The State Of Vr

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Hobbes

| 8,575 posts

8th Jun 2005 at 12:11 am

Hobbes - the hoopiest of all the froods

the hoopiest of all the froods

If someone would like my ML modship they can have it. I've been trying to get my teletext back, but don't have it at the moment so am not any help.
"I'M SIGNIFICANT!!!"
screamed the dust speck

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

8th Jun 2005 at 11:55 am

Quote: S_R_Duck_

On topic:
VR would be better if I was VR King. (Although seeing as how Fi isn't here most of the time, that makes me the most popular person on VR. Don't argue, I have runner-up proof But that doesn't keep me interested either.) Only because I'd still be interested. Ignore this suggestion.

Hey that reminds me, it was about a year since the last one, dya reckon we should do an Ultimate VRer 05?
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

JM

| 8,289 posts

8th Jun 2005 at 1:17 pm

Quote: Hobbes_
If someone would like my ML modship they can have it. I've been trying to get my teletext back, but don't have it at the moment so am not any help.

Well if people think i can do it, i'll give it a shot.

Still ML isn't exactly the main problem in all of this. There's other things as people have mentioned.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

8th Jun 2005 at 1:18 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

I'd very much like to avoid George in the first round this year though. Despite actually drawing with him last year.
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

8th Jun 2005 at 1:26 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: And_Then_My_Mind_Split_Open_

It wasn't about a year, it was last September. I remember that because I was in Scotland at the time.

Yup, the winner was decided on the 19th of September.
Final thread is hither

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

8th Jun 2005 at 2:55 pm

But it started in August, and it'll be July before I can commit to anything, and July is 11 months away from August, which is nearly a year. So up yours.

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

8th Jun 2005 at 6:00 pm

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Quote: S_R_Duck_
=
Yeah. Having a MINIMUM character limit on posts perhaps - that'd stop the " " posts, which seriously drive me up the wall, and others too I'd assume.

Problem with that is that people will then start replacing " " comments with " " comments, or at the very least, putting "
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

8th Jun 2005 at 6:11 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: unperson_

Problem with that is that people will then start replacing " " comments with " " comments, or at the very least, putting " " (ie, a smiley with several space marks after it) to bump it over that limit.

Hmph, it seems that the masses (masses=Martin+George) demand a ML leters column mutiny. Tsch.

lol, dont take offence at all! and i'm not demanding it, just merely offering options, such is the spirit of the thread.

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

8th Jun 2005 at 6:31 pm

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

None taken (thoughinfairnessimmoreactiveamodthenthegirlsbutidontknowwhyibotherasinevergetanyrecognitionhereiambrainthesizeofaplanetandtheygetmecorrectingwlwstyposafewtimesaweekdonttalktomeaboutlife)

*goes back to eating comfort food and looking round with shifty eyes*
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

Big nose strikes again

| 2,343 posts

8th Jun 2005 at 8:27 pm

Hmm. I've scanned over this thread - I'll say this, whether its on topic or not. My main reason for going to the ubermeet was cause i thought id be 'in with the in crowd' once youd met me. It hasnt really worked...That hugs thread rocks. We need more nice threads. I started one a while ago, twas about Little Blue Fox..
[

Hobbes

| 8,575 posts

8th Jun 2005 at 9:57 pm

Quote: Pablo_the_Uninspired_

Hey that reminds me, it was about a year since the last one, dya reckon we should do an Ultimate VRer 05?

Yeah, can I be exempt this year and not play as I won last year. If you want you could make a rule that past winners can't be in it though that might ruin it for some people. Either way I wouldn't like to be included again.
"I'M SIGNIFICANT!!!"
screamed the dust speck

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

8th Jun 2005 at 10:17 pm

Chris Kamara -

I also would like to not be included, I would not be voting for others and so I'd prefer exemption from the votes.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

8th Jun 2005 at 10:55 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote:
Fi has a good reason, Martin you're just being a spoilsport. I want to see you crash and burn

No i'm not We're all entitled to a choice. I played ball last year. This year I don't want to. No harm in that.

Quote:
And Rob, no-one ever gets recognition for ML. Deal with it

This is true, unfortunately.

Quote:
Back on topic, I think the Rotating Columns idea may have more weight if a starting line-up was decided (providing Andrew has no objections).

I agree, I think if it goes ahead, rotation would be a good idea, and even if it doesn't work, at least we gave it a try.

JM

| 8,289 posts

9th Jun 2005 at 1:04 pm

Rotation definatly sounds good. Another new column on something though should still be considered, i think.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

9th Jun 2005 at 10:36 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

Out of curiosity, does anyone think that bringing back Saturday Showcase would work on ML?

And yes, it has been falling apart as of late (well, for the last six months or so) and this is basically because George held it together with the website. It's also a lack of motivation; when it first started it was all shiny and new, which meant that us three mods would copy up the letters without fail. It's a case of things getting stale again, so maybe a rotation of mods (keeping one from time to time just so somebody knows what they're doing) or copier monkies? Which I know happens at the moment, but not so structured. But if people knew that they only got the *glory* of being a copier monkey/ mod for a certain amount of time, they might try their hardest to do their best and make the most of that time.

Then again, probably not.

Column rotation, on the other hand, sounds like a very good idea.
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Hobbes

| 8,575 posts

10th Jun 2005 at 12:47 am

It's already been restarted on a trial basis.
"I'M SIGNIFICANT!!!"
screamed the dust speck

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

10th Jun 2005 at 8:31 am

Chris Kamara -

the saturday showcase I think fi meant.

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

10th Jun 2005 at 9:25 am

Captain Spiky - Cockwomble

Cockwomble

The current forum mods are actually Phil, Laura and Fi - it hasn't been me for a long time coz I wasn't around.

I think we should bring back The Dumping Ground, or at least something very much like it - i.e a column specifically for discussing serious social issues and politics. Most people seem to agree that there should be more serious discussion and less superficiality, and if it was all gathered on one board then anyone who isn't interested in that kind of thing could easily avoid it. I have a couple of ideas for threads already.
I don't know who could take Patrick's place and moderate it though... Phil maybe?
Now that we're here we may as well go too far.

Will

| 6,984 posts

10th Jun 2005 at 3:39 pm

Ive just noticed this thread, only cause someone pointed it out on livejournal.

I dont read this column, in fact i only read conversational stuff, music, rants, and spam. and then i only read threads that sound vaguely interesting or started by people of worth. things are getting rather boring around here to say the least. most of the intelligent people have all but gone.

either that or we're just growing up. spazzing back through the history brings up posts of utter f*cking spam and lots of smileys. i mean, no one uses those hundreds of smilies anymore, and anyone who does is a n00b.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

10th Jun 2005 at 4:23 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

Quote: Hobbes_
It's already been restarted on a trial basis.

Dear God, I should really pay more attention.

I'm blaming the fact that I didn't get any more LJ comment replies after yours
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

10th Jun 2005 at 4:28 pm

TinyShine -

I don't really read this column or Joel's cos erm.....i don't see their main 'function'. they are just like conversational and seem to serve the same purpose?

sorry if I missed the point!

Sarah xx

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

10th Jun 2005 at 5:05 pm

Quote: Big_Bob_Flapper_
Or not?

In my opinion, Alan has been very good in that sense in this column, and people jsut haven't been interested in it. Waste of space.

I disagree, they've done quite well.

Edited by Albi The Racist Dragon Jun 2005

Caged Liberty

| 11,209 posts

10th Jun 2005 at 6:47 pm

Caged Liberty - Torrential high seas dragged me to my knees

Torrential high seas dragged me to my knees

Regarding Chris' idea about the forum mods for the main boards taking a more active role in keeping conversational stuff etc interesting - I'm happy to start trying to post more threads to contribute to it, but the main point of the role is to make sure things are in the right place, etc - I feel we do a good job there, most of it won't be noticed due to the nature of the job. To have new mods selected based on their ability to contribute seems unnecessary to me - isn't that what the personal columns are supposed to be? But I agree everyone should try and post more.

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

11th Jun 2005 at 9:25 am

Captain Spiky - Cockwomble

Cockwomble

I think columns are better when they're led by just one person rather than several. If each thread is started by the same person then there's more sense of unity and the board has a distinctive feel to it, whereas when the threads are started by different people that's when it seems like just an extension of the conversational board.

I know it's hard to find an individual who has enough interesting stuff to say to warrant having their own column, but it seems like the perfect solution to let 2 members have a column each for say a month, and then swap and let another 2 members have a go... Is that something that could work? They could then decide what they wanted to put in their own column, and how serious or frivolous a tone they wanted to set.
Now that we're here we may as well go too far.

Rose

| 3,316 posts

11th Jun 2005 at 4:59 pm

A very attractive man. Not me. Him.

Quote: Big_Bob_Flapper_
Or not?

In my opinion, Alan has been very good in that sense in this column, and people jsut haven't been interested in it. Waste of space.

i enjoy alan's writing very much, yours too chris, but i often agree with your points which you make very thoroughly and i find myself with little to add.

the idea of a "VR soap" doesn't really appeal to me but i think at the moment anything is worth a try.
Anton Chekhov - Smash Hits

IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...

Page: