Fitness Thread

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

30th Sept 2008 at 10:33 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: Dissimulation
An hour and 10 minutes of 6-a-side football for me, tonight.  
I say 6-a-side; what with the footie on TV, 2 lads working out of town and the p*ssing rain, we just about scraped together a 4 against 3.

It was a cracking game and an even better work-out. 3/4 of a mile jog back to mine afterwards without even feeling slightly uncomfortable. Pleased as f*ck with how much fitter I'm getting.  

Hard work always pays off

I've done a fair few sit-ups tonight; gonna do them every day now, it's easy enough on the rug while TV adverts are on or whatever.

I'm also going to be doing the dishes every night, but that's part of a different conversation entirely.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

1st Oct 2008 at 12:15 am

Dissimulation -

Quote: Squirrell_of_Doom
Right, im gonna force myself to go running tomorrow after lectures.

Or would it be better if went on the cross trainer to begin with?

Im so out of the loop on cardio - i used to do exercise bike for about 40 minutes, but the bike here is f*cking dreadful.

Unless you've got problems with your knees or ankles, I wouldn't start with the cross-trainer. Get some decent running shoes and go for it mate.

The hardest bit is to haul a*s out the door. The rest is easy and a lot less boring.  

Even better, the on-site gym is fitting a TV and hifi soon.  I run and cycle alot further when not bored out of my skull from staring at a wall.

Definitely. Or better yet, whack some decent tracks on an mp3 player if you feel like heading out onto the streets.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

1st Oct 2008 at 12:25 am

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Right, im gonna force myself to go running tomorrow after lectures.

Or would it be better if went on the cross trainer to begin with?

Im so out of the loop on cardio - i used to do exercise bike for about 40 minutes, but the bike here is f*cking dreadful.

Unless you've got problems with your knees or ankles, I wouldn't start with the cross-trainer. Get some decent running shoes and go for it mate.

The hardest bit is to haul a*s out the door. The rest is easy and a lot less boring.  

Even better, the on-site gym is fitting a TV and hifi soon.  I run and cycle alot further when not bored out of my skull from staring at a wall.

Definitely. Or better yet, whack some decent tracks on an mp3 player if you feel like heading out onto the streets.  

No headphones at the moment. Only pair i've got are back in Leeds, and even then they're the big DJ type ones.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

1st Oct 2008 at 5:29 pm

Outside-left

Quick 30 in the gym today.

15 on weights, 15 on running.

I realise this ain't gonna do much for now, but im so unfit that it's not funny. Gonna do the Alderman Method of increasing each by 20-30 secs a day.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

1st Oct 2008 at 6:47 pm

Dissimulation -

If anyone feels unfit and wants a challenge..
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=30

30 minutes is roughly 5k at a steady jogging pace.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

2nd Oct 2008 at 6:55 pm

Dissimulation -

10 mile circuit today..about 5 1/2 miles running and 4 1/2 walking. Cold as f*ck now, but that was fantastic.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

2nd Oct 2008 at 6:58 pm

Outside-left

Did 25 minutes of steady weights today and 12 minutes running (8 on cross trainer, 4 on treadmill). Felt good afterwards and could have done more running, but i want to stick to only having a small increase per day.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

2nd Oct 2008 at 6:58 pm

Chris Kamara -

Nice one James and Dan. I've not hit the gym for a few days because I've had a cold and a banging head. Bit of a nuisance, but not to worry.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

2nd Oct 2008 at 11:00 pm

Dissimulation -

Did 25 minutes of steady weights today and 12 minutes running (8 on cross trainer, 4 on treadmill).  Felt good afterwards and could have done more running, but i want to stick to only having a small increase per day.

12 minutes is not a bad start after 25 mins on the weights. Personally, I'd listen to your body. If you feel like you could push a bit further with the running, go for it. Obviously don't overdo it at the same time, but it's always good to take it as close to your limit as you can.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

2nd Oct 2008 at 11:33 pm

Outside-left

Did 25 minutes of steady weights today and 12 minutes running (8 on cross trainer, 4 on treadmill).  Felt good afterwards and could have done more running, but i want to stick to only having a small increase per day.

12 minutes is not a bad start after 25 mins on the weights. Personally, I'd listen to your body. If you feel like you could push a bit further with the running, go for it. Obviously don't overdo it at the same time, but it's always good to take it as close to your limit as you can.  

Yeah, good point. I don't know why, but i had loads of energy. Still have too. Tempting to go back down to the gym (its 24hr) and have another go haha.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

2nd Oct 2008 at 11:48 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: biggaginge
Hows that Hot Rox stuff working out fella?

I haven't been taking it lately because I've been full of paracetamol, but it was definitely working. Did you get some?

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

3rd Oct 2008 at 4:16 pm

Chris Kamara -

Green tea is a great drink for helping to burn fat; it helps increase your metabolism, so I'm told. I used to drink it but I bought a box one day and left it in the kitchen at work, then the next day it wasn't there anymore, so I gave up.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

3rd Oct 2008 at 5:15 pm

learrggh -

Um so, just as I decide weight loss isn't the way to go, I step on the scales and I've lost 7lb doing absolutely nothing.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

4th Oct 2008 at 4:36 pm

learrggh -

Quote: Lemony_Zester
I went to beginners' ballet yesterday. So much for "beginners,'" they're starting us at grade 4 which is no good if you know nothing of the terms they're using.

I wish they had a gymnastics group that I could go to

Change clases, nobody should be chucked in at the deep end like that.

You'll end up with sh*tty technique and injuries.

Beware of dolly-dinkle studios who don't treat older beginners seriously and will take your money for rubbish tuition.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Oct 2008 at 6:06 pm

Chris Kamara -

I think green tea is really nice; the stronger the better as well. I'm completely in the minority with that.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

4th Oct 2008 at 6:44 pm

Outside-left

Quote: farmer_jack
I think green tea is really nice; the stronger the better as well. I'm completely in the minority with that.

I'm the same. I love strong green tea. I like to let it cool for about 10 minutes then drink the whole mug in 2 mouthfuls.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Oct 2008 at 6:44 pm

Chris Kamara -

Haha I do exactly the same. Must be a man thing

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Oct 2008 at 9:45 pm

Chris Kamara -

If anyone wants a great workout for building the chest; check this video out:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iP_hfEPfEyU&feature=user

I meant to post it a while ago but forgot all about it. Just started doing these press-ups again and they're damn good.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Oct 2008 at 9:47 pm

Chris Kamara -

Actually while you're on YouTube, check out the rest of that bloke's videos; he's very good. Concentrates a lot on good form, which is important. And he clearly gets results.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Oct 2008 at 9:54 pm

Chris Kamara -

Deffo. With regular press-ups I can do about 50 or so before I start to fail, but with these type of press-ups I can do about 10 and then that's it; the extra 'squeeze' really hits hard on the chest, and the fact that the press-ups are done on fists instead of palm makes it even harder.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

4th Oct 2008 at 9:55 pm

Outside-left

good link marty. nice one.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

4th Oct 2008 at 10:03 pm

Dissimulation -

I'm gonna have to build up my reps doing regular push-ups before attempted those, methinks. There's some useful videos there.

Didn't do the whole 10 mile circuit today because I wanted to be back in time to watch United on Setanta. Did another 5k run in just under 30 minutes, which is still nowhere near as fast as I would like. Admittedly, I probably tired myself because I always try and run the 1st mile and a half within the PJFT for the Navy. Today I actually nailed it, bang on 12 minutes, which I'm pretty pleased with. The PJFT is 12:48 and once in, for over 25's you then have to get it down to 11:38 which I could probably do now if I really pushed it.

That's bare minimum and ideally I want to try and do it around 10 minutes, so I'm gonna have to start adding speedwork to my regime soon I reckon.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Oct 2008 at 10:11 pm

Chris Kamara -

Sh*t hot James. Every time I read your posts about running, it makes me want to go out running. I never do. It p*sses me off! How are you fairing with the weights you bought?

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

4th Oct 2008 at 10:32 pm

Dissimulation -

Sh*t hot James. Every time I read your posts about running, it makes me want to go out running. I never do. It p*sses me off! How are you fairing with the weights you bought?

I'm fairing pretty badly with motivating myself to use them. I'm definitely gonna have to make a point on Monday to hit them every two days minimum and no matter what. I don't want to be like a tank otherwise I won't be able to run, but I definitely want a bit more size, more core strength and to tone up.

I'm using an egg carton under my chest for the press-ups, mainly so I know I'm going down far enough and not cutting any cornes.

I suppose being realistic with my goals has always been my biggest problem. Exactly 6 weeks ago I struggled running to the end of the block, was just over a stone heavier than I am now, had smoked 20+ a day for 7 years, so I suppose I've got to be positive and remind myself that I've already made big steps rather than always criticising myself about what I can't do yet.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

4th Oct 2008 at 10:36 pm

Outside-left

I suppose being realistic with my goals has always been my biggest problem. Exactly 6 weeks ago I struggled running to the end of the block, was just over a stone heavier than I am now, had smoked 20+ a day for 7 years, so I suppose I've got to be positive and remind myself that I've already made big steps rather than always criticising myself about what I can't do yet.

Remember aswell that those are the biggest steps. Everything from here gets easier.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

4th Oct 2008 at 10:43 pm

Dissimulation -

Like Pilates? It could only do good I reckon.
One of the changes I made was to get rid of my comfy recliner (computer chair of choice) and swap it for sitting on an exercise ball. I think though that I need to order a bigger one because this is only a 65 and being more or less 6 foot I could be better off with the 75.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

5th Oct 2008 at 9:35 am

Chris Kamara -

I've been doing tricep extensions all morning and now I can't do a single one because my muscles seize up. Finally my triceps hurt; they're a crap part of my body, always found them hard to build up.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

5th Oct 2008 at 9:51 am

Chris Kamara -

Haha 'cowboy wreckhead' ace. I wish I loved it as well. I'm not really built for distance running to be honest. It's no excuse, mind. I might as well do a picture update; the past few weeks I've rested a lot more in between sessions, concentrated on form and squeezing the contraction, and I think I'm slowly but surely getting there. I reckon by around Christmas I'll be at my ideal shape.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

5th Oct 2008 at 10:00 am

Chris Kamara -

Nah I'm really not. Being so close to the camera makes things look bigger than they actually are. Obviously I'm not skinny, but photos are decieving I reckon. Good way to monitor progress though.

Have you ever done weightlifting and whatnot, Doc?

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

5th Oct 2008 at 11:31 am

Chris Kamara -

Impressive stuff, that. I'd still be lying on the now ground, I reckon.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

5th Oct 2008 at 6:59 pm

Chris Kamara -

I've tried a few brands but they're all the same to me. Might get some for work again and have them instead of coffee every morning. At least it'll cut out the sugar I have in coffee. Bad habit, that.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

5th Oct 2008 at 7:11 pm

Outside-left

I've tried a few brands but they're all the same to me. Might get some for work again and have them instead of coffee every morning. At least it'll cut out the sugar I have in coffee. Bad habit, that.

Coffee is just flatout bad for you anyway.  One of the most suppressive diuretics - not what you need if you're going to start battering the cardio. Tea and all it's variants are the same, but to a much less severe degree. And anyway, it's all caffiene. If you want to truly help yourself with what you drink, stick to water. It will bloat you at first, but as your body gets used to it, you'll feel alot more refreshed and rehydrated.

Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...
Πανδώρα: MUHAHAHAHAHA!
IGH: And so it ends
Captain Spiky: I've just been loving life, going through the photos in the Meets gallery. so many awesome people that I loved hanging out with

Page: