My whole bloody future

Posted In: Main. Reading This Thread:

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 2:36 pm

So, I found out this week I failed part of my second year of uni. They've told me I'm allowed to carry on with my final year provided I also take this extra module again.

The options I have now are to either carry on one more year, doing a course I've realised I don't like, except even more of it, or to drop out and get a real job.

Now, I already have a decent-ish job. As you may or may not know, I got promoted the other week to Assistant Bar Manager at Mosh, and could potentially become Bar Manager provided I have a bit of extra time during the day free, which would put me on around
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 2:40 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Finish the degree, you can use it as a basis for future job applications regardless of industry.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 2:40 pm

Chris Kamara -

I've always been told to go as far as you possibly can in education. Think in 5 years...are you really going to want to be working in the same bar, when everyone else is out doing new things?

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 2:55 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

A degree is always something good to have. By carrying on you may not enjoy the next year as much as possible but at least it makes something of your past two. Not everyone uses their degree anyway, but it's a good stepping stone to get into many good professions.

And Martin's right, do you really want to work in the bar for the forseeable future?
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Tired/Happy

| 5,601 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 2:55 pm

So you can't take any other courses then?
I'd say just stay with the course till the end of the year- like Phil said, it'll look good when applying for other jobs, even if they're not related to it. And I think just keep Mosh as a part-time job - you should do something more interesting that that.
"Sometimes people don't build walls to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to tear them down."
Thom is happy

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 2:56 pm

Quote: Elusive_Moose_
And Martin's right, do you really want to work in the bar for the forseeable future?

It's not working in a bar, it's RUNNING a bar.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 3:01 pm

Chris Kamara -

that's irrelevant unless you really want to be doing it in the future. if it's what you want to do, then you've answered your own question.

panda_juice

| 56 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 3:34 pm

panda_juice - i rape vegetables

i rape vegetables

HI
Everything you do, every desision effects your'e future. The assistant managers job is a dream for many , the degree is a dream for many. I am assuming you have paid into this degree? Then by all means resit the module and finish the course it would be stupid not to, UNLESS you are either so put off by possible failure , or you do not want to finish the course. Job prospect wise RUNNING a bar especially a club bar is a valuable and transferable skill, its damn hard. So i doubt you are a quitter. It is not doing anyone any favors to finish a course you do not enjoy, can you not transfer? work for now study later?did you enrol to do a course without knowing what career you wanted? a degree gets you a management position in mcdonnalds and a fast track to officer in the army, without drive ambition and a certain amout of luck you have no guarentee of a graduate job. Having this degree however does open some doors, having work experience especially managerial also opens doors, together it is a good thing. How much work will this failed module take ? I really do think you should carry on in education but talking to your tutor/s will be a good idea as this will set you back approximately
hikeys boyfriend

Phil

| 7,619 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 3:38 pm

Phil - Hippo Moderator of Heck!

Hippo Moderator of Heck!

I'm going to go a bit against the grain. If you're really not interested in the course anymore, and you're feeling stressed. Then don't finish just for the sake of getting a degree.

It's not like if you drop out you're going to be consigned to bar work for the rest of you're future. If you get premoted to manager, so long as you don't bankrupt the company it'll look great on your CV. After all, the essential skills required for running a bar aren't all that different (if at all) for running any other company.

Follow your heart, if you don't want to be stuck doing your degree, drop out. On the other hand - if you have your sights set on a job thats going to require a degree, then stick it out. I think probably, deep down, you know what you REALLY think you should do, and theres only you that knows what you really want to do. don't do it on a whim though,
She's the kind of girl that leaves out condoms on the bedroom dresser
Just to make you jealous of the men she f*cked before you met her.

panda_juice

| 56 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 4:42 pm

panda_juice - i rape vegetables

i rape vegetables

LOOK GUYS he is calling himself NON STUDENT PABLO maybe thats his subconcious talking but it screams future bar mananger to me
hikeys boyfriend

Topper

| 6,773 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 4:53 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Hey Joel. Don't stress too much, I can say I know what you're going through, because I failed 2 of my second year modules. The difference being, they gave me another go at them over summer. Luckily I passed them 2nd go around but if I'd failed I' wouldn't be able to carry on and finish my degree. I'd be f*cked, or so I thought.
To be honest, I haven't really enjoyed my course either, I've ambled through it, producing when I had to but haven't got into it as much as other people. I came to the conclusion that If I failed my re-sits I wouldn't be too bothered. I'm not saying this would be the same for you, but you don't seem to be enjoying your course much either. Seeing it through is an option. Get your degree, work hard at it, after all 'If something's worth doing it's worth doing properly'. Then, you have a degree and your future is yours again. Do what you actually want to, be a binman, disemble Parliament, whatever, at least you have the option of carrying on with law after, because you'll have your degree.

Anyway, good luck dude, feel free to talk to me on msn about it if you like.
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Bob Flapper

| 5,002 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 4:53 pm

Bob Flapper - Me?!

Me?!

Thing is Joel, you've already done two years of your degree. Future job interviewers can look at that as a university drop out. You like your job now, but say you got your degree you can still work in said bar, as happy as a pig in a pig strip club, but another better paid job comes around that requires a degree, you would have that option.

Phil raises a good point though, if you're not enjoying yourself then why get yourself in more university debt for something you hate?

If I were you I'd finish the b*st*rd. Get it in the bag and you'll be flying.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 4:55 pm

Chris Kamara -

Quote:
If I were you I'd finish the b*st*rd. Get it in the bag and you'll be flying

...especially if you've paid for it

Lucozade Lover

| 8,558 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 5:02 pm

Lucozade Lover -

Quote: BBF_

If I were you I'd finish the b*st*rd. Get it in the bag and you'll be flying.

Ditto. It's one more year... and if you can grit your teeth and get down to business the debt won't have been a waste of time.

aporkalypse

| 4,428 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 5:06 pm

aporkalypse - rawr![/comedy finish]

rawr![/comedy finish]

Why cant you do both?

Not at the same time because i dont think you can drop out AND finish a degree...

But why not do this bar job thing until you know what you want to do with the rest of your life, if you dont see yourself being ally mcbeal with balls then do the bar manager thing until you get that sudden flash of inspiration we all crave.

However one thing for doing the degree is that this is the best time to do it, you've not got a lot of debt tying you down or any family commitments. The mature students always complain about how hard it is to fit in being a good parent as well as chasing the dream.

But good luck in whatever you do...as long as it involves keeping our column alive
A firm favourite for fake alibis and general practices.

[quote author=Citizen Twiggy link=board=spam;num=1105791842;start=390#391 date=04/18/05 at 19:17:29]He said my lack of height was alright because he was looking for quirks.[/quote]

wombat

| 8,154 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 9:53 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

I'm no expert- but hey, nobody said that it would be easy, nobody said it was going to be fun. but it's a degree mate. A degree- especially in law- shows not only dedication, but education. As I'm sure you know, you don't have to do the degree and get a job in that field... I met a man who has a medical degree, but became a pilot- a degree just make you stick out from the oiks.

but imagine if you thew away the course and got this manager job. Fair enough... but what if you hated it. You'd spend all your life wishing you'd never given up the chance you had as a student.

do the degree, you know you should- thats why you are asking our advice. You knew what we will all say, (except Phil. but he doesn't count) and just want us to persuade you.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Animal

| 32,547 posts

22nd Sept 2004 at 10:57 pm

Animal -

In regards to a degree giving better chance with a job in the future, they dont, trust me, as someone who is in full time employment and who has been in many jobs ive seen hundreds of people with degrees doing the same sh*tty jobs im doing as a non uni student. A lot of companies now hire on the ability to do a job anyway, not a degree - BT for example look at what skills you have aquired within the company instead of what skills you have aquired in education. But yeah, the amount of people walking out of Uni with degrees now mean they hold little meaning in the working world as relevent ways of judging anyones ability to do a job - yes you may be qualified to do something but how many degree students in all honesty go on to full time employment in the area they studied in? Look at a guy i know in ireland, he did the same courses fee is doing - politics and history and is now an air traffic controller (Ok, having a degree did essentially get him the job since you ned to be able to handle high stress levels but shush - thats not the point im making, all im trying to say is degree holders are more an more commen now, meaning degrees mean less and less.)

And Joel -
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

23rd Sept 2004 at 7:31 am

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

Don't carry on the degree just to keep your parents happy. I imagine it is your student loan and your debt and your life... you do what you want with it. I don't know much about the value of degrees to be honest, there seem to be varying opinions. I'm only doing one because I like learning stuff. But yeah, follow yer heart.

23rd Sept 2004 at 2:28 pm

And Then My Mind Split Open... - mischievous kids cuss

mischievous kids cuss

I work part time in a record shop and get more than
They imitate but I teach

Emma

| 9,777 posts

24th Sept 2004 at 10:23 am

Emma - EXTREME!

EXTREME!

I say don't carry on with a degree you don't enjoy, and won't get anything out of in the end of the day (or at least not much)

Whatever people say, the fact that you have a degree isn't gonna make a sh*t of difference unless you wanna go for a job which has a direct link to what its in. Trust me, I know, at work we get people with degrees in loads of stuff saying they've got a degree and have changed their mind in what they want to do... they get ignored. In most jobs experience is taken above qualifications anyway... and if you're gonna carry on and get a law degree and then not want to work in law it will be almost useless to you.

I've always said that unless you at least are sure what area you want to work in (just the rough are mind) its pointless spending thousands at uni because you may well change your mind and come out of it, yes, with a degree, but at the end of the day you're not much better off and it HAS been a watsed however many years because it's not gonna help you get a job in a differennt field of work.

IMO the experience you get from running the bar is gonna be more worthwhile than your degree, especially knowing what you want to end up doing in the future as well.

However as Darren (and others) said, 6K for running a bar?????? If thats only part time... then fine... but you couldn't survive on that alone, so be careful!

Good luck.
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Graham

| 5,553 posts

24th Sept 2004 at 10:48 am

I'll keep mine short....

Id say stay in uni, i work part time in Sainsbury's, and i manage more then 6k a year, and if you have paid for the course...it's money down the drain.
It's only one more year, which will go past quickly, and at the end of the day, you can come out with a few letters after your name, and it'll (probably) feel brilliant.

i know its going over what has already been said, but its true...just go with what you feel is best for you.

Good luck mate.
Quote: Barry Duffman, Aug 2008
it still doesnt make sense! He's talking about putting potatoes in cement to cook them!!

Lucozade Lover

| 8,558 posts

24th Sept 2004 at 11:48 am

Lucozade Lover -

I thought law was one of those more transferable degrees which would impress ANY EMPLOYER. Granted if you were doing English Literatureand wanted to go into bar managing little would be transferable apart from certain skills you'd get from any degree. I found Wine Studies at Brighton a humourous option in the UCAS book. It's not strictly relevant but as you want to run a bar, it reminded me.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

24th Sept 2004 at 5:22 pm

I should clarify,

Emma

| 9,777 posts

25th Sept 2004 at 3:09 pm

Emma - EXTREME!

EXTREME!

Good luck joel

I thought it'd be part time...
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 12:42 pm

Have now made a final decision.

I'm staying. Too much to give up at this point.

Cheers everyone for the advice, even if I disregarded most of it.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 12:45 pm

Chris Kamara -

I think it's the right choice.

EvilTongs

| 2,176 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 12:52 pm

Not here much.

Seconded
Too often we lose sight of life's simple pleasures. Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. But it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and slap the motherf*cker upside the head.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

29th Sept 2004 at 1:00 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Yeah, disregarding our advice was definitely the best thing to do

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page