Currently reading?

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

10th Jun 2005 at 2:47 pm

Just finished High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.Hilarious!
Not sure what to read now...

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

10th Jun 2005 at 5:00 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

I wanted to see what all the fuss was about so I've started The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. So far it's OK- fairly easy to read and absorbing- but I can't see why it's so popular/ hyped up at the moment.

I'm not particularly far into it, though, so perhaps this will change in time.
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

10th Jun 2005 at 5:26 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: Amused_To_Death_
I'm reading Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' . He has the ability to educate, and inform his audience, without making the subject matter tedious, and uninspiring. Really reccommend it so far!

Yeah, that book is absolutely wonderful!

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

11th Jun 2005 at 9:46 am

Captain Spiky - Cockwomble

Cockwomble

Quote: BaBuShKa666_
Just finished High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.Hilarious!
Not sure what to read now...

Nick Hornby is my favourite author ever... He has the ability to write simple, accessible prose which actually has a lot of depth to it, and he's both incredibly perceptive and incredibly funny. I honestly can't praise him enough - everything he has ever written is superb, and I would have his babies if I could.
Now that we're here we may as well go too far.

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

12th Jun 2005 at 7:39 pm

Ok,slightly worried now but he is a great author, going to read fever pitch next methinks...

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

12th Jun 2005 at 8:39 pm

Cockwomble

[quote=Captain_Spiky_ link=1117390987/0#1 date=1117407797]I'm reading The Time Traveller's Wife, which came out not long ago amid rave reviews.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

12th Jun 2005 at 10:24 pm

Get your Antlers on

I have it on my bookshelf waiting to be read- Gaz, you have persuaded me to read this next. (Although I hate feeling like this about a book when I'm reading another one cuz it makes me rush it. But hey, it sounds like it's worth it! Unlike the Da Vinci Code I hasten to add )
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

13th Jun 2005 at 9:56 am

TinyShine -

I'm glad i'm not the only one who didn't get the fuss over the DaVinci Code...I didn't think it was particularly well written.

At the minute i'm reading 'The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy'....It's been fun and light hearted Very inventive and original. And then i'm moving on to 'The Curious Incident of the Dog at Night Time'....Children's books rule and it's great that this one chose to highlight the issue of Aspergers.

Sarah xx

bob fletcher

| 1,339 posts

13th Jun 2005 at 2:41 pm

bob fletcher - woop woop

woop woop

i was going to say as far as i'm aware curious incident isn't a childrensbook. it was written for adults from the point of view of the child. my mum was reading it her friend lent it to her her son has aspergers, and my mum works with a lot of children with aspergers, so she found it interesting, and she was telling me about it as she went through it, its sounds good. erm, i've actually gone back to reading interview with a vampire, i put it down really close to the end just because i became fed up by annes slow writting style, and it seemed as soon as she had established this world and the characters stories and goals that she kind of gave up trying, but i''m starting to get back into it, although the writting at the end doens't seem as good as the writting at the start, i'm reding this one so i can move onto the next of the chronicles i dont' want to be missing bits of story.
you are love to me, an epiphany,
you set me free and let me be
and one day i'll be love back for you
and you can know what it feels like too.

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

14th Jun 2005 at 10:41 am

Cockwomble

Just to clear up the thing about The Curious Incident (if anybody's interested), it's one of those books that can be enjoyed by adults or mature children (teens). It most definitely isn't meant for young children - despite the simple style it's not a 'simple' book, and there's plenty of swearing and stuff in it.

For some reason the publishers decided to print what they called an 'adult edition' and a 'children's edition', but the only difference between the 2 is the cover design - inside they're indentical. So that was a complete waste of time.

I'm now worried that people are gonna read The Time Traveller's Wife and think it's rubbish, and I'm gonna end up looking like a goon. And notice I spell traveller with double l, not traveler as it appears in the book. Bloody Americans.

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

18th Jun 2005 at 3:06 pm

I'm about to read great expectations. Wish me luck!

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

19th Jun 2005 at 8:22 pm

Get your Antlers on

Quote: Purple_Man_

They do that with the Harry Potter books too, and also His Dark Materials. It's harder to notice that you're a big guy reading a kiddie's book that way

Plus it means they can put a prompt on the till saying 'Warning: bad language in this book' in a big, red box. Fun.

It's supposed to be amazingly correct though. Mum works with autistic kids and I think she met Mark Haddon through this, who doesn't have any family ties to anyone with aspergers, except for a friend's child, or something that's not too close. She was saying that it's unebelievably realistic and highly impressive for someone without a close family member with aspergers.

I started reading it, then the book was stolen from me as Mum was lending it round her entire work So I haven't had a chance to read it again yet Muhosity.

Gaz- I started The Time Traveller's Wife yesterday and so far it seems a damn good recommendation (through all... 50 or so pages I've read so far )

Edited by Elusive Moose Jun 2005

fill

| 40 posts

20th Jun 2005 at 7:25 pm

hei kylling!!!

[quote=Evil_the_Cat_ link=1117390987/60#61 date=1118608749]

I've just finished this book...
the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convinving the world he didnt exist

mortal_wombat

| 699 posts

24th Jun 2005 at 12:30 am

Mortal Wombat- A special kind of strange

Quote: Purple_Man_
Re-reading Neil Gaiman's The Sandman epic. And spotting many more references and fore-shadowing this time round (obviously, as I know what's going to happen).

Neil Gaiman is lord.

--
I tend to have abut three things on my bed side table at any one time; something classical (right now its a Chekhov Collection), Something uber trashy (Often Laurell K Hamilton. The greatest author of the vampire trash and fairy erotica) and something between the two (at the moment Whit by Iain Banks)

I drift between these books, and often re-read something else entirely instead.
"is not talking to the mortal wombat"
Living Over here

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

24th Jun 2005 at 10:40 am

Cockwomble

Wow, people are actually agreeing with me... This doesn't happen very often so I'm going to savour the moment!

*savours*

Quote: mortal_wombat_
The greatest author of the vampire trash and fairy erotica

Is this a highly contested mantle? I have to admit that 'fairy erotica' is not a genre I'm overly familiar with.

Oh Tinkerbell, what a big wand you have... *DROOL*

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

24th Jun 2005 at 8:35 pm

Quote:
(at the moment Whit by Iain Banks)

Ah, yeah, I enjoyed that book a lot.

mortal_wombat

| 699 posts

25th Jun 2005 at 12:36 am

Iain Banks is awesome. 'Dead Air' and 'Espedair Street' by him remains just about my favourite novels of all time ('Catch-22', 'Dangerous Parking' and 'The Man Who Was Thursday' are some other contender by other authors).

And I defend my right to read incredibly trashy vampire and fairy stories. They're far more interesting than they should be.
Living Over here

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

25th Jun 2005 at 8:45 pm

Quote:
'Catch-22'

YES YES OH GOD YES.

That is my favourite novel, ever.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

25th Jun 2005 at 8:52 pm

Get your Antlers on

Quote: Freshly_Squeezed_Cynic_

YES YES OH GOD YES.

God, these books are performing all sorts of services these days...

mortal_wombat

| 699 posts

26th Jun 2005 at 11:27 am

You heard about Mirrormask? http://www.mirrormask.com the film he's made with Dave McKean.
I have the script/story board book and it looks incredibly cool (as if there was any doubt).
Living Over here

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

26th Jun 2005 at 8:58 pm

Cockwomble

Quote: Freshly_Squeezed_Cynic_
That is my favourite novel, ever.

I've read Catch 22 twice, and much as I think it's an excellent book it annoys me in a way... As I'm reading it I get the urge to take a magic marker and cross out paragraph after paragraph.
If it was severely edited and about two thirds of the length it is now (and if it ended with the amazingly powerful description of Snowden's death and ditched the unnecessary final chapter) then it would be awesome. As it is it's brilliant but flawed.

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

27th Jun 2005 at 11:13 am

I just read Matilda again because I felt like feeling safe. Now, I am going to read Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen because I feel like feeling safe. I did start reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte but I didnt want to take it on just yet. I want 'safe' novels at the moment.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

28th Jun 2005 at 8:46 pm

Get your Antlers on

I just finished the Time Traveler's Wife (despite it being unputdownable, I had to stick to reading it in free periods so it took me ages). Gaz- thank you for the recommendation, it truly was amazing. I had to hide my face many a time, my eyes were prickling with tears on so many occasions. I truly adored it- the characters, the prose, the story, the ideas... Everything. I couldn't name many books on a par with that one. Loved it!

Now I need to decide what to follow it up with. Either Wuthering Heights (can I be bothered, really?), Atonement or I Capture The Castle... Any suggestions?

Edited by Elusive Moose Jun 2005

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

29th Jun 2005 at 10:23 am

Cockwomble

[quote=Elusive_Moose_ link=1117390987/75#84 date=1119991613]I just finished the Time Traveler's Wife (despite it being unputdownable, I had to stick to reading it in free periods so it took me ages). Gaz- thank you for the recommendation, it

SEE OTHER ACCOUNT

| 1,786 posts

29th Jun 2005 at 12:12 pm

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep-Philip K D*ck

Rose

| 3,316 posts

3rd Jul 2005 at 10:55 am

A very attractive man. Not me. Him.

i've just finished william goldman's abridgement of "the princess bride"

absolutely hilarious and only
Anton Chekhov - Smash Hits

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

3rd Jul 2005 at 7:58 pm

I'm reading Jane Eyre at the moment *coughs*.
It's one of those books you think "I really should have read that by now" but never quite get round to...

SEE OTHER ACCOUNT

| 1,786 posts

4th Jul 2005 at 11:08 am

'Salem's Lot- Stephen King

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

4th Jul 2005 at 5:59 pm

Get your Antlers on

Enduring Love- Ian McEwan. Slightly hard to get in to, but it's very interesting when you do, and wonderfully written.

bob fletcher

| 1,339 posts

4th Jul 2005 at 11:20 pm

bob fletcher - woop woop

woop woop

yeah clare read enduring love i think for her english course but really enjoyed the book. and from what she described and the bits that weren't too distorted or too far removed from the book in the film i think it mustb e good and i shall have to get round to reading it...much like the war of the worlds, as i've been obsessed by hte musical...forever, and now with the release of war of the worlds on film although jeff wayne said it wasn't close enough to the story to weren't the 'The' at the start its spurned me to buy a copy of the book and read it.
you are love to me, an epiphany,
you set me free and let me be
and one day i'll be love back for you
and you can know what it feels like too.

blackenedrose

| 156 posts

5th Jul 2005 at 7:35 pm

blackenedrose - My lips are glossed but my heart is weak . . .

My lips are glossed but my heart is weak . . .

The book's pretty good. I liked the film better which is unusual for me. The book seems better after seeing the film but I think I've confused myself now. :-*
Pucker up and kiss the glitter, for the blood in your mouth must taste so bitter.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

7th Jul 2005 at 3:13 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

I'm currently re-reading 'Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency' by Douglas Adams; a book so funny and brilliant and then funny again that you may need to put some sort of mouth cover on your face to stop you laughing out your heart. Just great stuff.
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

8th Jul 2005 at 4:12 pm

I'm currently reading The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter, who was reccomended by Laura a while ago I've only read a few pages so far, but it sounds like it's going to be interesting!
Also Great Expectations & Bridget Jones Diary, because I'm ashamed I haven't read them yet.
"Sometimes people don't build walls to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to tear them down."
Thom is happy

JM

| 8,289 posts

11th Jul 2005 at 1:51 pm

Bill Bryson - Neither here Nor there.

There aren't many books i've read that are laugh out loud funny, but this is certainly one of them. Read it alone otherwise you'll get some funny looks. The description of the places he's visited and the humour really is first class.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

11th Jul 2005 at 2:19 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

At the moment, I am reading "The Moth Diaries" by Rachel Klein. It is about a girl called Lucy. - She is really worried her freind is a vampire. It is really good, i think. Also, it has lots of ideas about art and poetry and philosophy, too.

Also, recently I read "Naive. Super" by Erlend Loe - it is the most amazing book - please read it if you find it ever.

Edited by Little Blue Fox. Aug 2005
It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

13th Jul 2005 at 10:25 am

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

The second Dirk Gently novel: 'The Long Dark Tea Time Of The Soul', which has Gods in. It's extremely funny, although I do slightly prefer 'Dirk Gently's Holistic...'
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

13th Jul 2005 at 12:04 pm

Cockwomble

I'm now reading Norwegian Wood by Mura... Murik.... Dammit, I can never remember his name! *has a crafty peek at Amazon* Haruki Murakami. Yes.

Apparently it's hugely popular in Japan, and is highly thought of elsewhere too... I really didn't know what to expect (I never trust things that have been translated into English - I always expect them to be rather stilted) but so far I think it's really excellent. It's charming and intriguing and the narrator is incredibly well portrayed. What's more, it's only

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

13th Jul 2005 at 8:33 pm

Get your Antlers on

Re-reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, hopefully in time for Saturday.

Work's getting the new book delivered tomorrow. 2 days to go [/excitable kidness]

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

14th Jul 2005 at 11:10 am

Cockwomble

I'll never understand the obsession with Harry Potter.

We've had the book in stock for a few days now but we're not allowed to send them out yet. And I've had customers ranting at me because they might get their copy a day later than everyone else. Shock horror!

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: