Notebook Letters 11

Posted In: Mega-Zine Chat. Reading This Thread:

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

21st Jan 2013 at 11:45 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Is this allowed?

Just seen Vigilante Maelstrom writing letters to The Void...
That smacks of treason.
WLW, you should put your hoof down and stop this.
I know where my loyalties lie.

daddypoos, Wigan

Hang, draw and quarter! Too harsh?

Zine; 16th of June, 2008; 4/5.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jan 2013 at 10:12 am

River Phoenix

Blue bloods on the silver screen

Brideshead Revisited revolves around the dysfunctional, volatile Marchmain family, and blue bloods in films usually get a raw deal, writes Victor Olliver.

Just think: Christopher Lee's dracula, lord henry wotton in The Picture of Dorian Gray, Sir Henry of The Hounds of The Baskervilles, lady chatterley.

Here are a few of the film titled who put depressed into, er, Debrett's.

1/6.

count dracula: The most accursed of all blue bloods. He feeds on red bloods, if not repelled by garlic, wooden stakes or crucifixes. He lives in a decaying castle in the Carpsthian mountains. Coppola's dracula ('92), starring Gary Oldman, captures the gothic myth well.

lady chatterley lady connie's hubby is impotent due to a war injury. She finds passion with the gardener. Pascale Ferran's lady chatterley ('06) captures well the dillemas when the baby is due.

2/6.

king george iii: Nicholas Hytner's The Madness of king george (1994) is a highly entertaining chronicle of the king's decent into a mysterious temporary insanity. his majesty's stools are examined for the cause but it's Ian Holm's Dr Willis who fathoms discipline as a likely cure.

lady barbara skelton: She was so bored she took up highway robbery and was shot dead. Margaret Lockwood played her well in the wicked lady (1945).

3/6.

the romanovs: the last czar of Russia, nicholas ii, is portrayed as a twit and has to abdicate prior to the evacuation of him and his family to the bolshies. nicholas and alexandra (1971) is a chocolate guide to one family v millions of revolting proles.

lord henry wotton: In The Picture of Dorian Gray (1`945), George Sanders is a wicked "harry" tempting pretty boy Gray into all sorts of fancies. Colin Firth plays wotton in new film Dorian Gray.

4/6.

edward ii: Just don't mention the red hot poker. Anyhow, Derek Jarman's edward ii ('91) is a crazed monarch who forfeits crown and country for his love of piers galveston. A horrible... end.

duke of devonshire: He is the cold adulterer husband in the duchess (2008), played by Ralph Fiennes. When his wife cannot bear him a son, he installs his mistress in the marital home. Then he r*pes his wife and she delivers a son. Not the friendly sort.

5/6.

Teletext page 819; 3rd of October, 2008.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jan 2013 at 10:15 am

River Phoenix

Cedric likes the madness

Cedric is having more fun sinking ships and occasionally doing Gilbert & Sullivan operas, so the usual madness. Still, it appears that Cedric is a misspelling of the name Cerdic so he's wanting a new name, one which is cooler. I persuaded him that neither Jeremy and Gaylord are cool.

Princess psycho

There is only room for one Gaylord at WLW Towers, and that position is taken.

Zine; 16th of June, 2008; 5/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jan 2013 at 10:34 am

River Phoenix

by John Earls Quotations of The Week

"boris johnson is an absolute f***ing chopper. He's just so removed." Mike Skinner is no fan of London's mayor.

"I'm a 300lb hairy, bald man, I scream and we're called F***ed Up. Mass appeal is something we've never aimed for." Father Damien, shocked at his success.

"I'm sober as a judge. Those quotes were taken from an 18-month-old interview." Gary Lightbody rubbishes a sun story implying he's an alcoholic.

1/6.

The week ahead in TV

Oasis do ross (BBC1, Fri, 10.35pm). John Legend is on Murray (ITV1, 10pm).

Jack White & Alicia Keys' Bond theme video premieres on C4 (Fri, 11pm).

Sugababes are on Sound (BBC2, Sat, 12pm). Martha Wainwright, Brian Wilson and Teddy Thompson do Live From Abbey Road (C4, Sun, 12.10am). The Story of The Guitar (BBC1, Sun, 10.20 pm) starts with Pete Townshend, coldplay, Sia and Glen Campbell do Later (BBC2, Tue, 10).

2/6.

The week ahead in radio

Kings of Leon are on Colin Murray (Radio 1, Mon- Thu, 10 pm). Huw Stephens has a tribute to john peel (Wed, 10 pm).

Popular Workshop are on Steve Lamacq (Mon, 9 pm).

Keane are on jonathan ross (R2, Sat, 10 am), followed by Sugababes and Sam Roberts on Dermot O'Leary (2.30 pm). Teddy Thompson is on Radcliffe & Maconie (Mon- Thu, 8 pm). Mick Jones is on Janice Long (Tue- Fri, 12 am).

3/6.

The week ahead in gigs

Oasis stary an arena tour on Tuesday, while Albert Hammond Jr plays a one-off London gig on Sunday.

Dirty Pretty Things start their farewell tour on Friday, the same day Detroit Social Club get under-way.

The Charlatans kick off on Sunday, the same day as CSS, while The Courteeners start on Friday. Tours already under way include Ladyhawke, Amanda Palmer, The Streets and OMD.

4/6.

Champs of the week

Ray Davies For acting with dignity during a car-crash interview by george lamb, permanent resider in Chumps corner, on 6 Music.

Supposedly a difficult man himself, Davies, after being asked questions like "What's your favourite vowel?" and "Are you bald?" said it was a bad line and, off air, refused to carry on. Good on him. lamb then wished, on air, "a slow and painful death" on Davies. Ofcom: your time has arrived...

5/6.

Chumps of the week

Dirty Pretty Things D*mn them for fading out quietly, rather than lookin at the faults of album two and working out why it had nothing as good as Bang Bang You're Dead on it. Still, Anthiny Rossomando is one of the soundest people and there is and deserves success.

The Hold Steady They're more champs generally and get well soon to guitarist Ted Kuhler. But his illness caused them to cancel a tour and we're sulking at missing the gigs.

6/6.

Teletext page 826; 3rd of October, 2008.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jan 2013 at 12:30 pm

River Phoenix

Vacuum

Vigilante Maelstrom I just walked into a vacuum cleaner. That sucked.

Don't they all?

Matth Stil Ah, Philosophy Corner. *Hand-on-chest, looks skyward* It's only the truth if you want to believe it.

... or read it on Zine.

Zine; 17th of June, 2008; 1/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jan 2013 at 12:33 pm

River Phoenix

I'm impressed by Spiralling by Keane. Under The Iron Sea won me over because of its inventive dark side, but Spiralling is something else. It sounds like The killers at their best. Everything on Hopes And Fears pales in comparison. John Ox

It's a shame Dirty Pretty Things have split. While they didn't reach The Libertines' heights, they were still a decent band. Hackney Rob

The Void; Teletext page 827; 4th of October, 2008; 1/7.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jan 2013 at 12:36 pm

River Phoenix

Write on

daddypoos, that contract WLW made you sign isn't admissable in a court of law. Trust me, you can write to who you want. Honest! If you are having problems with this issue, call the Ziners Anonymous helpline. They helped me *sniff,* they can help you.

mondo ray

There's a name for people who write to just anyone, mondo. I wish I knew what it was.

Zine; 17th of June, 2008; 2/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jan 2013 at 6:25 pm

River Phoenix

Never mind Outhere Brothers beating Common People to No 1, as Goranoia mentioned, the biggest chart-topping travesty in my lifetime was Return of The Mack by Mark Morrison beating A Design For Life. I include Shaddap You Face beating Vienna in that. BlackDove

Bradders is spot-on about Sound Affects. It spends to much time in Setting Sons' and All Mod Cons' shadows. It's the definitive Jam, and Corner Shop is Weller's finest LP track. Woody

The Void; Teletext page 827; 4th of October, 2008; 2/7.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jan 2013 at 6:28 pm

River Phoenix

Status report

Princess psycho's place is far better than the Towers. Not only does she bake amazing blueberry muffins with a hint of mint but she has procured something called Choco Pies. I am off to sink some oil tankers to burn off the calories. Now, what about Hannibal The Sea Monster?

Catch you later.

Cedric The Sea Monster

Davord said if you're not back by tea, he's changing the locks.

Zine; 17th of June, 2008; 3/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jan 2013 at 7:59 pm

River Phoenix

Pink doesn't get enough credit from serious music fans. She's a born performer, as her often funny videos show, and has a good voice. She hasn't produced an album anywhere near as good as Oasis's first two, but I like So What more than The Shock of The Lightning. Shane Damien

Maybe society does need a new punk. Then, in 30 years' time, your children can laugh as a main protagonist advertises butter on TV. Steve Oldhippy

The Void; Teletext page 827; 4th of October, 2008; 3/7.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jan 2013 at 8:00 pm

River Phoenix

Stick it

She said "You can stick it where the sun doesn't shine!" So we put it in the cupboard under the stairs and said no more about it.

Frumpy Squirrel

Until now.

Zine; 17th of June, 2008; 4/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jan 2013 at 9:43 pm

River Phoenix

"What do you want for tea? I want crisps!" Welcome back, Kaiser Chiefs, masters of inanity. From the fools who gave us "Ruby, Ruby, Ruby. Do you, do you, do you?" comes Never Miss A Beat: another smug, juvenile, irritating piece of repetition. "What did you learn at school? I learned nothing!" Well, obviously. Ramsay

Surely engelbert humperdinck beating penny Lane to No 1 is a bigger travesty than Common People losing? Jo Walsh

The Void; Teletext page 827; 4th of October, 2008; 4/7.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jan 2013 at 9:45 pm

River Phoenix

Bert the table

I've got my table, Bert. It's round, black and made of plastic. If I knock it over, it goes "thud". So I can see it, taste it, feel it, hear it and smell it. What puzzles me is why it continues to sit upside down on the sofa.

Mackie O'Velly

Does it have a leg to stand on?

Zine; 17th of June, 2008; 5/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

23rd Jan 2013 at 10:03 am

River Phoenix

Dig Out Your Soul is the third Oasis album we expected 10 years ago. I'd give seven songs a 10/10 rating, three of them 9/10 and a 7/10 score to Ain't Got Nothin'. Four superb rockers open the album, then Liam Gallagher's awesome Lennon-inspired I'm Outta Time, which will make Beatles fans shed a tear or two.

Even Andy Bell and Gem Archer are writing songs now. It's the album of the century so far. Derek Power

The Void; Teletext page 827; 4th of October, 2008; 5/7.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

23rd Jan 2013 at 10:04 am

River Phoenix

WLW is not well

Sorry, folks. WLW phoned in sick today so there'll be no update. (How do you press telephone keypad numbers with hooves?) Hopefully, the long-necked one will be OK tomorrow.

Zine; 18th of June, 2008.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

23rd Jan 2013 at 10:36 am

River Phoenix

Back from outer space

Sorry to hear WLW has been poorly. I trust it was not a sore throat? Simeon (patron saint of the tall) might be worth a quick prayer. I'll try it on your behalf.

Friend of The 18th Century

The prayers of millions have been answered... The giraffe cometh.

Zine; 19th of June, 2008; 1/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

23rd Jan 2013 at 10:39 am

River Phoenix

Who cares about the mastering of the new Metallica album? It's unbelievable that this dated guff is selling by the bucketload. Metallica are a spent force. Even their recent performance on Later was laughable. Toasters Galore

I agree with Earls's review of the new Oasis album, that Liam's vocals are more mature but better. It's the same with his interviews, where he's still entertaining, but not like John Lydon, who can't grow up. Taz

The Void; Teletext page 827; 4th of October, 2008; 6/7.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

23rd Jan 2013 at 9:07 pm

River Phoenix

Order

"Order! Order!" cried mr speaker. "Let the rt hon gentleman be heard," he said. "Mine's a pint of bitter and some pork scratchings," I bellowed. Didn't go down well, that one, during the debate on 42 days' detention. Still, I was sat there all afternoon and had missed my lunch. Tsch, and to think they expect me to know what the speaker is talking about when he makes such remarks.

Junior Minister

Is it true you can claim £200 worth of scratchings without producing receipts?

Zine; 19th of June, 2008; 2/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

23rd Jan 2013 at 9:24 pm

River Phoenix

Soundbite: A Smaller Planet Sound

There's no easy way to say this: Planet Sound is about to get smaller from November 3.

We could try conning you and saying it will be a more efficient, streamlined magazine. The truth is, cost-cutting has hit Planet Sound like virtually everywhere.

So, some much-loved aspects of Planet will either vanish or shrink in size. But it's vital to say that a core of Planet Sound will remain.

1/6.

To summarise the changes:

The two news sections will be reduced to one, of seven pages per day. Single reviews on Launchpad go from twice weekly to once-a-week. There will be one feature interview section, not two.

Album/ gig reviews will be eight pages, updated twice a week rather than daily. The demo reviews go and we are no longer running the charts, except for chart stories on Planet Sound News.

2/6.

We're proud of being as comprehensible as possible for reviews. We know that many of you will have come across cats who had their first review on Planet Sound.

We think it's important to review Keyboard Choir next to Keane. By definition, we can't be so thorough. Nor will we able to cover metal as well as we'd started doing.

But, in 16 weekly reviews, we'll cover as broad a range of acts as possible.

3/6.

What needs to be emphasised is that, if a new band of whatever status is worth covering, we will do so.

That goes for both album/ single/ gig reviews, or interview coverage.

Bands like Kaiser Chiefs and Arctic Monkeys had coverage very early on from Planet Sound, and have repaid us by continuing to give us stories and interviews. On a practical basis, we'd be foolish to stop that approach now.

4/6.

Of course, the loss of a demos page is sad after we've seen Maximo Park, Hope of The States, Calvin Harris and The Twilight Sad flourish after reviews.

But if you want to send me demos, I'll continue to try to get through them, review the exceptional ones and pass on other good ones to industry contacts.

Right now, we're trying to get The Incredible Flight of Birdman industry help. That advice need not end.

5/6.

If you're wondering why reviews will be updating less frequently, well, after nine years on Planet Sound, I'm going freelance.

I'll still be editing. And if I didn't think we'd still be better, more varied than other music magazines, I'd quit.

Planet Sound will carry on championing a broad scope of artists. We'll continue to break news stories. We'll still have fascinating interviews. And you can still argue about it all on The Void.

6/6.

Teletext page 825; 15th of October, 2008.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

23rd Jan 2013 at 9:41 pm

River Phoenix

Sick note

So, even giraffes can phone in a sickie. You should have stand-by giraffes on these occasions. I'm not paying rent for a giraffe to take time off. Anyway, the get well soon card is in the post. With the linctus. And the cough drops. And the big wool neck wrap. And a bill for £350 (expenses).

daddypoos, Wigan

You think a stand-in could think up a witty retort like this? Don't answer that.

Zine; 19th of June, 2008; 3/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

23rd Jan 2013 at 10:22 pm

River Phoenix

Robin Guthrie/ 3: 19 Reviews by John Earls

The soundtrack to a Spanish film named after a Bible passage, don't assume that Guthrie is settling for obscure esoterica in his old age.

Working superbly as a piece in its own right, it's as evocative as any of his work, by turns subtly sinister and full of awe-struck majesterial beauty.

If it's hard to imagine him scoring Die Hard 5, its gorgeous tunes deserve to met Guthrie a host more film work. 8/10

1/6.

Kaiser Chiefs/ Off With Their Heads

Three albums in, and their love of a good chorus is still intact.

Any thoughts that Mark Ronson was going to make them go dance haven't happened. Instead, pre-album talk that they were having fun again after the lyrically dour Angry Mob have happily come true.

Virtually any of the 11 songs will fit into their already triumphant gigs, from the opening Spanish Metal (richard iii by Supergrass in a strop) onwards.

2/6.

Already a well-established live anthem, You Want History sets the tone for their most funk-driven songs.

These still have the pop templates at heart, but are done with one eye on the indie-disco dancefloor, notably the Adam Ant tribal drums of Always Happens Like That and the insistent Good Days.

It doesn't all work. Sway's rap stymies Half The Truth, a good MC unable to fit with the rock around it.

3/6.

Nor is Addicted To Drugs much more than a throwaway pun, more like a B-Side.

But those misfires shouldn't detract from a band who don't care for critics, as they're having too much of a good time to worry about anything other than "Does it rock? Yes? Hurrah, move on!"

Nick Hodgson is fast becoming a lovely balladeer, see A Girl, and the deeply odd waltz of Tomato shows they're always pop, never predictable.

4/6.

Sugababes/ Catfights And Spotlights 6/10

Mainly working with new producers has mixed success for the girlband who are startlingly, now on their sixth album.

On his tracks, Klas Ahland makes them as futurepop as his other famous production client Robyn, but it's the wonderful Blaxploitation funk of No Can Do that's the unexpected highlight.

Too many ballads, Every Heart Broken is the only belter, but just enough singles here not to disrupt momentum.

5/6.

Bonnie Prince Billy/ Is It The Sea?

After a series of below-par studio albums, Will Oldham regains some momentum with a live album made with Scottish folk band Harem Scarem.

By comparison to the whispered self-parody of late, Oldham's voice is in full throttle, more impassioned than the detached, sardonic lyrics reply.

With superb percussion by Alex Neilson, it reminds you of why Oldham's early albums were so impressive. 7/10

6/6.

Teletext page 824; 15th of October, 2008.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 10:01 am

River Phoenix

You know

You know you've been playing too much Metal Gear Solid when:

1. Your girlfriend dumps you for that very reason.

Ah, I'm only messing. It was because I wore her knickers and stretched them.

Paddy Irishman

Wearing them? Fine. Stretching them? Unforgivable.

Zine; 19th of June, 2008; 4/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 10:03 am

River Phoenix

Elephant Man's saddest

Saddest films for me as an adult are still The Elephant Man and Shadowlands. They're well acted. I defy you not to be moved. My biggest weepie used to be ET but I grew out of that one! Michael, Belfast

Vortex: AI still causes us to well.

Vortex; Teletext page 817; 15th of October, 2008; 1/6.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 10:33 am

River Phoenix

I'm justin lee collins

I have to talk louder than the average person as that's the only way people will pay any attention to me. I claimed to have reunited the A-Team but actually failed. Mr T didn't turn up and the guy who played Hannibal died in 1994, so I failed before I started. I should've had the reunion around his grave, as that's as close as anybody's going to get to meeting him again.

YeahYeahYeah, AKA justin lee collins

Bad times...

Zine; 19th of June, 2008; 5/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 10:36 am

River Phoenix

Mirror Mirror

One of the most memorable films I have ever seen involving a mirror, is a relatively obscure late-'80s horror film with a similar theme to new release, Mirrors, called Mirror Mirror.

It tells the story of a goth teenage girl. On arriving at her new house, she finds a similar-looking full-length mirror in her bedroom, which instantly captivates her. Little does she realise, though, it is inhabited by a demon. Paul, Bolton

Vortex; Teletext page 817; 15th of October, 2008; 2/6.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 10:47 am

River Phoenix

Word up

Frumpy Squirrel What's another word for thesaurus?

Why don't you get one and look it up?

Vigilante Maelstrom I used to be disgusted by stereotypes but now I've learnt to embrace them. They don't react well to it, though.

Quite the stereotypical reaction.

Zine; 20th of June, 2008; 1/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 12:10 pm

River Phoenix

dracula inexact

A remake of dracula would be fine and dandy if just one film-maket stuck to the book. The nearest is the BBC's excellent version starring Louis Jourdan and Frank Finlay (1977), but even that left out important people.

The book is a terrific adventure, but it it is constantly undermined with unnecessary romantic overtones when made into a film. I did enjoy Coppola's Bram Stoker's dracula as a good bit of film-making. Rosie Gilbert, Hants

Vortex; Teletext page 817; 15th of October, 2008; 3/6.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 12:14 pm

River Phoenix

Caps uprising

IF I WRITE THIS MESSAGE IN CAPITALS, PERHAPS YOU'LL NOTICE. PUT MY MESSAGE UP, WLW, or I'll be getting in touch with the ZIGHs (Zine Island Giraffe Hunters) UNITE! IT'S TIME TO OVERTHROW THE MONARCHY! Again.

oliver cromwell

Did somebody say something?

Zine; 20th of June, 2008; 2/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 12:34 pm

River Phoenix

Bizarre audiences

Re: John Paul's letter about audience reaction. Has anyone witnessed bizarre audience behaviour to a film? The most extreme example was when I went to watch Rollerball in 1975. At the end of the film, the crowd on screen were shouting Jonathan, Jonathan.

I looked around the cinema because the seats were shaking and the audience were standing on the seats, shouting Jonathan, Jonathan.

I looked around the cinema because the seats were shaking and the audience were punching the air like at a football match. Dave, Lancs

Vortex; Teletext page 817; 15th of October, 2008; 4/6.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 12:48 pm

River Phoenix

When Kimchi hits the fan

I got rid of that moocher Cedric. He just ate and ate, until he had the Kimchi. Not every day you see a sea monster with flames coming from his mouth flying through the air. He should be home now, he'll be hiding under the sink. That saves me using the glass and bleach.

Princess psycho

And there he stays. His old room is now home to my collection of Hollyoaks memorabilia.

Zine; 20th of June, 2008; 3/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 12:51 pm

River Phoenix

Disappointing DVDs

I just picked up the new Friday The 13th: From Crystal Lake To Manhattan boxset and was wondering why some of the discs claim to feature audio commentaries when they don't? It's also disappointing that this R2 version doesn't feature the bonus disc from the R1 set from a few years ago. Damien, Birmingham

Vortex: Interesting point. Have other viewers noticed that some DVDs are over-sold like this?

Vortex; Teletext page 817; 15th of October, 2008; 5/6.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 1:01 pm

River Phoenix

Reflections on Liotta

Another good mirror scene: Ray Liotta in Copeland when trying to escape to a new life. Then his conscience gets the better of him and he tells himself to shut up and he turns the car around to help Stallone's character. Paul, leeds

Can you tell me if lady caroline lamb is available? Now there's a weepie. David Knight, Glasgow

Vortex: Only second-handers. Check Amazon.co.uk for details.

Vortex; Teletext page 817; 15th of October, 2008; 6/6.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 1:06 pm

River Phoenix

Peanuts: The Later Years

Charlie Brown: Woh-woh woh woh-woh.
Linus: Woh-woh woh-woh woh woh.
Schroeder: Woh woh-woh-woh.
Lucy: WOW WOH WOH-WOH WOH WOH WOH WOH-WOH.
Sally: I'm glad I'm not an adult yet.

rose Timp

Is it true Snoop got some stray knocked up?

Zine; 20th of June, 2008; 4/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 1:52 pm

River Phoenix

Oscars got it right

Kate and sean, the two most deserving Oscar winners this year. I like Mickey, but he already played himself in the little seen Homeboy. New fans should check out the acerbic Year of The Dragon on The pope of Greenwich Village. t rivers, suss*x

Vortex; Teletext page 817; 25th of February, 2009; 1/6.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 2:03 pm

River Phoenix

Frumpy Squirrel Can giraffes get bird 'flu? I'm getting worried because if giraffes can catch it, what hope do us humble squirrels have?

Depends... are you red or gray?

gothic fairy Can I please have a moment's mute? My dinosaur has just crashed for the last time.

Maybe I should suggest a Love-In week, but that usually invokes the tumbleweeds.

Zine; 23rd of June, 2008; 1/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 2:07 pm

River Phoenix

WWE did it for Mickey

I wonder if Mickey Rourke's Oscar loss has anything to do with his rumoured involvement with the WWE over the next month? As deserving as sean pean was, he has already won the big one and it would have been nice to see Rourke complete his comeback with the win. Damien, Birmingham

I love The Gift, it's the only film I don't want to strangle Cate Blanchett in. She seems a lovely person, but a very boring actress. Maggie, Glasgow

Vortex; Teletext page 817; 25th of February, 2009; 2/6.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 3:02 pm

River Phoenix

Zine After Hours

When you've finished reading Zine, press the pink button to switch to ITV7 and watch Zine After Hours, where one panel of expert analysts discuss and read your texts about today's Zine! Does anyone really care what they say? Is WLW really gay? Who's getting it on? Worried about mondo ray? Let us know! And if you don't have a pink button, keep pressing your red button for a few months, and it should fade.

Vigilante Maelstrom

Hosted by Fearne Cotton, no doubt.

Zine; 23rd of June, 2008; 2/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 3:06 pm

River Phoenix

Thoughts on horror pic

I have just found out there is going to be a remake of The Last House On The Left and not sure what to think, I have seen the official trailer and didn't think much to it.

However, aone minute trailer isn't really enough. It's directed by Wes Craven once again so it could be good. I am a huge fan of the first film, but I know it was controversial and just wondered what everyone else thought of the original/ remake. Aaron Close, leeds

Vortex; Teletext page 817; 25th of February, 2009; 3/6.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 3:09 pm

River Phoenix

Lady Marmalade

Forget bringing s*xy back, I'm bringing marmalade back.
In the style of gordon ramsay in his latest programme, directions are as follows: Bread; butter; spread marmalade; DONE.
Any problems, give my mother, Lady Marmalade, a call.

Junior Minister

Who are you and what have you done with Junior Minister?

Zine; 23rd of March, 2008; 3/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 3:12 pm

River Phoenix

Editing and Mixing

Re The Oscars. Can Vortex or a viewer explain what the difference is between the sound editing and sound mixing awards? Thanks. Dave, London

Vortex: Sound Editing is the recording of sound effects and the creation of certain sounds, and background music. Mixing takes all these elements, plus the dialogue, onto a mixing board and creates the volumes and the pans (left or right or surround, etc) and that will appear in the final cut. Hope that helps explain it.

Vortex; Teletext page 817; 25th of February, 2009; 4/6.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 5:03 pm

River Phoenix

Care Bear 8-Ball Q&A

Is everything you say to be believed? *you got it*.
Will I ever win the Lottery? *don't think so*.
So I should stay with my job? *try again at bedtime*.
Ok, will I sleep well? *ixnay on athay*.
What? I don't understand. Will I or won't I? *follow your heart*.
That's a stupid answer, isn't it? *ab-so-care-lutely*.
What a waste of time, will this even get printed? *a grumpy no*.
I'm putting it in the bin.
YeahYeahYeah

The Princess psycho one is much better.

Zine; 23rd of June, 2008; 4/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 5:07 pm

River Phoenix

A VO fan writes

On the subject of Victor Olliver, I think he's a great reviewer, I love his sarcastic, dark and humorous retaliation to those few Vortexers who don't know the difference between a review, a preview and a spoiler.

The complainers are the sort who listen to a film commentary before watching the movie. Then complain the people on the commentary gave away the ending. VO, keep on pushing the buttons of these people. MWR, Thornaby On Tees

Vortex; Teletext page 817; 25th of February, 2009; 5/6.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 5:17 pm

River Phoenix

It's A Fix

All week, it took those hamsters to fix the ITV text service on the Sky platform. I've had withdrawal symptoms. Bet you didn't miss me, WLW, er, anyone?

The furry one says hamsters are quite nice grilled- glad to know they're good for something.

The Barking Tree

Well, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Teletext can't afford peanuts.

Zine; 23rd of June, 2008; 5/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 8:08 pm

River Phoenix

Warning: two spoilers

Neil (19/ 2). How is Duel a frustrating film with no ending? As I remember, it ends very satisfactorily when Dennis Weaver wedges his briefcase on the accelerator and makes the truck... oops, I've said too much. Hope I didn't spoil anyone's enjoyment. Nicko, Derby

The ending of the the hitcher was clear. I thought Rutger Hauer just wanted to stop him, and (spoiler) they did. Simon Reed, West Moors

Vortex: All these spoilers. Tsk.

Vortex; Teletext page 817; 25th of February, 2009; 6/6.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 8:11 pm

River Phoenix

Do little

TheAnimalWhisperer We're all Dolittles because we understand you, WLW.

Now I just wish I could understand you lot.

Llboy The Monkey I want all giraffe hunters banned from Zine due to a threat on the monarchy. oliver cromwell sucks!

Fighting words, they ain't.

Zine; 24th of June, 2008; 1/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 10:18 pm

River Phoenix

Finding a Cure

By John Earls

"The Cure should have won ages ago. Robert Smith has been a Godlike Genius for 25 years."

So says Alex Kapranos, summing up the feelings of everyone towards The Cure's lifetime achievement prize before their hits-friendly but heavy set at the NME Awards at Brixton Academy.

Kapranos had hosted the show as Franz Ferdinand duetted with La Roux, one of many fine performances this year.

1/6.

If The Cure's prize was overdue, Elbow's Outstanding contribution To British Music Award was a shock from a magazine yet to put them on the cover.

"We've been tigether for 18 years, so I'll take a lifetime achievement prize," Mark Potter tells us after.

"It may look like we're an overnight sensation after the explosion since we got the Mercury Prize, but it doesn't feel like that, believe me."

2/6.

Muse get Best Live Act. Where on earth can they take their shows now?

"Horses!" Matt Bellamy tells us. "We should start arriving on stage on horseback. I'm feeling like being noble and valiant is the way forward, and how better to do that on a horse?"

His nobility is undone when Dominic Howard revealed that matt thought he was sat next to Pussycat Dolls at the show, when it was actually Girls Aloud.

3/6.

michael eavis is buoyant after Glastonbury is named Best Live Event.

"I'm really pleased, after all the rubbish that was written about us last year," says michael. Raising the statue's upturned finger, he says: "I should tell certain bands where to stick that after they sl*gged us off.

"I told Noel Gallagher he was doing my publicity for me after he insulted jay-z, but he was having none of it."

4/6.

Florence And The Machine duetting with NME tour partners Glasvegas on suspicious minds worked, but Florence admitted it had been planned for ages.

"It didn't even feel like a duet in a weird way," she says. "We've got on so well now that I felt like I was in Glasvegas when we were singing. I love them. I crowdsurfed at the end of their set in London. I said: 'Hold my shoes!' to my sister and dived in."

5/6.

Friendly Fires make an effort with their performance, having a troupe of Brazilian dancers for Jump In The Pool.

"This has been the easiest gig we've ever done," reckons Ed Macfarlane. "Everyone was looking at the dancers, not us, and we only had to do one more.

"But we must be the least rock & roll band here. We've got a flight to Paris at 9am, so we're having an early night. That's scandalous, isn't it?"

6/6.

Teletext page 824; 26th of February, 2009.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 10:22 pm

River Phoenix

Make-under

I went to boots for some slap, but the assistant said I needed a "make-under," so they directed me to an electropaters, who administered a face peel using muric acid. My face now feels a bit raw, but at least it got rid of the acne.

Ang-Lee Beach

Wasn't there an interview with Muric Acid on Planet Sound last week?

Zine; 24th of June, 2008; 2/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 10:26 pm

River Phoenix

How do publications review albums so completely differently? After reading Earls' 5/10 review of U2's new album, I'm intrigued, as Rolling Stone have given it full marks.

Is it down to marketing, pushy record companies? I get annoyed when American magazines give great albums like Oasis' last one terrible reviews, yet do long, monotonous reviews about U2's greatness. US reviews can make or break albums. Aaron O'Neill

The Void; Teletext page 825; 26th of February, 2009; 1/7.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 10:40 pm

River Phoenix

Mega-Nuts

Mega-Zine should be renamed Mega-Nuts. With all thise folk texting to an invisible giraffe that answers back! I'm 100% sure if they all stopped taking their medication (me included) we would all get a free room with rubber wallpaper and rubber knives and forks.

GEORDYDEBBLES

You can't see through me that easily.

Zine; 24th of June, 2008; 3/5.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

24th Jan 2013 at 10:45 pm

River Phoenix

I'm surprised no-one picked up on Take That for miming at the Brits. It was a live show and, for all the hype surrounding that talentless four, why didn't they sing live? I wish they'd split up again. David Hubball

The Beatles are so far ahed of everyone else, why try to compare? The music was experimental, but accessible, whereas Radiohead are too intense and bleak. The Beatles are that rarity who both sold and had influence. A McGarvey

The Void; Teletext page 825; 26th of February, 2009; 2/7.

Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...
Πανδώρα: MUHAHAHAHAHA!
IGH: And so it ends
Captain Spiky: I've just been loving life, going through the photos in the Meets gallery. so many awesome people that I loved hanging out with

Page: