Fitness Thread

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

19th Sept 2008 at 8:27 pm

Dissimulation -

So far so good. 3 miles of running, followed by just under 3 walking and a good 2 mile run to the finish. Going to gradually extend on things until I'm running the whole 7.91 mile circuit, then gradually extend the milage after that.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

19th Sept 2008 at 10:10 pm

learrggh -

Quote: Dissimulation
So far so good. 3 miles of running, followed by just under 3 walking and a good 2 mile run to the finish. Going to gradually extend on things until I'm running the whole 7.91 mile circuit, then gradually extend the milage after that.

;o

*stalks*....

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 5:45 pm

Dissimulation -

Another 8 miles covered and around 930 calories burnt. Definitely didn't prepare well for this run. Lack of sleep and very little carb-loading, meant I ran out of glycogen quite early on and was struggling. Probably a little dehydrated as well in all honesty, something that wasn't aided by the decent weather. Still, I was mentally focused and pushed even harder than Thursday..which was definitely pleasing.

Stuck to the diet, a few days off a month of giving up smoking using nothing but will power and definitely much fitter. The only downside is having to wash out the salt stains from the top I wore earlier.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 6:44 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: TheUnitedTruth
I went kickboxing today. I really enjoyed it, my sis wasn't too keen though, gonna talk her into going again next week though, really don't want to go alone

It's a fantastic sport, Kickboxing. Certainly keeps you fit.

I did some running at the gym today. To summarise, I am sh*t at it. I can lift heavy weights no problem, but when it comes to actually being fit, I'm right up there with someone who's dead.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 6:46 pm

Chris Kamara -

Oh yeah and after my workout I ate the equivilant of a whole chicken. Quite pleased about that. I thought I had 'eyes bigger than my belly' syndrome, but alas, not this time

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 7:14 pm

Dissimulation -

Quote: farmer_jack

I did some running at the gym today. To summarise, I am sh*t at it. I can lift heavy weights no problem, but when it comes to actually being fit, I'm right up there with someone who's dead.

What did you manage distance/time wise?

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 7:20 pm

Chris Kamara -

What did you manage distance/time wise?

Next to toss all. 4 minutes or something, uphill, at a running pace but not exactly like Linford Christie.

I wouldn't mind, but when I play football I don't feel as bad as I did today. I think the fact I'd done a load of weights first didn't help, but damn, I think years of drink is taking it's toll on my organs

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 7:20 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: biggaginge
Oh yeah and after my workout I ate the equivilant of a whole chicken. Quite pleased about that. I thought I had 'eyes bigger than my belly' syndrome, but alas, not this time

You know you've had enough protein when you get the meat sweats  

Haha, good logic.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 7:42 pm

Chris Kamara -

I've been taking something called Hot-Rox in the last 4 days. I've had it a long time but I've only just started taking it. (http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/biot/hot.html)

I have to say; I'm sure it works. I've attached the pic from four days ago, and underneath one I just took 10 minutes ago.

It's bloody dear stuff, but I'm convinced it works. I'll take it consistently for a month and see how I go. There's every chance I'll not change at all; and I'm not 100% sure on the side-effects (I know of some, and they're not major), but I'm hoping for some definite progress.

I've changed my form at the gym in the last week or so; I'm slower in the reps and concentrate a lot more on the muscle I'm working. I've also be trying to keep the rest of my body as still as possible when performing exercises.

(After four days of Hot-Rox)-

Edited by Chris Kamara Sept 2008

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 7:58 pm

Chris Kamara -

I haven't noticed an increased heart rate to be honest. I haven't really noticed many effects. Sometimes I get a bit of a hot feeling when I take it but apart from that; zip.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 8:17 pm

Chris Kamara -

http://www.bodyshapersfitness.com/prodView.asp?idproduct=900

£30 on there, but perhaps you could get them cheaper somewhere else. Don't know where, mind. Also, £30 is heavily reduced in price as it is.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 8:32 pm

Chris Kamara -

Ace. Good luck with them. They taste a bit funny but I reckon they work.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 9:12 pm

Chris Kamara -

I just used this BMI calculator: http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

It makes me laugh. Apparently, I'm overweight. My BMI is 25.8, which puts me in tier 3: 'Overweight'. Just one tier behind Obese. I hope Doctor's don't use the BMI, I really don't think it's a very accurate system for some people.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 9:38 pm

Dissimulation -

My running shirt is testament to the effort I put in today. Proper pleased with that.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 9:41 pm

Chris Kamara -

Haha bloody hell; looks like lines of coke. No wonder you ran for so long

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 9:48 pm

Dissimulation -

If I had that much coke, I'd probably still be going now.
Slightly ambitious, but in the next couple of weeks, on a friday or saturday, I'm tempted to walk to my brother's house...in bournemouth. 45 miles, 5300Kcal of potential calorie burning, one day.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 9:52 pm

Chris Kamara -

Holy crap. Make sure he has a beer waiting for you.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

20th Sept 2008 at 10:08 pm

Dissimulation -

I'd expect at least 10

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

21st Sept 2008 at 1:30 am

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

If I had that much coke, I'd probably still be going now.
Slightly ambitious, but in the next couple of weeks, on a friday or saturday, I'm tempted to walk to my brother's house...in bournemouth. 45 miles, 5300Kcal of potential calorie burning, one day.

Go for it mate. Whilst you're at it, set up a charity page for donations [at www.justgiving.com], even it's just with the intention of raising £100, you know it goes to a good source. If you do the return walk in one day, you'll get it.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

21st Sept 2008 at 12:00 pm

Chris Kamara -

Played footy for 3 hours. Took my creatine and hot-rox as well, and had a protein shake and a banana.

A few thousand calories burned there. I reckon that gets me out of doing cardio tomorrow anyway.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

22nd Sept 2008 at 6:44 pm

Chris Kamara -

Did an hour today, all weights. I'll throw some cardio into the mix tomorrow. Pleased with my form on the weights; lifting everything correctly makes a massive difference, even if it does mean dropping down a few KG.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

22nd Sept 2008 at 8:42 pm

Dissimulation -

Aye, far better to lift less weight properly, than more weight badly.

Only run a few miles today, what I'm meant to do according to the programme I'm on. Didn't add the extra 3 miles of walking and the 2 mile (20 minute) jog after because of football tomorrow night.

Too much and I won't have the legs for it. Especially as I always jog home after the game now.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

25th Sept 2008 at 8:35 pm

Chris Kamara -

Didn't go to the gym yesterday; had a rest. Went today but needn't have bothered my a*se because I was knackered from an early start (did some overtime at work). Just done some weights now at home but they're not heavy enough really. Tomorrow is another day.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

25th Sept 2008 at 9:47 pm

Outside-left

Got inducted today.  Will be hitting it hard tomorrow after i've had a haircut.

Also, tomorrow i'll be signing up for the University's rugby, cricket and boxing squads.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

25th Sept 2008 at 10:05 pm

Dissimulation -

6k run (broken down into run 12, walk 1, run 12, walk 1, run 12) and a few miles walking. Probably ate the wrong food today but f*ck it. Breakfast of 3 weetabix and a banana, lunch of 2 slices of toast with butter, a pack of salt n vinegar walkers and 3 biscuits..dinner a shepherd's pie with red wine and parmesan and egg yolks in the mash. Fruit smoothie to round things off. Can't think that'll be over 2000 calories, though.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

25th Sept 2008 at 11:21 pm

Dissimulation -

Quote: Lemony_Zester
Minor thing J, but where's your protein with lunch? It'll be beneficial with your runs and stuff

That's a good point, aye.
Today wasn't my typical diet, thankfully. I was just under prepared. Went out running at one, thinking I'd be back for lunch, was gone an hour and a half and ended up just grabbing some toast and a couple biscuits in a coffee shop afterwards. Not ideal, but I just needed to eat by then.

Usually I'd have something like a homemade turkey curry with long grain rice, or something filling for lunch and a tuna or ham/chicken salad with cereal & seed pitta bread for tea

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

26th Sept 2008 at 4:04 am

learrggh -

Still ill. Cannot stop coughing. And what I cough up is fluorescent green, I swear.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

26th Sept 2008 at 5:34 pm

Chris Kamara -

Didn't make the gym today. Went and sat outside the pub with my lovely wife and ate fudge cake then went for a walk along the pier.

Mental Health +1
Physical Health -1

Ah well

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

26th Sept 2008 at 5:36 pm

Outside-left

Short first session this afternoon. Did 15 repetitions on each weight machine (shoulder press, chest press, hamstring curl, quadracep curl and assisted lift bar) followed a quick 10 minutes on the bike. In terms of weights, i'm absolutely gobsmacked at how much core strength i've lost in the past year - i've had to do everything a minimum of 10kgs less i used to.

This is going to be a long haul

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

26th Sept 2008 at 8:20 pm

learrggh -

Quote: ApologeticSquirrel
Still ill. Cannot stop coughing. And what I cough up is fluorescent green, I swear.

CHEST INFECTION LOLOLOL.

Also, I've grown again. Which means I've grown a total of a half inch since last September, which is @ce. I am sure as hell not going to try and lose any weight til I'm sure I've stopped now because I want to be as tall as I can.

Also, my boobs have got bigger, I think.

*jiggles*

Yeh.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

27th Sept 2008 at 12:31 am

Outside-left

Quote: little_miss_clara
I am finally down to a healthy weight!  I now weigh 8st 5lbs.  Hooray!

Job well done there 'Neen

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

27th Sept 2008 at 10:49 am

Chris Kamara -

Nice one

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

27th Sept 2008 at 9:06 pm

Dissimulation -

Went for a proper run in the New Forest. Beautiful sunshine. Doesn't get much better than that.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

29th Sept 2008 at 10:13 pm

Chris Kamara -

Didn't go to the gym for 3 days in total. Unheard of for me but I think it's been quite useful. Went today after work and had a decent session; I can feel the pain in my arms for the first time in a while. I think I need to up the tempo a little at the gym; while focusing on the contraction is important, losing the rhythm is not too helpful.

Day one of cardio started today. The fact that I do cardio when I'm exhausted from weights means I can't do much of it, but that is the best time to do cardio work. I'm aiming to improve the length of cardio I do on a daily basis, just adding 30 seconds each day all being well.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

30th Sept 2008 at 6:20 pm

Chris Kamara -

Gym today; had to leave despite feeling like I could have done a lot more. It's a tad frustrating but not to worry. Exceeded yesterday's cardio today. Looking forward to it tomorrow

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

30th Sept 2008 at 6:40 pm

Outside-left

Right, im gonna force myself to go running tomorrow after lectures.

Or would it be better if went on the cross trainer to begin with?

Im so out of the loop on cardio - i used to do exercise bike for about 40 minutes, but the bike here is f*cking dreadful.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

30th Sept 2008 at 9:21 pm

Dissimulation -

Quote: Squirrell_of_Doom

Im so out of the loop on cardio - i used to do exercise bike for about 40 minutes, but the bike here is f*cking dreadful.

Unless you've got problems with your knees or ankles, I wouldn't start with the cross-trainer. Get some decent running shoes and go for it mate.

The hardest bit is to haul a*s out the door. The rest is easy and a lot less boring.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

30th Sept 2008 at 9:52 pm

Dissimulation -

An hour and 10 minutes of 6-a-side football for me, tonight.
I say 6-a-side; what with the footie on TV, 2 lads working out of town and the p*ssing rain, we just about scraped together a 4 against 3.

It was a cracking game and an even better work-out. 3/4 of a mile jog back to mine afterwards without even feeling slightly uncomfortable. Pleased as f*ck with how much fitter I'm getting.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

30th Sept 2008 at 9:57 pm

Outside-left

Quote: Squirrell_of_Doom

Unless you've got problems with your knees or ankles, I wouldn't start with the cross-trainer. Get some decent running shoes and go for it mate.

The hardest bit is to haul a*s out the door. The rest is easy and a lot less boring.  

Even better, the on-site gym is fitting a TV and hifi soon. I run and cycle alot further when not bored out of my skull from staring at a wall.

Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...
Πανδώρα: MUHAHAHAHAHA!
IGH: And so it ends
Captain Spiky: I've just been loving life, going through the photos in the Meets gallery. so many awesome people that I loved hanging out with

Page: