Sammy's media review

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

5th Aug 2006 at 3:43 pm

equality, tolerance & logic

Sammy's attempts to review films and tv programmes.

Wonderland follows the lives’ of Bill (Jack Shepherd) and Eileen (Kika Markham) and their three grown daughters. Shirley Henderson, a single mother, still wants to spend the nights on the town. While her son spends part of his weekend with his unreliable father(Ian Hart). Molly Parker is due to have her first baby and the father to be John Simm, contemplates fatherhood by quitting his dead-end job and sending the night riding his scooter through London and doing a walkabout. Gina Mckee is works at the waitress and places personal ads, looking for love. Eileen is bitter and forever complaining about her husband and the dog next door. Bill’s a doormat and his West Indian neighbour offers him a drank and share a dance… Her own grown up son Franklyn (David Fahm) locks himself in his room most of the time. Stuart Townsend plays a small role in this film. Set in the late 90s.

The use of the cameras during the filming gives a sense that the viewer is not only watcher the film but is there in person.
Toward one point of the film the viewer gets a feeling that the film is to have a fitting ending then it cuts to another scene. The music during the ending credits is a Classical Piano solo master piece. Fitting ending to a film where people are trying to found contentment in their lives.

Edited by The Man from Southampton Aug 2006
Now is that salary pre or post tax?

100% of Earth's population agrees with the following statement.

"Forces should be spending their time catching rapists and murders and not worry about piracy theft."

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

11th Aug 2006 at 9:58 pm

The Luzhin Defence

The story of a man with only the passion of Chess to repress his past. Loosely based on the novel by Vladimir Nabokov The Luzhin Defence is set in 1920s Italy where the world championships of Chess are being staged. Aleksandr Ivanovich 'Sascha' Luzhin is only here for one reason and that is to play Chess. While staying at the venue Sascha meets a woman who is to be married off by her mother. She becomes drawn to his simplistic yet erratic nature and shows him a world that is away from the Kings, Knights and Pawn of the table. Two worlds, so similar yet different. He’s ill equipped and it leads to a tragic demise.

"Forces should be spending their time catching rapists and murders and not worry about piracy theft."

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

19th Aug 2006 at 7:51 pm

Three colours blue

The first part of a trilogy. The life of a woman after a car accident leaving her with a dead husband and child.  How she loses all hope and direction in life, only to be guided by those around her. The musically score at the end is truly beautiful as is the ending of the film itself.

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

20th Aug 2006 at 7:53 pm

Three colours White

It is wonderful how this film and Three colours blue interlink with one another. throughout the film there is a since of Polish/French/European humour and that is why I love this film as much as the Blue. The scene of The Will and The Russian substitute is the funniest I've seen in ages. Karol a Polish man with no money and Passport as to find a way back to Poland to start a new life after his divorce from is French wife. He meets a Polish man who offers him help, and the two make it back to Poland on the same plane but different methods. Karol comes in to some good luck when he becomes a bodyguard.

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

23rd Aug 2006 at 11:41 pm

Three Colours Red

Forgive me for this review as I'm drunk plus I watched this film at 2am in the morning

The film was a had a slow start compareed to Blue and white. This film did interlink with Blue and White in at least two parts of the film that I noticed. Comical really The film revolved round two main characters. Both of which whom were countering each other’s words. A truly great relationship in the story builds up between the two. There are sad and comical moments in the film.

The three Colours trilogy

It is best to watch these three films in order, The stories depict love, tragedy and humour.

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

20th Oct 2006 at 9:58 pm

It's a wonderful life (1946)

Tells the story of George Bailey a man who gave up his dreams to stay in his home town. Married with four children. On Christmas Eve, he is broken and suicidal over the misplacing of a large amount of money which will lead him to jail. He is about to commit suicide but he ends up saving an Angel. George Bailey wishes many things "I wish I were dead" "I wish I was never born"

He is given his wish and the Angel shows him a world without George Bailey. Bailey sees that his life is of value when he finds out the name of his town is changed because he was never born, the town folk are poor and unhappy. After noticing how important his life is he confronts all his worries. He becomes the happiness man on earth. Not worrying about money he is ready to go to prison. But the town folk are not ready for Bailey to leave, so they come together and gather what money they had to help Bailey. This film will make you reanalysis your life if you were contemplating suicide. A truly wonderful film that will bring a tear to the eyes and a smile to the heart.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page