Fitness Thread

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

13th Oct 2008 at 8:56 pm

Chris Kamara -

Haha, too right you will. Imagine how you'll be come 6 months time

I'm trying to look really far down the line, for long term results, but it's not easy when you're as impatient as I am. I want it all yesterday.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

14th Oct 2008 at 12:19 pm

learrggh -

Got put on temazepam and oh dear lord what the f*ck was that last night. Kept waking up, hallucinating, getting sleep paralysis and then going back to sleep. Scary stuff.

No drinking for me this week, though. Wonder how I'll cope with that.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

15th Oct 2008 at 8:16 am

learrggh -

Quote: the_doc
Quote: ApologeticSquirrel
Got put on temazepam and oh dear lord what the f*ck was that last night. Kept waking up, hallucinating, getting sleep paralysis and then going back to sleep. Scary stuff.

No drinking for me this week, though. Wonder how I'll cope with that.

That stuff is f*cking powerful. Good fun though

Unfortunately it's actually doing sh*t all. I felt nothing last night and am still not sleeping. Wah.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

15th Oct 2008 at 8:26 am

Tobias Fünke  - I blue myself.

I blue myself.

Diazepam + alcohol will do the job. I can vouch for this*.

*You may not remember how you ended up in Chorlton at 3am, but you'll sleep well. Very well.
Analrapist.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

15th Oct 2008 at 8:33 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

40 shoulder presses @ 32.5kg
20 chest presses @ 27.5kg (chest was sore beforehand, hence lack of)
15 tricep dips @ 45kg assist
20 pull ups @ 45kg assist
12:30 on the cross trainer, level 5, no distance clock

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

15th Oct 2008 at 9:07 pm

learrggh -

Quote: the_doc
Quote: Look_Dad_No_Tunes
Diazepam + alcohol will do the job. I can vouch for this*.

*You may not remember how you ended up in Chorlton at 3am, but you'll sleep well. Very well.

What he said. Tis a lovely combination and the sleep is grand, but the holes it leaves in your memory can be pretty scary when you wake up with holes in your clothes and a half-smoked fag hanging out of your month, wondering what the f*ck you've been doing all night

Temazepam + alcohol is what I am trying tonight.

I went to the doctor and told him it wasn't working and he told me to have a 'milky drink before bedtime'.

I f*cking kid you not.

I told him I was already doing that, and he just stared at me.

Taptaptap, so I check what he's writing on his computer, and here it is - 'Prescription: Advised to take a milky drink before bedtime.'

I tell him again I'm already doing that, and he just looks a bit sheepish and stares at me til I lose patience and leave.

I'm changing surgeries.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

17th Oct 2008 at 5:19 pm

Chris Kamara -

Had a good session at the gym today; gave my arms and chest a decent pounding.
[http://munfitnessblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/decline-dumbbell-press.jpg]

That's my new favourite exercise. Trouble is, I can't do it for long because the blood goes to my head very quickly. I reckon I could do 24kg in each hand with good form, but I've just been doing 16kg because I'm a bit apprehensive about the wobbly bench I use.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

17th Oct 2008 at 9:24 pm

learrggh -

Quote: farmer_jack
Had a good session at the gym today; gave my arms and chest a decent pounding.
[http://munfitnessblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/decline-dumbbell-press.jpg]

That's my new favourite exercise. Trouble is, I can't do it for long because the blood goes to my head very quickly. I reckon I could do 24kg in each hand with good form, but I've just been doing 16kg because I'm a bit apprehensive about the wobbly bench I use.

There's summat wrong with that chap's ankles.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

20th Oct 2008 at 12:54 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

I need to get rid of stomach flab. There is a layer and if I'm laughing or something you can feel the muscle underneath, which makes me think that if I got rid of it then I'd be nice and toned. Maybe.

I've been going swimming once a week (40-45 minutes/40 lengths) and should be able to get back into the routine of kickboxing twice a week (instead of the measly once I've been managing) as of this week... What else could be done? (That doesn't involve jogging and/or gym based exercises. I fricking hate the gym). I'm also attempting to ration the chocolate/snacking intake.
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

20th Oct 2008 at 12:56 pm

Outside-left

Quote: illusiveshadow
I need to get rid of stomach flab. There is a layer and if I'm laughing or something you can feel the muscle underneath, which makes me think that if I got rid of it then I'd be nice and toned. Maybe.

I've been going swimming once a week (40-45 minutes/40 lengths) and should be able to get back into the routine of kickboxing twice a week (instead of the measly once I've been managing) as of this week... What else could be done? (That doesn't involve jogging and/or gym based exercises. I fricking hate the gym). I'm also attempting to ration the chocolate/snacking intake.

before i even got to your second paragraph, the words, 'you eat chocolate every day' were on the end of my fingertips.

you hate the gym, so have you thought about getting yourself a cheapish exercise bike or stairmaster? stairmaster has the benefit of toning your legs at the same time as giving you a basic cardio.workout.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

20th Oct 2008 at 1:08 pm

Get your Antlers on

It'd have to be pretty compact as well. Student, inner city house = not a lot of spare room anywhere! Best bet would be floor exercises and that as there's just enough room to do stuff like that in my bedroom. I know basic ones from kickboxing warm ups (jogging/running on the spot, jack jumps, punching, etc, while moving forward) but they concentrate more on improving strength and flexibility once you're warm, and things like sit-ups and press ups don't actually burn off fat do they? So any more cardio-vascular orientated exercise suggestions would be great!

I love dance mats but it frustrates me that it takes about an hour to burn about 100 calories in fast mode... I may try and find a way into the loft (the handle came off the door so it's impossible to open!) to find the old PS1/dance mats sometime even so!!
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

20th Oct 2008 at 1:34 pm

Get your Antlers on

And knock out everyone in the vicinity when you get a bit too into the dancing and they fly out of your hands? (No, seriously, that is the sort of thing I'd managed to do!)

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

21st Oct 2008 at 7:30 am

learrggh -

Been doing my ballet barre and suchlike, really starting to notice an improvement in my leg strength in terms of the height of my extensions and such.

I'm not sure how to measure success of stretching out my hips, which I've been trying a lot harder at this week, as I'm fed up of having rubbish posture and being unable to do a pretty arabesque.

Plus if I ever want to get my splits hip flexibility is really important.

I cut out caffeine last week because I couldn't sleep - it was only a glass of Pepsi in the morning but I have to try everything and I'd been meaning to cut it out anyway. Slipped up this morning but I have a long day ahead today and it's likely I'll need an extra buzz since I don't think I can continue taking Concerta with the side effects it has.

I think my aim should be to be ready to go back to dance classes by the new year. That seems fair - my main concern now is to make sure I take everything slowly.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

21st Oct 2008 at 8:54 pm

Dissimulation -

How tall are you George?

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

21st Oct 2008 at 11:11 pm

Chris Kamara -

George, you need to eat less saturated fats and do more exercise. You don't need to know a lot about the gym or what to do when you're there. All you need to know is that if you regularly burn more energy than what you used to, the weight will start to shift. And given your age, and weight, the fat should begin to come off relatively quickly, which will help you to focus on your goal.

Using weight resistance machines will also help to burn fat. Consult a member of staff in the gym to help with that. It's all well and good me giving you weight lifting tips but if you don't have the right equipment in your gym then it's of no use. Speak up and ask questions when you get there and, in time, you'll make progress.

My advice to you would be to get to the gym when you can and do what you're happy doing - don't p*ss yourself off by doing more exercise than you feel like doing, and ensure you watch what you eat. If you're not prepared to knock the junk food on the head - or at least diminish it tremendously - then results will struggle to come. Your body needs the right fuel to make progress, whether it's to burn fat or to build muscle.

Replace unhealthy foods with healthy foods; don't just remove unhealthy foods from your diet and have nothing in their place. It's all about what you put in that determines what you get out.

Something you might find helpful is to make a note of what you've done each day in the gym. If you've managed 5 minutes on the rowing machine, write it down. Next time you go in, you'll know what you did last time and you'll want to try and beat it. Go prepared too; take yourself a towel, a drink and make sure you get a good rest in between sessions. If you hit a machine while you're still out of breath, you won't be able to give it your all.

Good luck and try not to worry about what other people are doing in the gym. I can assure you that they don't give a damn about what you're doing. It's a long and winding road, but you've got to start somewhere.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

21st Oct 2008 at 11:19 pm

learrggh -

Quote: farmer_jack
George, you need to eat less saturated fats and do more exercise. You don't need to know a lot about the gym or what to do when you're there. All you need to know is that if you regularly burn more energy than what you used to, the weight will start to shift. And given your age, and weight, the fat should begin to come off relatively quickly, which will help you to focus on your goal.

Using weight resistance machines will also help to burn fat. Consult a member of staff in the gym to help with that. It's all well and good me giving you weight lifting tips but if you don't have the right equipment in your gym then it's of no use. Speak up and ask questions when you get there and, in time, you'll make progress.

My advice to you would be to get to the gym when you can and do what you're happy doing - don't p*ss yourself off by doing more exercise than you feel like doing, and ensure you watch what you eat. If you're not prepared to knock the junk food on the head - or at least diminish it tremendously - then results will struggle to come. Your body needs the right fuel to make progress, whether it's to burn fat or to build muscle.

Replace unhealthy foods with healthy foods; don't just remove unhealthy foods from your diet and have nothing in their place. It's all about what you put in that determines what you get out.

Something you might find helpful is to make a note of what you've done each day in the gym. If you've managed 5 minutes on the rowing machine, write it down. Next time you go in, you'll know what you did last time and you'll want to try and beat it. Go prepared too; take yourself a towel, a drink and make sure you get a good rest in between sessions. If you hit a machine while you're still out of breath, you won't be able to give it your all.

Good luck and try not to worry about what other people are doing in the gym. I can assure you that they don't give a damn about what you're doing. It's a long and winding road, but you've got to start somewhere.

martin knows his stuff, innit.

my best advice is to pace yourself. boring as it is, making slow general lifestyle changes are better in the long run than crash diets, and you're less likely to drop back into bad habits and burn yourself out before you can make real progress.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

22nd Oct 2008 at 10:46 am

Get your Antlers on

Quote: Enigmatic_Shrew
Right, I've ignored this thread till now. But I've just weighed myself and I need to lose weight. I have no idea where to begin, I'm a very unfit, unhealthy person. The only thing I will say is I don't and haven't ever smoked.
Any suggestions on how to start? I'm going to join the uni gym but I don't know where to begin there or anything.

I weigh 17.8 stone, feel free to laugh, I'm a fool.

I realise this post might look like I'm fishing for sympathy/compliments, I'm really not

Also, don't think that the gym is the only source of exercise you can get. They're not for everyone- personally I'm really bad at pushing myself to do something when it's starting to hurt/I'm getting tired, which means I never really get much done if I go to the gym. I'm much better going to organised classes where there's someone there telling you what to do and you can't really stop (or, you can, but people notice). Or maybe find a 'gym buddy' or 'exercise buddy' who is in a similar position to you fitness-wise (no point going for a fitness freak, that'll just demotivate you more if you start comparing yourself to them) and you can both motivate one another to go. If you're letting someone down by not going, it makes you more likely to go, and also means that you push one another to stay longer and do more exercise and not give up too quickly.

Also, apparently you have to do stuff 3 times a week for it to become habit. Set aside a day and time to go and it'll become routine (if your timetable allows this).

Anyway, once you've started going to the gym or doing other sports, you'll find a way of working that suits you the best, that you can stick to and keep building on.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

22nd Oct 2008 at 9:45 pm

Outside-left

50 shoulder press @ 32.5kg
30 chest press @ 27.5kg
(chin up and tricep dip machine was broken)
3 miles on cross trainer, level 5 resistance, which took 24:31.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

22nd Oct 2008 at 10:54 pm

Chris Kamara -

I've just been ticking over at the gym, no real gains lately, so I'm addressing that by starting a new program, training certain areas on separate days. My muscles should be so sore afterwards that I won't physically be able to train them again for several days after, and I intend to leave them for at least 5 days to recover.

I'm also going to set to work on my stomach muscles. That should please Sarah more than the shoulders.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

23rd Oct 2008 at 7:12 pm

Chris Kamara -

Hit my biceps today, the best workout I've had in ages. Can't wait to get back tomorrow. Won't be doing my biceps again until mid next week. Couldn't even lift 10kg in each hand when I'd finished.

I'm putting the finishing touches to my weekly routine as we speak, but it'll probably change after a week of doing it. I'll give it until Christmas before I have a look at my progress and see how I've come on.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

23rd Oct 2008 at 7:20 pm

Bent leg back, bent leg forward. Did twice. This is a successful session

Weight is now 87kg (13st something), and still beyond explanation.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

24th Oct 2008 at 10:49 pm

Chris Kamara -

In a twist to my new schedule, I had to knock the gym on the head today 'cos I had to get home as my wife was on the radio. However, I'll be in at the gym tomorrow instead.

My new schedule basically is 4 days on and 3 days rest. I tw*tted my biceps yesterday, as I said, and they're still hurting now, so I'm hoping the same will be said of every muscle this time next week.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

25th Oct 2008 at 12:07 am

Outside-left

20 x shoulder press @ 37.5kg
30 x shoulder press @ 32.5kg
30 x chest press @ 27.5kg (i think. maybe 32.5kg but i can't be sure)
3.5 miles on cross trainer on level 8 resistance in 26:34, mightly pleased with that.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

25th Oct 2008 at 9:52 pm

Dissimulation -

50 minute run this afternoon in the New Forest (8.5k exactly). To be honest, I reckon I had enough in the tank to have stretched it to 10k, but it getting dark by that point and it's a fair drive home.

I've been a little bit liberal with my food intake, though. Yesterday I had cereal for breakfast, a large homemade Shepherd's pie for lunch, a cheese and ham omlette with mash potato and salad for tea, then on top of that two ciabatta bruschettas, a whispa bar and a generous supply of vodka.

Today I had a surf n turf pub lunch and a chicken tikka and salad baguette with pickled onion monster munch just now. I guess it was fair enough to have a couple days of eating whatever as a reward for making it 2 calendar months cold turkey on the cancer sticks.  

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

26th Oct 2008 at 9:52 am

Chris Kamara -

Did chest and shoulders yesterday for an hour and 20 minutes and came out pretty annoyed that I didn't feel the same burning that I did in my biceps the other day. However, my shoulders feel sore-ish this morning, and my chest feels a bit tighter, so I'm a little happier.

Triceps on Monday, looking forward to that.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

27th Oct 2008 at 7:06 pm

Chris Kamara -

Nice one Phil, best of luck there.

Triceps it was for me, today. It went ok but the gym was pretty busy. I got my session done but don't feel too sore yet (similar situation to the chest the other day). Hopefully I'll feel it tomorrow.

Tomorrow is back and stomach, I think. Two pretty crap parts of me, to be honest.

Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...
Πανδώρα: MUHAHAHAHAHA!
IGH: And so it ends
Captain Spiky: I've just been loving life, going through the photos in the Meets gallery. so many awesome people that I loved hanging out with

Page: