Shanesphere (the playwright's early work)

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

leftthisplace28-12-07

| 2,740 posts

24th May 2006 at 12:24 pm

leftthisplace28-12-07 - Lord Sebastian Flyte.The one in white.

Lord Sebastian Flyte.The one in white.

Hello I would appreciate any comments to this thread to be made in my Poetry thread, Shane Contra Mundum. Thank you.

A wake (Awake)

persons of the play

Marcus Bridlington ; The bereaved
Jon Piers Damacy  ; The concerned friend
Sissy Tombar  ; Best friend of the deceased
Miles  Tombar  ; Her aimiable husband
6 Pall bearers  (unspoken)
2 Removal porters (unspoken)

Time
The glorious past..

A Wake (Awake)
a short play about dying

Act 1

Pre curtain opening speech;

MARCUS: "Oh, Sophie! Why?" (his voice trails off as the curtain rises upon..)

Scene 1

Scene

Reception room in a Surburban home, airy and large, empty of most furnishings, there are two couches and a trestle table which has been covered hastily with a large dust sheet the kind painters use, evidence of paint can be seen upon it. On top of the trestle table is a coffin, it is almost black in colour, the coffin is not lit, there is a simple arrangement of white flowers on top of the coffin. There is a panelled door to allow players acess at the back of the room.

- Marcus Bridlington, sits alone on one of the couches,in his hands is a short tumbler of whisky he has a soda syphon at his feet. He is dressed in an evening suit that looks as though it has been wore since the previous evening, he also has the beginnings of a beard.

MARKUS: "Why? Why?Why?" (he shakes the glass, the ice jingles)

-Jon Piers Damacy Enters, he is also wearing an evening suit from the night before and gives the impression of being quite drunk, he is carrying a MUG and a bottle of Champagne.

JON: "Oh Marky old thing, shame to leave the old house isnt it? I mean (he looks at the coffin) as if it isnt enough?"

MARKUS: (looks at him) "I can find you a proper glass you know, besides..(he trails off looking at the coffin) Besides this was our house, Sophies and mine, we where going to make a family here.."

JON : (reading the mug, it should be something witty as he laughs a little to himself then looks guilty) (LAUGHS) " Yes, yes you are right,so terribly right, sorry to be such a pain, I really have no idea what to say, I'm on insensitive dangerous ground with every word I try, I really dont know what to say" (he quaffs)

Edited by leftthisplace28-12-07 May 2006
I haven't been manicial all these years I have been in love! It is the exact same dreadful feeling.

leftthisplace28-12-07

| 2,740 posts

24th May 2006 at 12:35 pm

MARKUS: "Its okay Jon, neither do I, (Jon pulls out his tongue here and rolls his eyes)(Markus glares at him) I have to give a speech tomorrow, the speech of my life, or rather hers, I'm usually so good with words Jon. I wish I wasnt, then people wouldnt expect so much, tomorrow is going to be hell."

JON: (sits next to him, fills his own glass looks at his friends) "To tomorrow and a very well phrased speech" (he raises his glass)

MARKUS: (with a half smile) (raises his glass) "Cheers!" (as the glasses clink the DOORBELL rings and the two men look at each other)
I haven't been manicial all these years I have been in love! It is the exact same dreadful feeling.

leftthisplace28-12-07

| 2,740 posts

24th May 2006 at 12:55 pm

MARKUS: (Stands speaks as he walks towards the door)
"That'll be Sissy, you know Sissy? She said she wanted to see Sophie off"(pauses at the coffin) "I best let her in" (he trails his hand along the coffin as he passes it, patting it as he reaches the door, he turns and looks at Jon) "Claymore is getting the flat ready for tommorow, so theres nobody to even open the door in this drab empty coffin of a place." (he sighs and as he leaves through the door...)

JON: (shouting) "Or pour a drink!" (he looks about him, at his mug at his bottle at the soda then his eyes rest on the coffin)

-from corridor

SISSY: "Oh Markus, a beard, how terribly romantic. Although you mustnt let yourself go, not completely, a little is attractive, but not too much."

-Sissy Markus and Miles all enter through the door. Miles is stroking his full beard and looks slightly annoyed. The couple are in smart evening dress.

leftthisplace28-12-07

| 2,740 posts

25th May 2006 at 9:13 am

JON: (stands) "Hello, Sissy, so this is your fella is it?"

SISSY: (hugs Jon) "Yes, Jon this is Miles Tombar, my husband! (Sissy and Miles look at each other happily, sissy then looks back at Jon and Markus) "of course neither of you knew we had married," (pauses, shows Markus her ring)

MARKUS: (smiles) "How lovely, congratulations"

JON: (looks at ring, hold to the light) "It is lovely, strange though, an engagement ring for a wedding band?"

MILES: "It was a little bit of a rush job"

SISSY: (smiling) "oh! nonsence!, I just simply cant resist diamonds!"

JM

| 8,289 posts

26th May 2006 at 10:11 am

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

26th May 2006 at 12:09 pm

John Cage Bubblegum -

Best. Pun. Ever.
Peter Kenyon has a medal

JM

| 8,289 posts

26th May 2006 at 10:25 pm

I thought it started off ok

leftthisplace28-12-07

| 2,740 posts

31st May 2006 at 11:00 am

Quote: JM
I thought it started off ok  

It did you dont have to like it. I did say to comment in the other thread you know. anyway...

leftthisplace28-12-07

| 2,740 posts

31st May 2006 at 11:21 am

JON:  (empties his glass) " I guess we all need a drink?Champagne okay?" (pauses, there are quiet nods, Sissy and Miles have noticed the coffin. Miles looks uncomfortable) "I might have to improvise" (he smiles and shows the mug JON EXITS- carrying his mug and Markus's glass)

MARKUS: "Its the move into the flat, I've scarcley got anything left unpacked, there should be some absinthe glasses from Turkey in the cupboard next to the sink,a present never liked them, vile things"

SISSY: "Well they wont be half big enough for Champers.."

MILES: "Ah absinthe yes,not quite the night for self induced hallucinations really is it? Nice place you seem to be moving from, nice old house," (Smiles)

MARKUS:  (politely) "Thanks"

SD (They all look uncomfortable, JON returns with a tray of various oddments, his mug, a pint glass, a small ornate vase and the whiskey glass)  

MARKUS  " Oh well done Jon old thing."

JON:  (hands out the drinks, Miles gets the pint glass Sissy the vase) " I gave it a rinse it looks aincent"

SISSY:  (Smiles although we can see she finds this revolting) "Very pretty"

JON:  (Turns over the tray it is a biscuit tin lid of some age) "Tah Dah!"

SISSY:  "Oh very resourcefull"

JON:  (puts the lid onto one of the couches, they all stand round the coffin)

MARKUS:  " To my darling wife Sophie"

REST:  (they raise their glasses) "To Sophie"(they drink)

CURTAIN

leftthisplace28-12-07

| 2,740 posts

31st May 2006 at 11:43 am

ACT 1 SCENE 2

scene

Same as before except now the coffin is notibly paler in colour, a subtle but notible shade difference.

MILES AND MARCUS are seated on one of the couches, SISSY stands by the coffin glass in hand, JON sits on the other couch.

There are other used bottles to show time has passed, MARKUS is smoking, MILES is filling his pipe.

SISSY:  (places hand on coffin and shakes, it is obvious that she is crying silently- The men look at each other)

MILES:  (stands having placed his pipe on the couch beside him) "Sissy love," (He goes to her)  "Sis-Sis, its okay."

SISSY:  (huggles into Miles) "Oh Miles"

JON: "How terrible to get married the day your best friend commits suicide!, i mean, I know that sounded wrong, but well, how awful for you I meant, how dramatic and everything!"

SISSY:  (Sobs openly)

MILES :  "Oh for Gods sake!" (Shouts)

MARKUS: (GLARING AT JON) "More drinks I think, Jon."

JON: "I'm so sorry, i think its the air, i think i need to get some of it.." (his voice trails off and he dissapears through the door quickly holding his mouth as to be sick)

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page