Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 3:51 pm

Dissimulation -

Quote: girlpants
Quote: Dissimulation
Quote: Paddy_Irishman
does it matter when you go to the gym? I've been told that you should do a day on/day off but with my work hours I could probably only do friday evening, saturday morning and sunday morning. I'm mostly looking to lose weight so I do mostly cardio, but I do a few weights too.

If you're concentrating on weight loss, any amount of exercise is going to be beneficial. Personally, I'd only bother with paying out gym fees if I was looking to pack on some muscle. Anything else can be done under your own steam, for a fraction of the cost.

All you need is a pair of running shoes, some free weights, a balanced diet and a positive attitude.

I know a lot of people don't like jogging, especially on the roads, but there is no better exercise for weight loss. It's simply a case of weighing up whether you dislike running more than you dislike being overweight.

In my opinion http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=30 is the best place to start. If you're not used to running, the step ups can seem hard at first, but anyone could do that if they really wanted too.
Isn't cycling supposed to be better than running, purely because its a tad more aerobic than just running?

Depends. If you're talking about racing speeds, then cycling is better. If you're talking about an hour bike ride around the town in the evening compared to an hours running, the running's gonna be better for loosing weight. Cycling is still fantastic and there's not that much of a difference, but it's because if you're knackered when your cycling you can coast for a bit until you catch your breath, but with running, unless you stop and walk, your cardiovascular system is always getting pushed.

If I had room, I'd get a mountain bike. I love biking too and it would be fantastic cross-training. Uses different muscles from running, too. I mean, I have an exercise bike, but an hour on that staring at the wall is complete soul-destroying.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 5:00 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

In my opinion http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=30 is the best place to start. If you're not used to running, the step ups can seem hard at first, but anyone could do that if they really wanted too.

Nice link. I hate running when it's not football, rugby or hero citizen related, so that will help me.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 5:18 pm

Dissimulation -

The Ipod shuffle is a fantastic distraction. I found at the beginning, the hardest part was getting out the door. There were definitely a lot of moments where I was questioning whether there was something easier, but it's 90% psychological and you've just got to keep at it.

Today is exactly 11 weeks since I started with 30-a-day lungs, a shoddy knee and nearly 2 stone heavier. At first, I found the step-up from week 2 to week 3 a struggle and was almost laughing at the thought of 15 minutes, let alone 30. 11 weeks on, I can run for 1 hour 20 before I'll stop and walk and the weight's falling off - even when I miss sessions. I still eat the odd pack of crisps, roasts and curries (albeit not everyday), so I'd recommend it to anyone.  

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 6:35 pm

Chris Kamara -

Great to see plenty of people getting involved.

I had a decent enough session today but I cut my rowing machine workout short at 1.7km because I couldn't see my phone and I thought I'd left it somewhere.

Turns out it was in my pocket. Tw*t.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 6:46 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: scarlet
Quote: ApologeticSquirrel
Quote: farmer_jack
Just realised I haven't posted an updated image for a while, so here one is:

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.com/resources/uploads/updatedfitnessimage.jpg]

Not been at the gym for 4 days for one reason or another; back down there tomorrow though for biceps and triceps and a decent cardio workout.

STOP WORKING OUT YOUR NECK MUSCLES CHAP.  

amen. You look like you can't move your head

Haha, just seen this. I can move my head fine

I reckon if I can keep up my new 'like' for cardio as well as my old love of weights, I will be on track for sound results come Christmas in 6 or 7 weeks.

Back on creatine as of tomorrow as well, so that'll help. Had almost a month off it to let my liver 'recover'.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 7:01 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: Paddy_Irishman
does it matter when you go to the gym? I've been told that you should do a day on/day off but with my work hours I could probably only do friday evening, saturday morning and sunday morning. I'm mostly looking to lose weight so I do mostly cardio, but I do a few weights too.

There's no hard and fast rule, other that you have to be dedicated and consistent. Quite simply if you do Friday, Saturday and Sunday down at the gym, you're doing 3 days more than you normally do, which is a big difference. If you eat healthily and have a decent workout for each day in the gym you will probably find results come quite quickly over the next 3 or 4 weeks, and those results will help you focus on getting to where you want to be.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 7:23 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Its the eating healthy I'm really worried about, Although I have cut down on the 2-3 bottles of lucozade a day and started having more salad on my subway than meat, with a bottle of water instead of a large coke. But I still hate most fruit and veg and don't really know anywhere where I can get some good food round where I work. But as you's said, anything at all is better than nothing
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 11:02 pm

Chris Kamara -

Sounds a bit like my gym today that, Phil; I think gym's are always busier on a Monday. It's as if people start the week with good intentions which then fade away as the days pass.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

10th Nov 2008 at 11:35 pm

Dissimulation -

Quote: girlpants
Jamie, I take it your progress/the stages you went through on this is in this thread?

2 stone in 11 weeks is a damned good achievement and pretty much my current target in terms of weight (Time is another matter, with christmas coming and what not I suspect it may take me a tad longer.)

Overall, I've lost 4 stone this year, but I've only actively started excersing and keeping my diet in check since the beginning of this thread. Did my first run on Monday 25th, week one of that schedule, run one minute, walk 90 seconds 8 times and went from there.

I do it three times a week, Monday, Thursday and Saturday, but I play football every Tuesday night, so it counts as 4 session really.

Diet-wise, it was simply just a case of cutting out the sh*t and cooking more. Cooking a home-made turkey curry, a shepherd's pie, or a bolognese with plenty of veg to bulk it out, is infinitely better than going to the chippy. You can pile it on your plate. There's no reason why anyone should be on a 'diet' and go to bed each night hungry.

But aye, 11 weeks later and I'm now down to 13.7 and can run over 1hr 20 minutes. When I got to the end of the schedule I just started making my own up. Most sessions I'll still just stick to 30minutes of running, which is around 5k at a normal jogging pace. That's still more than adequate in terms of weight-loss, but other sessions I'll do 40 minutes and then Saturdays now is usually the long run.

Other than that, I do a little bit on my free-weights when I can be arsed, press-ups, but not nearly enough as I should. Still have crisps. Today I've had, two packets, sausages and cheese, so you really don't need to be too anal with what you eat. If it's too much like a chore, it's never gonna be a long-term thing. The most important thing is to enjoy it.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

11th Nov 2008 at 12:03 am

Chris Kamara -

Never a truer word spoken.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

11th Nov 2008 at 9:25 pm

Chris Kamara -

Nice one Darren. Sounds like a good start

I had an alright session in the gym today; I'm just ticking over on the weights while I concentrate on upping the cardio. Finding a 2k row very easy now, even when tired, so I'll be increasing that tomorrow. I noticed that once I'd done the rowing it was initially easier to lift the weights. Not sure why, as I'd have had less energy, but there you go.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

11th Nov 2008 at 9:49 pm

Dissimulation -

I had an alright session in the gym today; I'm just ticking over on the weights while I concentrate on upping the cardio. Finding a 2k row very easy now, even when tired, so I'll be increasing that tomorrow. I noticed that once I'd done the rowing it was initially easier to lift the weights. Not sure why, as I'd have had less energy, but there you go.

It might have felt easier with warmer muscles.
I still need to do the opposite and concentrate a bit more on building strength. From monday, I'll be combining a proper upper body workout into my cardio routine..one day on, one day off and see what happens.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

11th Nov 2008 at 10:00 pm

Chris Kamara -

It might have felt easier with warmer muscles.
I still need to do the opposite and concentrate a bit more on building strength. From monday, I'll be combining a proper upper body workout into my cardio routine..one day on, one day off and see what happens.

That's what I'd put it down to as well but it never normally happens after cardio; it was almost like an energy spike. It could just be a sign of progress I suppose, with the 2k row not being so challenging anymore I'll have more in reserve.

I'll fill up the iPod shuffle in a bit for a longer session tomorrow

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

12th Nov 2008 at 11:03 pm

Dissimulation -

Skipping meals is a killer, aye. 4k on the bike and about 4 miles walking is spot on though.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

14th Nov 2008 at 9:32 am

Chris Kamara -

Not been to the gym since Tuesday; I've not been well. It's bollocksed up my week of training but never mind; I suppose a week off won't hurt. I won't be going today; perhaps tomorrow I'll get down there.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

15th Nov 2008 at 10:28 pm

Outside-left

Today was my first day back in the stride after 2 weeks away.

30 minutes on the punchbag
10 minutes cycling
20 chest presses @ 45kg
10 lateral lifts at body weight

Felt good afterwards, and hope to continue the pattern with alot more cardio. Gotta get this layer shifted.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

17th Nov 2008 at 2:13 pm

Chris Kamara -

6 days with no gym, and counting. B*llocks.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

17th Nov 2008 at 2:37 pm

Chris Kamara -

I'm 4 stone in my clothes now.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

17th Nov 2008 at 2:44 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

I'm 4 stone in my clothes now.

are your clothes made out of helium?
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

17th Nov 2008 at 2:48 pm

Chris Kamara -

They are. It's a bloody nightmare trying to put them on the line to dry.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

18th Nov 2008 at 7:36 pm

Chris Kamara -

Went back to the gym today although I'm still not feeling 100%. It was illustrated well by the fact I could only do about 30 minutes, but at least I went. I think I'll be sound tomorrow although it's going to be several days until I'm back where I was, I think.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

18th Nov 2008 at 9:37 pm

Dissimulation -

Quality game of football tonight, but my foot's just getting progressively worse. As much as I hate going to see the doctor, I'll have to face up to the fact that my heel arch is f*cked and get it sorted.

The good news is I now weigh 13'4 so I know I've definitely lost 4 stone now this year and coming up 2 stone since this thread started in August. My metabolism is noticably faster as I'm loosing weight even when I eat more junk than I would like.

Saying that, I'll probably either stay the same or go back up by the end of this week I reckon. All in all, a mixed bag.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

21st Nov 2008 at 5:35 pm

Chris Kamara -

I went to the gym on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and today. Overall I'm quite pleased with how I've done this week. Generally they were all good sessions, perhaps with the exception of Tuesday 'cos I still wasn't too well, so I'm having tomorrow off and I think I'll buy a new coat.

Tomorrow is my last re-loading day of creatine as well; so it'll be nice not to be taking 25 tablets a day. A mere 5 instead. Although including my amino acid tablets it's been 29 tablets per day this week.

I've also discovered a milkshake in my local newsagents that has almost 20g of protein in 500ml. So I've been having one per day, and I've got some in for the weekend. They taste superb.

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

25th Nov 2008 at 6:04 pm

learrggh -

I just tapped in my measurements on a few online 'body fat calculators' and got several results ranging from telling me I'm obese to that I have the body fat percentage of a professional athelete.

What the f*ck.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

25th Nov 2008 at 6:40 pm

Colin -

Sumo champ!
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

25th Nov 2008 at 7:50 pm

Chris Kamara -

I had the best session in ages today; I've made some good progress overall I think. I'll probably take a new picture next week. Probably had the best chest workout I've ever had today, I'm hoping I'll feel it in the morning.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

26th Nov 2008 at 7:54 am

Outside-left

Yesterday - 40 minutes on punchbag with sporadic 1 minute breaks for water and Muhammad Ali poem recitals  
Tried to run afterwards but was far too exhausted.
20 minutes in the sauna at 95 degrees.

Quote: ApologeticSquirrel
I just tapped in my measurements on a few online 'body fat calculators' and got several results ranging from telling me I'm obese to that I have the body fat percentage of a professional athelete.

What the f*ck.

You have pretty much no body fat, unless you've piled on the lard in the last few months.

Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...
Πανδώρα: MUHAHAHAHAHA!
IGH: And so it ends
Captain Spiky: I've just been loving life, going through the photos in the Meets gallery. so many awesome people that I loved hanging out with

Page: