The big VR game review

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 2:11 pm

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

Seeing as how theres a film review thread and theres a lot of gamers on VR I thought there should be a proper VR games reviews thread. You can review any title you like, retro, modern even online games. what do you guys think?
Never take life seriously.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 2:20 pm

Carpet Remnant -

I think good idea, review a game dude, get us started :p

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 2:32 pm

snarf!

Hows this for the basic layout?

Title: Assasins creed
Format: Xbox 360
Genre: 3rd person action adventure
Basic plot: er well your an assasin and you take people out as in kill em.
Hows it play: Really well, similar to the prince of persia series but far better executed, combats a bit easy though.
Graphics: True next gen, amazing on an HD tv
Fun factor: This lets it down as it quickly gets repetitive, not very exciting side missions and a bit predictable.
length: Lenghty story mode with loads of things to find and side quests... there just not that exciting.
Deaths: Thousands, your like superman on steroids but with a sword.
Soundtrack: Mostly medieval sounds and Arabic music, pretty good though
Highlight: Riding the horses and mounted combat, and swan diving from the top of huuuge towers.
Lowlight: repetitive, and a bit dull
My Score: 7/10

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 2:58 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Good layout and I agree with the review, well done. I'll do one later maybes.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 4:38 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

God, I really want a Sloppy Joe right now.

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 5:35 pm

Jewbacca -

Fantastic idea, I'll do the old ctrl+F:'PC' in a week or so
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 7:12 pm

Quote: Captain_Stupendo
Hows this for the basic layout?

Title: Assasins creed
Basic plot: er well your an assasin and you take people out as in kill em.
Hows it play: Really well, similar to the prince of persia series but far better executed, combats a bit easy though.
Graphics: True next gen, amazing on an HD tv
Fun factor: This lets it down as it quickly gets repetitive, not very exciting side missions and a bit predictable.
length: Lenghty story mode with loads of things to find and side quests... there just not that exciting.
Deaths: Thousands, your like superman on steroids but with a sword.
Soundtrack: Mostly medieval sounds and Arabic music, pretty good though
Highlight: Riding the horses and mounted combat, and swan diving from the top of huuuge towers.
Lowlight: repetitive, and a bit dull
My Score: 7/10

I'm really not a fan of this layout of reviews, much prefer to actually discuss the games rather than sumarise with vague bullet points, but I'm more than up for reviewing some games.

I'll start with what's been about the only game I've played in the last week, Pokémon Pearl (which could also be a review of Pokémon Diamond I guess, seeing as it's the same game but with slight variences in Pokémon numbers). Pokémon Pearl is a member of the fourth generation of Pokémon RPG's this time for the Nintendo DS. As ever it's created far more monsters to catch, the total being 493 this time to fully complete the games Pokédex, (even more if you go after every version of every Pokémon).

The plot is the same farce from the last God knows how many games; you're a new trainer, who gets hold of his first Pokémon from the games professor expert, and are encouraged to go and beat the Elite Four. Along the way you'll be fighting eight gym leaders, and dealing with the evil plots of the villanous Team Galactic. You'll also be taking up lots of little sidequests, such as going from a to b with item c to clear the path to d. Oh and you've just gotta catch 'em all!

The game is, in all respects and purposes, is as deep as a childs paddling pool in terms of plot, but as deep as the pacific ocean in terms of actual battling. While each monster can still only know four moves at any one time, with nearly 500 monsters to choose from (though obviously not all of them are availiable from the start), and a whole slew of items, abilities, and a weakness and reisistance chart that makes it "the worlds most complicated game of rock-paper-scissorsTM", makes it a very deep and strategic game. Or you can just do what I do, accept the innevitable grind of levelling up, and take on each gym with a team that's about five levels tougher than the gym leaders Pokémon.

This is the problem with RPG's I feel. If you have the patience for it, you can just sit around, and become stupidly powerful to the point where the entire game becomes a walk in the park. Items like the Vs Seeker, which finds which trainers are ready to re-fight you, means you'll have a potentially neverending source of money, and experience points, so as long as you have the free time and patience you can start the game with powerful monsters. The Gym badge system initially stops this, but if you dedicate yourself to just six Pokémon, they will grow to like and respect you enough to obey your commands even though you don't own the gym badge that says they must obey you.

As I said earlier, a key point to any Pokémon game is the concept of "catching 'em all". Unfortunately, with more games into the series this has become harder and harder. Initially you only have to see all the Pokémon in the Sinnoh dex. I'm told this is possible by merely battling every trainer possible (I haven't actually finished it yet, hence why I'm still playing it). Once this is done, you unlock the national dex, and can thus begin properly going after every Pokémon.

Here begins the problem, as catching 'em all is easier said than done. Oh sure, or some Pokémon you'll just run into them in the wild, and can weaken them in a fight, then catch them in a Pokéball, or can level them up until they reach a certain level, and evolve, as has always been the case, but particularly in this game absurd evolutions have become more commonplace.

Back in the days of Red and Blue, the majority of Pokémon evolved through levelling up. A small handful evolved by the use of evolutionary stones (couldn't've been more than eleven but don't quote me), and four Pokémon evolved through being traded from one game to another. This was okay, it was simple, we could handle it, and for the most part the game did at least hint you in the right direction as to how this happened.

Not anymore though. Somewhere between Crystal (the last Pokémon game I played) and Pearl the rules for evolution sense, as well as catching sense for that matter, were thrown out the window. For instance, Combee will only evolve if it's female. My brother learnt this the hard way, and now has a level thirty five male Combee. According to his testimony, Combee is a sh*t Pokémon, and he was thoroughly annoyed to learn this. I only know this myself because I looked on Bulbapedia.

I find it to be particularly annoying for a game that stresses "gotta catch 'em all" as it's motto, that catching 'em all is nigh on impossible without an encylcpaedic webpages help. Some of the things you have to do to get all the Pokémon is ridiculously specific, and will be a real chore for any completist. For one, to complete Pearl's national dex you'll need someone with a copy of Diamond, and a spare DS, so you can get all the Pokémon not found in Pearl. You'll also need copies of Pokémon Fire Red, Pokémon Leaf Green, Pokémon Ruby, Pokémon Saphire, and (optionally) Pokémon Emerald all for the Gameboy Advance to be able to get all the Pokémon.

Lets assume for a moment you had a friend who was as equally as commited to completing the Pokédex. Not only would you have to play through two other games each, just to be able to obtain all the Pokémon in those, but also actually have to pay for these games as well. At £30 new, that's £90 each, or £180 and the cost of a DS (so £280), just to have the honour of a complete Pokédex. Even then you can't honestly finish it, as several legendary Pokémon can only be obtained through special promotional events held by Nintendo.

Of course, there is always the Nintendo Wi-Fi Global Trade System, located in one of the earlier cities to help your quest. Well in theory anyway. It's purely dumb luck what's availiable for trade on there, and you can bet that most of what's availiable isn't worthwhile. Another kick in the teeth for the GTS is that you can't actually ask for a trade for a Pokémon you haven't yet seen. Yes, that's right, you aren't alowed to seek out the very Pokémon you're after until you've seen one, either in the wild, or in a battle.

So it's basically impossible to fully finish the game without some sort of cheat device, or a multitude of time, patience, money and the ability to go to any and all Nintendo events, which makes the whole point of catching 'em all redudant.

Yet it's still a good game. Yes it's the exact same as the past three generations, yes the story is total b*ll*cks, and yes, you will find yourself having to stop and level up because the difficulty has suddenly spiked a good ten levels out of the blue. But despite this, the only complaint I have about the game is just how inobvious it is about some things. For instance there's a point after the fourth gym where in order to progress you have to chase a Galactic Grunt halfway up one of the routes, Naturally under the age old assumption of RPG NPC's (that nothing he says changes ever unless he moves in position), I ignored him for an age, and wanderred all around everything I had done prior to find the new bit to go to.

Otherwise it's a competent, and often enoyable RPG, that's as shallow as it needs to be, and as deep as you wish to make it. If you just want to finish it quickly, then that's possible, or you can spend ages investing in vitamins, and breeding Pokémon that start powerful and grow into total powerhouses.

Just don't ever expect to catch 'em all.
A Random Link
I don't give a f*ck you f*cking f*ck!

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 7:17 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

I still can't and indeed never will, think of Pokemon as a "game". Its just a marketing scam, a ludicrously successful one as well.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 7:33 pm

Chris Kamara -

I haven't a game to contribute to at the moment, but sound idea for a thread. I'll probably do Football Manager 08 soon enough.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 7:34 pm

Worse than that. It's an addiction. Nintendo are shooting our veins up with rich, thick Pika-smack.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 7:52 pm

Animal -

Game: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
Platform: Xbox 360
Warning: Some spoilers contained.
Genre: Military/tactical FPS

This is the first CoD game I have properly sat and played, I have to say, its bloody amazing.

The basic plot follows a modern horror story, Nuclear Stockpiles being sold by Russian black market traders into the middle east for use in a massive scale terrorist strike against the western world.

This is told from the perspective of two main characters.
Sgt. John "Soap" MacTavish - 22nd SAS Regiment and Sgt. Paul Jackson - United States Marine Corps 1st Force Recon.

The game jumps every so often between these and one or two other characters, which if you weren't expecting it initially, like myself can be disorientating and somewhat confusing. However the system does make sense. The intertwining of two separate stories to make a single whole is handled very well also and manages to give a sense of the scope of the situation.

[highlight]In addition to these two characters, you will jump into the bodies of one or two others, one purely for story telling purposes, the other few for alternate takes on the mission or for a bit of background. Like when you shoot 15 years into the past into the body of your CO: Lt. Price - 22nd SAS Regiment to do a quick stealth/snipe infiltration mission. (Creating, to me a massive plot hole, since someone should not be alive in the modern timeline of the game.)
The other gameplay related jump is into the body of an unnamed gunner of an AC-130 Gun-ship, providing covering fire part way into the game for Soap and his squad mates.
[/highlight]

Graphically, the game is stunning, again, a HD TV will help matters here. It has to be said, their were a few moments between missions, when I forgot I was playing a game and thought it was a news report.. [highlight]Watching a nuke go off, even from a characters viewpoint scared the living sh*t out of me.. It was then in particular I forgot it was just a game as I saw one of the biggest horrors of the modern world occurring.[/highlight]

My biggest gripe about the game is one major flaw in the plot. [highlight]The fact, you assassinate someone, 15 years in the past, only to kill them again at the end of the game. - Just did some reading up, it seems I stand corrected - the sniper shot only removed his arm from him.. However, when I played it, the fact I got a headshot off on the guy kinda f*cks this fact up a little.[/highlight] Also the cover system needs reworking. The fact its a military/tactical shooter with such basic cover use as hiding behind a wall or simply ducking really doesn't cut it. Particularly when stacked up against the likes of GRAW and even the likes of GoW, both of who's use of cover was pretty well thought out.

If you are a fan of the series, or even if, like me you are new to it I'd highly recommend this game.. The missions are hard, but not so hard as to be impossible. Granted, part way through I decided to drop the difficulty a notch, but I have a habit of playing games on the highest or second highest setting by default anyway.

The one thing I find amusing is the fact that this and the MoH feel almost interchangeable in terms of gameplay.. The fact I have recently just worked through MoH: Airborne probably didn't help this mind set though.

Completion of the campaign mode gives an arcade mode option, where you play for points and have lives to lose, something I half appreciate the addition of, while not quite seeing the point of it.. I have yet to try multiplayer, though it looks to be quite interesting. I'm just waiting for a few more in the group of usual suspects I play with to grab this before I venture into that arena of the game.

Overall, I'd give the game a resounding 8.5 out of 10 sniper rounds to the head.

Edited by Animal Nov 2007
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 7:58 pm

Quote: Spider_Jerusalem
Worse than that. It's an addiction. Nintendo are shooting our veins up with rich, thick Pika-smack.

I dunno, there are much worse cash cows on the market than Pokémon. Pro Evo for one has been near enough the same game year on year, and is getting as bad as FIFA in terms of "this years update for last years game", and the Smackdown series has actually gotten worse since Smackdown Vs Raw '05, with all it's unnescessary "improvements".
A Random Link

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 8:13 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

[quote=That Thing link=1195654301/0#11 date=1195675137]Quote: Spider_Jerusalem

I dunno, there are much worse cash cows on the market than Pokémon. Pro Evo for one has been near enough the same game year on year, and is getting as bad as FIFA in terms of "this years update for last years game", and the Smackdown series has actually gotten worse since Smackdown Vs Raw '05, with all it's unnescessary "improvements".[/quote]

Yeah but you only need one Pro Evo every couple of years to "complete" a master league, but to complete, truly complete a Pokemon game you need slightly different versions of the same game! Tack onto that the Card games and cartoons and then you have a massive huge cash cow, the DS games alone in japan sold something stupid like 1.5 million copies and overall they've sold something stupid like 60 million games across the franchise in total!

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 9:09 pm

Quote: Substance

I dunno, there are much worse cash cows on the market than Pokémon. Pro Evo for one has been near enough the same game year on year, and is getting as bad as FIFA in terms of "this years update for last years game", and the Smackdown series has actually gotten worse since Smackdown Vs Raw '05, with all it's unnescessary "improvements".

Yeah but you only need one Pro Evo every couple of years to "complete" a master league, but to complete, truly complete a Pokemon game you need slightly different versions of the same game! Tack onto that the Card games and cartoons and then you have a massive huge cash cow, the DS games alone in japan sold something stupid like 1.5 million copies and overall they've sold something stupid like 60 million games across the franchise in total! [/quote]

thing is though, with Pokémon at least, is that it is a different game each time. Sure, there's no real difference between Diamond and Pearl bar which Pokémon you can catch, but in terms of what you can do, where you go, who you fight, what Pokémon you can fight with/against, and what side quests there are, and Diamond/Pearl is a very different game to Ruby/Saphire, Fire Red/Leaf Green, and even Gold/Silver, and the original Red/Blue.

Pro Evo 6 on the other hand, I can't see a difference between it and Pro Evo five, bar new teams, with new players, and a couple of asthetic changes. Last major change Pro Evo had was the inclusion of snow, and if I recall correctly, that was in number five, not six.

I know it's a football game, and there's not a lot you can do to tweak it before anyone says, but I stand by my point that Pro Evo (and football games any professional sports game played on a track or field) in general is nothing more than a yearly update for correct upto date kits, and nothing else.
A Random Link

Quote:

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 9:23 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

[quote=That Thing link=1195654301/0#13 date=1195679376]Quote: Substance

Yeah but you only need one Pro Evo every couple of years to "complete" a master league, but to complete, truly complete a Pokemon game you need slightly different versions of the same game! Tack onto that the Card games and cartoons and then you have a massive huge cash cow, the DS games alone in japan sold something stupid like 1.5 million copies and overall they've sold something stupid like 60 million games across the franchise in total! [/quote]

thing is though, with Pokémon at least, is that it is a different game each time. Sure, there's no real difference between Diamond and Pearl bar which Pokémon you can catch, but in terms of what you can do, where you go, who you fight, what Pokémon you can fight with/against, and what side quests there are, and Diamond/Pearl is a very different game to Ruby/Saphire, Fire Red/Leaf Green, and even Gold/Silver, and the original Red/Blue.

Pro Evo 6 on the other hand, I can't see a difference between it and Pro Evo five, bar new teams, with new players, and a couple of asthetic changes. Last major change Pro Evo had was the inclusion of snow, and if I recall correctly, that was in number five, not six.

I know it's a football game, and there's not a lot you can do to tweak it before anyone says, but I stand by my point that Pro Evo (and football games any professional sports game played on a track or field) in general is nothing more than a yearly update for correct upto date kits, and nothing else.[/quote]

But much like any game franchise, pro evo, Mario you name it, its still essentially the same game albeit presented differently, I could for example, argue that Pokemon is the RPG equivalent of Pro evo, in that you still end up fighting battles with pokemon, much in the same way you still play a game of football.

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 9:36 pm

Quote: Substance
But much like any game franchise, pro evo, Mario you name it, its still essentially the same game albeit presented differently, I could for example, argue that Pokemon is the RPG equivalent of Pro evo, in that you still end up fighting battles with pokemon, much in the same way you still play a game of football.

That's the games mechanics though. You differentiate from that too much and it's not the same game. It's one thing to keep the same gameplay elements, it's another thing entirely to spawn an identical game.

Now if Diamond was released as Pearls successor a year later, people would be fuming because it was an identical game. However, within the game, parts of the story (I agree, there could be much more done with it to be honest ), and some of the attacks within the battles, as well as the set up of some battles, and the puzzles you need to solve change.

Outside of the core mechanics of football though, nothing changes bar the yearly update, and a minor graphical polish. Sit me infront of Pro Evo four footage, and Pro Evo six footage, and I wouldn't be able to tell you which is which, because the game is identical.

I'd argue then that Pro Evo is more guilty of selling the same thing over and over, but for what it is, it can't help but do that, as there is nothing else you can add to it, unless you want to play as a footballer off the pitch. For what it does, Pro Evo encapsulates real life football rather well, but like real life football, very little changes year in year out, so there's no way to change it. Pokémon on the other hand, while still keeping the same gameplay elements it's fans love, could severly change the actual game, not to mention stop making it so essential to have prior games to be able to obtain that 100% complete status in it.
A Random Link

Quote:

Debs|OWA

| 6,513 posts

21st Nov 2007 at 10:12 pm

Debs|OWA - Scree

Scree

Im too lazy for a discussion so im doing the lame format [http://forums.adventchildren.net/images/smilies/wackynod.gif]

Title: Loco Roco

Format: PSP

Genre: Puzzle/Platformer

Basic plot: You're a giant squishy (but really cute) blob living all happy with your blobby existence when suddenly, some blobby aliens invade. You then tilt the planet from side to side moving your big Squishy blob.

Hows it play:Really easily. L-shoulder button moves you left, R-shoulder button moves you right, both together make you jump. Tis the stuff only geniuses can figure out

Graphics: Really, really cute. They're very basic colours and the farthest thing from photorealistic but it just works!

length: Not too long since i finished it in a few hours but it's got replay value!

Deaths: Well if the squishy aliens eat you then your LocoRoco dies

Soundtrack: It's a pretty cute moe-jpop soundtrack but after a while, it loses its cuteness and you just wanna blow your ears off so you dont have to listen to it...or you know...push the mute button

Highlight: When you get to the end of a level and all your little LocoRoco's sing and you just go "Awww i saved them ^^"

Lowlight: The music can be a pain in the a*s and the Pink LocoRoco annoys the hell out of me >>
My Score: 8/10

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

22nd Nov 2007 at 12:08 am

Jewbacca -

Title: Metal Gear Solid
Format: Playstation. I'm not sure if it's on the PC but I once downloaded it somehow... no cut scenes though.
Basic plot: Well, you'll have two mission objectives. First, you're to rescue the DARPA Chief 'Donald Anderson' and the president of ArmsTech 'Kenneth Baker'. They're both being held as hostages. Secondly, you're to investigate whether or not the terrorists have the ability to launch a nuclear strike, and stop them if they do.
Hows it play: Fairly well. No first person shooting and if I remember correctly there's only one speed of walking. These will all have been ironed out for the Gamecube remake, but I'm told you'll have to suffer some pretty unrealistic FMV in return.
Graphics: In a word, Dated. I remember being blown away back in 1999 though. I liked the graphics too.
Fun factor: One of the most enjoyable games I've ever played.
Enemy AI: When it came out.... "Whose footprints are these?" "WTF Z0MG!!1!" In 2007.... it's slightly less impressive (especially after playing MGS2 or 3).
length: After you complete it you get to play through again with either the Stealth Camo or Bandanna. Two different endings too, so it should keep you occupied for a fair amount of time.
Deaths: A few of the baddies, Gray Fox, and a dozen or so genome soldiers.
Soundtrack: Decent.
Highlight: "HAVE AT YOU, SNAKE" and the following battle.
Lowlight: Getting the keycard to change shape by backtracking to the freezer and the furnace. Although this only becomes annoying the second time you play through when you know you're being set up.

When First Released: 10/10
Now: 10/10

Snazzberry

| 2,526 posts

22nd Nov 2007 at 12:32 am

Snazzberry - i r lion. i r bite you.

i r lion. i r bite you.

Title: We <3 Katamari
Format: Playstation. Also, Me & My Katamari exists for psp. very cool.
Genre: japanese (martin says: fun on a stick)
Basic plot: You've got this ball type thing called a katamari that magnetizes everything ever and you roll it around and collect all the stuff. The trick is that you can only roll up stuff that is smaller than the katamari. You generally have to get to a certain size within a certain time but there are variants. The storyline is that the King of All Cosmos rolled up all the stars and stuff in the previous game (Katamari Damacy which i have not played) so all the katamaris you make get turned into stars and planets. At the end you roll them all up into a big fat katamari and then roll up the sun. To which I say
Hows it play: Really well! This being the only video game I've played to completion I dont really know how to answer this question (Martin says: amazingly well, the analouge sticks have never been put to better use POINT)
Graphics: Colorful and fun!! Cartoonishly 3-D, but purposfully so. They don't look crappy and dated or anything.
Fun factor: 1,000,000/10
Enemy AI: There are no enemies YAY for peace love and katamaris!
Length: Pretty short I think. It's not so short you feel like something's missing, not at all, but it's.... finite. Yes.
Deaths: None! (See Enemy AI)
Soundtrack: Fun and neat, to channel David James. The songs get a little repetative after awhile but eh. It's not unbearable, and they add to the fun-factor
Highlight: The King of All Cosmos; also the cute little Cousins, in particular June and Itchigo
Lowlight: When you can't beat a level and you have to play it over and over in all its same-y sameness. Also your thumbs get very tired.

Rating: Best. Game. Ever.
[quote author=the doc link=1161728632/360#370 date=1193262367]If i wanna scratch me balls i use a hedgehog like everyone else.[/quote]

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

22nd Nov 2007 at 12:35 am

Jewbacca -

Naaaaaaaaaaaaa na na na nana naa naa na Katamari Damacy

Great choice. Also...

Quote: Marton
Title: Metal Gear Solid
Fun factor: One of the most enjoyable games I've ever played.

We <3 Katamari is the most enjoyable game I've ever played

Edited by Jewbacca Nov 2007

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

22nd Nov 2007 at 9:46 am

[quote=That Thing link=1195654301/15#15 date=1195680961]Pokémon on the other hand, while still keeping the same gameplay elements it's fans love, could severly change the actual game, not to mention stop making it so essential to have prior games to be able to obtain that 100% complete status in it.[/quote]

Oh, they could. They definitely could. The point is that they won't.

I f*cking hate football games, too, so (barring FM, obviously)

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

22nd Nov 2007 at 9:53 am

snarf!

I want to no when theyll make a proper 3D version

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

22nd Nov 2007 at 10:14 am

Quote: Captain_Stupendo
I want to no when theyll make a proper 3D version

When I am lying in the cold, cold ground.

Snazzberry

| 2,526 posts

24th Nov 2007 at 7:37 pm

Snazzberry - i r lion. i r bite you.

i r lion. i r bite you.

Title: Rock Band
Format: according to geroge, ps2, xbox 360 and ps3
Genre: music playing kind
Basic plot: Pick an istrument: guitar, bass, drums, or vocal chords. Follow the onscreen prompts and make it sound like you're playing a song you've heard on the radio. feel awesome.
Hows it play: Quiet well. The guitar is wquieter than Guitar Hero ones; the drums seem to not always pick up on what you're playing, but maybe thats only if you suck a bit
Graphics: Infinitely better than Guitar Hero. Okay, so the actual graphics werent superior, BUT the singer's mouth matches each song exactly, as does each instrument. Also, the audience doesnt look like they made two animations and repeated them 20 times, it looks good.
Enemy AI: There are no enemies
Length: Perfect
Deaths: None!
Soundtrack: Really good, lots of really cool songs I know, and cool songs I didnt know
Highlight: Feeling like you're really playing something good instead of tapping on some round sensitive pads
Lowlight: Erm..... NONE

Rating: Other. Best. Game. Ever.
[quote author=the doc link=1161728632/360#370 date=1193262367]If i wanna scratch me balls i use a hedgehog like everyone else.[/quote]

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

24th Nov 2007 at 7:50 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Rawr
Basic plot: Pick an istrument: guitar, bass, drums, or vocal chords. Follow the onscreen prompts and make it sound like you're playing a song you've heard on the radio. feel awesome.
Hows it play: Quiet well. The guitar is wquieter than Guitar Hero ones; the drums seem to not always pick up on what you're playing, but maybe thats only if you suck a bit
Graphics: Infinitely better than Guitar Hero. Okay, so the actual graphics werent superior, BUT the singer's mouth matches each song exactly, as does each instrument. Also, the audience doesnt look like they made two animations and repeated them 20 times, it looks good.
Soundtrack: Really good, lots of really cool songs I know, and cool songs I didnt know
Highlight: Feeling like you're really playing something good instead of tapping on some round sensitive pads

I'm so very jealous

Animal

| 32,547 posts

24th Nov 2007 at 11:54 pm

Animal -

Quote: Rawr

Curse you!

Shall be sticking a mass effect review up later.. If I can pull myself away from it long enough to draft something.

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

25th Nov 2007 at 2:09 am

Animal -

Mass Effect.

Many hours and multiple deaths later...

Genre: Futuristic, team based RPG.
Basic plot: You play the saviour of the galaxy

Lets start with the bad.
The death system irritates me, in the same way dying in Morrowind and Oblivion did.. Only worse. In each of the two TES games mentioned you die and can restore from your last save, if you enter a dungeon, thats not too long ago thanks to the autosave feature.. With Mass Effect however, despite their being autosave, it kicks in randomly, meaning you can go many hours without saving.. I have on a few occasions now, had to repeat a couple of hours of game play. Not a bad thing, but irritating.
The team AI can sometimes get on your tits in combat.
While being able to explore a fair few planetary systems, you can only land on a select few planets.
Their are one or two minor annoyances also.. Loading happens a lot. Far too often in my mind.. Though this cannot be helped and doesn't detract from the game. The graphics engine also has a flaw, the same flaw that any Unreal Engine games have - the textures/maps sometimes 'pop' into place (Players of Halo 2 will know exactly what I mean.
The game is taking over my life.

Now on to the good.
Easily one of the best team orientated RPG's I have played in a long time. Reminding me again of why I love Bioware titles. The game shows a natural evolution from the systems developed for the KoTOR and Jade Empire games.
Graphics Mass Effect is mind numbing beautiful, with lots of thought going into the interface, characters, races, locations... Etc, etc..

The plot seems pretty rich, with lots of history and information to pick up on. The levelling system works perfectly. Conversations feel natural, rather than the usual stilted feel you often get with 'choose you speech' games. You also finally get to properly palythe kind of character you want.. You want to be a hard a*s, go for it, squeeky clean so/daughter of humanity, the options are there..

Character customisations are well done, allowing both male and female main characters, to be of one of several backgrounds, types of people and multiple character classes.

Combat is awesome, they really learned a lot from KoTOR. Its all real time, like jade Empire, with the ability to provide orders to team mates via either the D-Pad or a HUD interface for advanced attack commands.

When you hit an uninhabited planet you really do feel like you're out exploring the frontier worlds... Lots of open space (No, you can't go over the whole planet, sadly) some nice side missions, that span the entire galaxy in some cases.. Great little subplots..

I'm too engrossed to say much else right now..

Suffice to say, you must buy this game if you have a 360.

Edited by Animal Nov 2007

Cycling Antics

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

25th Nov 2007 at 6:31 pm

Time for a retro review methinks.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2, for the Mega Drive, is the direct sequal to the acclaimed Sonic the Hedghog. This time around, Sonic and his sidekick Miles "Tails" Prower have to stop Robotnik's doomsday device, the Death Egg. To do this, they have to race through 11 zones, ranging from underwater ruins, to chemical plants, to abandoned mines, to giant manufacturing plants.

In this game you can play as both Sonic and Tails. In all bar one aspect (which I'll get to later) it doesn't matter who you play as, as they control identically. Both Sonic and Tails can do the spinball jump, and the spindash, and they both travel at the same speed. There is no difference between the pair.

It's possible to play as Sonic and Tails together. Like this Tails follows Sonic, copying his actions, albeit with a minor delay. This can be helpful when it comes to the Grabber Badniks in the Chemical Plant Zone, who'll take Sonic prisoner for a moment before harming him, and CPU Tails can destroy them before they'll harm Sonic. However, other than this, CPU Tails is useless, often attacking bosses at a point which'll mean you sail straight through them, causing your innevitable demise.

The answer is to have someone play as Tails on controller two. However, once you realise that Tails won't cost you any lives if he takes a hit, you find you can just find a safe corner to stand in, dodge all of Robotnik's attacks, and let Tails do all the hard work, not worrying about attack patterns, and just smashing Robotnik's Egg-O-Matic to pieces.

I'd call this a design flaw, but even as Sonic alone, it's all too easy to take out the first seven bosses without even trying. The fifth boss in particular can be dealt with by just jumping on him from the second he appears, and he won't take a hit. It's not even a flukey win, as even a novice player can do it. To compensate for this however, the game takes a sudden jump in difficulty in the Metropolis Zone, with some of the most unfair enemy placement, and difficult bosses to date.

The odd thing is the way the games been structured is that the first seven zones seem to encourage quick sprints throughs, even moreso than the original game did. Which is all well and good, but then you run into that brick wall that is the last four zones. This seems a fairer balance than the random pacing of Sonic 1, but will no doubt infuriate those expecting a clean run through.

Access to the Special Stage is now done by jumping into a swirling spiral of stars above a checkpoint marker, which appears if you run past it with fifty (or more) rings. This means it's possible to get all the emeralds before the first boss, which when you consider what you'll get for it, can make the opening stages even easier than they already are.

The Special Stages themselves have also had an overhaul since Sonic 1. This time you control Sonic's left and right movements down a forewarding reaching halfpipe. Sonic runs forward on his own, and you have to grab rings. Get enough to pass three checkpoints and you get the emerald. The first couple aren't too hard, but by the fourth you'll be sweating.

If you're playing as Sonic and Tails together, it's essential to get some human help for the stages, as paths of rings split, and with a second character the total needed gets higher. Even if you can compensate for CPU Tails' stupidity, and slowness at dodging mines, the targets are too high for Sonic to get enough rings.

Your reward for collecting all seven Chaos Emeralds however, is the ability to become Super Sonic. Like this, Sonic runs at the speed he does with speed shoes on, jumps twice as high, and is invincible. This however comes at a price, namely your ring supply. For every second you're Super Sonic you lose a ring. Since there's no way to stop being Super Sonic, you have to get to the end of the act before it runs out, or risk being vulnerable. Super Sonic is also highly erratic, and difficult to control, making you sometimes think it's not a good option to use him.

Except you have no choice. Activiating Super Sonic is done by jumping with 50 (or more) rings. At any point, Sonic with more, Sonic will jump, activate Super Sonic, and fall more or less straight down. Often I've uninetentionally activated it, and plummeted to my death because of it. Super Sonic can be particularly infuriating in longer boss fights, as it'll end before the battle, leaving you without any rings to protect yourself. His irraticness also makes narrow platform jumping more strenuous than it already is, and ruins the flow of the game.

Since the ending is the same (bar one picture) as both Sonic, and as Super Sonic, I can't imagine people wanting to finish the game as him, other than for completionists sake. Tails doesn't get a super form, which is something of a gip for those who went to the effort as Tails, unless they're pusuing high scores, there's no reason to go after it as Tails.

This game is still a solid game, it's still enjoyable, and you will remember bits of it, in particular the whole of Sky Chase Zone, parts of the Death Egg, and most certainly some of the music. The platforming to be found in it is fun, and the levels are engaging, and full of genuine challenges. It's just that sudden difficulty jump, and how certain things weren't thought through fully. Sonic 2, in that respect, seems a bit rushed, and the victim of so many decisions being made against it.

Rumours have circulated that Sonic 2 was to include time travel like Sonic CD, and it's obvious from the sound test menu that at least one level was removed due to time constraints.* This game does what it does well, but it doesn't seem to quite know just what it is it's doing. There's certainly nothing wrong with this game, other than whats already been said, but it just doesn't seem to do anything majorly special. It's a by-the-numbers sequal to a very good game, and while it can't be criticised for that, you can't help but wonder what if...

*Four were never finished to be exact. Only two made it beyond the drawing board, and only one was actually close to assembly when they were dtiched for time.
A Random Link

Quote:

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

26th Nov 2007 at 3:55 pm

snarf!

Title: Mass Effect
Genre: 3rd person action adventure/ RPG
Basic plot: You are Commander Sheppard, kick a*s space marine or whatever you choose him to be. It s your job to stop the return of Evil machines from destroying all organic life in the galaxy.
Hows it play: Amazing, the combats great, even though your teamates can be retarded sometimes, the speech is fantastic and makes you feel as though your in a movie. Massive galaxy to explore with loads of side quests.
Graphics: True next gen, fantastic
Fun factor: I love every second of it, except the parts where you keep dying, autosave can be a pain in the a*s.
length: Epic storyline and you can spent weeks just travelling the galaxy looking for stuff to do.
Deaths: A lot, evil geth mostly but there is a shock later on.
Soundtrack: epic sci-fi score, love it.
Highlight: Being evil to aliens always makes me chuckle, and the exploration aspects are great.
Lowlight: annoying auto-save, and the graphics do glitch a bit but nothing ruining.
My Score: Excellent the true heir to knights of the old republic ( the first one). 9/10

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

3rd Dec 2007 at 11:09 am

Chris Kamara -

I definitely don't want to see this thread dying, so any time it goes off Page 1 I'm going to post!

Title: Sensible Soccer
Format: Mega Drive
Genre: Sports sim.
Basic plot: Pick a team, play football, win.
Hows it play: Better than any other football game at the time. In terms of gameplay it was the Pro Evo before Pro Evo was about. Played like a dream, without the isometric layout of the Fifa series, and the fancy graphics.
Graphics: Basic but sufficient.
Fun factor: 10/10 for fun fact. It was very difficult to tire of playing great football, and on the rare occasions where you did, you could make your own team up. I made my own team based on my school's football team, with me up front banging in all the goals. Great days.
Length: I'd still play it now if I had it.
Deaths: n/a
Highlight: All of it, but probably the feature that lets you make your own team; it was brilliant.
Lowlight: If I had to put something, I'd say the graphics, but they were hardly shocking, they suited the game well really.
My Score: 8.5/10

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

3rd Dec 2007 at 12:23 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Title: Super Mario Galaxy
Format: Nintendo Wii
Genre: Action Platforming Adventure
Basic plot: This mean dude with some crazy red hair turns up and runs off with this Plumbers bit on the side so the plumber runs off to beat the sh*t out of him and win back his fair lady.
Hows it play: Without a doubt the best gameplay found in a platformer since mario 64, easy to use but hard to master. Jumping around planets in space and mucking about with gravity is some of the most fun you can have without breaking several laws.
Graphics: The best seen so far on nintendo wii, the lighting effects are spectacular, simply beautiful art design.
Fun factor: 10/10 all the way, like I say it's very very fun
Length: You have to collect 60 stars to fight the last boss which shouldn't take yo too long but there are 120 to gather in the game and that will take you quite a bit longer and then once you've done that you unlock a new thing to play through the whole game again with and then you unlock one final level once you've got all 240 stars. So it's prety lengthy if you want to do everything
Deaths: Not really no.
Highlight: If I had to pick one bit......no I can't it's all too good.
Lowlight: It doesn't last for ever
My Score: 10/10

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

3rd Dec 2007 at 12:25 pm

Chris Kamara -

/me is jealous at lack of Wii and Super Mario Galaxy

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

3rd Dec 2007 at 12:26 pm

Carpet Remnant -

As are many people it seems, Wiis are hard to get hold of at the moment even a year after release whereas PS3s litter the shelves. Justice is sweet

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

3rd Dec 2007 at 12:30 pm

Chris Kamara -

I can't afford either machine. Or a 360. I've still got a PS2, but much to mine and a mate's displeasure, I've left it back at home so I can't play Pro Evo online

Animal

| 32,547 posts

3rd Dec 2007 at 12:34 pm

Animal -

Quote: Zeus_Carver
As are many people it seems, Wiis are hard to get hold of at the moment even a year after release whereas PS3s litter the shelves. Justice is sweet

So very, very tempted to flog mine in the next few weeks, then replace it come January. I reckon you could easily fetch double for them on ebay.

Cycling Antics

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

3rd Dec 2007 at 12:41 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Ignignokt
Quote: Zeus_Carver

So very, very tempted to flog mine in the next few weeks, then replace it come January. I reckon you could easily fetch double for them on ebay.

that is very tempting indeed, I might do it

Put it on at £180, then I'll at least break even.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

3rd Dec 2007 at 12:43 pm

Animal -

Yeah, I was thinking the same. You need to time it right though. get it on early enough to be able to get it posted before christmas, but late enough to be able to hit the buying rush.

Plus their is the added problem of being Wii-less between when you flog it and when you replace it. Which I don't think I could do.

Cycling Antics

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

3rd Dec 2007 at 12:44 pm

Chris Kamara -

I did that with my PS2 when the slimline version came out. I think I might have said before. I made £100 I think it was, probably could have got more if I'd auctioned it proper instead of having 'buy it now' as an option. Still, I was happy at the time.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 11:28 am

learrggh -

Title: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warefare

Genre: FPS

Basic plot: Something to do with Russians and terrorists and nukes and being killed by a grenade every other minute.

Graphics: Not very good. Pales in comparison to COD 3.

Fun factor: I'll pass.

length: As yet I haven't completed it but it doesn't seem that long. I'm close to completion after two afternoons.

Deaths: Rather alot. If you don't move forward the enemies keep spawning and as such you can build up quite the pile of corpses.

Soundtrack: Random and varied.

Highlight: Bombing things in the helicopter. It feels like smiting the weak. ^_^

Lowlight: Repetitive, with some extremely frustrating areas (e.g. the 'you has 12 minutes to get to missile thingy' mission where there are no checkpoints and a constant barrage of flailing russians - if you die, you restart, I have wasted so much time on this, it feels like chinese water torture) which once completed don't leave you with any sense of satisfaction.

The weapons and gameplay are almost identical to COD 3 - so much for the hype.

Getting killed by a grenade every other minute is a common fixture of the game, as is running around madly trying to avoid grenades.

Also you have to kill dogs which I find unpleasant. :-[

My Score: 6/10

If you enjoyed COD 3 you'll love this once you get used to the graphics.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 11:31 am

Carpet Remnant -

I haven't played call of duty 4 but I'm sure the graphics are meant to be much better than call of duty 3s....aren't they?

Animal

| 32,547 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 11:40 am

Animal -

Quote: vespertilio

Graphics: Not very good. Pales in comparison to COD 3.

WHAT?

Are you playing it on one of these by any chance?

On a decent HD set the game looks damned near photo-realistic at times.

Cycling Antics

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 11:48 am

Chris Kamara -

I played it down at Xtra-vision one time and it was absolutely sh*t hot. I was tempted to nick the whole setup.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 2:12 pm

learrggh -

Seriously it looks like Counterstrike. -_-

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 2:21 pm

snarf!

From what Ive seen it looks amazing, far better than CoD3. Ill be getting this by the end of next week after ive traded in Assasins creed and a few others.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 4:14 pm

Animal -

What kind of TV are you using to game on? I wonder if it could be the optimisation of the game that's at fault here.

I know early games on the 360 (King Kong and Dead Rising being the first two to spring to mind) were optimised for HD gaming only, causing the games to look either average or pish on SD TV's
I know Dead Rising's text is impossible to read on SD TV's due to this.

Cycling Antics

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 4:38 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Ignignokt
I know Dead Rising's text is impossible to read on SD TV's due to this.

I managed.......

Animal

| 32,547 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 5:23 pm

Animal -

Yeah, a lot did, but the 'calls' text that would pop up from time to time is horrible, it really is.

Check the difference between SD and HD in the game at some point if you can, you'll see exactly what I mean.

Cycling Antics

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 9:53 am

Carpet Remnant -

I don't have a HD telly

Animal

| 32,547 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 10:00 am

Animal -

You got a Desktop PC? If so I recommend getting a 360 - VGA adaptor and use your PC monitor from time to time. It'll let you play in HD that way.

Cycling Antics

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 10:03 am

Carpet Remnant -

The family pc is a desktop but it's in use by dad and brother constantly so they prolly wouldn't appreciate me taking the monitor, in my room it's just a laptop.

I need to get my 360 fixed before I start buying new tellies though

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: