Text Mega-zine

Posted In: Mega-Zine Chat. Reading This Thread:

13th Aug 2005 at 10:06 am

In the end, as the Q said in Enterprise, "all good things must come to an end". Lets face it, Zine is all but over. It might carry on but for me it's dead anyway. What it was 6 years ago and what it is now are too different. The greats are all gone and I don't see 'zine ever really having 'Ziners such as JSP etc ever again. With Emma ruling 'Zine is over really. The debates, wars and Zine romances of old are all dust and gone.

Still, I'm gonna stick it out a bit longer. Assuming I can think of anything to say. DGW ain't gonna up and leave just yet
Hideous Defunct Creation

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

13th Aug 2005 at 3:18 pm

John Cage Bubblegum -

I'm not going to retire fully. If 'Zine gets any worse, I'll just stop writing in altogether - I'm hardly a regular contributor as it is, though. I just can't be bothered making a big deal out of it.
Peter Kenyon has a medal

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

13th Aug 2005 at 11:43 pm

Chris Kamara -

without megazine, none of us would be here.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

14th Aug 2005 at 11:34 am

Colin -

Quote: Lilac_Leopard_
There's no point in me retiring. No offence to those who have (I don't even actually know who has because I cannot be arsed to find out), but it's not going to make a blind bit of difference if I announce my retirement and I don't have the perception that anyone thinks enough of my letters to care that I've f*cked off anyway. It's not going to achieve anything, if I want to give up 'Zine, I'll just stop writing. It's a Teletext page people, come on...so long as Andy doesn't make it possible to text VR, that's all I'm bothered about (if he did I'd most probably bankrupt myself...).

I know that publically announcing that we're retiring is quite pompous, especially for myself as I haven't been on 'Zine for a whole year.
But if we just disappear without announcing it, nobody knows that we actively dislike this transformation into Backchat, and our anger goes unnoticed.
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Colin

| 10,038 posts

14th Aug 2005 at 5:06 pm

Colin -

My emotions to today's 'Zine:
Page 1: Nothing strange.
Page 2: Wow, a big letter! Maybe I'll return, maybe it's not that bad and there were only so many texts before because it's new.
Page 3: I wonder if my/Martin's resignment letters shall be shown today?
Page 4: WLW, that's the worst 'pun' ever. Sheep aren't furry anyway. It's like saying "How do you get Sonic The Hedgehog on a bus?" "Pokemon"
Page 5: (Australian accent) WTF, mate! More texts? Please let this be some mistake.
Page 6: Feck. I hope Page 7 is a Teletext Cars advert.
Page 7: 'Zine is gone.

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

14th Aug 2005 at 9:09 pm

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Quote: little_idiot_
without megazine, none of us would be here.

Yeah, which is pretty much why everyone is feeling such bitter sentiments toward it, as it's a U-turn on one of the most core principles of 'Zine doctrine... and I would resign my position as ML mod if it made any difference, because I would rather not be attached to that vessel any more. But I'm not going to give up the modship because... well, it wouldn't make any difference.

Besides, who the hell would want it?
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

14th Aug 2005 at 9:10 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: unperson_

Yeah, which is pretty much why everyone is feeling such bitter sentiments toward it, as it's a U-turn on one of the most core principles of 'Zine doctrine... and I would resign my position as ML mod if it made any difference, because I would rather not be attached to that vessel any more. But I'm not going to give up the modship because... well, it wouldn't make any difference.

Besides, who the hell would want it?

precisely, and that's why doing something such as retiring is, while only small and insignificent, is like the end of a chapter of which i am grateful.

| 2,016 posts

14th Aug 2005 at 9:24 pm

A while back when 'Zines new face was being revealed some letters came in complaining about where the old 'zine went... WLW responded 'how can I make it better if I don't have the tools to work with'.

It is we who can save it, we can retrieve those feelings 'zine once gave years ago just by losing our cynisism and just reawakening our Mega-zine imaginations.

If WLW is flooded with letters of quality maybe the 'Zine flag could fly again and if it doesn't work, at least we tried. How about a Revolution?

God speed!
Triptoheaveandhoupdowntoandfroyouhaveno
wordtriptriptoadreamdragonhideyourwingsina
ghosttowersailscacklingateveryplatewebreak
krackedbyscatteredneedlesthelittleminute
goNg

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

14th Aug 2005 at 9:28 pm

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Hey Patrick, long time now see... or ever see. Have we ever met? No? I digress.

We tried that about three months ago. If failed abysmally. And considering that today had four pages of texts, they're clearly getting enough traffic not to give a damn. So...

I don't know any more.
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

14th Aug 2005 at 9:59 pm

Chris Kamara -

they would never let us put it back to how it was - they are now making money from it. soon enough every page will have 3 or 4 text messages on, and long emails will be a thing of the past, just like snail mail letters were when they put the email address on the front page.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

14th Aug 2005 at 10:24 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

hang on- soon we will be getting people joining on here who just text in as they would to back chat.

How Long before we have a member called "Hot_chick01" anyone?
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Colin

| 10,038 posts

15th Aug 2005 at 6:41 am

Colin -

Oh sheet.
If anyone DOES write in, do NOT mention the revolution.
Within about 6 months we should be able to remove all references to 'Zine from VR.
Or, alternatively, have a test for membership. "Is 'Zine good? a) It used to be. b) Wanna hear my celebrity crush?"

Colin

| 10,038 posts

15th Aug 2005 at 6:43 am

Colin -

Quote: 1929_
A while back when 'Zines new face was being revealed some letters came in complaining about where the old 'zine went... WLW responded 'how can I make it better if I don't have the tools to work with'.

It is we who can save it, we can retrieve those feelings 'zine once gave years ago just by losing our cynisism and just reawakening our Mega-zine imaginations.

If WLW is flooded with letters of quality maybe the 'Zine flag could fly again and if it doesn't work, at least we tried. How about a Revolution?

God speed!

Over two years since you last posted! I remember you on 'Zine. Vaguely (as in, only by name). But back at the time when 'twas good.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

15th Aug 2005 at 12:53 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

15th Aug 2005 at 4:34 pm

Lilac Leopard is right, it is just a page on teletext. Granted none of us may be chatting now if it had never existed, but it is just a shadow of its former self. When I was younger it was everything to me but you know. I've changed alot in the past few years. It's not a sanctuary for the lonely etc anymore. And that's probably the greatest loss.
Hideous Defunct Creation

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

15th Aug 2005 at 4:37 pm

Chris Kamara -

i don't understand though, i appreciate what you're saying, but no one has ever said it is anything other than a page on teletext. that's really aimed at claire more than you, i just forgot she said that until a moment ago.

15th Aug 2005 at 4:41 pm

Lol its' ok.
Hideous Defunct Creation

JM

| 8,289 posts

15th Aug 2005 at 6:15 pm

oh god two full page letters today

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

15th Aug 2005 at 7:25 pm

Chris Kamara -

just that no one has suggested its anything other than a teletext page

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

15th Aug 2005 at 7:45 pm

Chris Kamara -

zine has now become a commercial message board and is unrecognisable from the zine we started out with and as such retirement indicates the end of that chapter in mine and whoever elses life.

Big nose strikes again

| 2,343 posts

15th Aug 2005 at 8:32 pm

I used to know a woman who was on methdone and it is the most gorgeous green colour.
[

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

15th Aug 2005 at 8:44 pm

I wish my eyes were greener. Maybe I'll start taking it.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

16th Aug 2005 at 6:05 am

Colin -

Quote: Lilac_Leopard_
As long as you're on VR and VR is associated with 'Zine, so are you.

Mission:
Destroy all associations with 'Zine.

JM

| 8,289 posts

16th Aug 2005 at 10:29 am

a place for outcasts? Maybe, for you!

16th Aug 2005 at 3:51 pm

For me very much so
Hideous Defunct Creation

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: