RIP megazine

Posted In: Mega-Zine Chat. Reading This Thread:

Colin

| 10,038 posts

4th Jul 2006 at 2:31 pm

Colin -

I've designed a petition, I just have to wait for the site to accept it. After that, we'll write in to 'Zine for people to sign it, right? And then we'll tell Teletext about it.
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Jul 2006 at 2:54 pm

Chris Kamara -

Ha, 'hat-rack'. *steals*

To be honest, I think 'Zine is probably better off gone now. It's only got worse over the last year or so, and it'll most probably continue in that vein.

However, it would be a shame for it to go, and I'd happily sign the petition to keep it going.

It'd be good if we could rescue it from extinction and then turn it into something amusing again, though.

4th Jul 2006 at 4:50 pm

Now it is a shame that 'Zine is being layed to rest but an online pertition to stop it's inevitable end? 'Zine is long past it's glory days and is just stumbling along now. It's time to just let go. To retain the good memories of times past rather than watch it get worse.

I might be wrong here but think about it. Think about all the past 'Ziners. The days of 142 or whatever it was. The original WLW and all the oldies would probably prefer to remember it for when it was at its best rather then the gradual death 'Zine has slowly succumbed to.
Hideous Defunct Creation

Colin

| 10,038 posts

4th Jul 2006 at 5:39 pm

Colin -

If people can fight to preserve 'Zine, VRers can fight for WLW to be less sh*t, maybe.

4th Jul 2006 at 6:57 pm

Maybe although at the end of the day this incarnate of WLW must have been cheaper than the previous one. I don't think this one could be witty.
Hideous Defunct Creation

| 2,016 posts

4th Jul 2006 at 7:28 pm

Trying to bring back 'Zine now would be a bit like trying to bring back Happy Days, as in the fonzey and ginger guy who writes Arrested Development happy days

t'as jumped the shark!

Anyone remember when they first came across 'Zine...i'm talking late nineties early noughties and it was so incredibly mystical i mean the mythology of Zine was so intact... I remember wondering about the beginnings of 'Zine, seeing the pictures of the 'Ziners who preceded my knowledge of it like Enfant Terrible, Snaz, Jacobean Skate Punk, Savage Cabbage seem to spring to mind.

It's important to remember that everyone was a newbie at one point. I've seen recent 'zine letters which refer to 'zine legends who are people i've never even heard of, must have only been writing over the past couple of years and I think how such a letter would have been very different five years ago when I wrote regularly, but of course ten years ago would be different still. It seems the nature of 'zine is everyone has their little time in the limelight, like waves coming and going.

It is all our fault, as a group consciousness of 'ziners that it has gone the way it has, it is the way with good things, more people get wind of them and eventually it all gets somewhat diluted and as we're seeing now collapses on itself. No snowflake in an avalanche ever felt responsible...not particularly relevant but a good quotings

Well anyway the time for 'zine is up, it's not necessary anymore, we've all learned all we can from it and it's time to move on. I'm sure we've all made some wonderful friends and met some great people thanks to it, even if a tree is chopped down it lives on forever in it's saplings.

Anyway ta-ra and universal cosmick love to the house party, chaps

p.s. think it's a good idea to send a letter to WLW asking for something of a 'zine history...maybe a revealing of the secrets? Even an invitation to come on here and just set the 'zine record straight. It should not be a case of a missing last page
Triptoheaveandhoupdowntoandfroyouhaveno
wordtriptriptoadreamdragonhideyourwingsina
ghosttowersailscacklingateveryplatewebreak
krackedbyscatteredneedlesthelittleminute
goNg

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

4th Jul 2006 at 11:03 pm

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Holy crap, talk about the Ancients coming out from the woodwork
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 9:22 am

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

Digital teletext takes an age to load, and whats the big bloody deal about digital anyway, theres always a lag and for some reason the voices sometimes go out of sinc with the people on the screen!
Never take life seriously.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

5th Jul 2006 at 9:31 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Quote: CandyAngelBabe
Ha, 'hat-rack'. *steals*

To be honest, I think 'Zine is probably better off gone now. It's only got worse over the last year or so, and it'll most probably continue in that vein.

However, it would be a shame for it to go, and I'd happily sign the petition to keep it going.

It'd be good if we could rescue it from extinction and then turn it into something amusing again, though.

Claire stole it as well. It's a Friends reference.

I had Rob's PM and I replied. I dunno if he got it, though.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

5th Jul 2006 at 10:16 am

Hang on a minute! Am I reading what I read right? JSP is a member of VR? There are pics of him? Where?! I wanna see.

1929 is totally right. It had such a vast mystical quality too it. But that is gone. The whole enimga, the curiosity has died. I mean when I had that whole 'Zine War with Parsley Possum that just snowballed. It engrosed so many 'Ziners (although I could be wrong lol) just like proir 'Zine Wars. It worked cause it felt so real. It felt so vibrant. It had a magic that has dissapated into nothing now. It doesn't feel real anymore. It has lost all those amazing qualities that kept me transfixed when I was at school. It was like every 'Ziner almost was the name if you get what I mean. That just doesn't work anymore though. You became so engrosed by the name, by who this person could really be. But not anymore. It is time for Megazines funeral people. We have to let it go.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough lol.
Hideous Defunct Creation

wombat

| 8,154 posts

9th Jul 2006 at 1:49 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

Quote: kitty_kadaj
yeah, as far as i know, im the only ziner in my school and it made me feel special to have people ask who the hell davord was (i have a badge with a pic of davord with the words "hail davord" written across).

Where'd you get the badge?
Southern hemispherical rat boy

wombat

| 8,154 posts

9th Jul 2006 at 1:56 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

Y'know, I'd actually buy some sort of megazine memerabelia if it was on sale.

Yes, that did warrent a double post.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

10th Jul 2006 at 8:35 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Quote: wombat
Quote: kitty_kadaj
yeah, as far as i know, im the only ziner in my school and it made me feel special to have people ask who the hell davord was (i have a badge with a pic of davord with the words "hail davord" written across).

Where'd you get the badge?

Maybe she made it.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

EvilTongs

| 2,176 posts

10th Jul 2006 at 9:05 pm

Not here much.

As long as they leave Bamboozle well alone, I'm quite happy to let Zine die whilst it still has a teeny shred of credibility...
Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap the motherf*cker upside the head.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

11th Jul 2006 at 7:48 am

Colin -

Too late, boyo. Ha.

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

12th Jul 2006 at 11:18 am

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

This thread no longer applies, so I'm locking it. People know where to find me if they'd like it unlocked.
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: