Fitness Thread

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

24th Aug 2008 at 9:03 pm

Chris Kamara -

A thread for those who are training, getting fitter, starting a new diet, or whatever it may be. Feel free to post up your aims, your stats, pictures, tips or advice.

'Sticking at it' is often a problem, perhaps a few posts in the right direction can help.

I'm at 12st 11lb and I'm 5'10" and, while not in bad shape, aiming to get not just bigger, but a lot more defined. Definition has never been a strong point for me when I've had muscle mass. There's always been some, but never enough for my liking, so here goes.

I'll be at the gym 5-6 days a week, focusing on all-over muscle gain, and concentrating on the stepper and intense sprints on the running machine for healthy fat loss.

A good fat loss tip if you're doing weights: do your weights first, then go to cardio. A lot of people hit the bike or the treadmill, and then do the weights, but you're far better off doing it the other way around. For maximum fat burning, hit the larger muscle groups, such as the back and legs.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

24th Aug 2008 at 9:27 pm

Chris Kamara -

Something I haven't trained a lot in recent times is my neck; so I'm going to make sure I give it at least one 20 minute session each week. It's an area you have to be careful with, but it makes me laugh when some of the 'bodybuilders' I know didn't even realise they could workout their neck. For a lot of the exercises, you don't even need any plates, you can just use your hands to apply resistance.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

24th Aug 2008 at 9:37 pm

Chris Kamara -

There's a type of machine you can use that works the neck, and you stack the plates at the bottom of that. It basically consists of resting your head on the pad and then pushing against the resistance.

One of the guys I know who does Taekwondo would balance on his head while he is strapped with weights; and do rotations and different movements while pretty much upside down. Quite dangerous really, but he has a neck like a Bull-Mastiff.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

24th Aug 2008 at 9:41 pm

Dissimulation -

Shade under 6ft and although I don't look bad for it, currently weighing in at 15st exactly. I'm built more like a rugby player, than looking like a fat c*nt - the only problem is I don't have their endurance. The heaviest I've ever been is 17stone 4, a few months back and I must admit, it was starting to really notice then.

So I've shaved of 32 pounds already in the last couple months, with hardly any effort, but it's not enough. I calculate I'm anywhere between 15-35 pounds overweight still, because I don't actually know how much of me is muscle and how much is crap. The target weight is between 12-13 stone but I'm not arsed that much about what the scales say and will be going solely on my fitness levels and what I see when I look in the mirror.

With weighing yourself, sometimes your weight will level off for a while, or you might gain a pound or two of muscle and think your gaining weight, get disheartened and quit. Non of that sh*t for me, it's a simple lifestyle change and I'm sure I'll be able to notice the difference anyway. Might weigh once a week or fortnight, just to keep tabs, but aye. The target for getting the weight off is Christmas at a round 2 pounds a week, but once I'm happy with my weight it won't make much difference exactly what the scales tell me.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

24th Aug 2008 at 9:41 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: Lemony_Zester
At gymnastics, we could do things like necksprings- well, they were on the syllabus and you'd need a strong neck for that, but they got banned by our teacher as they were too dangerous.

What's a neckspring?! Sounds ominous

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

24th Aug 2008 at 9:51 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote: Dissimulation
Shade under 6ft and although I don't look bad for it, currently weighing in at 15st exactly. I'm built more like a rugby player, than looking like a fat c*nt - the only problem is I don't have their endurance. The heaviest I've ever been is 17stone 4, a few months back and I must admit, it was starting to really notice then.

So I've shaved of 32 pounds already in the last couple months, with hardly any effort, but it's not enough. I calculate I'm anywhere between 15-35 pounds overweight still, because I don't actually know how much of me is muscle and how much is crap. The target weight is between 12-13 stone but I'm not a*sed that much about what the scales say and will be going solely on my fitness levels and what I see when I look in the mirror.

With weighing yourself, sometimes your weight will level off for a while, or you might gain a pound or two of muscle and think your gaining weight, get disheartened and quit. Non of that sh*t for me, it's a simple lifestyle change and I'm sure I'll be able to notice the difference anyway. Might weigh once a week or fortnight, just to keep tabs, but aye. The target for getting the weight off is Christmas at a round 2 pounds a week, but once I'm happy with my weight it won't make much difference exactly what the scales tell me.

I've no doubts that you'll nail it. The progress you've made already is superb.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

24th Aug 2008 at 10:16 pm

Tobias Fünke  - I blue myself.

I blue myself.

Great idea for a thread.

I'm currently a shade over 6ft and 13st 13lbs. 12 stone is where I want to be, though I've not been that for about 8 years. Still, what's the point of a challenge if it's not challenging eh?

I'll be doing mostly weights initially, as my knees dictate how much traditional cardio I can do. But definitely swimming, badminton and circuits - 4 sessions of exercise a week. That'll do for now.
Analrapist.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

24th Aug 2008 at 10:18 pm

Chris Kamara -

Have you got bad knees, Scott?

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

24th Aug 2008 at 10:23 pm

I blue myself.

Appalling. Had surgery on my right a few years back, an old footballing injury that came back to haunt me on a particularly messy bender. Hurt it again a few weeks back, catching a frikkin frisbee. I just need to careful on high impact training, tis all. Of course, getting myself fit again will probably strengthen them up...or at least, I hope.
Analrapist.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

24th Aug 2008 at 10:29 pm

Chris Kamara -

I'm quite partial to a spot of Frisbee myself.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

24th Aug 2008 at 10:33 pm

I blue myself.

It's a great frisbee...but my landing wasn't.
Analrapist.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

24th Aug 2008 at 11:41 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

6' and last time I checked just under 15 stone, but I know I've maybe put on a stone since there. Actually planning on starting back at the gym within the next 2 weeks, was going to wait til I got a job but may be too late then. If I dont go soon I'll never go. I'd love to lose 4 stone by next April, sisters wedding. I actually quite enjoy the gym, just havent gone in months due to college, then lack of money.
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 3:09 am

Mancomb Seepgood - Grog me.

Grog me.

I'm 6ft or so and 12 stone 7lb, and am not too ashamed of myself when I'm all naked. It can fluctuate though. Was pretty much 12 and half all the way through last semester of uni, but dipped below 12 stone after traveling around Britain, France and Italy for a few weeks, doing large amounts of walking and consuming only baguettes, water, fruit and the occasional gelato. Got over 13 soon after in July when sitting at home with f*ck all to do, but has come down a bit after being particularly busy and stressed this past month. I've tried to do 100-200 sit-ups a day as well as various weight things over the past 6 years or so, and it seems to be paying off. I've still yet to take up running properly though. Was meant to seriously give it a go this month, but have just been far too busy and then far too tired when I'm not busy, which has been a bit rubbish. Will definitely try give it another go though when uni starts up again. Any ideas on how to make sure I stick to such plans? My will power tends to come and go as it pleases. As it is, I'm doing okay, managing a good few miles walking each day, though I'm thinking about getting a bike as well.
If I could get an orange that was as low-maintenance as an apple, I'd be a happy man

learrggh

| 5,671 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 5:35 am

learrggh -

Quote: Lilac_Leopard
It's just, because of my illness, it's so much more comfortable to slouch and I'm finding my shoulders are forward a lot and my back isn't straight which is making them hurt. I think if I sat better or walked better I may have less pain. I actually think I'm gonna see about Physio when I see my Consultant, come to think of it, it's hard to get advice from 'normal' people because they can do things I can't

I struggle with my posture too. Got lax ligaments, means everything's whacked out of alignment and my physio has told me I need to learn a totally new way of standing and walking that suits my body.

I'm 5ft 7in and 9st, which is a weight that I'd be happy with if I hadn't got the ballet body 'ideal' absolutely drilled into me, having curves is demonised or smt in the dance world.

I want to get back to 8st 7 which is ironic considering how long it took me to put this weight on but I'm not dieting because that basically means I stop eating, so I'm trying to exersize more.

A sprained ankle is getting in the way at the moment, but I've been cycling and I am going to start swimming if I can get a Caturday job - it's about £3.50 a go at the pool near me, and no discounts or membership schemes where you can stand to save much more than 50p now and then.

Slightly concerned that when I go back to college and restart on methylphenidate I'll start looking like a skeleton again, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 9:03 am

Chris Kamara -

Quote:
Anyone got any diet tips for a tight budget?

I have some, but I will have to post them when I get back from football. First time I've played since the start of July. I'm gonna be knackered.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 10:05 am

I'm 5'10ish and just under 14 stone. All I'm worried about right now is getting my legs the same size as each other again. I've been advised not to return to any contact sports, but I'd quite like something I can do for the future thats a decent work out but unlikely to destroy my knee/anything else.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 1:49 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Quote: ApologeticSquirrel
I struggle with my posture too. Got lax ligaments, means everything's whacked out of alignment and my physio has told me I need to learn a totally new way of standing and walking that suits my body.

Same here. My right leg is half an inch shorter than my left leg, so i've got a right sided balance when standing, leaning and where i put all my weight. As a result, my right leg is visibly musclier than my left leg, and trying to correct my stance is an absolute nuisance.

Anyways, 5'11" and 13st 3lbs. I carry most of it on my shoulders, chest and stomach and am not particularly toned, so i can look like a chunk at times. I've been doing weights in short, thrice daily bursts over the past few months and have started to notice a big difference in my forearms, biceps and especially triceps. I've decided i'm going to build the muscle up before i strip off the fat. Target weight is 12 stone, but i'd be fine with being heavier if i was well toned.

I'm waiting until the start of uni before i hit the cardio hard and start boxing again. Fresh start and all that.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 4:38 pm

Outside-left

I've done a bit of research into the science behind exercise and how it affects the body over the past few months - apparently the first 20-25 minutes of exercise burn off glucose reserves before you even begin to start burning fat, so you're meant to do 20-25 minutes of resistance exercise before you hit the cardio. So i'll probably do weights and stretches for half an hour before starting doing any cycling or running.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 4:59 pm

Chris Kamara -

Ace; that backs up my tip in post one. I had no scientific reason for knowing it, I was just told it by a guy once at my old gym.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 5:02 pm

Outside-left

Quote: scarlet
Quote: Squirrell_of_Doom
Quote: ApologeticSquirrel

Same here. My right leg is half an inch shorter than my left leg, so i've got a right sided balance when standing, leaning and where i put all my weight. As a result, my right leg is visibly musclier than my left leg, and trying to correct my stance is an absolute nuisance.

my dad's the same. A doctor told him he could wait a few months to have something specially made to fit in one of his shoes to blance him out. The next day he shaped a bit of wood to fit in all his shoes and now his legs are fine.

That's not a bad idea actually. At the moment i'm walking with a very slight limp so that more weight is put on my left leg, and it's doing some good in terms of building up the muscle to match my right leg.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 5:23 pm

I blue myself.

I've also read that resistance training burns calories for longer, as opposed to cardio which burns the calories only during the activity. Both essential, they just work in different ways. The Abs Diet book (which isn't a diet book btw) also recommends the resistance then cardio method.
Analrapist.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 8:22 pm

I aim to misbehave

I've done a bit of research into the science behind exercise and how it affects the body over the past few months - apparently the first 20-25 minutes of exercise burn off glucose reserves before you even begin to start burning fat, so you're meant to do 20-25 minutes of resistance exercise before you hit the cardio. So i'll probably do weights and stretches for half an hour before starting doing any cycling or running.

Whats resistance training? When I started in the gym the trainer put me on a program to lose weight. It was 10 minutes on the rowing machine, then some stretching, then 15 minutes treadmill, 15 minutes cross trainer, 10 minutes cycling, 5 minutes cool down using the big rubber ball thing, then some stretching to finish. Although I no longer do the treadmill cos it really hurt my legs, even just walking. Apparantly I walk wrong but I dont know why. So I do a few weights instead of the treadmill. Anyone whos smarted than me tell me if this is a good routine? Aside from the healthy eating and stuff

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 8:24 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

All sounds good, this. I'm about 5'6" and somewhere between about 9st 2 lbs and 9st 7lbs, which is up a fair bit from a couple of years ago where I was 8 stone or so, but that's only to be expected really, and anyway, that's far too f*cking thin. I do a bit of swimming once a week or so, and really only just started that, so I'm more than a bit out of shape.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 8:38 pm

Outside-left

Quote: Paddy_Irishman

Whats resistance training? When I started in the gym the trainer put me on a program to lose weight. It was 10 minutes on the rowing machine, then some stretching, then 15 minutes treadmill, 15 minutes cross trainer, 10 minutes cycling, 5 minutes cool down using the big rubber ball thing, then some stretching to finish. Although I no longer do the treadmill cos it really hurt my legs, even just walking. Apparantly I walk wrong but I dont know why. So I do a few weights instead of the treadmill. Anyone whos smarted than me tell me if this is a good routine? Aside from the healthy eating and stuff

Wiki is your friend. Also includes weight training.

EDIT - at the a*se end of 2004, i also weighed 9 and a half stone.

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 8:43 pm

I aim to misbehave

Quote: Paddy_Irishman

Do your legs hurt when you wear your trainers apart from the gym? I found that with one pair of mine, they were slightly too big and the wrong shape and this meant the arch of my foot wasn't supported and caused a lot of pain.
I think if your feet aren't supported properly you can get pains elsewhere too, though am not certain.

Not really, although I dont do a lot of walking or running outside of the gym so I suppose I dont really know. Thats something I might investigate though. Cheers

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

25th Aug 2008 at 9:51 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: fsc
All sounds good, this. I'm about 5'6" and somewhere between about 9st 2 lbs and 9st 7lbs, which is up a fair bit from a couple of years ago where I was 8 stone or so, but that's only to be expected really, and anyway, that's far too f*cking thin. I do a bit of swimming once a week or so, and really only just started that, so I'm more than a bit out of shape.

From photos, you look healthier now rather than like a snappable bird when I knew you

Ha, well thanks. It's not as if I wasn't eating much either; it just seemed to disappear. God knows where it went because after 15 or so it definitely didn't go into height.

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

26th Aug 2008 at 9:44 am

TinyShine -

I'm 5ft 2 and weigh 7stone 3 pounds. I don't want to lose weight but I've joined the gym with Martin to help build up my strength. Having a chronic illness has meant that I've lost alot of strength over the years and am a bit of a weakling! Opening bottles and jars is tough... :p ! So hopefully I'll build up some stamina and some strength through this gym membership!

Sarah xx

Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: What's the facebook group called? I couldn't find it...
Πανδώρα: MUHAHAHAHAHA!
IGH: And so it ends
Captain Spiky: I've just been loving life, going through the photos in the Meets gallery. so many awesome people that I loved hanging out with

Page: