Biological fathers and Myspace

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

19th Feb 2007 at 8:52 pm

Is the avatar upload thing broken?

My mother emailed me to tell me my father, who I've never met, is on Myspace.

This is him.

I'm in a pit of mixed emotions right now. Do I contact him? Do I wait and see if he finds me? What happens if I contact him? Will he want to meet? Will I be able to stand meeting the man who walked out on my pregnant mother? Have I got any half brothers or sisters?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

19th Feb 2007 at 9:03 pm

Chris Kamara -

Bloody hell, as far as tough decisions go, this is certainly up there with the hardest of them! Damn. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Gary

| 3,774 posts

19th Feb 2007 at 11:38 pm

Gary - I is not evil.

I is not evil.

Ouch. I agree with George though - if you don't contact him you'll always wonder about it. That's if you want to yourself, of course.

I'd do it privately though. Don't just leave him a public message saying "Hi, Dad" :p

I hope it goes well for you...
[http://imagegen.last.fm/Apnet/recenttracks/3/se_osiris.gif]

I like an escalator because an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator temporarily out of order" sign, only an "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience."
- Mitch Hedberg

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

20th Feb 2007 at 12:05 am

I sent a message.
It says...

My mother pointed me in the direction of your Myspace.. One Cheryl Pledger, I hear you knew her about 20-odd years ago..

So if what she's telling me is correct you were the other person in the room when I was conceived. How about that, eh?

I really don't know what to say here, I mean, it's not every day you send someone a message telling them you're directly related to them, I'm quite frankly lost for words, but there we are.

So. How're you?

Danny
--

Now. He hasn't logged in for over a week according to his profile so I suppose he's not a regular Myspace visitor.. I wonder what he'll feel reading a message like that. I'm actually shaking, I don't know why, fear, adrenaline, curiosity?
So I suppose all I can do is wait...

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

20th Feb 2007 at 12:28 am

Jewbacca -

Quote: Hurri
I sent a message.
It says...

My mother pointed me in the direction of your Myspace.. One Cheryl Pledger, I hear you knew her about 20-odd years ago..

So if what she's telling me is correct you were the other person in the room when I was conceived. How about that, eh?

I really don't know what to say here, I mean, it's not every day you send someone a message telling them you're directly related to them, I'm quite frankly lost for words, but there we are.

So. How're you?

Danny
--

Now. He hasn't logged in for over a week according to his profile so I suppose he's not a regular Myspace visitor.. I wonder what he'll feel reading a message like that. I'm actually shaking, I don't know why, fear, adrenaline, curiosity?
So I suppose all I can do is wait...

Id have had no idea what to say, that's a damn fine letter. It has the factor, and hopefully he will go now that he is that wee bit older.

Also, one thing I told George in his quasi-similaresque situation was that you can check whether or not the recipient of a MySpace mail has read it yet in the sent folder. And there is no way for him to read it without myspace knowing (unlike VR) so you can't be tricked. You may already know this, of course
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

27th Feb 2007 at 12:50 am

Jewbacca -

Hope it went well

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

27th Feb 2007 at 10:51 am

Meh.. I sent him a message, he's been online but it hasn't changed from 'sent' to 'read' yet.

No big deal, really.

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

23rd Mar 2007 at 1:09 am

Jewbacca -

What was the title? Id hate to think the title gave it away and then he checked your profile thought 'oh sh*t' and never even read your message. If that was the case im sorry. On the bright side you've still got your mum and us

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

23rd Mar 2007 at 4:40 am

The message was called 'Hello.' - hardly a worrying title...

Yeah, he never read it according to Myspace, which deleted it from the sent box after two weeks.

No change to my life, then.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

23rd Mar 2007 at 9:00 am

Chris Kamara -

You could try sending the message again but with a more catching title; something he'd be inclined to read and that he'd not assume was spam?

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page