Podcasts & Politics: A Barry & James Correspondence

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

21st May 2012 at 1:28 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Haven't heard of We Hate Movies, I must say.

As for Greg Proops, I've heard about it, but I was kinda put off by it largely being just him talking by himself. I just always figured it'd be too much like listening to a comedian try out a stand-up routine that they wrote in a week and just try to improvise for a lot of it. When listening to WTF with Marc Maron, I'm always in two minds whether or not to skip the first few minutes where it's just him talking.

That being said, I do like Proops in general (well, mostly based off Whose Line Is It Anyway where he did say the funniest thing I have ever heard on television (which wasn't even that funny, but at the time, I was breathless from laughing so hard)). And also, I've started listening to Bill Burr's Monday Morning Podcast which is also just Bill Burr (great American stand up, was on an episode of Hollywood Babble-On too and was great on it) talking by himself and even though I haven't even listened to a full episode of it yet, I'm really liking it so far. Very funny guy.

I'm also finding Penn's Sunday School a bit hit and miss if I'm being honest. He has told some great stories on it and some parts have been really interesting, but I'm not feeling that "New episode is out? WOOHOO!" feeling I get with TESD or Babble-On.
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

21st May 2012 at 2:04 pm

I aim to misbehave

Maron is entertaining enough, but at the same time, I only listen to episodes depending on the guest, which means I could miss 5 episodes in a row. First bit of most episodes though is like he's continuing the same conversation he started last time. I've actually been meaning to check out some of his stand up, see what that's like

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

25th May 2012 at 8:36 am

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Walt Flanagan, May 2012
Quote: Steve-Dave, May 2012
Maron is entertaining enough, but at the same time, I only listen to episodes depending on the guest, which means I could miss 5 episodes in a row. First bit of most episodes though is like he's continuing the same conversation he started last time. I've actually been meaning to check out some of his stand up, see what that's like

He's okay. He's built a mythology around himself that you do have to buy into to find him actually funny as opposed to cathartic. Maron is probably only really funny when he's talking about himself in particular, and it reflects more common experience in general. If he's got a genius as a comedian, it's his complete openness about things that other people like to hide, and so it's almost like observational comedy on a really micro level.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I watched Almost Famous a few nights ago and now know where "LOCK THE GATES" at the start of the podcast comes from.

Lets switch to politics then. I have to admit, I'm still very new to politics in general, but find myself watching more shows about politics, particularly when there's an actual discussion rather than just "here's what this minister is doing". I especially love Real Time with Bill Maher, not just because it's funny, but also, American Politics is really extreme.

We have a referendum next week in Ireland to vote on the Stability Treaty. I don't know what way the vote will go. From what I can tell, Yes vote means there'll be more austerity for maybe 5-6 years, but there'll be less of it as we could borrow money at lower rates and have longer to pay it back. No vote means we'll have less ways to borrow money and have to pay it back sooner, which means we'll probably end up with more severe austerity over the next 3-4 years. Plus a Yes vote could go towards preventing something like this happening again.

The No campaign keeps talking about how the Government needs to invest and boost growth, but the only way the government could get money to do that is to borrow. Borrowing more than you can afford to is partially what got us in this situation in the first place, and I don't think that with financial crises happening in other Euro countries there could be enough growth to repay what we'd need to borrow.

Even though a Yes vote won't suddenly solve everything, it does seem like the best way to go. I just despise how other parts of the government never even try to offer up any realistic solutions. Scaremongering in order to play party politics.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

25th May 2012 at 11:19 am

I aim to misbehave

I don't think austerity measures are helping at all, based solely on the evidence of the coalition's time. It's just the Conservatives loving cuts. Cuts cuts cuts! That'll solve all the problems! Help yourselves, you lazy b*st*rds, these taxes you pay are for our benefit, not the nation's!

Corporations are posting mind-bogglingly record profits. A cap on that gratuitous wealth - that the people who do the hard work and earn hardly see - would put a hell of a lot into that deficit that Cameron promised to cut, before he started to tear the NHS apart. It'll never happen, because of the vested power that wealth wields, but I think that not being able to earn more than 1,000 x the average wage would be eminently healthy for all societies. A Roman tribune tried proposing that once, and, as you can imagine was stabbed to death very quickly afterwards.

I'm done with voting, at least until I see a candidate that I at least 1/4 believe in.

I'm definitely not an expert, but Economics was a small part of my college course, and one of the things we learnt about was Fiscal policy. When you're in a boom time, you raise taxes and lower spending, and you put the surplus to one side. Then when a recession hits (which it inevitably will), you have the surplus which means you can lower taxes and increase spending. The reason why the recession has been so bad is because money wasn't put aside during the 20-year boom period. Politicians got greedy. It's no coincidence that both Fianna Fail in Ireland and Labour in the UK were in power for so long. They did whatever they needed to do to stay in power, by keeping the boom going for as long as possible without putting money aside.

That's why I think austerity is the best solution. We don't have the surplus to increase spending. The only place that money can come from is by borrowing some, and reducing the amount we need to spend.

As for capping on wealth, I think it's a nice idea, but would do more harm than good. No companies would set up in a place which would limit their own profits. If a business started up and eventually hit that cap, they'd move the business so they could make more money, or inevitably find some legal loophole. Besides which, I think that if you work hard and get to a level where you can earn that kind of money, that's your right. What I think is that these people be held more responsible for the failings of their company. We've seen it in Ireland with Sean Quinn, head of the Quinn Insurance company, where when he went bankrupt, a lot of stuff (houses, cars) were in his wife's name or other family members' names, then there was something about how he was trying to get declared bankrupt in Northern Ireland instead of the Republic of Ireland which would mean he wouldn't have to pay back some loans etc. The rich should be allowed to earn what they want, and what they can.... but it's because of the government being afraid of their power that they don't chase them enough and make them responsible for their actions.

I always thought being declared bankrupt was financially one of the worst things that could happen to you. Turns out, if you played your cards right, it's one of the best.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

25th May 2012 at 12:08 pm

I aim to misbehave

Well, I think after a certain point - and I know my ignorance of economics is showing like an unsightly visible panty line - you cease to earn your own money. Mr Big Business at the top, with his eighties braces and power hair doesn't work anywhere as near as hard as the man who drags himself out of bed as five in the morning to clean the toilets. I posit that once you get past a certain worth, your continuing profit alone becomes immoral, because it's the sweat of a working man that's enlarging your a*se.

In an ideal world, sure. But in reality, who would strive to become a successful businessman if there was a cap on it? I agree that some wages some people get (bankers in particular with their insane bonuses etc) are just staggering considering they probably go to three meetings a week, then go home or play golf. But in a way, if you don't offer them the big bucks, they'll go somewhere they can get big bucks. Then you end up with someone who isn't as good.

Hypothetical as I can't think of a real example: If Steve Jobs hit that limit by Apple making the iPod, why would he then make the iPhone, or iPad? He's not going to make more from doing it (definitely not now, but even back then), so why strive to create something else, even if his role in creating it was just coming up with the basic idea and paying others to work and slog all hours to make it work?

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

28th May 2012 at 8:07 am

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Tyres, May 2012
Good! What a convieniently accepted truth that is for the people who make those kinds of incomes; that they're a benefit for the country they live in. For them to hold the public to ransom for the highest, most ridiculous amount of zeroes at the end of their paycheque shows how ill-suited they are for their positions of power and influence. Unelected leaders whose only concern, above human life, above what's best for their country, is to make as much money as possible.

They are a benefit. Big factory creates jobs. Jobs spreads money through locality (shops where people get lunch, office suppliers etc). But totally agree on the unjust power and influence this gives them, and how their only concern becomes profit.

Well, there's the problem when innovation is in the hands of a private sector - all you're going to get out the other end is what's profitable, not what's best for the human race.

Now that space travel is a solely commercial business, things are going to shift round and change in that area for the worse. What money can you make from going to Mars? If you can burn a giant Coca-Cola logo across the red planet, then maybe it might make a profit, otherwise, let it be.

Should Steve Jobs and Apple have had no interest in making the iPhone - as is their right, if they're not going to profit from it - then it's the place of a smaller company to innovate, and get themselves together to fill a gap in the market. The benefit here is that no one corporation ends up with a monopoly or a synergy in one area, meaning that the consumer benefits with the widest range of choice.

Of course, this is all my fever dream, and definitely wouldn't work in practice.

Fair points in above and can't really argue with any of it.

Good TESD this week. The themed episode really helped them out, and it was a fascinating theme, at that. Do wish they had more time to do it in, though, instead of watching the clock.

Yeah, felt like more old-school TESD. Still not overly sold on just how regular Ming is on lately. Obviously, he's a great lightning rod for Walt's faux anger. But at the same time, I'd almost prefer if he wasn't there and Bry or Q had to bear that brunt instead, because at least they might get in a funny retort.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

28th May 2012 at 2:25 pm

I aim to misbehave

I've got nothing against Cliff Chen, the man, but Ming the Podcast Person is complete dead weight. If he thinks he's said something funny, he'll say it twice. Which is a jar. I think he's also gotten more full of himself post-Comic Book Men.

That's his main problem for me. Bry, Walt and Q... their conversations, while still bearing in mind that it's on a podcast, always sound like conversations they might have. They don't go for laughs, they just get laughs by being funny with each other. Ming is more geared towards "have to try and get a laugh" and taking it too serious. He's always too stiff because he's aware it's on a podcast. I don't think he's ever said anything funny, but Walt and Bry busting him can be brilliant. Makes a nice change every now and again, but he shouldn't be on every week.

What do you think of Comic Book Men season 2? 16 half hour episodes. I was skeptical at first, but could be a good call. I did like the "What will they get up to this week" part of the show as well as the "Okay, this is what actually happens in a Comic Book shop" part, but there wasn't a whole lot else they could do without it being overplayed. I'd say the shorter episodes will mean it'll just mostly be the pod sections with Smith and the parts with actual customers, with Bry in the background busting balls.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

28th May 2012 at 2:48 pm

I aim to misbehave

The worst sin the show committed, and one which straight away would have alienated a lot of people and put the show and general comic fandom on the bad foot, was the first episode, right after the opening credits, the first thing they talk about is "Which female superhero did you have a crush on growing up?" Straight away, they make it seem like most comic book fans jerk off to the latest issue of Wonder Woman.

I was explaining to my friend (who only watched it for the first time last week) that it was all organised, but not scripted. So the people coming in with rare comics etc, the producers would have known and organised for them to come in, but the guys wouldn't have known. Same with going to Collingswood, and getting tattoos, it was organised to get them into those situations, but unscripted. But I agree, even unscripted, it didn't feel... natural. Just put them sitting in a room. Let them talk. If the show was made off the back of TESD (and namely, Bry and Walt's friendship like you said), make that the sub-focus of the show (after actual comics). I think that's what we'll get more of next season. Mike and Ming just can't keep up with Bry and Walt. In fact, if you get rid of the "wacky situation" part of the show, there's no real need to have Ming at all. His role was essentially to be the whipping boy for those sections. He doesn't have Walt and Mike's knowledge of comics, and he doesn't have Bry's humour. I think his role will be mostly kept to saying stupid things in the pod sections of the show.

I hope they can arrange to have Q on the show a little bit too, even just one episode. Have you watched Impractical Jokers? I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, but it is a really funny show. Like CBM, the real joy of the show is the cast's interactions with each other.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

17th Jun 2012 at 9:15 am

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Tyres, Jun 2012
Really enjoyed the last two TESDs.

Yeah, they've been great. Even made me delisted to the first Space Monkeys episode, which is still hilarious.

Listened to an episode of Mohr Stories by Jay Mohr, an episode with Ralph Garman on it. It was pretty good. He was alright when he co-hosted HBO with Ralph so might check it out a bit... Mohr (snigger)

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

18th Jun 2012 at 1:37 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Steve-Dave, Jun 2012
Really enjoyed the last two TESDs.

Yeah, they've been great. Even made me delisted to the first Space Monkeys episode, which is still hilarious.

That is excellent. If it keeps Walt passionate about the show, I wouldn't mind maybe one Space Monkeys a month.

If they get to Ireland, are you going to go out on the pull with Q?

Nah, probably just sit in a dark corner with Bry and complain about sh*t. I have enough trouble chatting up girls when my friends are near, never mind hanging out with international superstar Brian "Q" Quinn.

Walt would be alright if it wasn't for people bitching for no good reason other than to b*tch. It's truly amazing what people find to complain about.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

18th Jun 2012 at 2:28 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Steve-Dave, Jun 2012

Walt would be alright if it wasn't for people bitching for no good reason other than to b*tch. It's truly amazing what people find to complain about.

They'd be better off disengaging from the social media altogether, they're not of the right generation to realise how much of the internet are useless cranks.

I think they have the right approach of just banning people for needlessly complaining from now on. I think Bry and Q understand (though Bry does tend to get suckered into the bitching), Walt's just not of that mindset.

Maybe they'll take a few weeks off and post the Space Monkeys England shows. Or maybe they're saving them for the first few weeks of shooting Season 2 of CBM.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

20th Jun 2012 at 7:18 pm

I aim to misbehave

Wow, Q quit Impractical Jokers and The Tenderloins. Didn't really see it coming, but then again, the signs were there. Does mean we might get him on Comic Book Men though, and hopefully he'll be a bit more energetic on TESD

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

21st Jun 2012 at 2:20 pm

I aim to misbehave

Jesus, this is the first I've heard of it. He seemed summarily unimpressed with the trappings of fame and sh*t, whereas the rest of the Jokers kind of revelled in it. A Q co-starring Comic Book Men is the best of all possible worlds.

I don't even think it was the fame, it just seemed like doing the show took so much out of him. He never seemed completely happy with the actual filming of the show, waiting around etc, whereas the stories from the rest of the guys filming CBM always seemed fairly positive. He had in his Twitter bio "dancing monkey" which has now changed to "former dancing monkey" which is pretty telling

I picked up a Richard Herring podcast that had Stewart Lee interviewed for 80 minutes. It's a nice listen, and their relationship is inherently interesting, as Lee becomes a critical comedy icon and Herring just kind of becomes a footnote to his partner. There's a great bit where Richard gives Stew's Comedy Vehicle some stick, comparing it to Little and Large, with Large offstage.

About 10 minutes left on it myself (can't listen during work, so have to wait for the drive home to finish). I think he made the same Little & Large joke in one of the other episodes of it (only listened to the Tim Minchin and Charlie Brooker ones), but it is very funny. It's also great to see more of a difference between Lee the man and Lee the comedian. He seems like a very likeable guy, and it's great to see his and Herring's friendship really come through in the conversation, as I've never actually seen anything they've done together.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

21st Jun 2012 at 4:04 pm

I aim to misbehave

An almost schizophrenic difference between the comedian and man, haha. Fist of Fun and This Morning With Richard Not Judy were actually staples of my childhood, I used to watch them, not quite understanding, but still laughing. It wasn't until a long time after I'd discovered Lee the Standup that I made the connection between the two. It's all on YouTube, anyway.

Quite tempted to order Fist of Fun and TMWRNJ off the internet if I can find them, but my prepaid credit card is busted so I think I have to get a replacement one of that first, then order them. Which almost seems like too much hassle.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

21st Jun 2012 at 8:32 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Drew Brees, Jun 2012
Wow, Q quit Impractical Jokers and The Tenderloins. Didn't really see it coming, but then again, the signs were there. Does mean we might get him on Comic Book Men though, and hopefully he'll be a bit more energetic on TESD

Yeah, we've been had. He is on Season 2 of Impractical Jokers. "Dancing Monkey" and "Tenderloin" are back in his bio, and they have a video on their website with the three others talking about Season 2, then saying they have to tell Q and reveal he was sleeping on a park bench behind them.

If you can't trust professional practical jokers to be truthful with you, who can you trust?

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

22nd Jun 2012 at 10:34 am

I aim to misbehave

Yeah, we've been had. He is on Season 2 of Impractical Jokers. "Dancing Monkey" and "Tenderloin" are back in his bio, and they have a video on their website with the three others talking about Season 2, then saying they have to tell Q and reveal he was sleeping on a park bench behind them.

If you can't trust professional practical jokers to be truthful with you, who can you trust?

Hah. Well, hopefully he's happy

How about this Jimmy Carr? I reckon Cameron heard an off colour joke about himself, and decided to supervillain down on the comedian.

If Cameron went after every comedian that made a joke about him, he'd have to go after every comedian.

In a way, Jimmy Carr did nothing wrong. An accountant's job is to make sure you're not paying more tax than you need to. So if the accountant said to Carr "You can pay far less tax if you do this, and it's completely legal," of course Carr would say go ahead. Very few people wouldn't. Is it morally wrong? In a way, but degree matters, and Jimmy Carr is not responsible for the billions of pounds the Government loses through schemes like this, he just took advantage of the Government's failure to close such loopholes.

Cameron took the moral high ground, but I'm willing to bet some more skeletons will come tumbling out of the Tory closet because of this. It's already been shown his family have previously made money due to tax havens etc (Straws, if you're reading this, I couldn't really give a good reply on Twitter to your point due to the 140 character limit, and I felt just replying "Yes" wouldn't have been an equal response to your point). And while Cameron commented on Carr's actions being "morally wrong," he failed to do the same when asked about Gary Barlow (who is a Tory supporter and recently OBE'd). I think everyone's being unfair to Jimmy Carr, but first through the door etc*.

That being said, I'm looking forward to 8 out of 10 cats tonight. Already heard on the radio one of the jokes Sean Locke will make about it, and it's pretty good.

* I'm pretty sure I've heard an expression about "First through the door gets shot first or gets bloodied first or something, but I can't remember the rest of the expression. When I Googled "first through the door gets" I just got a lot of searches for people playing games who couldn't get through the first door, which wasn't helpful to me at all. And if your Google search isn't on the first two pages, it probably doesn't exist. So if you know what the expression is, fill it in where I've put etc.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

22nd Jun 2012 at 11:13 am

I aim to misbehave

I just imagine Cameron walking round No.10 saying "This house really needs more glass. I need to see people to throw stones at." There'll almost definitely be people close to Cameron who'll be found to have done the same thing as Carr. Presumably they'll have told Cameron about it over a country supper while their police horses were waiting for them outside.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jun 2012 at 11:20 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

In a way, Jimmy Carr did nothing wrong. An accountant's job is to make sure you're not paying more tax than you need to. So if the accountant said to Carr "You can pay far less tax if you do this, and it's completely legal," of course Carr would say go ahead. Very few people wouldn't. Is it morally wrong? In a way, but degree matters, and Jimmy Carr is not responsible for the billions of pounds the Government loses through schemes like this, he just took advantage of the Government's failure to close such loopholes.

Cameron took the moral high ground, but I'm willing to bet some more skeletons will come tumbling out of the Tory closet because of this. It's already been shown his family have previously made money due to tax havens etc (Straws, if you're reading this, I couldn't really give a good reply on Twitter to your point due to the 140 character limit, and I felt just replying "Yes" wouldn't have been an equal response to your point). And while Cameron commented on Carr's actions being "morally wrong," he failed to do the same when asked about Gary Barlow (who is a Tory supporter and recently OBE'd). I think everyone's being unfair to Jimmy Carr, but first through the door etc.

Totally, it's a bit of a jerk move from Carr, but I'm not really bothered. I expect the wealthy to look after themselves, and I certainly would do the same in his position. I find it utterly bizarre that Cameron would do this. Everyone knows that the superrich pay far less as a percentage than the working man, and a lot of us are closer in income to Jimmy Carr than Carr is to the Tory establishment. For David Cameron to try and have the moral highground here is laughable. Any attempts Jimmy Carr's made to gut the NHS have, at least, gone unnoticed.

This is a real indictment of Cameron's Spin Culture. You wouldn't have gotten Churchill giving George Formby the business. Winston had running the country and beating the bosch on his mind.

Maybe not but i think churchill was a racist, overrated sh*thead.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

22nd Jun 2012 at 11:50 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Quote: Rayanne Graff, Jun 2012

Well agreed, mate, but he's an inspiration to Cameron's ilk.

Yeah, that sounds likely.

Also, Baz: i don't think i ever heard of that First through the door expression before. Maybe it's an Irish thing or summat.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

22nd Jun 2012 at 12:08 pm

I aim to misbehave

Well agreed, mate, but he's an inspiration to Cameron's ilk.

Yeah, that sounds likely.

Also, Baz: i don't think i ever heard of that First through the door expression before. Maybe it's an Irish thing or summat.

Found it, it's from the film 'Moneyball' (which is a damn excellent film). "I know you are taking it in the teeth, but the first guy through the wall... he always gets bloody... always."

Reading that, I'm not sure if it's applicable to what I was saying, but basically that they'll pick on Jimmy Carr because his name was mentioned first about it. But he's not the only one to have done it, probably isn't the most high-profile person to have done it, and probably didn't do it as much as richer people who've done it. But they'll pick on him for now anyway

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

22nd Jun 2012 at 1:39 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: the doc, Jun 2012
Far be it from me to side with an a*sehole like Jimmy Carr, but the idea of David Cameron questioning anybody else's morals is so f*cking ludicrous that I don't even know what to say about it.

Which is exactly his biggest failing. He's as morally bankrupt as most rich tax-dodging, corrupt businessman profiteering off anyone so long as they stay just inside the lines of the law, yet he doesn't realise it. He thinks he's better than everyone else. He's the type of guy that would say people shouldn't drink and drive, yet it's okay when he does it because it would have been rude not to have 5 glasses of wine with his dinner

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

27th Jun 2012 at 10:45 am

I aim to misbehave

You listened to the latest TESD yet, lad?

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

27th Jun 2012 at 1:39 pm

I aim to misbehave

You listened to the latest TESD yet, lad?

Yeah, liked it. Didn't quite let the audience in on the joke for a while, but totally worth it when Walt finally went "How the f*ck are they number one?!" after an episode of 'trying to be happy for them'.

I listened to the Mark Hamill Fatman yesterday. Which was very good, for the most part, apart from Smith's inability to read his guests complete aversion to even hearing the words 'Star Wars.' Very, very untactful, I swear I could hear Mark cringe when Kevin asked him if Darth Vader could beat Batman after two hours of his guest changing the subject any time anything slight Lucas related came up.

I've listened to the ending of that TESD several times now. Brilliant. I knew the positivity wouldn't last, especially if Ming had been in the next episode. Walt's turn was just brilliant though.

Agree about FoB too. Smith is a terrible interviewer. Focuses too much on little things and jumps over huge things. Barely any discussion on the Arkham games (the ending of the second one would have made for a very interesting discussion about the Joker), and like you said, kept hinting towards Star Wars even though in the first part when talking about Hamill's career before Joker, they skipped over Star Wars (likely Mark Hamill asked beforehand not to talk about it). Joker is far more interesting than any Star Wars stuff anyway.

Kinda gone off Kevin Smith a lot lately. Still love the films, but he's just a pinball these days (not a fat joke). He's just bouncing from one thing to another, setting off flashing lights, then running away from it and hitting something else. Last May when he set up S.I.R, he was meant to be doing a 2 hour show with his wife, then a 2 hour show with Jay. Then after a while they made it a 2 hour show sometimes with Jay, sometimes with his wife. Then people needed to start covering for him because he was away. Then he barely did any shows for months. Then he came back for about 2 or 3 weeks. Then he launched S.I.T, which I can see will probably go the way of S.I.R in as much as he'll do it when he can, and it'll be other people on the network who really keep it running. Now he seems to be gone again.

Plus, how long do we have to wait for The Widening Gyre Vol.2? Vol.1 finished two years ago. Another thing fallen by the wayside. And he's been missing Hollywood Babble-On a lot lately (thank f*ck for Ralph keeping it going, and even more thank f*ck for him not asking Catherine Reitman to guest host again as she's just beyond awful).

Then he has his new show, Spoilers. Haven't seen any of it, but from what I've heard, he's meant to see a film with a bunch of people, then they discuss it. But the show also has cartoon clips from HBO. And a segment with Malcolm Ingram. And a segment with Jay. And interviewing a celebrity guest. All in a half hour show. You're barely going to get any real discussion with the audience.

I dunno. He's really pinballing at the minute. If he could focus on one or two things and set them up properly. Realise his limits too. His next film could be years off with the way things are going, and if it's his last film, he should focus on it.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

20th Jul 2012 at 10:07 am

I aim to misbehave

Listened to the latest We Hate Movies. Pretty good actually, might get some of the older ones. Still haven't checked out My Brother, My Brother and Me because I can never remember the name of it. I'll try check it out though.

Another new one I've started is 'About Last Night', by Brad Williams (midget that was on Hollywood Babble-On a few times) and some other guy. Pretty good, though I'd have to listen to more of it to properly judge

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

20th Jul 2012 at 10:21 am

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Tyres, Jul 2012
Quote: Drew Brees, Jul 2012
Listened to the latest We Hate Movies. Pretty good actually, might get some of the older ones.

The Spawn one? They had a different contributor who really changed up the energy, so it was one of their rare misfires for me. Still, that means that the others are going to be even better for you.

Quote:
Still haven't checked out My Brother, My Brother and Me because I can never remember the name of it. I'll try check it out though.

It's great. I convulsed laughing putting my key in the door for the last one, I almost had to sit down.

Quote:
Another new one I've started is 'About Last Night', by Brad Williams (midget that was on Hollywood Babble-On a few times) and some other guy. Pretty good, though I'd have to listen to more of it to properly judge

I heard him on a Doug Loves Movies as well as his first Babble-On experience. He does seem quite funny.

TESD's on a good run, actually. They haven't let the shooting for Comic Book Men get in the way of podding, it seems. I've just downloaded the latest, so I'll see if that contintued. I enjoyed Flanagan on the Batman podcast, that sh*t was neat, as was the Bruce Timm one which I'm halfway through.

I almost rendered that word as 'sageloaded' because I'm a horrible prick.

Spawn one did dip in places, but overall (possibly largely due to the source material of Spawn) I thought it was pretty funny.

Halfway through the latest TESD, pretty good so far. Walt has just been on amazing form lately. It gives me great hopes for Comic Book Men season 2.

Did you hear there will most likely be a Hollywood Babble-On TV show? Don't know if it's tv or web-tv like Hulu or Netflix, but they're close to agreeing to something

Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...
Πανδώρα: MUHAHAHAHAHA!
IGH: And so it ends
Captain Spiky: I've just been loving life, going through the photos in the Meets gallery. so many awesome people that I loved hanging out with

Page: