Fitness Thread

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

28th Oct 2008 at 10:46 am

learrggh -

Got what I think is sciatica, again.
Really painful to stand up straight or walk around.
Not sure what you're supposed to do about it, apart from take painkillers and take it easy.

Can't believe my half term's gonna be ruined by this.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

28th Oct 2008 at 6:59 pm

Chris Kamara -

Taking pain killers and taking it easy sounds a good plan.

I did back and legs today, it was pretty damn sh*te. The worst workout in weeks, to be honest, didn't help that I had a sore throat annoying me all the time, and very little energy due to working none stop all day.

Tomorrow, however, is biceps, and it will be a tremendous workout.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

28th Oct 2008 at 9:34 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

25 miles combined bike and walking today, before having to pack a 3 day, 140 mile bike ride. More in the other thread.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

28th Oct 2008 at 10:00 pm

Dissimulation -

Did 4 miles yesterday (the first 1.5miles inside the armed services time), played football tonight and then jogged home afterwards. Unfortunately, now I've got major pain in the arch of my left foot. It's been there on and off for the last week or so and it's not gone away. First instincts is it's a Calcaneal Spur, or possibly Plantar Fasciitis. It feels more like the first from doing the pressure tests on my foot, but I'm no doctor so if I can't clear it up with ice, then I'm gonna have to go to the GP

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

29th Oct 2008 at 6:31 pm

Chris Kamara -

You gonna go down the GP mate?

I did biceps today, as planned. It went okay, not as good as last week. I'm not sure what's up with me. I think I'm annoyed at not eating enough protein, so my gains are miniscule if anything, which is a bit off-putting. I've just come into a bit of money though so I might get some more protein shakes and hit them hard.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

30th Oct 2008 at 7:09 pm

Chris Kamara -

Today started as a chest workout, which went okay, but then turned into the best tricep workout I have had for ages. Trained my triceps earlier in the week, and I think training them twice a week is definitely required, similarly training my chest and biceps twice a week will be beneficial as well. I've found I can work these muscle as hard as possible and they will be fine to work again 3-4 days later, and not 5 as I had thought.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

30th Oct 2008 at 7:10 pm

Chris Kamara -

Oh yeah, ordered new protein stuff as well. Didn't bother re-ordering Hot Rox though. I found it initially helped but then after a week/10 days, didn't have any effect. It may be that pro-longed use is what is needed, but it's too expensive for me to find out.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

1st Nov 2008 at 1:50 am

learrggh -

I think the sciatica is gone.
Much faster than last time.

My family might be getting an exercise bike soon, quite excited about that... a very easy way to keep fit.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

3rd Nov 2008 at 6:55 pm

Chris Kamara -

Good stuff Phil; seems to be going well.

I did biceps and triceps today. It went okay; I'm starting to slowly lower the amount of reps in favour of increased weight. Emphasis on slowly. It's working I think, because I was lifting heavier weights than normal towards the end of my session when my muscles are usually exhausted.

Chest tomorrow, and shoulders probably.

Really going to make a better effort with the diet and cardio. I'm absolutely sh*te at sticking at them. I'm going to try and have a decent breakfast every morning - which means getting up earlier - including a protein shake, as well as a protein shake before bed. Sarah usually has my tea ready as soon as I get in (normally something meat-based as well) so at least I get some protein straight after a session.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

3rd Nov 2008 at 9:13 pm

Dissimulation -

3-4 decent cardio sessions a week and cutting out most of the excess from your diet, and you'd probably have it nailed mate. If you were to do an extra 30 minutes on the cross-trainer, every two days and football on a Sunday, that's probably all you'd need. And a few high-intensity sets of skipping thrown in for good measure.

With the diet side of things, a lot of people get into the mindset where it's all or nothing and they deprive themselves of all the things they like. Anybody who goes into a diet with that attitude will last a matter of weeks with it. Just cut out the excessively bad stuff and you'll be sound. I reckon your metabolism should already be high enough that you'd just need to eat slightly more balanced and add a little bit of cardio to your regime and your body fat percentage will go down like a fat b*tch on the pie man.  

I did another 4.5 mile run today. Weighed myself and I'm now 13 and a half stone. I am f*cking stoked with that. This year I have now shed 50lbs all in all and I'm just over 10 weeks as a non-smoker. In the same 10 weeks, I've managed to get myself from not being able to run 2 minutes without having to stop and walk, to being able to do 10k again. I look and feel better than I've done in years too, so I feel really happy with it all today.    

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

3rd Nov 2008 at 9:24 pm

Chris Kamara -

Bloody hell 13.5 stone, that's astounding. Cracking progress that, mate. Really good.

I just had one of my new protein shakes. They taste sh*t. Also, they're as thick as Ready Brek when made according to the tub. If they tasted like Ready Brek I wouldn't mind as much. Fact is, they taste like a tramp's shoe.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

3rd Nov 2008 at 9:59 pm

Chris Kamara -

Haha can't say I blame you. I've had much better ones in the past, but usually when I've had more money. Gone for a cheaper option this time around, and while the nutrients are high, it's the taste that's suffered. Ah well, I shalln't waste a drop.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

4th Nov 2008 at 1:31 am

Dissimulation -

Quote: farmer_jack
Bloody hell 13.5 stone, that's astounding. Cracking progress that, mate. Really good.

Cheers, squire.
I still get the odd craving for a cigarette, but they're few and far between now. Diet wise, I'm even less strict than I was at the start. For example, my lunch today consisted oftwo chicken, bacon, cheese, and tomato paninis - with a bit of mayo. F*ck all this calorie counting, low-carb and Cambridge diet b*ll*cks.

In fact, f*ck small portions too. I have massive plates of curry, bolognese, shepherd's pie, roast dinners, mashed spuds and fish and I'm still loosing weight. It frustrates me when I see people desperate to lose weight, resorting to starving themselves, or depriving themselves of every last item of food they used to enjoy. If they torture themselves, they're only going to give up again in a couple weeks when they inevitably fall off the wagon.

When I was at my heaviest, I was pretty damn good at avoiding having my picture taken. Unfortunately, one or two sneaked through, so I've put together a little before and after image of myself to prove that if there's anybody else reading this who's not happy with their weight, it really can be done.

The photo in the middle, is an extremely ugly and un-flattering image of myself, at my neice's christening, circa June 2008. The outside image is me, as of about 20 minutes ago. Also 50 lbs lighter. It still pains me to post that picture as it shows just how f*cking disgusting I had become, but f*ck it, here it is.

Edited by Dissimulation Nov 2008

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

4th Nov 2008 at 1:50 am

Outside-left

Quote: Dissimulation
3-4 decent cardio sessions a week and cutting out most of the excess from your diet, and you'd probably have it nailed mate. If you were to do an extra 30 minutes on the cross-trainer, every two days and football on a Sunday, that's probably all you'd need. And a few high-intensity sets of skipping thrown in for good measure.

With the diet side of things, a lot of people get into the mindset where it's all or nothing and they deprive themselves of all the things they like. Anybody who goes into a diet with that attitude will last a matter of weeks with it. Just cut out the excessively bad stuff and you'll be sound. I reckon your metabolism should already be high enough that you'd just need to eat slightly more balanced and add a little bit of cardio to your regime and your body fat percentage will go down like a fat b*tch on the pie man.  

I did another 4.5 mile run today. Weighed myself and I'm now 13 and a half stone. I am f*cking stoked with that. This year I have now shed 50lbs all in all and I'm just over 10 weeks as a non-smoker. In the same 10 weeks, I've managed to get myself from not being able to run 2 minutes without having to stop and walk, to being able to do 10k again. I look and feel better than I've done in years too, so I feel really happy with it all today.    

Excellent work mate, some proper determination and commitment there. I'm also 13.5st at the moment, so a man of your height and broadness will look f*cking pumped up at that type of weight

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

4th Nov 2008 at 4:25 pm

TinyShine -

Wow, Jamie, that's good going! Just goes to show what will power and determination can do! You're looking good! (I don't mean that in a creepy way, as i am a married lady !)

Sarah xx

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

4th Nov 2008 at 4:50 pm

Dissimulation -

I thought about it, but the picture of fat me was cropped from a picture full of other people, so was too small.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Nov 2008 at 7:03 pm

Chris Kamara -

Looking good James. Take that how you wish.

I did chest and shoulders today; best shoulder workout for a while. Chest workout was the same as usual; gonna start doing some weighted push-ups to help my chest workouts.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

4th Nov 2008 at 7:07 pm

Dissimulation -

Well, I briefly considered issuing a fatwā.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

4th Nov 2008 at 8:46 pm

Outside-left

Jamie i'm still amazed at your progress. It's absolutely astonishing what you've achieved in 4-5 months. Best of luck when it comes to maintaining it

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

4th Nov 2008 at 8:51 pm

Tobias Fünke  - I blue myself.

I blue myself.

I'm starting from today. The whole drug-taking-for-cash thing meant I couldn't do any for the last month, which is annoying. Onwards and upwards.

Looking at Jamie's progess is inspiring. Good darts, Osborne.
Analrapist.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

5th Nov 2008 at 11:54 am

Chris Kamara -

Went down the gym early today 'cos it's my day off; did a few sit-ups for a change, a few weights (not as much as usual) and for once I did some cardio... 2k on the rowing machine. Or 1.2 miles if you prefer.

At 1k I thought about stopping, but I carried on and by 2k I felt I could have done more. Next time I go in I'm gonna try and do 2.5k on it and see how I get on.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

8th Nov 2008 at 5:38 pm

Dissimulation -

12k/7.4 mile lap of the town. I must admit, my preparation for this was awful. Got in from town last night at 3am, got up at 12 and had just 1 glass of water and a bowl of cereal before going out this afternoon. By the fourth mile I was starting to get a little deyhydrated, but I dug deep and nailed the distance in 1hr 15.

Great little circuit that, 1st mile and a 1/2 is solid uphill, so by the time I got up there I was already about ready to pack it in.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

8th Nov 2008 at 5:56 pm

learrggh -

Got my mum helping me cut down on my alcohol intake.

PowerGirl

| 3 posts

9th Nov 2008 at 2:51 am

VR kicks ass!

Eat smart!!

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

9th Nov 2008 at 3:01 am

learrggh -

But don't feed the trolls.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

9th Nov 2008 at 11:39 pm

Chris Kamara -

Just realised I haven't posted an updated image for a while, so here one is:

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.com/resources/uploads/updatedfitnessimage.jpg]

Not been at the gym for 4 days for one reason or another; back down there tomorrow though for biceps and triceps and a decent cardio workout.

Πανδώρα

| 15,329 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 12:13 am

Πανδώρα -

this thread makes me realise 2 things:

1. i am incredibly lazy.

2. i am very very fat.

will i do anything about it?
no. reason? see number 1

idiot ¬_¬
*burp*

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 12:29 am

learrggh -

Not been at the gym for 4 days for one reason or another; back down there tomorrow though for biceps and triceps and a decent cardio workout.

STOP WORKING OUT YOUR NECK MUSCLES CHAP.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 12:38 am

Chris Kamara -

It is true. My problem tends to lie with getting the lions on the bus in the first place, however. The price of public transport has gone up remarkably in recent months.

As for neck muscles, I've barely done that much to it lately! It must just be the light in the photo.

I've just found out about a new way to hit the chest. I've always gone by the rule of 20 minutes of weight lifting, minimum, before cardio work to make burning fat more effective. However, apparently, when it comes to working the chest, it's best to do some intense (but short) cardio work and then hit the chest with flies in order to gain size. Something about increase blood flow. Also, stretching the chest as much as possible between sets is another tip.

I've not yet put this into practice; I will on Tuesday though. I'll post up how it goes after a month or so.

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 9:50 am

TinyShine -

Quote: ApologeticSquirrel

STOP WORKING OUT YOUR NECK MUSCLES CHAP.  

Thank you!!!

I tell him to leave off the shoulders and neck all the time....But he doesn't listen to his little wifey !

Sarah xx

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 10:13 am

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

does it matter when you go to the gym? I've been told that you should do a day on/day off but with my work hours I could probably only do friday evening, saturday morning and sunday morning. I'm mostly looking to lose weight so I do mostly cardio, but I do a few weights too.
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 3:09 pm

Dissimulation -

Quote: Paddy_Irishman
does it matter when you go to the gym? I've been told that you should do a day on/day off but with my work hours I could probably only do friday evening, saturday morning and sunday morning. I'm mostly looking to lose weight so I do mostly cardio, but I do a few weights too.

If you're concentrating on weight loss, any amount of exercise is going to be beneficial. Personally, I'd only bother with paying out gym fees if I was looking to pack on some muscle. Anything else can be done under your own steam, for a fraction of the cost.

All you need is a pair of running shoes, some free weights, a balanced diet and a positive attitude.

I know a lot of people don't like jogging, especially on the roads, but there is no better exercise for weight loss. It's simply a case of weighing up whether you dislike running more than you dislike being overweight.

In my opinion http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=30 is the best place to start. If you're not used to running, the step ups can seem hard at first, but anyone could do that if they really wanted too.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 3:17 pm

I aim to misbehave

I cant really run too much cos apparantly I tend to run using the outside of my feet, meaning my shins get sore very quickly. Thats what the trainer at the gym told me when I told her I was having trouble with the treadmill. So she has me doing weights (mostly leg weights) for the 15 minutes I would have been running for. The rest of the cardio is fine (rowing machine, cross-trainer, bike) but the treadmill (and running/walking for long periods) absolutely f*cks me to be honest

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 3:32 pm

Dissimulation -

Have you considered custom orthotics, or a new pair of running shoes? It'd be a bit more expensive, but in some shops they'll put you on a treadmill first and get the measure of your running gait before helping you find the right pair of shoes.

In a lot of cases, the shin pain is where your calf muscle is expanding into the gap between your fibula and tibia. A good way to remedy this is calf raises, but ultimately, if other forms of cardio are easier for you then it's all good.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 3:37 pm

I aim to misbehave

I think I'd rather run in my socks than try and buy a pair of runners and be told "Right, up on the treadmill til we all watch you run!"

I would like to build a bit of muscle as well as the cardio so I think the plan I'm on (was on, havent been in about 6 months due to college/unemployment/employment)

Definately going back this weekend. If I dont start back soon I never will. Time to turn this 17.5 stone into 17.5 large pebbles

Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...
Πανδώρα: MUHAHAHAHAHA!
IGH: And so it ends
Captain Spiky: I've just been loving life, going through the photos in the Meets gallery. so many awesome people that I loved hanging out with

Page: