Life updates

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

12th Aug 2014 at 1:40 am

Jewbacca -

So many great stories, but my favourite of these has to be him getting stuck in a tree
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

12th Aug 2014 at 10:26 pm

Dissimulation -

Last time I was actively posting here, I was smack bang in the grip of active drug addiction. I was unemployed, living in hostels, had my very own social worker and penchant for consuming unhealthy amounts of Speed and cocaine - the comedowns managed with plenty of pot, diazepam and occasionally, heroin. During this time, my self esteem was pretty much non-existent. However, thanks to James and before him, Fi's yahoo group, I now had a small online oasis in which to take refuge when the realities of meat-life became increasingly overwhelming. James provided me a brief rest-bite from the darkness of every day life, and for that I am eternally thankful.

I look back on my time here and cringe at some of the stuff I posted. I allowed the vitriol and bitterness that consumed me at the time to be taken out, undeservedly, on one or two of this forum's members. I would also constantly duck attending any meets due to the lack of self-esteem and confidence, which I have regretted as this forum was, and still is populated by a lot of seemingly decent and interesting people.
On a positive note, some of the funniest and enlightening conversations I have ever had, have been with members of this forum. This place had me crying with laughter on several occasions.

In 2007 my lungs collapsed after being up on a 5 day amphetamine binge and that's the day I decided to admit to myself that I am powerless over my addiction and change my life. I started running everywhere, got super fit and applied to join the forces as an AET. Sadly, at the 11th hour, I failed the medical due to a random GP deciding my history of depression, and previous suicide attempts (despite being 3 years free of treatment), was enough to stop him signing off on the paperwork.

With that out the window, I then started voluntary work for South Somerset Mind and began facilitating a peer support group. I trained as a football coach and then ran a football group under Mind's umbrella, but also open to all the other services in the area, including rethink, turning point, probation, the local CMHT and psychiatric unit. This grew quicker than expected and eventually we entered into the disability league, where we were competing against the disability branches of professional football clubs, such as Bristol city, Exeter, Swindon Town etc.. Some of the players in the league went on to represent Britain in last year's Paralympics.

In 2012 I applied for a proper support worker role down in Poole. I got the job, initially working with high risk offenders - murders, sex offenders etc.. on license from prison. This would mostly be MAPPA 1 offenders, but have worked with MAPPA 3 clients as well, which was as worrying at times as it was interesting.

After a few months I moved to a high support mental health unit, working with services users with complex needs. Most of our clients in this hostel are dual diagnosis. I am actually sat here tonight on a sleepover as I type this.

In the day I now work and live in Bournemouth, as I was moved to these projects specifically to work as part of Bournemouth Council's new homeless strategy. My job is essentially first stage assessment phase, where our residents are straight off the streets and need stabilising and assessing ready to 'hopefully' move on into second phase. There is still some dual diagnosis, but the support needs are predominantly around drink and drug misuse and maintaining a tenancy. With the female services users, a lot of them are active working girls and there is a lot of close work done with safeguarding, social services.

I have recently head hunted by the team leader of the AOT, which would mean working directly for the NHS, but as I have never learnt to drive, this would not be possible without a car.

So this is me, living in Bournemouth having escaped Yeovil. Still going to gigs, last one being Faith no more, Motorhead, Soundgarden and Sabbath at Hyde Park.

Again, it's devastating the circumstances that brought me back here. I wish I didn't duck those meets and took the chance to actually meet James face to face to thank him for creating this small slice of mental stability.. and just for all the laughter and moments this site has brought us over the years. Every time I spoke to James online he was helpful, selfless and funny. His genius as a coder, both baffled and inspired me in equal measure. In my work, I'm surrounded by death, I have lost lots of residents I have worked with over the years, finding a few ODs etc.. and have become quite immune to death. But this one hurt, and as I have never met the guy, says a great deal about the impact he made on all our lives. I hope he is at peace and can find happiness in whatever form that takes on the next leg of this spiritual journey. RIP James. You will be missed.

Edited by Dissimulation Aug 2014

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

13th Aug 2014 at 4:07 pm

Another one who would have prefered to come back under happier circumstances...

I'm back in my hometown, working for the Post Office, bringing up a now almost 10 year old Abbie. Life is quiet and alright, which after some uncertainties in the past, is just about all I can ask for.

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

13th Aug 2014 at 5:15 pm

Quote: Cooder, Aug 2014
I spose I better put a real update eh?

Erm where was I...

2010 got made redundant and ended up working for the worst boss in the world, more worried about counting mice and keyboards than addressing any underlying issues with a crumbling IT Infrastructure.

Stuck it out after clearing me debts with redundancy and *cough* contracting money. Turned 30 in 2011, come back from me holibobs to a message from a girl I'd been dancing with at a mates wedding (but didn't shag, as on the way back to her hotel, I needed a massive sh*t and had to run to Loco's on Whitworth Street in Mcr...).

Anyway, she was in Manchester visiting our mutual mate so we met up, one thing led to another and we started seeing each other, albeit long distance. I jacked in my job and moved to another business at the a*se end of 2011 and am currently managing a team of IT Support nerds doing what I do best; Avoiding work.

Moving on The Mrs eventually jacked in her job in 2012 to move in with me, fast forward to 2014 and I successfully fertilised her eggs to impregnate her with our first child, which is due in December.

Fair to say I'm happy as larry, or I was until I heard about Andy.

Good luck with the littl'un. They're pretty darn amazing.

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

13th Aug 2014 at 6:24 pm

Quote: Tiggs, Aug 2014
Quote: Lianne, Aug 2014
Another one who would have prefered to come back under happier circumstances...

I'm back in my hometown, working for the Post Office, bringing up a now almost 10 year old Abbie. Life is quiet and alright, which after some uncertainties in the past, is just about all I can ask for.

I'm still in shock the Abster is nearly 10! I remember when she was a toddler D:

It blindsides me occasionally too. It doesn't feel like 10 years (until those times it feels like it's been 50 years....) She takes great joy in telling me she'll be a teenager in 3 and a bit years.

Caged Liberty

| 11,209 posts

13th Aug 2014 at 11:05 pm

Caged Liberty - Torrential high seas dragged me to my knees

Torrential high seas dragged me to my knees

Hello,

absolutely bizarre to be back on this account. Don't think I'll be rereading old posts. Think I had a sock puppet account on a newer email address but couldn't get that to work, regardless, thanks to Claire for sorting my password out.

Sad that this is the occasion to be back, as I'm sure we're all feeling. It has been nice to see people come back together, though and I hope you're all doing well.

My update:

Finished uni, with a degree in literature, which was always my dream. Started a masters some years ago but because of depression and anxiety took some time out and am still very slowly finishing my dissertation. Hopefully I'll have it handed in by Christmas, but I've said that before.

Work wise, I landed a paid internship as an assistant to an author who writes crime fiction set in the 1950s, amongst other things. Since the internship ended I've been kept on part time, which is great. It's my first career type job which has been both stressful and exciting, and the experience has been great. Once I finish my Masters I might find something else part time that is complimentary to my hours there, or find a full time job.

I also work as a model. Started off when I wasn't able to hold down a job or even get out much, and it was really good for that - building up commitments in my diary and so on. It was mostly for fun and for that purpose, but now I'm feeling better and working again, I've kept it up and do make a tiny bit of money from it. Mostly extra work, vintage stuff for independent boutiques, and a bit of burlesque and live modelling from time to time.

Health, feeling much more level and probably at my best for years and years - which is not to say I don't have bad days. I'm able to keep busy though, which I think is good for me.

I got married, am living in Edinburgh but miss Glasgow, and have three cats with five eyes between them.

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

14th Aug 2014 at 6:59 pm

Is the avatar upload thing broken?

I should post something here shouldn't I?

The last few years haven't been particularly interesting, up until recently when it's like someone hit a reset button on my life.

I was married, I have two kids, I was working at the local theme park where I did a lot of stuff but most recently was the IT manager. Last year I started seriously thinking about my gender identity, and it turns out I'm non-binary/genderfluid, so that's nice.

In December the marriage ended, the cycle of arguing and making up, with the arguments getting worse and the making up getting less sincere just took its toll. In February the park made me redundant. So after almost a decade of things being pretty run-of-the-mill there's been a lot of changes in a very short time.

Anyway, I'm now in a polyamorous relationship with a wonderful woman who I've known for nearly 10 years, and I'm looking for a new job. The theme park industry is all I really know and it's pretty niche, but hopefully I'll get something soon.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

15th Aug 2014 at 2:43 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Andrew, Aug 2014
Hello all. This is Jenny typing under Andrews account because I can't remember my own.

http://vegetablerevolution.co.uk/user/ginny3000 (Though you'd need someone mod-lier than me if you need password/email address changed or owt)
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

18th Aug 2014 at 8:24 am

TinyShine -

Quote: Emma the 37th, Dec 2012
What are we all doing now? Are you married? Are you with child? Are you Sammy Tsang? Do you cry yourself to sleep every night because VR is not as populated any more?

Wow, it's been a long time... 4 years since I logged in apparently.

Really just popping in to say how sorry I am to hear about James. Although I didn't know him personally, he created a community here that has helped a lot of us through those awkward teens and early twenties. Although it has been ages since I used to frequent here, I'm grateful for the hard work he put in to maintaining the site and most of all, grateful to the site for introducing me to my husband of 6 years :-)

Life is good. I am a much happier, more confident person than the girl who used to post here...I've just looked at some of my old posts and I was timid and sensitive I live in England with husband plus cat. I have settled here now and have made friends...I can't see myself moving back to Ireland.

I'm still a self employed speech therapist, mainly working in schools.

I don't write anymore. I am not really very creative anymore! Although I do occasionally play guitar and sing folk music in local cafés, pubs, etc.

I hope everyone is well. I have good memories of this site and its members :-)

Sarah xx

Captain Spiky

| 9,183 posts

20th Mar 2020 at 9:29 pm

Captain Spiky - Cockwomble

Cockwomble

So I missed this thread the first time around, but it seems like a good idea so I'll jump in. Although I suspect my attempt to summarise 15 years will only highlight to me how I've not done/achieved anything of any consequence at all.

Erm... Work-wise the main ones have been running a charity shop for 4 years, then Team Leadering in a contact centre for the Youth Hostel Association for 4 years. I'm currently working for the Department of Work and Pensions, and I've been there 1.5 years so I have 2.5 years left if I'm to maintain my cycle. Each day I get to genuinely help people, which is great, and get general verbal abuse from people I'm unable to help, which is less great.

Relationship wise, I'm not married and I have no children, nor do I intend to alter either of those two things at any point. Instead I've been with the same person for nearly 8 years, and I've spent almost all of that time wondering whether I should be. But I have no complaints: we have a lovely home and plenty of laughs and Netflix and suchlike.

Other-things wise... What else is there? I have no real hobbies, other than keeping a diary every day for the last 25 years (for no particular purpose). I read and play Candy Crush Saga, and thus the hours slide by.

Lots of people on here have been through major challenges, and I'm happy to say my life has been all fluffy and nice the whole way through. And yes, I do feel very lucky. And I've said it many many times but VR meant the world to me back in the day. I'm not in touch with anyone I went to school with, or went to uni with, or many people I've worked with... For whatever reason I'm the kind of person folks drift away from. So I'm genuinely very happy that I made some lifelong friendships through this site, and I've spent some of my happiest hours in the company of you folk.
Now that we're here we may as well go too far.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: