2005 election

Posted In: Archive. Reading This Thread:

Killallchavs

| 503 posts

4th May 2005 at 10:24 am

Killallchavs -

heh, great stuff.

Quote: Choodessny_Gromky_Koshka_
Damn it, I've failed you all! Michael Howard came to my town this morning and I didn't go out and 'greet' him
I had a chance to egg Kilroy a few weeks back too and didn't...

But it's ok, I saw it on the news and Tamworth people were doing a good job of asking Howard arkward questions and generally heckling.

i know! i missed the chance to egg kilroy a few weeks ago, shame. mind you, mate told him he sucked a*se, which was marginally funny.
The ziner once known as The Fifth Bulldog

JM

| 8,289 posts

4th May 2005 at 12:03 pm

Well, i finally witnessed Tony make a speech last night in Huddersfield along with Blunkett and that guy out of the Bee Gees. I could have spat on him almost, but err i didn't.

The media training he's had is unbelieveable to make him appealing on camera. The hand gestures, hand in the pocket, sleeves rolled up etc.

1 day to go. Who will we wake up with on Friday?

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th May 2005 at 12:04 pm

Chris Kamara -

i ask myself that question every thursday night when i go out and get w*nkered.

JM

| 8,289 posts

4th May 2005 at 12:09 pm

You should be very scared if you ask that and THEN wake up with Michael Howard lying next to you.

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

4th May 2005 at 5:33 pm

Is the avatar upload thing broken?

Right. Here's my Election Rant that I'm plastering everywhere on the internet...

So May 5th is nearly upon us. Election day. The nation decides. But are the choices really even worth deciding about? The whole thing seems like a waste of time, all the polling stations, all the campaigning.. Whatever happens, we're going to have a terrible government.

I'm going to take a few moments to talk about some of the parties this country has to offer. Starting with Labour. The Labour party, Tony Blair. Do people really want another four years of Blair being in power? He's already had eight, and what's he done with them? Kept things in the state that Thatcher and Major left the country in. And gone to war illegally. Why should we keep Blair in? So we can become another state of America? So we can go invading Iran for no good reason? It's not worth voting Labour, innocent people will lose their lives for no good reason at all, because we will end up going to war with Iran, and if it goes further than that, North Korea. And they won't be afraid to use their WMDs.

Next up, the Conservatives. Well, last time the Tories were in power, they really messed things up for Britain. Michael Howard is likely to continue where they left off. He looks like a vampire anyway, and one of his policies is to cull badgers. There's no good reason for it, he just doesn't like them, claims they cause problems for farmers. Someone from the Agricultural Society has already said that badgers shouldn't be scapegoats for all the farming problems, it simply isn't their fault. And Michael Howard wants to kill them. One vote for Tory will result in one badger dying. Anyone with any kind of care for nature and the environment just should not vote Tory, simply put.

So that brings us on to the Liberal Democrats. The real alternative. The problem here is that the Lib Dem supporters are mostly going to be voting Labour to keep the Tories out. If Lib Dem supporters actually voted Lib Dem, they might stand a chance of getting in. Of the main three parties, I would say Lib Dem are the best choice, but will Charles Kennedy make that good a leader of the country? I couldn't say. I think it's worth giving him a chance, though. Anything is better than Tory, or another four years of Blair.

The smaller parties are all classed as throwaway votes. Well, UKIP and BNP are both bigoted (and so are Tory to an extent), I personally don't want racists and/or fascists running the country. The Green Party seem to care about the environment slightly too much, I don't think the economy would be able to survive were the Greens in power. Of all the other parties - in fact, of all the parties in the election - Monster Raving Loony's policies make the most sense. If you have a Monster Raving Loony Party candidate in your area, vote for them, if not vote Lib Dem. But Monster Raving Loony have the best ideas, and it really is a shame there's not enough of them to get the majority of seats.

Remember, though, just because you may have supported Tory or Labour all your life, that doesn't mean you can't change now. In fact, if you support Labour or Tory (or UKIP or BNP (what are you thinking)) then you should change now. Monster Raving Loonies all the way.

But what do I care, I'm only 17. I don't get a say. I'm still forced to pay taxes, but can I decide who spends them? But that's a whole different rant..

So when you're voting tomorrow, just consider the options carefully. Please don't kill innocent people - or badgers, please don't let racists run the country... Please just be careful.

That'll do.

JM

| 8,289 posts

4th May 2005 at 8:23 pm

Yes Blair has done nothing in 8 years.

2 million more people are employed, we have a national minimum wage, 30,000 extra doctors, nearly 80,000 extra nurses, more police, more teachers, pupil funding has doubled, lowest morgate and interest rates.

I don't want to sound like a Blair robot, but these are all facts.

Labour cannot be judged on the war alone.

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

4th May 2005 at 11:03 pm

Captain Spiky - Cockwomble

Cockwomble

Quote: Plug_In_Baby_
This has been a party political broadcast on behalf of the Landa Party.

Finally! A party that I actually want to vote for!

Sign me up.
Now that we're here we may as well go too far.

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

4th May 2005 at 11:18 pm

you know, according to the poll going so far...we have on our hands a liberal win! whoohoo! did someone say that already? I apolygise in advance for not keeping up with the thread.

anyway. Happy Voting Day tomorrow, tis my first, and I'm excited, even though I realise I won't make that much of an impact. However, if you do have the right to vote, get out there and make sure you use it.

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

4th May 2005 at 11:23 pm

Yes. It's now I realise it's today. As in May 5th......so, happy voting day now. make use of your vote.

what does everyone have against vampires??? that aside, I'm still not voting for him.

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th May 2005 at 12:16 am

I'm quite excited about it all now. No doubt i'll be staying up tomorrow night watching the results come in

Remember polling 7am-10pm

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

5th May 2005 at 12:28 am

yeah!!!!!!!!!! i'll be making my way to the village pavillion tomorrow, in my 'hah-get-my-bad-self-i-can-vote-this-time-suckers!' outfit. It's not that special, just consists of the usual t shirt, baggies and hoodie combo. YAY!!!!!!

remember...if you DON'T want the liberal democrats to win, then TICK all the other boxes and put a giant CROSS on their box. Ok? Everybody clear? Goodo.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

5th May 2005 at 8:24 am

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: Satans_Little_Helper_
remember...if you DON'T want the liberal democrats to win, then TICK all the other boxes and put a giant CROSS on their box. Ok? Everybody clear? Goodo.

Of course. That would spoil the ballot paper, thus not giving anyone a vote.

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

5th May 2005 at 12:49 pm

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Voter apathy sucks. Who am I voting for? I'm not saying. But I am voting. I've travelled 90 miles to do so. If you're eligable to vote, but aren't going to, then why the f*ck not?

I've made the efrfort, and so should everyone else.
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

5th May 2005 at 1:29 pm

Captain Spiky - Cockwomble

Cockwomble

I would vote, but unfortunately I'm criminally insane and therefore not eligible.
Now that we're here we may as well go too far.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

5th May 2005 at 1:44 pm

I have indeed voted, and I voted for the Liberal Democrats as promised.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Topper

| 6,773 posts

5th May 2005 at 2:40 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

I voted too, and there was literally no other voters there...I went in the middle of the day mind, but still...
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

5th May 2005 at 4:20 pm

One last note - I wouldn't vote for the Tories anyway, but something happened recently that made me absolutely disgusted by the Tories in our area.

Firstly, an SNP leaflet came through the door, suggesting that if the council election vote shares of 2003 in the council wards that make up the constituency I'm in, Paisley & Renfrewshire North, were translated into the vote shares for this election, the SNP would win. As I live what is essentially a Labour fiefdom, I thought, "Aye, well, it's nice saying this but it's not going to happen." As you do.

The next day, out comes another Tory leaflet (I had already received one) saying that the SNP had misrepresented the Tory share of the vote in the various wards, and were lying when they said that it was a two-way race between the SNP and Labour.

"Well, maybe." I thought, not putting it past the SNP. Of course, then I noticed what the Tories claimed to be misrepresented by. According to them, the SNP had misrepresented their vote making it six times lower than what it should actually be. So I thought "Oh, they must have said 1% or 2% when Tory support's probably just over 10%." I checked the SNP leaflet. Tory share according to it was around 11% or 12%, although admittedly it was a little difficult to read exactly. For the SNP to misrepresent the Tory vote by six times, the Tories would have had to have had a vote share in all the wards making up what is now Paisley and Renfrewshire North of around 70%. To which, of course, I said "Aye, I'm f*cked if that's right." But, being a kind and generous soul (stop laughing), I was prepared to check this totally. First: council seats in Renfrewshire Council, of which Paisley & Renfrewshire North makes up half. Number of Conservatives: 1. You'd have thought if they'd got 70% in half of the area, they'd get a few more, wouldn't you? To be totally fair, I took all the ward results in the wards that make up Paisley & Renfrewshire North, and calculated the vote share. (Yes, I did have lots of time on my hands) The SNP, give or take a percentage point or two, were dead on in their original leaflet. The Tories were lying completely and totally. This infuriated me.

Not because it was a lie, you understand. We see enough of them in politics. But because it was so blatant. There is no statistic on this earth that could have been twisted to give the Tories that vote share here, and so it is quite obvious the Tories show a contempt for the intelligence for the ordinary voter here that is completely and totally reprehensible. It shows an idea that as long as you write somethign down, the gullible fools won't bother to check, although it took me about only a quarter of an hour to completely refute their scurrilous claims. It made me totally sick to my stomach, and it still does.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

5th May 2005 at 4:26 pm

G, I'm assuming you're in Aberdeen North, since Aberdeen South does have a Green Party candidate, although why you want to vote for the "we care more about trees than people" crew I don't know. Aberdeen North has a notional (because of boundary changes) Labour majority of about 23%, making it rather safe for Labour. The SNP are way behind in second, and the Lib Dems even further in third.

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

5th May 2005 at 5:20 pm

Ah, I've just realised I should have put "Not old enough to vote."
Oh well.
I voted for the Green Party at our mock elections in school.
"Sometimes people don't build walls to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to tear them down."
Thom is happy

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th May 2005 at 5:20 pm

Less than 4 hours to go. All this campaigning better pay off

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

5th May 2005 at 10:04 pm

There is a definate case for breathalysing voters, my housemate was still drunk from last night and voted for Veritas, because the candidate had a cool name, 'Roseblade'. Goddammit.

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th May 2005 at 10:29 pm

woah my school is on tv

JM

| 8,289 posts

6th May 2005 at 10:50 am

A third Labour victory - not really in doubt i suppose, but it doesn't look like Blair will be able to ram through shoddy legislation with such a majority.

What about Howard? Surely, he should go now?

Did Alan Duncan lose his seat for the Tories too?

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

6th May 2005 at 11:17 am

Is the avatar upload thing broken?

Four more years of B-Liar. Whoop di doo.

Killallchavs

| 503 posts

6th May 2005 at 11:42 am

Killallchavs -

hopefully it'll only be a matter of time until brown takes over from blair
The ziner once known as The Fifth Bulldog

Ligand

| 191 posts

6th May 2005 at 12:26 pm

Damn bats

I guess its time to break out the sniper rifle
"I happen to feel that the degree of a person's intelligence is directly reflected by the number of conflicting attitudes they can bring to bear on the same topic."
- Lisa Alther

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

6th May 2005 at 1:19 pm

Quote: Hurri_
Four more years of B-Liar. Whoop di doo.

Nah, two at the most...

We have the dubious honour in Leicester South of being the only seat that Labour gained.

Favourite moment? Kilroy being humiliated.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

6th May 2005 at 1:20 pm

My favourite's still the 49% swing, although Kilroy come a close second.

Still can't believe Galloway got elected.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

6th May 2005 at 2:36 pm

I loathe both of them - Oona King because she's a Blairite drone, and Galloway because of his general f*ckwittery. The Paxman interview was stupid though. Galloway came forth as an arrogant a*se, and Paxman didn't come off much better, suggesting basically that he should feel shamed for beating King because she was black and a woman, and not because she was a decent MP.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

6th May 2005 at 4:00 pm

Well, we all know the legendary unfairness of First Past the Post, especially way after the Boundary Commission has drawn the boundaries making demographic shifts important.

If the number of seats was proportional to share of vote - which would mean you'd just need 0.16% to get a seat - the results would probably look something like this, taking into account the NI seats haven't declared:

Labour: 226
Conservatives: 207
Liberal Democrats: 142
SNP: 9
Plaid Cymru: 4
Respect: 1
UKIP: 14
Greens: 6
BNP: 4
SSP: 1

I haven't done it properly because that would take lots more time, and the NI results are in, so there's about 14 seats missing as well as the NI ones. But this is more or less accurate.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

7th May 2005 at 10:30 pm

Alright, doing it absolutely properly this time, with 645 seats declared, a proportional parliament would have the following seats attributed to each party:

Labour: 228
Conservative: 209
Liberal Democrat: 143
DUP: 6
SNP: 10
Sinn Fein: 5
Plaid Cymru: 5
SDLP: 4
UUP: 4
Respect: 2
UKIP: 15
Green: 7
BNP: 5
SSP: 2

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

8th May 2005 at 12:32 am

ah, but with proportional voting, while it is more fair, it means more losers like the BNP can get seats.

However, it would be fairer. WE NEED A NEW VOTING SYSTEM, AND WE NEED IT NOW. That way, in four years, we can have a fair and democratic election.

komondor

| 106 posts

8th May 2005 at 12:37 am

Woof!

Down here in Ireland we have the great honour of voting for politicans I can't name and can barely distinguish between. That's what happens when your party system is based on a war that happened eighty years ago, and not on any real ideological divide.

So, you want to start listening to (extreme)METAL?

1. Reign in Blood - Slayer
2. In the Nightside Eclipse - Emperor
3. De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas - Mayhem
4. Necroticism, Descanting the Insalubrious - Carcass
5. In Their Darkened Shrines - Nile

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

8th May 2005 at 12:54 am

I think it's terrible that after over 400 years that England decided they would start messing Ireland around that a compromise has still not been reached. I can't say much with any authority because I only know parts of Irish history that I've studied as part of the AS and A2 level British History course, but it all seems to stem from that. If I just said something really stupid, please don't berate me for it.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

8th May 2005 at 5:28 pm

You realise how hypocritical that sounds when you have a link in your signature saying "SSP. Go vote"?

That aside, I have to say that "stopping everyone from voting" sounds to me like you're focussing on the wrong thing. Voting is not the cause of our democratic troubles, but the system it is used to prop up - by which I mean more than the voting system, but the entire system of patronage and priveledge that is endemic in the Westminster system. The day we can stop people from voting, the day people lose all faith in the democratic process. The day all people lose faith in the principles of democracy, the day we lose all hope of a progressive government whatsoever. Why, indeed, if the democratic process wanes in the way you say, should the elites not step in and say "obviously, the masses do not want to have a say in the government, so we should take over ourselves?" Why, indeed, is it not playing straight into the hands of an unrepresentative dictatorship? To me, it looks like nothing more than a step backwards from the people who fought to get the vote - the Chartists, the suffragettes and the suffragists, all of the people who were thought to be too poor, too ignorant, or too female to matter in the governing of the country.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: