I Don't Get It...

Posted In: Music. Reading This Thread:

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

1st Oct 2008 at 2:28 am

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Quote: samurai_hedgehog
That first Foos album is great to be fair. X-Static, Alone + Easy Target, Weenie Beenie and obviously Big Me are all tunes. But it's been steadily downhill from there imo.

You're not wrong.  Hard to believe their the same band when you put "Foo Fighters" alongside "I* Y*** H*****".  The worst bit about the "The Colour and the Shape", "There Is Nothing Left To Lose" and "One By One", and i'll sound like an elitist tw*t for saying this, is that all the good songs on them are the ones that nobody has ever heard because the radio, music tv channels and worse, the band, have never bloody played them.

Have you been away on your holidays? It seems like ages since you were last online.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

1st Oct 2008 at 9:19 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Quote: the_doc
Quote: thelostdude
I'm still yet to hear that!

I've never even heard of it :-[

(i wish i'd never heard of it.)
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

1st Oct 2008 at 9:37 am

Mancomb Seepgood - Grog me.

Grog me.

Quote: Smashed_Strawberry
I'm still yet to hear that!

I've never even heard of it  :-[

(i wish i'd never heard of it.)

I crank it regularly.
If I could get an orange that was as low-maintenance as an apple, I'd be a happy man

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

2nd Oct 2008 at 3:31 pm

John Cage Bubblegum -

Quote: Squirrell_of_Doom
Have you been away on your holidays?  It seems like ages since you were last online.

Ha, I wish. No, I was actually having trouble getting on here. Firefox and IE were both saying they couldn't find the server, I was starting to think the whole place had gone for a burton to be honest. Until the other day when it worked again, that is.
Peter Kenyon has a medal

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

2nd Oct 2008 at 3:50 pm

Outside-left

Quote: samurai_hedgehog
Quote: Squirrell_of_Doom
Have you been away on your holidays?  It seems like ages since you were last online.

Ha, I wish. No, I was actually having trouble getting on here. Firefox and IE were both saying they couldn't find the server, I was starting to think the whole place had gone for a burton to be honest. Until the other day when it worked again, that is.

I had that problem a couple of weeks ago too.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

2nd Oct 2008 at 4:49 pm

Outside-left

Quote:

You're not wrong.  Hard to believe their the same band when you put "Foo Fighters" alongside "I* Y*** H*****".  The worst bit about the "The Colour and the Shape", "There Is Nothing Left To Lose" and "One By One", and i'll sound like an elitist tw*t for saying this, is that all the good songs on them are the ones that nobody has ever heard because the radio, music tv channels and worse, the band, have never bloody played them.

You're right on that one, Dan.  Although I didn't think One By One had many redeeming features at all.....

"Come Back". In my Top 3 Foo songs.

And the t-shirts from that tour were very good

Colin

| 10,038 posts

2nd Oct 2008 at 5:14 pm

Colin -

When I (from the Definitely Not Enough Reason basis of two fun singles and a cheap price) had Up Yours, Honour, I considered Disc 2 like one of those tedious bonus discs that you only listen to because you feel like you should. Not a good song in sight.
Disc 1 has a couple of terrible ones at the start and has a lot of filler considering there's ten tracks. I'd say it gets better toward the end, though.

What's this, an analysis of IYH? Surely that's never necessary on VR!

"Grohl said that he hopes that the Foo Fighters are most remembered for this album."

I quote The Cure:
"It's better to forget me
Than to remember me and cry"

Oh, and One By One is unpleasantly noisy and I don't really see how Come Back is any good. A few tracks might be good in their own context, I can't quite figure it out, but it's a chore as an album.
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Colin

| 10,038 posts

2nd Oct 2008 at 5:17 pm

Colin -

also, The Worst Foo Fighters Songs Are The Very Very Very Pop Songs.
I think I am beginning to prefer their debut to my previous favourite, The Colour And The Shape.
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

2nd Oct 2008 at 6:07 pm

Outside-left

also, The Worst Foo Fighters Songs Are The Very Very Very Pop Songs.
I think I am beginning to prefer their debut to my previous favourite, The Colour And The Shape.

Or the songs where you can tell he's really trying to write some 'deep and meaningful' lyrics that end up failing miserably, as in 'Times Like These' or 'Resolve'. His best work lyrically has been when he's just let go and written them without the pretence that he's a good lyricist.

As for "One By One", i actually don't mind a few of the 'softer' songs on there ('Lonely As You', 'Disenchanted Lullaby') as individual songs, but as an album it's an absolute abortion. The original recording of that album before it was scrapped was alot, lot better (called 'Million Dollar Demos', if you want to look them up). I've got a live version of the original 'Come Back' on my old PC that is f*cking brutal ('Come Back' as we know it is 2 songs welded together. The original was one song, about 3 minutes long).

And the reason he wants "I* Y*** H*****" to be remembered is because the title refers to the birth of his daughter, his marriage and his tour in support of John Kerry in the 2004 US Election. Not for the songs then...

Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...
Πανδώρα: MUHAHAHAHAHA!
IGH: And so it ends
Captain Spiky: I've just been loving life, going through the photos in the Meets gallery. so many awesome people that I loved hanging out with

Page: