Fitness Thread

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

16th Apr 2012 at 10:05 am

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Beginning of the month I set myself a goal; do a 30km cycle by the end of the month. Did it on Saturday, in a pretty good time too. Then had a great session at the gym on Sunday including getting back on the rowing machine for the first time since my back trouble (tried a few weeks ago but my back started at me).

Still only lost 1lb this week though. I'll be booking a gym assessment for the end of the month (where I can get my bodyfat measured to see if I'm at least losing fat and adding muscle, which would explain not losing as much weight as I'd like). Still, I need to see that I'm still making progress. Between July and December (6 months), I lost 4stone. Between January and now (3.5 months), I've only lost half a stone. Now fair enough, January to mid-March I wasn't at the gym due to teeth and back, but I still lost 3lb in the period, so in the last month that I have been back in the gym, I've only lost 4lb. And that's just not good enough.
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Πανδώρα

| 15,329 posts

23rd Apr 2012 at 10:14 am

Πανδώρα -

maybe if i say something here, i'll actually start doing it, rather than just thinking about it.
I've eaten nothing but junk for the last couple of weeks since my mood has been through the floor, so in turn i've gained half a stone-ish.

I was in a place where i could just eat meals and have done with it, that's well and truly gone now as i'm bored as tits.

So the plan for now is to drink more water (the cupboard is full of cans of pop, which are extremely tempting, and have been the go-to drink lately) i don't have the money for it really but soon as i can scrape £20 together, i'm going to buy a new water filter.
Stop eating so much junk between and for meals.
Get the dumbbells back out for my stupidly weak arms (they got tired yesterday and i accidentally knocked my nieces head on the edge of a table)
Take the fat dog out for an hour a day of walking (45 minutes at the absolute least, he needs it as much as i do)
& get my bike out more often.

Just difficult in the fact that i dread going out in case the d*ckhead is out & about.
Rare he would be. But that means the racecourse is off limits completely, which is a sh*t as i could take the dogs down there to walk it, let them off & go round it at my own pace, doing that by the river is hopeless asi'd then have two dogs to bath when i got home.

I did get the wii crap out again last week, as it does actually do some good, but mum being mum, she packed it away the next day, so it's just not even worth starting that again.

But we'll see. I'm not all that bothered how much i lose, just so long as the scales go down & i can get to a point where i'm not knackered at the top of a flight of stairs.
*burp*

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

28th Apr 2012 at 6:01 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Puffalump, Apr 2012
I am here to tell everyone I have now started swimming in the medium lane, rather than the slow lane this is a big achievement for me.

Awesome work.

After being back at the gym for about 6 weeks and barely losing any weight (2.5kg / 5lb), I got another fitness assessment done this morning to see if I'm at least still losing bodyfat and adding muscle.

I am. Bodyfat down 2.5%. 1.5" off my stomach measurement too. Really delighted, mainly because seeing 2lb go off the scale each week was what kept me going, and the last few weeks just staying the same weight or maybe losing a pound was driving me crazy. At least I know even though my weight is staying in or around the same, my bodyfat is still going down.

She did however tell me that my target goal is probably not a good idea. I was kinda aiming for 100lb total weightloss, which would have brought me to 12st2lb. She said for my height and natural build though, I'd be too skinny and it'd take a lot to get down that far, which is fair enough. So going to use a combination of a weightloss target of 85lb and bodyfat percentage under 20%.

Best part of it all today though: Years ago, I had a fight with a lawnmower. Let's just say the lawnmower won. But because of it, I ended up with a muscle imbalance in my right leg. That plus the weight I was carrying meant that this time last year, if I tried to walk on the treadmill at 6km/h, I'd have to stop after about 5 minutes. Today, ran for almost 10 minutes. Would love to take up a bit of running with the ultimate goal of doing a marathon before I'm 30. Seemed like a pipedream last year. Seems like a target now.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

3rd May 2012 at 10:11 am

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Gob, May 2012
Quote: Bryan Johnson, Apr 2012
Quote: Puffalump, Apr 2012
I am here to tell everyone I have now started swimming in the medium lane, rather than the slow lane this is a big achievement for me.

Awesome work.

After being back at the gym for about 6 weeks and barely losing any weight (2.5kg / 5lb), I got another fitness assessment done this morning to see if I'm at least still losing bodyfat and adding muscle.

I am. Bodyfat down 2.5%. 1.5" off my stomach measurement too. Really delighted, mainly because seeing 2lb go off the scale each week was what kept me going, and the last few weeks just staying the same weight or maybe losing a pound was driving me crazy. At least I know even though my weight is staying in or around the same, my bodyfat is still going down.

She did however tell me that my target goal is probably not a good idea. I was kinda aiming for 100lb total weightloss, which would have brought me to 12st2lb. She said for my height and natural build though, I'd be too skinny and it'd take a lot to get down that far, which is fair enough. So going to use a combination of a weightloss target of 85lb and bodyfat percentage under 20%.

Best part of it all today though: Years ago, I had a fight with a lawnmower. Let's just say the lawnmower won. But because of it, I ended up with a muscle imbalance in my right leg. That plus the weight I was carrying meant that this time last year, if I tried to walk on the treadmill at 6km/h, I'd have to stop after about 5 minutes. Today, ran for almost 10 minutes. Would love to take up a bit of running with the ultimate goal of doing a marathon before I'm 30. Seemed like a pipedream last year. Seems like a target now.

Barry,

As your God, I command you to find that lawnmower and smash it to f*cking bits.

Yours,

Phil. Your God.

But my Lord, wouldn't I then have to go back to cutting my lawns with a scissors?

Wait... I see... That would be more exercise. God (Phil) truly does work in mysterious ways, yet his ways are beyond our reasoning. All hail our glorious God! Phil.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

21st May 2012 at 2:08 pm

I aim to misbehave

Yesterday, I turned on my laptop and was going to come on here to post about how I'd started failing motivation-wise and hadn't been to the gym in a few days, was eating sh*te and was just generally feeling low. But when I turned on my laptop, I saw my screen wallpaper...

[http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz43qkTMKe1r1n1bto1_500.jpg]

...so I went out and cycled 35km. A new route with loads of hills (only really cycled flat roads and most I ever did was 30km). And tonight, I'm going to either cycle (maybe a 20km route I know) or I might start the Couch-to-5k program.

I'm planning on really going for it over the next two months. Really strict with food, exercise minimum of 4 days a week, and must lose at least one stone. And want to be able to run the 5k by then too.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

22nd May 2012 at 8:54 am

I aim to misbehave

So, I have discovered that I do not like running. Not even a little bit. My back was killing me and I was coughing and wheezing like a 40-a-day smoker for about 2 hours after.

Running is not for me, not until I build up my general cardio more and lose more weight. So going to do more cycling instead. I like cycling. Still tough, but at least it's somewhat enjoyable and I have less fear of being pinged out of it by a car when I'm on the bike rather than walking/jogging.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

22nd May 2012 at 9:51 am

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Walt Flanagan, May 2012
Quote: Steve-Dave, May 2012
So, I have discovered that I do not like running. Not even a little bit. My back was killing me and I was coughing and wheezing like a 40-a-day smoker for about 2 hours after.

Running is not for me, not until I build up my general cardio more and lose more weight. So going to do more cycling instead. I like cycling. Still tough, but at least it's somewhat enjoyable and I have less fear of being pinged out of it by a car when I'm on the bike rather than walking/jogging.

Running f*cks you up. It may not mean to, but it does... It's terrible for your back and your knees.

Knew it might hurt my legs, but didn't expect my back to hurt as much (though after thinking about it, the impact and compression... makes sense). So because of my recent back trouble, I'm staying away from running (bar the little bit I do in the gym) for a while

Πανδώρα

| 15,329 posts

22nd May 2012 at 10:32 am

Πανδώρα -

all that stuff i said a while back?
Well i've failed at damn near most of it, but my weight is still the same, so... That's all right.
Been doing around 40 minutes walking a day, really need to get that other 20 minutes on top of there.
Did a good 2-3 hours walking on friday, and the same yesterday
After friday my legs were wrecked but today they're not so bad.
As i didn't really leave the house last week for one reasin or another, i tried to find some things i could do around here
Wii is still out of it as the lady has hidden it extremely well this time
Found a skipping rope, which was fun, for about 40 seconds.
Now doing kegels to see if i can tame myself enough with the goal of being able to skip rope.

So that's that...
Eating wise, i've actually been quite good. (other than the Man v. Food omelette last week, then giving in to my chocolate craving last night) had a lot more water in myself, which is always a good thing.
Oh, and the dog has lost a kilo according to the vet
*burp*

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

30th May 2012 at 7:45 am

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Gob, May 2012
JUst seen a picture of you on faceybee and you look mega mate! Keep it up!

As for running, stick with it, try interval training for 5k, thats how I started, 5 minutes run, minute off, then back on, walking for when I needed to recuperate and gradually building it up till I could do 5k without stopping.

The pain though could be down to loads of things, bad posture, bad form, bad footwear and the fact that you're not used to it. I would recommend investing in proper running trainers after having gait analysis as well.

You'll do it mate, you're one committed motherf*cker

Cheers mate. Actually meant to post here that I decided to man the f*ck up and stick at it. Done a few runs (well, walk/runs) since then. Actually started enjoying it a bit. I was probably a bit overconfident starting at Week 2 on the Couch-to-5k plan, so went back down to Week 1. On Week 2 now and found it better than the first time. Talking to a mate at the weekend who took up running last year who gave me some good advice. Said that the C25K doesn't teach you how to run 5k, it just teaches you how to run. Distance isn't the goal, it's learning how to run for an extended period of time. You're right about the posture too for my back. Need to focus more on doing the exercises and stretches the physio gave me, and sitting up straight.

Started Week 2 on Sunday (5 min walk, (90sec jog 2min walk x 6), 5 min walk), then went and walked another 6.5k after so my distance was nearly 10k on Sunday.

My biggest hurdle now is food. Back on the healthy homemade lunches (spinach, chicken and ham with a bit of thousand island dressing). Just need to abandon all sweets and sh*t for the next few weeks. I want another stone gone in the next 7 weeks, and will accept nothing less. That'll bring me under 200lb for the first time in about 10 years.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

14th Jun 2012 at 7:40 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Gob, Jun 2012
How you getting on Baz? I started back at running last week and me legs are in bits

Ah, up and down lad. Been trying to run but rain hampering that. Plus one of the lads has moved to Canada so was hanging out with him a good bit before he went.

Tomorrow though, new plan starts. 30 Day Shred. It's a fitness DVD, but it's one of the toughest going. About 25 minutes every day for 30 days (3 different levels to it so 10 days each). Did 10 minutes on Wednesday and was sweating p*ss and arms still kinda sore after it. Had to stop as I didn't have enough space in the room and didn't have dumbells, so starting it again tomorrow. I'm probably behind on my 7 week plan, so going to have to pull it out of the bag. Going to mix a bit of running in there too though. Do feel myself getting better at it, just need to get into a rhythm.

You aiming towards any goals, running or otherwise?

Πανδώρα

| 15,329 posts

27th Jun 2012 at 12:12 pm

Πανδώρα -

Did i say i was going to start doing stuff in here then turn into a depressive slob almost straight after again?

having gained nearly half a stone again and catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror last night, causing me to vomit in my mouth a little, i'm going to do something & stick to it this time. (though probably said that last time too.)
if i don't, then please, someone, request my address and come round to smack me one.
I don't really have any excuses not to do anything. it's not as if i lack time to put in to it.

goal for the moment is to reach the left side of the 14 mark on the scales.
that right there would be bloody fantastic. think i was last there when i was 16-ish.

besides anything else, i need some strength in my arms.
my niece likes to be held over your head so she can look in the mirror.... which i've come to realise is next to impossible for me to do for more than about 30 seconds.

so that's the weights back out and 20 minutes done today.

been reducing portion sizes & drinking more water the last few days anyway and feeling okay on that, so we;ll see what happens this time...
*burp*

Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...
Πανδώρα: MUHAHAHAHAHA!
IGH: And so it ends
Captain Spiky: I've just been loving life, going through the photos in the Meets gallery. so many awesome people that I loved hanging out with

Page: