End of 'Zine

Posted In: Mega-Zine Chat. Reading This Thread:

WLW

| 98 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 11:32 am

VR kicks ass!

Hi there,
It's with a heavy heart that I have to announce the Mega-Zine is coming to an end.

We've had a few near death experiences over the years, but this time it's inescapable. If I thought there was some way to reverse the decison I'd let you know, but there isn't.

It's nothing to do with readership numbers or the quality of the 'Zine. It's just that there are some big changes afoot at Teletext - ones that mean there will be no place for WLW or Mega-Zine.

Hopefully I will be able to announce it properly in today's edition. There's no official end date yet. It'll probably be in March some time.

I'm sure a decent send-off will eventuate, but till then it's business as usual.

WLW
x

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 11:37 am

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

aww man that sucks. Forgive me for being too personal, but are you actually losing your job? Either way, sorry man

I know we complain all the time about "Zines not as good as it used to be" and about Ziners we don't like, or letter not being printed or edited, but still sad to see it go. As I've said before, I thought Zines been pretty good the past few months, and some of your replies were brilliant, in many cases, funnier than the letter itself.

I'm sure we'll find some way to continue on the spirit of Zine. But still, f*cking gutted.

End of an era
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

SEE OTHER ACCOUNT

| 1,786 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 12:32 pm

Damn shame. Best of luck with the future, WLW.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 2:45 pm

Colin -

Oh no. I did not want to consider the possibility.

Speechless. Luckily, I can type, but speechless.

I suppose the best we can do is give it a brilliant last few weeks.
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 2:52 pm

I aim to misbehave

I agree, we should also start thinking about maybe doing a letter from VR to be the final Zine Letter ever. I'd hate for it to be Daddypoos saying "Hey, if the black box on a plane is so strong, why don't they make the whole plane out of it? (insert other random sentence with no relevance to anything)" or something like that

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:04 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: SHADOW_FIGHTER
B*gger :-(
would running an online 'zine be worth it? It wouldn't be the same, obviously, but...
argh. Gutted

Perhaps. I think Andrew owns the mega-zine.co.uk website/domain thing. So perhaps there might be some way to continue Zine. Maybe setting up a new email address for people to send letters to, announcing it on the final Zine, one of us stand in for WLW each week (or if he'd be interested doing it himself) and putting the letters there. Having it all done through here would probably bring a lot more people to this site and I don't know exactly how many of them we'd want here. Could you imagine Mondo or Daddypoos coming here and reading old Zine posts? Doubt they'd be too happy

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:04 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote: SHADOW_FIGHTER
B*gger :-(
would running an online 'zine be worth it? It wouldn't be the same, obviously, but...
argh. Gutted

If WLW wanted to carry on writing witty retorts as a hobby or something, I'd be quite happy to run it on mega-zine.co.uk. Actually, it would be quite nice to get an official response on trademarks and copyrights etc, will teletext let us use the name if it goes "unofficial"? It would be nice if I could get in touch with the relevant people about that. Don't want to be getting letters from lawyers in 6 months...

Anyways, WLW, I hope that you are alright on a personal/employment level.

Sh*t, I should get my a*se in gear, maybe get printed for the first time ever before it goes off. Does anyone even remember the days of it being a big deal getting printed?...  

Edited by LoonyPandora Feb 2009

Colin

| 10,038 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:12 pm

Colin -

I'm not sure about this talk about keeping an almost-'Zine alive... I need it as much as anyone but...
That's not to say I wouldn't contribute. It's difficult to think at the moment, really.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:14 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: thelostdude
I'm not sure about this talk about keeping an almost-'Zine alive... I need it as much as anyone but...
That's not to say I wouldn't contribute. It's difficult to think at the moment, really.

I'd half agree. To be honest, I'm still going to end up thinking of letters and what-not. So long as I have somewhere to put them, even if its just a thread on here, I'd be happy enough. Although WLWs replies are always an added bonus.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:16 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

From my point of view, if WLW isn't gonna contribute to an online only 'zine, mega-zine.co.uk will just stay as an archive of past letters. I won't zombify 'zine.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:24 pm

Colin -

Quote: Paddy_Irishman

I'd half agree. To be honest, I'm still going to end up thinking of letters and what-not. So long as I have somewhere to put them, even if its just a thread on here, I'd be happy enough. Although WLWs replies are always an added bonus.

Yes, I'd still like to write my self-indulgent 'humourisms' and I think that'd be the way to get them out.
Or I could turn to the stand-up circuit, if Mark bugged me enough.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:27 pm

I aim to misbehave

Yes, I'd still like to write my self-indulgent 'humourisms' and I think that'd be the way to get them out.

I've been told I should do stand-up. But my legs get tired easily.

Hehe, you can use that one

Dalek

| 412 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:35 pm

Stand and Deliver!!

Best of luck, WLW. You had a good innings.

1993-2009 Mega-Zine

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:38 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Gavin
Best of luck, WLW.  You had a good innings.

1993-2009 Mega-Zine

True. As WLW said, Zine escaped the chop a fair few times. And I'd say many of us are surprised it lasted this long.

Ya did good kid, you did good.

Dalek

| 412 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:43 pm

Stand and Deliver!!

Time flies. 16 years. Must admit I never thought it would last that long. Makes me feel old.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 3:57 pm

the doc -

End of an era, damn shame.

Fare thee well, old friend

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 5:18 pm

I aim to misbehave

just thinking, I made it just over 5 years being a Ziner. Think I started writing in about December 03/January 04. Only 5 years.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 5:25 pm

the doc -

Is that all?

You seemed to be around forever.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 5:35 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Sucks, though I also think it's been lucky to last this long.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 5:39 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

I genuinely think you should do this, you are more than capable, and already very good at it.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Colin

| 10,038 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 6:29 pm

Colin -

just thinking, I made it just over 5 years being a Ziner. Think I started writing in about December 03/January 04. Only 5 years.

That's about a year more than me, I think.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 7:16 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: the_doc
Is that all?

You seemed to be around forever.

Seems longer to me too. No, I never had the internet til I started college in 2003, and even then it was a while before I got the courage to write in. Then another while before any of my letters were printed. My first few letters were imaginary interviews with dead people. First one was with Priness Diana, second was Hitler, third I think was the devil. In the end I just wrote some other letter and got printed. Possibly 'Things you shouldn't find in a vase (or maybe things you shouldnt put in a toaster)' And so it began...

F*ck I'm getting all nostalgic now...

Griff

| 764 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 7:22 pm

Griff - (indoors)

(indoors)

I know I've not been the best 'Ziner, but this feels wrong and makes me feel sad. It's hard to explain. Going to miss WLW's comments and everyone's randomness. I know it's none of my business but I hope WLW is alright for a job and all that. Good luck for the future, you've been good to us.

I think I'll write one more letter, to pay my last respects and all that. Whatever the plans for the future on VR and elsewhere are, I'd like to remain a part of it and I hope Colin keeps reminding me. You guys are so awesome.

Are the subtle hints on 'Zine to let the non-VR lot know easily?
[http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3580/99b13b914a1d02c13011793.gif]

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 7:26 pm

I Cunt Spell -

This is even sadder than James' untimely demise.

ANBY v3.0

| 7,728 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 7:59 pm

ANBY v3.0 - Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Officially female according to Pamplemeese Decree.

Quote: admin
sh*t, I should get my a*se in gear, maybe get printed for the first time ever before it goes off. Does anyone even remember the days of it being a big deal getting printed?...  

Wouldn't it be ironic if Andy's letter was the last one ever to be put up?

But this is a true shame to see happen, but let's be honest: it was-- in many respects-- inevitable. As has been said, there's been several near misses, but sooner or later, the run's gotta come to an end (a bit like Harold Shipman, in fact). Here's just hoping that WLW is siphoned off into another department of Teletext Towers, to sprinkle his wit and customer service skills in other areas.

Seriously. They'd best be keeping you somewhere, or we might have to go down there and choke-a-b*tch.

We've had a good run, and by virtue of our own pressganging, insistance and constant stubborn willpower, we've not only managed to keep it rolling for an extended time, but also to have given it the dignity of a sufficiently-thorough archive. Sure, Zine had its highs and its lows, but it meant a lot to scores of people throughout the years, and in some perverse ways, it's shaped many of our lives. To its own ends, what we got out of it is win enough in its own rights. So in many ways (to myself at least) this feels kinda bittersweet.

And besides, the Zine page may be ending, but the thing that actually made it what it was hasn't gone anywhere, has it?
Rupert didn't win the Best Signature Award. He does not exist.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 8:15 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

What Rob said. It was always going to happen, and it would be fitting if we could keep it going here in some way with a VRer as WLW if WLW him/herself couldn't do it
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

Griff

| 764 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 9:26 pm

Griff - (indoors)

(indoors)

Quote: Lilac_Leopard
What Rob said. It was always going to happen, and it would be fitting if we could keep it going here in some way with a VRer as WLW if WLW him/herself couldn't do it

Though I don't know anything, I'd like WLW to continue if he wouldn't mind... On the other hand, Colin proved his abilities. Though that may take the fun out of it for him, or he might be busy. It's a high-backed seat to fill after WLW, and no one would be replacing him, let's face it no one can or wants to.

But I think whoever else could do a great job in their own right. I've seen so many intelligent and humorous people on 'Zine over the years. I've seen my fair share of 'rtards' too, but that's not my focus here.

P.S. Sorry if anyone's offended by rtard, I probably didn't mean you, give the newbies a chance and all that, and it's a South Park quote, so I wasn't trying to be rude or anything. If anything, I'm one of the rtards.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 9:26 pm

Colin -

It's just an idea; would it be possible to rent a neighbouring Teletext page for eulogies from different 'Ziners on different days?
And I think if the mega-zine.co.uk site is going to remain, we must erect some kind of monument. Digitally.

Poor WLW...

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 11:00 pm

Carpet Remnant -

COLIN FOR WLW

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 11:15 pm

Mancomb Seepgood - Grog me.

Grog me.

Great sadness, though I haven't read it for a number of years now. I'll stick a letter or two in the old e-mailing system.
If I could get an orange that was as low-maintenance as an apple, I'd be a happy man

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 11:19 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Aw man. Certainly I'll go for a few letters. But surely the last day should be something special? After all, Digi got a royal send off.

Alec

| 1,347 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 11:21 pm

Alec - Bing Bong Changes

Bing Bong Changes

Aww cr*p. I finally get the courage to write in to 'Zine after eight or nine years, and I kill it!

Regarding the 'afterwards', if one person can't be pinned down to the job, perhaps a rolling list of editors, similar in spirit to the guest-editor weeks, might be an idea?

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

16th Feb 2009 at 11:34 pm

Chris Kamara -

An unfortunate but inevitable end.

So now it's all done with, WLW: male or bloody female?!

Dr. Harold Shipman

| 10,547 posts

17th Feb 2009 at 12:23 am

Dr. Harold Shipman - Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

Y'know, I've just realised I started writing sh*te letters about five years ago

Also, surely there are enough pages to use one for 'Zine? Especially if it's not lack of letters being sent or anything. The Teletext people are GAY.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

17th Feb 2009 at 8:45 am

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Haryuu_No_Hanekata
Also, surely there are enough pages to use one for 'Zine? Especially if it's not lack of letters being sent or anything. The Teletext people are GAY.

Its hard to tell just how far back they're cutting things. I mean, they're not just taking it off digitext, they're taking it off the website too. Besides, I'd say a fair bit of time does be spent reading through all the letters, choosing which ones, censoring and editing, writing up to be published etc (I have no idea the amount of work it takes to write codes and stuff for either digitext or the internet).

I think for the final Zine letter, it should either be a letter from all of us, or a letter from either David James or Straws, seeing as how much work they put into archiving Zine and whatnot. But I'd prefer a letter from all of us.

Although thats my idea for the final Zine letter, but the last page should be a farewell speech from WLW

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

17th Feb 2009 at 10:37 am

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Oh gosh, oh no - it is really sad. I cried a tiny bit. It is like a tiny bit of me is scribbled out. - I was not ready to stop, yet. :-[

Quote: Colin
I think for the final Zine letter, it should either be a letter from all of us, or a letter from either David-James or Straws, seeing as how much work they put into archiving Zine and whatnot. But I'd prefer a letter from all of us.

Please can we make a big letter from everyone? - It would be lots better, I think.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Griff

| 764 posts

17th Feb 2009 at 10:47 am

Griff - (indoors)

(indoors)

what's the sort of limit 'Zine letter length we're facing? I think the combined letter would be good, but it could have x pages out of the 5 for us and the rest for WLW's speech. Just a thought, this is all a bit sad.

Megazine Letters.

| 3,425 posts

17th Feb 2009 at 10:49 am

Megazine Letters. - You! Me! Milkshakes!

You! Me! Milkshakes!

I am not sure - I will sent a PM to WLW.
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/591931.jpg]

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

17th Feb 2009 at 12:00 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

i'm proud to be a Ziner, and of course i'm also proud to be the longest-ever reigning Ziner. Also, Baz's post (on this page) made me feel special.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

PsyPo

| 2,175 posts

17th Feb 2009 at 3:18 pm

PsyPo - The original potato.

The original potato.

Had a shock as I heard the news just now. Such a damn shame, it's been a brilliant read over the several years I've read it, and I'm so glad to have been a part of it. I have to say it's become rather detached over the years, but still as fun as it ever was.

Cheers WLW, I'll remember it fondly, and kudos to the support of all the other 'Ziners as well. Glad we have the 'Zine community here to keep things going at least, I'll try and drop in more often now.
Follow me on Twitter: @DJKrisopolis
Follow me on Twister: Right Hand Green!

http://thekettlereview.blogspot.co.uk/
http://52876.bandcamp.com/

Insane Jam Sow

| 443 posts

17th Feb 2009 at 3:48 pm

Insane Jam Sow - Bill Bryson is my God

Bill Bryson is my God

Nothing I can add that hasn't already been said, but yes, end of an era and all that. If there's any kind of mass letter being sent I would love to be a part of it; otherwise I'm sure we can fill several editions with our individual messages of condolence.

For my part, I've been reading 'Zine for nearly a decade and writing since 2001. It was Sir Whence Pitchfork (OK, my friend Chris) who introduced me to it along with Digitiser, Backchat, Dr Nick and a host of other Teletext and Ceefax wonders - all since departed. It really was a golden age.

It will be missed.
http://www.freewebs.com/megazine

Yes, my website still exists. Just about.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

17th Feb 2009 at 4:53 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote:
Transcript of answerphone message left at 4.10pm Tuesday: "This is WLW. I can't do a MegaZine update as I've been in the job centre for most of the day. I hope to put some new letters on air on Wednesday. See ya..."

That sucks WLW. Didnt know if you were really losing your job or not. Sorry man

Debs|OWA

| 6,513 posts

17th Feb 2009 at 9:49 pm

Debs|OWA - Scree

Scree

this actually fails
Mega-zine and you guys have taken up the best part of what.....5 years of my life? Sent my first letter during work experience when i was in 4th year :3

But man, im gonna miss all this.
Sure it wasn't the same as the good ol' days but it was still 'Zine :3

*uberly massive hugs for WLW*

the doc

| 23,161 posts

18th Feb 2009 at 10:00 am

the doc -

I sent an e-mail to Earls from PS yesterday to see if The Void is in for the chop as well, and that's safe. Apparently, all the full-time editorial staff have been laid-off (hence no more Zine), although Earls and the guy that does GameCentral have been given work-from-home redundancy packages. Seems like times is tough at Teletext Towers.........

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

18th Feb 2009 at 10:08 am

I aim to misbehave

f*ck, I hope Gamecentral isnt affected too badly. Dont see why they don't get rid of the more useless elements of Teletext, like the horoscopes and such, or the fact they hire Tina Baker to write stuff for the TV section. She probably costs them far more than she's worth.

Just please... not Gamecentral too...

the doc

| 23,161 posts

18th Feb 2009 at 10:10 am

the doc -

GameCentral's fine as far as I know, like I said, that guy got the same deal as Earls and he says he's fine for the foreseeable future

Topper

| 6,773 posts

18th Feb 2009 at 10:13 am

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Yikes, that was a bit out of the blue...

I'm up for almost any level of contribution required, in almost way shape or form to see off 'Zine in the manner it deserves; it (pathetically) played a big part in my life at one time and even though I'm not a regular 'Ziner any longer I still feel part of it...you know, in my loins 'n' that.

I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Colin

| 10,038 posts

18th Feb 2009 at 10:32 am

Colin -

Oh dear...

JM

| 8,289 posts

18th Feb 2009 at 5:22 pm

How about WLW "unmasks" himself/herself for the final edition?

WLW

| 98 posts

24th Feb 2009 at 3:30 pm

VR kicks ass!

It'll be announced in today's edition - the 'Zine is officially ending on March 18.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: