Fitness Thread

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

20th Jun 2010 at 6:36 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Quote: pedobear, Jun 2010
I've found recently that I'm not getting sore or achey the day after exercising anymore. While I guess it's a good thing I'm getting fitter, I'm a bit concerned that it means I need to push myself harder to keep improving?

Yup. Especially if you're doing things in the same order all the time. Try mixing it up a little, your body is getting too used to the routine.
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

21st Jun 2010 at 5:03 pm

learrggh -

no sir i am not. my maw owns some of those dinky little pink ones. but i doubt they're useful for anything.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

21st Jun 2010 at 5:22 pm

learrggh -

with the pink ones? what on earth do i do with them? i don't know anything about weights.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

21st Jun 2010 at 10:03 pm

Chris Kamara -

I'm on fire in the gym at the moment. Nailing 80kg on the bicep curl (a record for me at any weight I've been), 100kg on the bench press, 36kg dumbells shoulder press, 120kg quad extensions, 18kg tricep dumbell extensions, all with perfect form. It's going great. I've lifted heavier on some weights before but never at this level of bodyfat, somewhere around 8%.

I'm having two weeks of heavy eating and heavy lifting, to add a bit more muscle, then I'll cut down and maintain again. Tempted to go to a new gym as I'm at my limits with this one, but I'm tied down in a contract 'til August so I'd have to pay it off.

Definition wise it's all going well too, a bit of running now and again, coupled with my 45 minutes of walking every day seems to be doing the trick.

I don't know, the sunny weather makes training even easier to ramp up.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

21st Jun 2010 at 10:43 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: pedobear, Jun 2010
averaging 4hrs exercise a week (exercise bike & ballet) and and finally got my diet under control so i'm eating around 1200 calories a day (which i log online so i'm sure.) and healthily. no weight coming off so far and i managed to put on 4lb overnight.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG.

If you're burning off the same amount of calories you're putting in, then nothing will change. At 1200 calories per day you're probably undereating and your body is clinging on to everything it can for dear life. You'll need more calories than that for just going about your normal day, never mind with the extra exercise on top.

There's around about 3500 calories per pound of bodyfat, if my memory is on the ball. Your deficit in calories I reckon adds up to about 400 per day, based on the height, weight and age I think you are, or 2800 per week. So over 9 days or so you should potentially be able to lose 1 pound of fat. However, you need to do anaerobic activity and keep your protein intake up to help prevent muscle breakdown. You do not want to sacrifice muscle tissue. The more you have, the more calories you will burn at rest as your metabolism will increase.

Your leptin (Google if unsure, well worth knowing about) signals are probably all over the place. If I was you I would consume more calories by about 300 per day (nutritious ones) and start increasing the weights that you lift. You'll need the extra energy to do the extra exercise, and this ultimately would benefit your whole body.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

21st Jun 2010 at 10:48 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: Barrington Smash, May 2010
After several weeks of not losing any weight, I have lost 1lb. How? I didn't go to the gym for a week. To me, this proves that I've been losing fat but putting on muscle, thereby keeping the same overall weight. So I'm going to lay off the weights for a while and go back to doing mostly cardio

No, don't lay off the weights!

Body weight is not a reflection of body fat. The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn overall, and therefore the more potential your body has to get rid of the fat. There is every chance that the week you had off gave your muscles chance to rest, repair and grow, and that is where some of your weight gain has come from. But because of this your metabolism will be faster and more eager to shed fat. Definitely do not give up on the weights. For best fat loss results, target your back and upper legs. Larger muscle areas need more energy to be worked, and will burn more calories when in rest.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

21st Jun 2010 at 10:50 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: Super Nintendo Chalmers, Jun 2010
Not weighed meself, but I'm down to a 15" neck on me shirts, from 18.5/19" 3 years ago

Stirling work

Topper

| 6,773 posts

22nd Jun 2010 at 8:02 am

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Joined a gym last week. I'm like 10 stone 5 and 5 foot 11 and my aim is to improve overall fitness and tone up a bit so I'm not so weedy. Can anyone suggest a programme of cardio/weights?
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

22nd Jun 2010 at 6:46 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Nessa, Jun 2010
Quote: Barrington Smash, May 2010
After several weeks of not losing any weight, I have lost 1lb. How? I didn't go to the gym for a week. To me, this proves that I've been losing fat but putting on muscle, thereby keeping the same overall weight. So I'm going to lay off the weights for a while and go back to doing mostly cardio

No, don't lay off the weights!

Body weight is not a reflection of body fat. The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn overall, and therefore the more potential your body has to get rid of the fat. There is every chance that the week you had off gave your muscles chance to rest, repair and grow, and that is where some of your weight gain has come from. But because of this your metabolism will be faster and more eager to shed fat. Definitely do not give up on the weights. For best fat loss results, target your back and upper legs. Larger muscle areas need more energy to be worked, and will burn more calories when in rest.

Yeah, changed that plan. Think Phil gave me the same advice.

Got a workout off iFitness on the iPhone. Anyone tell me if it's a good one?

5mins rowing machine & stretches

Squat: 10 reps 30kg
Lat Pulldown: 10 reps 40kg
Single-leg standing calf raise: 10 reps each leg
Bulgarian split squat: 10 reps each leg
Bench press: 10 reps 40kg
Ab crunch on ball: 10 reps
Barbell military press: 10 reps 25kg

Then I do 5 minutes cross trainer or bike, then do all the weights again twice, meaning I do all the weights 3 times

Only done this routine twice so far, but feels good. Some of them on the third run-through can be pretty tough, depending what order I do them in, but feels good.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

5th Jul 2010 at 2:58 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Super Nintendo Chalmers, Jul 2010
Quote: Super Nintendo Chalmers, Jul 2010
Weighed myself for the first time in a couple of weeks, down to 12st 6lbs from 13st 10lbs after the Christmas binge Hopefully get down to under 12 by September, that should put me under 10% bodyfat. I just hope they keep the gym on at work so I can carry on the weights, if they don't then I'll just have to focus on conditioning.

Oh and that is down from 16ish stone at my zenith (or nadir)

You're and inspiration lad. Yourself and Jamie have been great inspiration for me. All I need to do is get into a new routine now that I'm not living near the gym. But seriously, fair play to you gasson

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

5th Jul 2010 at 3:17 pm

learrggh -

I've lost 8lb. Smt like a stone to go, or at least 8 more. Dunno.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

5th Jul 2010 at 3:55 pm

learrggh -

Quote: pedobear, Jul 2010
I've lost 8lb. Smt like a stone to go, or at least 8 more. Dunno.

may as well add that the 8lb is what I put on.

my weight fluctuates so much and so rapidly.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

5th Jul 2010 at 6:02 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: the doc, Jun 2010
Quote:
100kg on the bench press,

F*cking hell, Martin.........wouldn't want to walk into a right hook from you

That's my 2 rep max, for a full set of 8 I have to drop to 80kg. Still heavier than me, though. I did my extra eating and heavier lifting for 2 weeks. Now I'm on a 28 day cycle of Methyl E (or 2a,3a Epithio-17a -methyl-17b-hydroxy-5a-androstane for long).

Unsure how the cycle will pan out but maintaining the same calories and protein each day should give me a good indication. Also supplementing milk thistle to help my liver out.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

9th Jul 2010 at 3:44 pm

learrggh -

I've put on 4lb.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

12th Jul 2010 at 7:17 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: Nessa, Jul 2010
Quote: the doc, Jun 2010
Quote:
100kg on the bench press,

F*cking hell, Martin.........wouldn't want to walk into a right hook from you

That's my 2 rep max, for a full set of 8 I have to drop to 80kg. Still heavier than me, though. I did my extra eating and heavier lifting for 2 weeks. Now I'm on a 28 day cycle of Methyl E (or 2a,3a Epithio-17a -methyl-17b-hydroxy-5a-androstane for long).

Unsure how the cycle will pan out but maintaining the same calories and protein each day should give me a good indication. Also supplementing milk thistle to help my liver out.

Scrap the Methyl E, it's painful to my head. Oh well. Back to plain old creatine it is.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

12th Jul 2010 at 7:21 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: The Underwhelmed One, Jul 2010
I think I'm about to join a gym.

I only went in to look at prices, so I could reassure myself that I Would do it, but it costs too much. But actually it doesn't cost that much, and they throw in free assessments and consultations and fat monitoring, I can take two guests every time I go, the spa and sauna are included as well as several complimentary beauty therapies...

And I bumped into one of the scary women from work while in reception and she's a member, and now she wants to 'refer' me so she gets loads of perks and I'm a little scared to tell her no.

I am Very unfit, to the point that in school I was sent for medical referrals more than once as they thought I was asthmatic. I was just running

So yeah, update soon, possibly tomorrow, on my potential joining!

If you're unfit now, it'll only get worse the older you get, and harder to get fit. So you might as well join tomorrow [smiley_on_tredmil.gif]

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

12th Jul 2010 at 7:38 pm

Chris Kamara -

No one ever posts up any pictures on here. I can't recommend taking pictures enough. Once you start seeing improvements they're a really big help. They keep you on the straight and narrow. Hopefully you all take pictures but just don't post them on here

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

12th Jul 2010 at 7:53 pm

Chris Kamara -

Anyhoo, as for my update, the complete balls up that was Methyl E has now cocked up all my plans. I had intended on 4 weeks of that with 4 weeks on a PCT cycle. Now I'm in no mans land, with a week of Methyl in my system and it was probably just about to get to work.

New plan is basically ramp up the protein and creatine. I shall invest in some new Maximuscle Cyclone, long time since I took that stuff, and continue training in the same way I am doing. Essentially 45 minutes of exhausting one muscle group, 5 days per week. Today was biceps and triceps. Seems a good way of mixing it up. The old way was 3-4 sets of super heavy weights. Now I'm not counting sets, just reps (8-10). I can certainly feel it the next day anyway.

Tomorrow is chest, so it's unlikely I'll be hitting the super high weights after the first couple of sets. I'll give it a month of this before going back to the old way. Also by then I'll have a good measure of how the Cyclone has helped.

Update image attached also, lifted from my bodybuilding.com page.

Lately I've included more muscle building routines for my legs. Not something I've done too often because all my trousers were getting too tight, but the new routines have had a massive increase on my ability to burn fat. Yesterday I had a Wispa and a Snickers in succession. First time I've had anything like that in ages

Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...
Πανδώρα: MUHAHAHAHAHA!
IGH: And so it ends
Captain Spiky: I've just been loving life, going through the photos in the Meets gallery. so many awesome people that I loved hanging out with

Page: