Creationist vs Evolution

Posted In: Archive. Reading This Thread:

The Slush Puppy

| 119 posts

24th Jan 2005 at 1:28 pm

.....because fact into doubt won't go

I personally subscribe to the discworld theory that the earth is aplate balanced on four elephants standing on a tortoise. My proof of this is thus: who here has ever been to the edge of the world to prove this theory??????
I also believe eating bananas is canniballism and everyone should have a sense of humour. Goodnight
No Sprinkles!! For every sprinkle i find, i shall kill you!!

insert name here

| 381 posts

24th Jan 2005 at 1:49 pm

An indie boy with self-hatred issues

You mean to say that I have been eating people?! And here's me thinking that I was civilised. Oh well.
I dreamt about stew last night...

The Slush Puppy

| 119 posts

24th Jan 2005 at 1:53 pm

you have been gorging on the dead foetus' of homeless banana people

insert name here

| 381 posts

24th Jan 2005 at 2:01 pm

An indie boy with self-hatred issues

I'm a mass murderer. Thanks for that.
I dreamt about stew last night...

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

24th Jan 2005 at 3:49 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

I sort of believe both theories are true because there are lots of gaps in eveolution, but there are also lots of examples of evolution. I think i believe adaptation instead of evolution, but i am so not sure. Maybe things were created and then evolved, too. (?)

I do not believe the big bang because in the beginning there had to be nothing, but nothing can be created from nothing, so how is god created too? - also, how did the world exist at-all if there was nothing (which there has to be), but if there really is nothing then how come there is anything? ( silly paradox! :-[)
There is a new theory too that tiny universes (which contain everything) appear into this dimension from other dimensions, and the little universes expand into big universes. I am not sure it is true.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

The Slush Puppy

| 119 posts

25th Jan 2005 at 10:19 am

What about my theory? It holds a lot of weight in scientific circles.

Local Person

| 261 posts

1st Feb 2005 at 7:51 pm

Lines and lines and lines and lines and lines!

Creationism = Religion
Evolution = foundation of much of Biology

They should be taught separately.

I was taught about different stories of creation, including one about a giant turtle, in R.E. That's where I'd expect to be taught it. If they had started to tell me that God had created humans in biology, i would have had a go. As far as i'm concerned, no matter how hard people try, science and religion are quite separated
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.com/Resources/Photos/avatars/VRSig2.jpg]

Stewie: But will you be prancing when. . .when. . when there's nothing to prance about? Hmm? Will you be prancing then? (Family Guy)

The Slush Puppy

| 119 posts

16th Feb 2005 at 11:08 am

I have spoken to Proffessor Stephen Hawking (Mbe, OBE, Sfg) several times and he has agreed to withdraw his hypothesis in favour of mine and Mr Pratchetts, so there!!! pphhbbtt

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

16th Feb 2005 at 12:17 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

[http://www.goerie.com/roadhouse/shows/showpics/livingdead3.jpg]

Zombie Dave, he say: "Prrz drr nrrrt rrrsrrrrrct trrr thrrrd."

"Trrrsorrr."

Parsley Possum

| 132 posts

17th Feb 2005 at 2:43 pm

Parsley Possum - How near, how far, how lost we are.

How near, how far, how lost we are.

I have absolutely zero tolerance for the cavemen of creation ( as Dawkins calls them). Creationism is as far removed from science as a belief system could be and for it to be taught in schools is ridiculous. Not only is creationism unscientific but its also philosophically untenable - there's no good reasons for believing God exists let alone that he created humans, animals etc. Evolution is "only a theory" in the sense that relativity is only a theory - evolution has an overwhleming amount of evidence behind it and to bisbelieve it is perverse at best.

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

17th Feb 2005 at 2:55 pm

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

I still prefer the humans are an alien experiment theory.
Never take life seriously.

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

17th Feb 2005 at 3:20 pm

Is the avatar upload thing broken?

No good reasons for believing God exists...
Well, I'm not gonna copy the whole thing over to here, but we've been discussing the existence of God on another forum, it's worth having a read of what I put up there earlier, I think.

(No more link)

Now, this is what I believe, but I'm not trying to force it upon anyone else, blah blah etc </disclaimer>

Edit. The thread in question has been deleted, but if anyone wants a copy of what it was that was linked to, post asking for it and I'll put it on here. Otherwise it's just a waste of time and effort.

