tends to put me off but I might bring my iPod to the gym tomorrow and see how I get on.

Just got in from the gym and I hit the weights better than I have for a while. Managed to lift a bit more than yesterday too. Plus, a bloke asked me for tips on building his arms, so I took that as a back-handed compliment ;p

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

3rd Sept 2008 at 8:08 pm

Outside-left

Quote: TheUnitedTruth
Are sit-ups the only way to get a toned stomach?

You can do all the sit-ups you want, but they won't do much without the relevant cardio exercise to show the toning. It'll still be hidden under flesh and body fat stores.

Apparently the most effective way to get them is to buy one of those large exercise balls and do them on that with your feet on the ground. Make sure you're tensing them when you're doing the exercise on the ball though.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

3rd Sept 2008 at 8:23 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: Grimble_Gromble
Quote: scarlet
I once had sore stomach muscles after some particularly vigorous hanky-panky

The 1940's called, they want their lingo back.

Quiet you, we've got to buzz-buzz on the down low, ya see?

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

3rd Sept 2008 at 10:27 pm

Outside-left

Quote: TheUnitedTruth
ooooh another question does trampolining actually count as "exercise"

Yes, it can be used to tone up your legs but isn't as effective as 'proper' exercise.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Sept 2008 at 6:25 pm

Chris Kamara -

Nice one. Just got in myself, from t'gym. Cained it on the weights again. I'm moving up around 5kg on every exercise every other day. I reckon in about 1 - 2 weeks I'll be back to where I was, thanks to muscle memory, so long as I keep on top of the diet. I'm not eating enough protein at the moment.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Sept 2008 at 6:36 pm

Chris Kamara -

You should; stick at it as well, you'll be glad you did.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Sept 2008 at 6:37 pm

Chris Kamara -

Also, I see no one has posted any pictures up yet I was expecting 'Before...' and 'After...' in the future. You're all shy!

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

4th Sept 2008 at 6:54 pm

Dissimulation -

I don't own a camera

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Sept 2008 at 7:02 pm

Chris Kamara -

Haha, good answer.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

5th Sept 2008 at 12:06 am

Outside-left

The Dan doesn't own a camera.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

5th Sept 2008 at 4:04 pm

Outside-left

Quote: Wierd_Welshgirl
urgh, I'm joining this thread.

I just weighed myself and after a summer of office work, and eating meals that can only be described as sugary lard with added carbs I'm now 10st2 I'm still 5ft8, so my bmi is 21.5.

That in itself doesn't sound too bad, but I could apparently lose a stone and a half and still be ideal weight for my height :-[

As of yet, I have no real thoughts on diet and exercise, but I assume if I stopped eating 3 packs of cheese a week, a similar number of tubs of ice cream, and actually drank a bit less I'd be well on the way.
I'm not hugely sure if I'm willing to do that though, so I may attempt that whole exercise thing!

Yeah but at Leeds, pretty much every guy you walked past wanted to give his left nut up for you. Looking great doesn't even cover it.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

5th Sept 2008 at 5:20 pm

Chris Kamara -

Hammered the gym again today. Hit the weights hard. Best thing of all is that I felt I could have done more, but unfortunately I had to go to Sainsbury's so I only did an hour. I reckon I could have done another 30 minutes easy.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: