Orbital

Posted In: Music. Reading This Thread:

Topper

| 6,773 posts

22nd Apr 2004 at 1:11 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Orbital, one of my fave acts, and quality producers of some of the best electronic music this side of Kraftwerk have announced their upcoming (June released) Blue Album, will be their last. Goodbye. I will miss your bald heads and odd soundscapes.
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Topper

| 6,773 posts

22nd Apr 2004 at 1:33 pm

They were resonsible for some great tracks. As well as the more noticable 'Doctor Who theme' remix, they also released some great albums, such as the 'Brown Album', 'Middle Of Nowhere' and 'The Green Album' (yes, they do have a problem with names ). Stand out personal favourite tracks include 'Satan', 'Nothing Left', 'Belfast', 'Chime' and 'Meltdown'

Edited by Topper Apr 2004
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

Wibble

| 5,323 posts

23rd Apr 2004 at 1:56 am

scapegoat extraordinaire

I've heard of them, I think I've heard stuff by them. You *points* promised to teach me of their musical ways, oh electronica guru

Topper

| 6,773 posts

23rd Apr 2004 at 7:57 am

I will do indeed, only I thought your Windows Media Player was still playing up. Give me a nod when you're ready.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

23rd Apr 2004 at 9:24 am

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

They did some music on the soundtrack to Wipeout on the Playstation... - they were good...

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

23rd Apr 2004 at 9:56 am

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

I saw this post and thought of chewing gum...
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

Mr_Self_Destruct

| 73 posts

23rd Apr 2004 at 12:26 pm

Trippy Mushrooms

RIP.

They combined great dance music,odd samples and a genuine social intelligence(check out Forever).
As for the green LP,I always thought it was more of a yellow colour.
Stand out tracks:Shadows,Impact,Belfast,Nothing Left.
They will be missed.
this is the dark age of love

pain like a drain on my sense of wonder,makes you wonder,how many butterflies have died in growing old and trying to please the ones they least admire?

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

23rd Apr 2004 at 4:28 pm

Aren't they playing at Glasto? Or is that just me?

Teletext confuses me.
"Sometimes people don't build walls to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to tear them down."
Thom is happy

Topper

| 6,773 posts

24th Apr 2004 at 8:50 am

I'm unsure, I never can remember who's playing at ther various festivals. Anyone know?

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

24th Apr 2004 at 2:45 pm

Yeah, I've just checked- they are.
"Sometimes people don't build walls to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to tear them down."
Thom is happy

Wibble

| 5,323 posts

25th Apr 2004 at 2:42 am

scapegoat extraordinaire

Quote: Topper_
I will do indeed, only I thought your Windows Media Player was still playing up. Give me a nod when you're ready.

*nods*

Oh no, I can receive stuff, I just can't send it until I install various evil bits and bobs, though there's no point doing it on this pc as I'm promised I'm getting a new one all to myself soonish. so yup, maybe waiting a bit would be better.

*takes back nod* Or something. Gah, I don't know.

Mr_Self_Destruct

| 73 posts

26th Apr 2004 at 7:25 am

Trippy Mushrooms

Glastonbury and a gig at Brixton Academy(I tkink)will be their final two shows.I'll miss those crazy lights they wore when they played live.

pain like a drain on my sense of wonder,makes you wonder,how many butterflies have died in growing old and trying to please the ones they least admire?

Topper

| 6,773 posts

26th Apr 2004 at 8:14 am

I know, the lights were cool. That's now Leftfield AND Orbital now... What next? The Chemical Brothers? The Prodigy? Please God no.

Mr_Self_Destruct

| 73 posts

26th Apr 2004 at 9:50 am

Trippy Mushrooms

Never that big a fan of the Chemical Brothers,myself.Leftfield and the Prodigy however,are pure genius.
I'd also suggest Meat Beat Manifesto,Spacetime Continuum and Tekton for great non-townie dance music,although Tekton have a racing car-fixation and put car samples in every song.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

7th May 2004 at 12:42 pm

If you want something really chalenging though, try any of the artists at Warp Records...Aphex, Squarepusher, Plaid, Autechre etc.

Mr_Self_Destruct

| 73 posts

7th May 2004 at 1:11 pm

Trippy Mushrooms

I'd also suggest Venetian Snares and Acid Mothers Temple then.Or,for something really extreme,go with Merzbow.
It's like a drill to your skull.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

7th May 2004 at 1:15 pm

hmmm, interesting, some of Aphex's tracks sound like that. Ta for the suggestions.

I also suggest....Tipper, FreQ.Nasty, B.L.I.M, S.I Futures and Freeland.

Mr_Self_Destruct

| 73 posts

10th May 2004 at 8:32 am

Trippy Mushrooms

Thanks.
Be warned though,Merzbow's stuff is far more extreme then any of Aphex's.Maybe not better,but more extreme.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

10th May 2004 at 9:40 am

I like extreme. Extreme is good. Thanks for the tips though anywho.

Teminalhead, Mouse on Mars, Dark Globe and Koma and Bones are also good.

Mr_Self_Destruct

| 73 posts

10th May 2004 at 9:49 am

Trippy Mushrooms

Nice one.I'll check them out next time I'm in my local independent store.There's just far too many CD's to buy and not nearly enough money.

Topper

| 6,773 posts

10th May 2004 at 9:53 am

I know what you mean, lousy lack of finance...

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page