Edited by Rainbow Feb 2005

Parsley Possum

| 132 posts

18th Feb 2005 at 8:44 am

I have five minutes until a lecture, but here goes:

Quote:
Of course we cannot prove there is a God by reason or by logical argument.

Why on earth not? This amounts to an admission that the universe could conceivably have arisen by processes other than God's creation and thus God is not needed to explain anything.

Quote:
You cannot prove love in this way either. That does not mean that love does not exist!

You can however quantify love as the name we give to chemical reactions that occur in the brain.

Quote:
Philosophers who deny the existence of God find they have to put God back into their thinking by using another word or expression - 'The Absolute', 'The Life force' or 'The Ground of Existence'.

Equally, theistic philosophers who try to prove God's existence end up merely "proving" the existence of such an abstract, featureless entity that it might as well just be another name for nature itself.

Quote:
They have to do this because the amazing univers and the world in which we live demand a master designer, architect, engineer and artist.

A very popular fallacy with no real substance, which I feel doesn't deserve a rebuttal.

Quote:
God has no beginning and no end. He is not limited by time - hours, days, weeks and years - as we are.

Since time until the present is finite, this amounts to saying that God is "removed" from time, and since causality is time-dependent, this means that God couldn't have created anything!

Quote:
He never changes, as we do.

How about changing from a God that hasn't created the universe to a god that has!

Quote:
We live in a world of outstanding beauty and order.

Subjectively of course. Order and matter go hand in hand so the universe could not have conceivably been less ordered.

That's all I have time for folks.

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

18th Feb 2005 at 9:59 am

Meh. I didn't write the book.

But I notice you've avoided responding to the fact that everything couldn't have happened by chance.
God created time, you're limited by it. What you've said is exactly as that book said, you're trying to place God inside time, when he is outside it.

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

18th Feb 2005 at 10:59 am

I think it can, and the book I quoted from on the other forum says:
Quote:
'Adam' is simply the Hebrew word for man - the first man.
We do not know whether the first true man, 'homo sapiens', came from other animal life.

So evolution may well exist (I still don't think it does) and it could well be God-guided.

Parsley Possum

| 132 posts

21st Feb 2005 at 9:47 am

Quote:
But I notice you've avoided responding to the fact that everything couldn't have happened by chance.
God created time, you're limited by it. What you've said is exactly as that book said, you're trying to place God inside time, when he is outside it.

I would say that God existing is far more unlikely than everything coming into being by chance. Probability only makes sense in context. It is entirely possible that the whole of existence arose by chance - the big bang happened and physics did the rest.
Since the big bang was also the beginning of time, it doesn't make sense to talk of it being caused.

God couldn't actually have caused time to exist as causality is temporal ie cause must precede effect - how can cause precede effect if time doesn't exist? For similar reasons, a being outside of time would be powerless to cause anything as outside of time there is no causality.

Quote:
There could theoretically be a god then

Not the Western God (omnipotent, omnisicient, morally perfect, eternal). Such qualities are self contradictory.

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

21st Feb 2005 at 2:15 pm

snarf!

what caused the big bang then if time or anything for that matter didn't exist before that moment, then what the heck caused it in the first place?

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

21st Feb 2005 at 11:33 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: Captain_Stupendo_
what caused the big bang then if time or anything for that matter didn't exist before that moment, then what the heck caused it in the first place?

No one knows. No one will ever know, people can only speculate and make 'educated guesses'.

Parsley Possum

| 132 posts

22nd Feb 2005 at 11:42 am

It wouldn't be inconsistent with any known principles for the big bang to be uncaused.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

23rd Feb 2005 at 12:32 am

Chris Kamara -

See, this is one of the things that makes it impossible for me to dispel the idea of there being a God. i'm not a believer that God created the world, etc. But I also don't believe it was the result of an 'accident'. Perhaps that's contradictory, but things are so impossible to be sure on, that i'd rather just remain impartial and be entertained by both theories.

Imagine absolutely nothing. No stars, no planets, nothing. Where did the nothing come from? the blank canvas... space itself. then the stars.. and the planets.. and the intricate life forms.. its just.. well its overwhelming. It's difficult to understand that all this must have come from chemical reactions (or whatever technical science type thing) when at some point there must have been absolutley zero to work with. It's impossible to comprehend and give a true answer for. But lets say that, if space in its most minimal way (a blank canvas, no nothing) can exist 'outside' of time, then who's to say that a God can't too? But then.. where did a God come from? It's someting that interests me a lot, and annoys me a lot too, especially when people attempt to dispel other theories without any proof.

Who knows, one day I might change my mind and believe there is a God. Or I may not. If I do, it still doesn't make it true. And if I remain as I am, it still doesn't mean there is no God.

There's no real point to what i've just said... I think I just felt like saying something more on the subject, despite it deviating slightly from the purpose of the thread.

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

23rd Feb 2005 at 12:24 pm

snarf!

Another i like well one i just made up is that time itself is a large paradox, perhaps the universe we live in now was created by the death of a universe that existed before, that string theory programme said that its possible for there to be many different universes let alone galaxies etc... But then again that still doesnt come up with how thoses universes got there in the first place... *SPACECRAFT* i still think aliens are involved

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

23rd Feb 2005 at 1:27 pm

Chris Kamara -

its impossible to comprehend. i could turn this into an astronomy thread quite easily but i'll do my best not to.

i realise this is a thread about creationism vs evolution, and not about other planets, space, etc.

if no one objects to talking about other life forms, other universies, planets, space, etc in this thread (and people do want to talk about that stuff) then i'm more than happy to. if not, we could always have another thread.

i've a feeling the God vs Science thing has been run down as much as is possible now.

Parsley Possum

| 132 posts

3rd Mar 2005 at 8:46 am

Quote:
i've a feeling the God vs Science thing has been run down as much as is possible now.
Posted by: Captain Stupendo

No chance, we've barely scratched the surface.

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

3rd Mar 2005 at 9:22 am

But carrying on the entire God Vs Science thing gets boring and repetetive. If this was just about Creation, or any one other subject, then yeah. But I think trying to fit all manner of religious discussion into one thread simply won't work, because there's far too much to cover.

Anyway, Creation and Evolution don't need to be "Vs" because even if evolution is the truth it would have been created at some point, i.e. single cell organisms.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

3rd Mar 2005 at 10:48 am

Chris Kamara -

Quote: Parsley_Possum_

No chance, we've barely scratched the surface.

well that was the first post on this thread for a week, so let's say 'i've a feeling it's been run down as much as it is going to be on this thread' instead.

Parsley Possum

| 132 posts

4th Mar 2005 at 8:37 am

Quote:
Anyway, Creation and Evolution don't need to be "Vs" because even if evolution is the truth it would have been created at some point, i.e. single cell organisms.

Single cell organisms could well have arisen naturally, evolution doesn't rest on any kind of deliberate creation.

Anyway, "Creation" in this context generally refers to humans being created in their present state.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

5th Mar 2005 at 4:14 pm

Chris Kamara -

well after weeks and weeks of waiting, i've finally voted in the poll.

i don't really like to vote in polls like these, wheres theres nothing concrete to base answers on, but meh, 19 years of my life i've believed in evolution, it's going to take something rather special to convince me otherwise. namely video footage and a free pass to heaven that i can use as and when, even if i've not conked out.

Parsley Possum

| 132 posts

7th Mar 2005 at 9:50 am

Quote:
this is of course important as we all believe that God is beneviolent and caring

I think that typo (beneviolent) is rather telling! Plenty of species in the past haven't survived because they were not well adapted enough: neanderthal man is one that springs to mind. While evolution is a non-random process, the genetic mutations which provide evolutionary changes are random so it provides no guarantee that any species will survive.

As for God being benevolent and caring, one word springs to mind: tsunami. A benevolent God would surely have intervened.

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

7th Mar 2005 at 10:44 am

Yes, the tsunami was a disaster, and was a tragedy.
However, look at what it did for unaffected places - the generosity of some people was genuinely amazing. It restored several people's faith in humanity.

Christian belief:
We have to remember that God can see 'the bigger picture'. We see the now and the past, God sees all time. His thoughts are far higher than human thoughts can comprehend. Everything that happens leads to something else happening, that is, everything happens for a reason. And where it's obviously true that we can't see what that reason is, God can.
Scripture tells us that in the 'end times' there will be, among other things, natural distasters in many parts of the world. Which, tied in with the other things it talks about, is prophecy coming to fruition. All the signs point to Jesus returning to earth sooner than we care to imagine. There will be more natural disasters. There will be persecution towards Christians - not just physical violence, but to the point where unless a person bears a Satanic mark they won't even so much as be able to buy a loaf of bread. It's coming. The amount of demonic forces at work in this world is astounding, and increasing rapidly. Satanism is rampant not only in underground cults but in major corporations, government officials, even within the Christian church. Christians - TRUE Christians - have to take up the armour of God and be extremely wary. Stay with God, the end, as they say, is near.
/Christian belief

So, in a nutshell, natural disasters are a sign of the end times.

If anything I've said has offended anyone - I'm sorry. But what I've posted is the Christian belief and what Christians believe to be the truth. If anyone should want to complain about it then take it to PMs.... That'll do for a disclaimer.

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

7th Mar 2005 at 12:20 pm

snarf!

Sorry but wheres the proof im not beleiving in anything that theirs no proof for and as for god being caring pfff, ive seen and read about more violence being commited in gods name than anything else in history, the crusades, terrorist attacks on 9/11 the churches persecution of people who were different and not to mention the war in iraq which is a religious crusade by Bush and america the countless millions who have died because of that perverted ideaology makes me despair.

Sorry religion really p*sses me off when people say Gods caring ive never witnessed it.

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

7th Mar 2005 at 12:37 pm

There's always going to be idiots, anywhere you go, and that includes religion. People who kill in the name of Islam are stupid - the word Islam means peace. Nowhere in the Qu'ran does it say 'kill those who don't bow before Allah'. These people do not understand their own religion! The same goes for Christian 'fanatics', like the people who attacked abortion clinic doctors a few weeks back. That was wrong, no question about it.
But this is because people are flawed. People sin. It's people that are killing people in this case, not God. They may say they're doing it for God, but because people are flawed they can be and in these cases are misguided.

God cares. Of course He cares. If He didn't care, Jesus wouldn't have died on the cross. Historical records show that this happened. If God didn't care, churches and charities like Christian Aid, BMS etc, would not exist. It's because God cares that churches and Christian charities want to help people in poverty, in this country as much as the third world.
Just yesterday, there was a seemingly homeless person outside the church as the minister was arriving. He asked the minister if he had any money for a cup of tea, to which the minister replied: "Why don't you come into church and I'll make you a cup of tea?" Without saying he had to stay for the actual service or anything like that, but the man declined, saying "The only time I'm going in a church is when I'm flat on my back in a wooden box." So it's not that God doesn't care, here the minister was showing God's love through caring for the man, offering him a cup of tea, but the man didn't want to know. God cares, but people often block that He does and don't want to know. If people were more open to God's care then they would experience it.

britbouncer

| 15 posts

7th Mar 2005 at 12:57 pm

britbouncer - MY TIE HAS AN ERECTION

MY TIE HAS AN ERECTION

Scientists argue that god cannot existbecause that there no proof, yet they are all going crazy over this thing called 'string theory' which is supposedly the 'theory of everything'. This is basically a vibrating strand of energy which is supposed to be inside protons I think. As yet they have found no way of being able to prove this theory yet hundereds of scientists are more than happy to accept that it is right. I cannot see too much difference in believing in a little strand of energy and an all seeing all knowing god because there is no way of proving either.
THE MUSHROOMS ARE FLYING
BUT A STRAWBERRY TAKES UP A LOT MORE ROOM

Parsley Possum

| 132 posts

7th Mar 2005 at 1:13 pm

Quote:
unless a person bears a Satanic mark they won't even so much as be able to buy a loaf of bread.

Do you realise how paranoid that sounds? Christianiaty is still the majority belief in most western countries, yet many Christians act like they're being marginalised when it couldn't be further from the truth.

Quote:
Everything that happens leads to something else happening, that is, everything happens for a reason.

Whatever end the Asian tsunami was a means to, why could an all powerful god not find an alternative path which didn't require the death of thousands? The only conclusion is that God is as powerless over causality as the rest of us, and therefore no God at all.

Quote:
Scripture tells us that in the 'end times' there will be, among other things, natural distasters in many parts of the world.

Natural distasters are hardly a new phenomenon. People have been positing the end of the world for millennia.

Quote:
Scientists argue that god cannot existbecause that there no proof

No, scientists suspend any kind of belief in god because there is no proof.

Quote:
As yet they have found no way of being able to prove this theory yet hundereds of scientists are more than happy to accept that it is right. I cannot see too much difference in believing in a little strand of energy and an all seeing all knowing god because there is no way of proving either.

That just isn't true either. Scientists are excited by it because of it's mathematical elegance, it's possible explanatory power and it's predictive properties. The only scientist which believes a theory without sufficient evidence is a creation "scientist".
There may be a way of proving string theory, there may not, but there are certain phenomena which could provide evidential backing for it, and as string theory is very new, it may be a very long time before scientists know either way.

britbouncer

| 15 posts

7th Mar 2005 at 1:15 pm

MY TIE HAS AN ERECTION

Quote: Jailbait_

Where was the first atom you ask?Well who created God and where was he before he created the heavens?I don't know enough about creationist theory to comment on it. That question can be asked forever and the answer will never be found.What was first?Who knows.

To this I would like to ask, if you can believe that there has always been something there i.e atoms or some early form of matter or something to create the pressure which resulted in the big bang and is not understood, why is it so hard to believe that their is some higher being which is also not understood. there is no proof for either.
THE MUSHROOMS ARE FLYING

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

7th Mar 2005 at 1:23 pm

Chris Kamara -

Re: Tsunami / Natural Disasters

This for me is one of the main reasons I find it very difficult to entertain the idea that there may be a God. Obviously I can't dispel it as fiction, but, well put it this way, if I created the Earth i'd not be wanting Tsunamis. I can't think of a single good reason for the death of thousands.

I must say that i'm chuffed that everyone can handle a coherant debate without anything petty or malicious. My concerns earlier in the thread now look exaggerated.

britbouncer

| 15 posts

7th Mar 2005 at 1:34 pm

MY TIE HAS AN ERECTION

As a christian I am of the view point that when god created the earth he created it perfect. Because if the diobediance of man god basically said see how you can cope on your own. When we have a nice easy going life we tend to forget what we have had to struggle through to get where we are today and for those who are religeous and having a decent wage, secure home, etc we tend to forget to thank god for what we have. So when a disaster like this happens in general you here people screaming 'Why god why' or something along those lines so it is reminding you god is still there.
THE MUSHROOMS ARE FLYING

britbouncer

| 15 posts

7th Mar 2005 at 6:54 pm

MY TIE HAS AN ERECTION

What I am saying is that god is there but people choose to ignore him until until its suits them.
THE MUSHROOMS ARE FLYING

britbouncer

| 15 posts

7th Mar 2005 at 6:56 pm

MY TIE HAS AN ERECTION

Also the people who have a easy life and ignore god usually blame him or question what happened when something bad happens.
THE MUSHROOMS ARE FLYING

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

7th Mar 2005 at 8:11 pm

Chris Kamara -

well that's all well and good, but it doesn't really explain the need for tsunami's, etc.

unless you're saying that God lets Tsunamis (etc) happen in order for people to take notice of him and let them know He is still there?

Parsley Possum

| 132 posts

8th Mar 2005 at 9:51 am

Quote:
As a christian I am of the view point that when god created the earth he created it perfect. Because if the diobediance of man god basically said see how you can cope on your own.

God created humans. God created human nature. This shows an embarassing lack of foresight on God's part.

Quote:
What I am saying is that god is there but people choose to ignore him until until its suits them.

I think not. The vast majority of the world's population believe in God.

You theists can't claim that God's mind is inscrutable and also claim to know his motives.

I've come up with plenty of objections in this thread, many of which have gone unaddressed. I'd hate to think the theists aren't up to the debate...

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

8th Mar 2005 at 10:17 am

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

its pretty simple, we have evidence suggesting that Evolution is correct. We have no evidence to suggest the Creationism is correct.

To those of you who voted for creationism, I'd hate to be in court and realise you were the jury. I know it goes against religion and all, and I am a Christian, but there's only one answer in my opinion
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: