Currently reading?

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

SEE OTHER ACCOUNT

| 1,786 posts

15th Jul 2005 at 4:49 pm

ooo, have you read Haunted by the same author. (chuck palahniuk )Really enjoyed that one.

I'm currently reading If Chins Could Kill- By Bruce Campbell.
It's his autobiography.

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

15th Jul 2005 at 8:48 pm

Dracula - I'm determined to get through the classics

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

17th Jul 2005 at 11:55 am

I finished Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince about 7 minutes ago. I loved it. I don't really want to discuss the book in case I spoil it for people so I'm going to stop typing now.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

17th Jul 2005 at 12:48 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

I finished it around the same time. Definitely worth having to wait all of work for (having to sell the things to other people, unable to start it myself dammit ). It's so very different to the other books, mind, especially towards the end. But I shall write no more here.
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

17th Jul 2005 at 4:56 pm

I got Christian Dior's biography the other day. I got it out the library before purely for the pictures, but this time I'm determined to actually read it.
And Rosemary's Baby, because I saw the film, but missed the ending.
"Sometimes people don't build walls to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to tear them down."
Thom is happy

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

19th Jul 2005 at 10:21 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

I'm currently reading 2 books:
Noughts And Crosses by Malorie Blackman.
Paddington Helps Out by Michael Bond.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

bob fletcher

| 1,339 posts

19th Jul 2005 at 11:04 am

bob fletcher - woop woop

woop woop

i tried reading noughts and crosses, and i like the way it is written (i.e. the wya the chapterts split it up) but i prefered how burgess did it in 'junk', and i jsut couldn't get into blackman's writing.
you are love to me, an epiphany,
you set me free and let me be
and one day i'll be love back for you
and you can know what it feels like too.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

20th Jul 2005 at 4:58 pm

Get your Antlers on

I just finished the third in the Noughts & Crosses trilogy- Checkmate. The two sequels aren't nearly as good as the original, as they aren't nearly as provocative and focus a lot more on the characters whereas in N&C the beauty is that it makes you think about prejudices and racism even in today's society. Still, if you've read the first one and want to know what happens afterwards they're definitely worth reading. Oh, and Checkmate is a million times better than Knife Edge, which is a bit of a letdown, really.
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

20th Jul 2005 at 5:18 pm

I have to get hold of Checkmate. Knife Edge was a huge disappointment but I'm still curious.

I'm currently reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

20th Jul 2005 at 6:06 pm

just finished the new harry potter. ending nearly made me cry. but it didn't, so i'm not a total loser.

noughts and crosses has sequels????? ooh, must achete!

blackenedrose

| 156 posts

21st Jul 2005 at 8:49 pm

blackenedrose - My lips are glossed but my heart is weak . . .

My lips are glossed but my heart is weak . . .

Just finished reading 'The heart is deceitful above all things' by JT Leroy. It was fantastic, whilst explaining it to a friend they suggested it was trying to be like the child called it series. But it isn't and reading it I wouldn't of thought of it unless she did. I still think they are completely different. It is beautifully written. I am not seeking it out his first novel Sarah. :-*
Pucker up and kiss the glitter, for the blood in your mouth must taste so bitter.

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

28th Jul 2005 at 11:18 am

Captain Spiky - Cockwomble

Cockwomble

Quote: Gmo_
I flicked through this at the shop, and didn't think I'd enjoy it too much as it's an "I book". Most books are "he/she books" and the odd one is a "you book". But this is an "I book" (yes, I know, first person perspective, I do know the terms)

I've always felt that the first person perspective is far better than the third person, actually. It allows you to get inside the head of the character and get more involved in the story, and the writer has more scope to play around with interesting ideas... If you read One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, for example, you never know what is real and what isn't because the narrator is clinically insane and sometimes hallucinates. And you should try reading The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie for the ultimate in unreliable narrators - it's a superb book.
Now that we're here we may as well go too far.

wormherder

| 141 posts

5th Aug 2005 at 7:45 pm

I've almost finished reading Fellowship of the Ring for the third time. Has anyone read Cloud Atlas?
"Why stop now, just when I'm hating it?"

Yes, me too

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

8th Aug 2005 at 12:26 pm

Just finished Checkmate by Malorie Blackman. I think the ending was just as hopeful and sad as the ending in N&C which made me like this book a lot. It was the most perfect ending this trilogy could have. Amy is right in saying that its focused on the characters more, as I found myself caring about their fate instead of thinking about the topic. I liked it a lot. If not only for the part where Sephy remembers Callum 'inside' her at the end which for all my immaturity still made me feel heartbroken and upset.

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

10th Aug 2005 at 12:28 pm

Everyone should read 'How I paid for College-A Tale of Sex, Theft, Friendship and Musical Theatre.' By Marc Acito.
Its genius. Its made me laugh out loud in public places when I'm alone, its that funny. I adore this book sooo much.Comic genius.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

18th Aug 2005 at 9:04 am

River Phoenix

I started reading Knife Edge a couple of weeks ago. I've finished reading it, and now I'm reading Little Women.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

18th Aug 2005 at 1:25 pm

Get your Antlers on

I read the strangest book on holiday- 'We need to talk about Kevin' by Lionel Schriver. It's from the point of view of the mother of a 'Columbine Kid' writing to the father. She goes back over Kevin (the son's) life, trying to pinpoint why he did it- was it her fault, was she a bad mother, or was Kevin just born evil. It's slightly warped, but then from stuff Schriver's written in the Guardian, she's a bit warped herself. But it's extremely well written- completely absorbing and page turning. Despite the unrealism, it's intriguing and raises a fair few issues. Definitely worth a read

wormherder

| 141 posts

18th Aug 2005 at 3:04 pm

Quote: Smashed_Strawberry_
I started reading Knife Edge a couple of weeks ago. I've finished reading it, and now I'm reading Little Women.

What's Little Women like? I've wondered about reading it for a while
"Why stop now, just when I'm hating it?"

Yes, me too

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

19th Aug 2005 at 8:25 am

River Phoenix

I've only read the first two chapters. (I've read it before, but that was YEARS ago.) Quite good, but a bit schmaltzy.

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

29th Aug 2005 at 8:07 pm

FINALLY got round to reading The Da Vinci Code - not sure about it yet.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

30th Aug 2005 at 9:44 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

A biography of Karl Marx by the brilliant Francis Wheen.
No Logo by Naomi Klein.
Love All The People - which is a collection of Bill Hicks stuff and is 45 metric f*cktons of awesome.

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

2nd Sept 2005 at 3:31 pm

Quote: BaBuShKa666_
FINALLY got round to reading The Da Vinci Code - not sure about it yet.

Aaahhh!!
This book is driving me insane!
At 1.30 this morning, it got me trying to find out all the words you can make out of "planets", as the book stated there were 92 (incidentally I found 94)
Then afer this, I had to go on the internet to find a picture of the Mona Lisa to try and see all this symbolism thats supposed to be in it!
I know I'm sad but ...

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

2nd Sept 2005 at 8:45 pm

Get your Antlers on

Apparently they're re-writing this so all the 'slagging-off' christianity is taken out. Well, all the stuff about the bible being a load of crap anyway so presumably the section about the Roman emperor and how the bible was supposedly written.

I find it ridiculous how many people took the book at face value; the Vatican had to appoint a spokesperson to state that it was FICTION!

Btw, that rant wasn't aimed at you, Babushka (sorry, I don't know your real name :/) if it seems like it, which it very well could :S; I was also very tempted to google image the Mona Lisa when I read it- if I had been near a computer I'm sure I would have done! In fact, I'm really tempted to do so now...

*Ahem*

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

2nd Sept 2005 at 10:08 pm

No, I wasn't thinking that at all!
And I totally agree with you - it's just somebody's opinion, but these days you're not allowed to have opinions apparently!
My names Gillian

bob fletcher

| 1,339 posts

5th Sept 2005 at 12:01 pm

bob fletcher - woop woop

woop woop

the symbols are there, i was by the real thing when i was reading it. i didn't have to google they are making a film of it i hear. that just sounds like cashing in becausei ts liek the best selling fiction novel of all time or something

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

5th Sept 2005 at 7:30 pm

[quote=phoenix_ link=1117390987/135#146 date=1125921711]the symbols are there, i was by the real thing when i was reading it. i didn't have to google

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

15th Sept 2005 at 1:54 pm

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

Ive halfway through the last book in James herberts the rats trilogy 'Domain' its amazing and really disturbing as the final book is set some years after the first two, The Rats and Lair, a nuclear war has destroyed most of London and the few survivors are trapped underground with the surviving Rats. Its grusesome specially when herbert describes what happens to the city when the bombs fell, i was up reading till 3am this morning.
Another class book by Herbert is '48 which is crying out to be made into a film.
Never take life seriously.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

17th Sept 2005 at 9:41 am

River Phoenix

i'm reading Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. i've nearly finished it.

Edited by Rayanne Graff Aug 2007

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

30th Sept 2005 at 9:02 am

River Phoenix

i started reading Daughter Of Fortune by Isabel Allende a few weeks ago. i finished it yesterday. Now i'm reading High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.

Edited by Rayanne Graff Aug 2007

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

30th Sept 2005 at 11:03 am

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

Im now reading my way through the New Jedi order series of Star wars novels so far theyve been really exciting
Never take life seriously.

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

3rd Oct 2005 at 7:25 pm

I keep starting complicated classics and giving up halfway through. I'm reading Hamlet for school at the moment.

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

9th Oct 2005 at 12:04 pm

Captain Spiky - Cockwomble

Cockwomble

Quote: Smashed_Strawberry_
Now I'm reading High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.

YAY!!!

Do you think (if I keep asking) Nick Hornby will eventually agree to marry me?
Now that we're here we may as well go too far.

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

9th Oct 2005 at 12:42 pm

It could happen.

bob fletcher

| 1,339 posts

9th Oct 2005 at 6:41 pm

bob fletcher - woop woop

woop woop

i've always loved reading scripts i read the Closer script by patrick marber, i really loved the film and my parents enjoyed both screenplay and the theatre version, i ersonally prefer the script of the theatre version but love the film

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

13th Oct 2005 at 3:28 pm

I'm currently reading a pile of children's classics which I have had since I was about 4. The Railway Children has to be the best. My favourite quotes:

"We are going to live in a ducky-dear little house"

"Come here my chickabiddys"

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

14th Oct 2005 at 11:40 am

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

At the moment, I am reading "So long and thanks for all the fish" by Douglas Adams. It is really funny and smart and sweet.

Also, I read "Pharos" by Alice Thompson - it is pretty cool. It is a ghost story about 4 people in a lighthouse, but it is really confusing about which character is the ghost until the end.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: