Texting on Teletext - It's 'Zine Related Trust Me

Posted In: Mega-Zine Chat. Reading This Thread:

1st Dec 2006 at 7:38 pm

Right, this is pretty much 'Zine related as it involves 'Ziners.

This is going a few years back (I think around 2000/2001). Does anyone remember a page on channel 4 teletext where you could text in and the message would appear on screen. I remember quite a few 'Ziners used to text into it although I don't think it lasted very long which is a shame as it was funny Constantly the moderators of the page would put messages up telling people not to call the number and such.
Hideous Defunct Creation

wombat

| 8,154 posts

1st Dec 2006 at 7:42 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

I remember that- christ, I used to kill my time just reading the losers flirting with each other badly.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

1st Dec 2006 at 7:58 pm

Yay!!! Someone else remembers it It was strangly addictive and there was about 3 pages of it and the moderators were always complaining at someone.
Hideous Defunct Creation

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

1st Dec 2006 at 9:05 pm

Jewbacca -

I remember that. I never wrote in but used to read it when I was bored or adverts were on
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

History For Sale

| 6,560 posts

1st Dec 2006 at 9:22 pm

Now our history is for sale....

Oh god lord aye.... that is going back a bit.
I only want you to see
My favourite part of me
And not my ugly side
Not my ugly side

[http://furcadia.com/banners/images/DownloadB2.gif]

Debs|OWA

| 6,513 posts

4th Dec 2006 at 9:48 am

Debs|OWA - Scree

Scree

i remember reading it once. i was just a lil kid i think and accidently stumbled upoin it

Gary

| 3,774 posts

4th Dec 2006 at 10:14 am

Gary - I is not evil.

I is not evil.

I remember a teletext chat room that pre-dated text messaging. You had to use two digit character codes for text similar to ASCII and type them on a touchtone phone, while paying about 10p a minute.

Also there was a text message thing for commenting on certain TV programs for a while. When you keyed in the page number it dropped to a bar on the screen, like subtitles or that BBC Latest News page, and texts people sent in about the program showed up. Was that a Zine thing? I can't remember.
[http://imagegen.last.fm/Apnet/recenttracks/3/se_osiris.gif]

I like an escalator because an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator temporarily out of order" sign, only an "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience."
- Mitch Hedberg

Rainbow

| 1,219 posts

4th Dec 2006 at 11:06 am

Is the avatar upload thing broken?

I remember that, it was immense! A great way to spend insomniac nights, watching idiots text in stupid stuff, watching the dodgy messages appear for a second before being deleted by a mod.. Ah, those were the days, as they say...

4th Dec 2006 at 8:51 pm

Quote: Gary
I remember a teletext chat room that pre-dated text messaging. You had to use two digit character codes for text similar to ASCII and type them on a touchtone phone, while paying about 10p a minute.

Also there was a text message thing for commenting on certain TV programs for a while. When you keyed in the page number it dropped to a bar on the screen, like subtitles or that BBC Latest News page, and texts people sent in about the program showed up. Was that a Zine thing? I can't remember.

It wasn't really anything to do with 'Zine. I pretty sure it wasn't on the teen section. It was just 'Ziners and those who read without posting in were texting in on it. I remember there was a couple who were having a discussion about Parsley Possum. Think I text in a few times although I was always low on credit
Hideous Defunct Creation

Claire

| 15,814 posts

4th Dec 2006 at 9:06 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

MTXC! My sister got text married to some guy on that! And I was on it, I remember talking to Savage Cabbage. It went, then came back, then went again and now there's a similar thing on ITV. Aww man, the memories, I spent so much money on that f*cker!
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

4th Dec 2006 at 9:17 pm

Quote: Claire
MTXC! My sister got text married to some guy on that! And I was on it, I remember talking to Savage Cabbage. It went, then came back, then went again and now there's a similar thing on ITV. Aww man, the memories, I spent so much money on that f*cker!

Ha ha it was painfully addictive.

It had 3 individual pages in its final incarnation if I remember correctly.

On ITV? Oh cool what page number?
Hideous Defunct Creation

Claire

| 15,814 posts

4th Dec 2006 at 9:27 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

At one point I remember 6 or 7, 3 main ones, a sports page, a TV page...some others...definitely 5 at least! When it came back there were less, though...

I've no idea without looking what page the text chat thing's on on ITV but it's not the same thing, it's more of a dating thing now and is with the dating pages . The things I find with the browse button...
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

Snowflake

| 11,898 posts

6th Dec 2006 at 1:59 pm

Snowflake - Lady Lobschter

Lady Lobschter

Sh*t I remember MTXC. There was a soaps page at one point too.

I also remember the teletext page with the touch-type. Aceness on toast.
self-confessed spamaholic

about as useful as trying to put the pin back in the grenade

Me and Matt - King and Queen lobster spam team!!

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page