I hate my life.

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Obinice

| 126 posts

30th Aug 2009 at 3:40 am

Obinice - Existential crisis mode.

Existential crisis mode.

I hate my life.

Not the kind of hate where you get really angry. No. I don't have the energy to be angry. I just hate my life, full stop.

What's the point in being angry about it? That gets you nowhere. In fact, nothing gets you anywhere, ever.

Ordinarily, I would mumble this to myself as I lay in bed staring at the blackness of night. However, you are here, and so am I.

I have no future at the moment. Not in education, employment, relationship, I can even see some of my long term friendships coming to a closure rather soon.

I'm not after sympathy. Preferably, a solution. Preferably even....you can all join me in misery. After all....misery loves company, and you're welcome at the home of the blues.

Some of you have known love, some haven't. Some have known disconnection from society and reality, some haven't. Some of you, won't really understand what I mean, but think you do.

What fun.

Um, so yes. I do hate my life. I have for a while now, for more than just a while. I don't actively talk to even my closest of friends about it, because it's awkward and unresolvable.

One of the problems, is that I don't care enough about certain things. For example, I bet you all care about getting a job. Well sure, I want happiness, worldly goods, but....a job? The whole premise of a job, is something you don't enjoy doing.

I understand....that people do something they don't enjoy, because it is offset by something they enjoy far more. For example, continuing to live.

But, beyond biologically living, are you really living, spending most of your life doing something you don't enjoy, surrounded by people you don't like?

I worked in an office for a year, not much granted, but that's how I feel about it. Don't tell me that your experience is different. If you had a nice time working with your fellow man, then YOU'RE the person I didn't like at that office. The sort of person who gets along with everyone because they're all on the same wavelength.

Girls into cosmetics, guys into cars.

Not me.

This goes under rants, I think. But...it's more than just a rant. You, my lovely stranger, know a little about me, that some of my best friends do not.

Now, go have a cup of tea and watch the news, or...whatever.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

30th Aug 2009 at 6:37 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

i do feel disconnected as well. When i was little, i used to think that one day i'd stop being shy. It never happened, though. i'm still shy. And i do sometimes wish that i could be better at talking to people in real life but that's never going to happen either. But i try to live with it even though it's kind of disappointing.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Claire

| 15,814 posts

30th Aug 2009 at 9:57 am

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

I'm going to tell you something. When I was 16, this was me. I had no friends, I was so ill I never left the house, I didn't want a job, or a boyfriend, or to do anything. I wanted to stop existing. People and interaction were little more than a chore to me. But YOU have to make the effort. That is the solution. If you stare at the walls saying how much you hate life then you aren't doing anything constructive. If you hate it, change it. Find out what your good qualities are, and use them. VR helped me to realise I have a strange sense of humour which everyone around me now seems to love. It helps me get in there and make friends, where before I would have just sat there wondering what to say or wishing they'd go away so I could stop feeling uncomfortable. Now, I just say what I think. You get one life and what's the point in it if you don't do what YOU want to do?

I still don't have a lot of friends, but I found the courage to talk to a few people on here and in reality who I now consider to be good friends, and to get a job. I say courage. I mean arsedness. You can say "Ohhh, what's the point in work? It makes me miserable" but it doesn't have to. There are jobs which you can enjoy, but you're the one who has to decide what you want to do with your life. Nobody else can do it for you. If you don't like offices, cross it off your list. I didn't, but the office I'm in now we have a laugh and the day goes quick and I get paid a sh*tload for doing a rewarding job that I actually enjoy, and I never thought that could happen. But it can.

I'm not surrounded by people I don't like simply because I don't take sh*t. If I don't like you, you're going to know about it, but it's about balance. It's about knowing to take a step back from sh*t people and taking a step forward towards people who make you happy. If you can't find anyone you really get along with, I hate to say it but you have a problem, because you're surrounded by about 20 here at least. It's you that has to make the effort. If you don't, don't whine about it.

My point, in summary. If you don't like office jobs, get a job you do enjoy. Really think about what you'd do in your wildest dreams and GO FOR IT. If you don't like the people you're surrounded by, step back and find new people. There are billions to choose from, you're not going to like every chocolate bar in the store but there's so much choice that you can find one you like. Regarding getting a girlfriend, you need to focus on yourself first. If you have the attitude that people aren't worth it, no girl is going to be attracted because girls want attention not apathy. That's the solution. You. Nobody else. You hate your life, make it work for you. That's your job, nobody else's.
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

Paula

| 4,556 posts

30th Aug 2009 at 12:58 pm

Paula - King of Knights

King of Knights

I'm feeling the need to throw my two cents in so I'm sorry if I'm just rehashing what's already been said.

I've also been in this kind of situation. There was even a point that it was so rare for me to leave the house that my next door neighbor had assumed that I'd moved out and was surprised any time he saw me.

The truth of the matter is that there was no way in hell I could have put my life back together all by myself. It is scary as f*ck to try to find someone to talk to, especially if you've got yourself convinced that you are all by yourself and that no-one can understand.

I can only speak for myself here, but my path out of hell was to take a step back from everything and figure out what it was that I needed. My biggest regret was that I didn't go to college when I was 16 even though I had the place confirmed. Going back was the scariest thing I've ever done but it was more than worth it. First off I was able to talk to the Tutors about the courses and get myself onto a more suitable course, one with people more my age instead of school leavers. That made it easier to be around them and just being around like minded people can be such a good thing in itself. As well as that I was able to talk to the Welfare advisors who I can honestly say are some of the best people I have ever met. They didn't try to push me into opening up like a councilor or anything, they were just there when I needed to ask about something and because I was able to build up the relationship on my own terms it made it easier to talk about the bigger things.

It's not easy, and it won't happen overnight but there are ways to deal with stuff like this. It's just taking that first step and figuring out what it is that you need to do thats scary. I'm not saying that after that gets easier but in my opinion it's better to have tried rather then spend your whole life wishing things were different

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 3:16 pm

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

All I want to say is that you SHOULD be angry.

Angry is good. You should be f*cking p*ssed off that you currently have a life that you hate. And because you are so p*ssed off you should do everything you can think of to change it. And everything anyone else thinks of for that matter, if you are currently lacking inspiration.

What are you waiting for exactly? No-one is going to arrive at your door and hand you a billion squid. You're right that some people spend their whole lives making money, and not enjoying their lives. But on the other hand you need money to stay alive and to be able to do those things you enjoy. And there are good jobs out there, I'm not sure where you got the whole 'all jobs are sh*t' idea from.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 5:19 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: Jingle, Sept 2009

Angry is good. You should be f*cking p*ssed off that you currently have a life that you hate. And because you are so p*ssed off you should do everything you can think of to change it. And everything anyone else thinks of for that matter, if you are currently lacking inspiration.

What are you waiting for exactly? No-one is going to arrive at your door and hand you a billion squid. You're right that some people spend their whole lives making money, and not enjoying their lives. But on the other hand you need money to stay alive and to be able to do those things you enjoy. And there are good jobs out there, I'm not sure where you got the whole 'all jobs are sh*t' idea from.

He isn't angry. At. All. He's apathetic.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 5:25 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: Obinice, Aug 2009
I hate my life.

Not the kind of hate where you get really angry. No. I don't have the energy to be angry. I just hate my life, full stop.

What's the point in being angry about it? That gets you nowhere. In fact, nothing gets you anywhere, ever.

Ordinarily, I would mumble this to myself as I lay in bed staring at the blackness of night. However, you are here, and so am I.

I have no future at the moment. Not in education, employment, relationship, I can even see some of my long term friendships coming to a closure rather soon.

I'm not after sympathy. Preferably, a solution. Preferably even....you can all join me in misery. After all....misery loves company, and you're welcome at the home of the blues.

Some of you have known love, some haven't. Some have known disconnection from society and reality, some haven't. Some of you, won't really understand what I mean, but think you do.

What fun.

Um, so yes. I do hate my life. I have for a while now, for more than just a while. I don't actively talk to even my closest of friends about it, because it's awkward and unresolvable.

One of the problems, is that I don't care enough about certain things. For example, I bet you all care about getting a job. Well sure, I want happiness, worldly goods, but....a job? The whole premise of a job, is something you don't enjoy doing.

I understand....that people do something they don't enjoy, because it is offset by something they enjoy far more. For example, continuing to live.

But, beyond biologically living, are you really living, spending most of your life doing something you don't enjoy, surrounded by people you don't like?

I worked in an office for a year, not much granted, but that's how I feel about it. Don't tell me that your experience is different. If you had a nice time working with your fellow man, then YOU'RE the person I didn't like at that office. The sort of person who gets along with everyone because they're all on the same wavelength.

Girls into cosmetics, guys into cars.

Not me.

This goes under rants, I think. But...it's more than just a rant. You, my lovely stranger, know a little about me, that some of my best friends do not.

Now, go have a cup of tea and watch the news, or...whatever.

If you truly hated your life you i'd want to end it or you'd want to change it and I've been at both points. But the change doesn't come without effort and if you are too apathetic to try then I think you deserve your lot in life, however if you can muster up enough energy to change something, one little thing then it'll help.

Oh and how can belittle people who enjoy their work? I enjoy mine, I learn stuff all the time, meet interesting people all that, its part of my life. Sure I wish I could bum around w*nking 7 times a day, trying for the record of 8 and watching sh*t telly, but where would I be? With all the other apathetic sh*thouse c*nt losers, I'd rather make the effort to drag myself out of that, make a career for myself like I am doing, make enough money to look after my family and friends, to help people out including myself.

In summary, if you can't be arsed trying to change, accept it and stop moaning.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 5:52 pm

the doc -

I've generally got a terrible attitude towards work, but even I've managed to find I job that I like

Claire

| 15,814 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 6:21 pm

I wondered when someone else would find this thread and join in the ranting. It's a bit silly to whine about a life you have no intention of changing. I think this guy's already disappeared from VR again, though. Possibly to find a fulfilling job, who can say?

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 7:08 pm

the doc -

Quote: the doc, Sept 2009
I've generally got a terrible attitude towards work, but even I've managed to find I job that I like

I spose I should probably qualify that a little by saying apathy in itself is a very difficult thing to shift. In my case it was massively complicated (although not necessarily caused by) several periods of crippling depression that ate up the years between me being thirteen and twenty eight. If I was gonna be a smart a*se I'd bring Nietzsche into the 21st century and say if you stare at the TV for too long then after a while all you can see is the TV staring right back at you. But I'm not, so I won't

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 7:24 pm

Chris Kamara -

Obinice, real name no gimmicks.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 7:25 pm

Animal -

Just to throw a spanner in the works.

Its not always as simple as 'finding a job you like'

Myself for example, I don't like settling in one role or job for more than a couple of years, I get bored easily so look to move onto the next big thing. Not bad if you are in a firm where you can move from role to role. However, thats a luxury that isn't always available.

Hell, its only in the last two weeks I got myself into a situation where I may be able to do just that. Prior to this I've jumped from role to role, job to job, career to career.

Even before I start at Zen I'm already planning ahead and looking for the next shift in employer.

This said.. I'm actually happier doing this, it keeps me on my toes and keeps me learning and fresh.. You just need to find an approach and a line of short term/long term work that can hold your attention for a while.. Or, if you can't do that, fall in with people who you get on with. Even in the mind numbing BT call centre job I had, I was kept sane by my workmates who were, luckily, a decent bunch.
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 7:46 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: Das Buroski, Sept 2009

Myself for example, I don't like settling in one role or job for more than a couple of years, I get bored easily so look to move onto the next big thing. Not bad if you are in a firm where you can move from role to role. However, thats a luxury that isn't always available.

Hell, its only in the last two weeks I got myself into a situation where I may be able to do just that. Prior to this I've jumped from role to role, job to job, career to career.

Even before I start at Zen I'm already planning ahead and looking for the next shift in employer.

This said.. I'm actually happier doing this, it keeps me on my toes and keeps me learning and fresh.. You just need to find an approach and a line of short term/long term work that can hold your attention for a while.. Or, if you can't do that, fall in with people who you get on with. Even in the mind numbing BT call centre job I had, I was kept sane by my workmates who were, luckily, a decent bunch.

Correct. But unless you're willing to try you really are f*cked, and you sir are a tryer and you have now progressed, you're life reminds me of the first level of Altered Beast, filled with the undead and a giant head shooting tree monster at the end.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 7:52 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Tuco, Sept 2009
I hate my life.

Sure I wish I could bum around w*nking 7 times a day, trying for the record of 8 and watching sh*t telly

Not as much fun as you think it would be.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 8:03 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: Buffalo Bill, Sept 2009
I hate my life.

Sure I wish I could bum around w*nking 7 times a day, trying for the record of 8 and watching sh*t telly

Not as much fun as you think it would be.

The fun never lasts with anything these days

Claire

| 15,814 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 8:06 pm

Correct. But unless you're willing to try you really are f*cked.

Long and short of it right there. It's not about not being able to find a job you actually enjoy, it's about trying. You can't say "Oh no, my life is sh*t, I can't find a good job" if you don't first get off your a*se and have a look. Hell, you don't even need to get off your a*se these days.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 8:23 pm

Animal -

Correct. But unless you're willing to try you really are f*cked, and you sir are a tryer and you have now progressed, you're life reminds me of the first level of Altered Beast, filled with the undead and a giant head shooting tree monster at the end.
You know whats weird? I actually encountered a giant head shooting tree monster the other week... Nice chap, bit odd, mind... Might invite him over at some point.

You are correct however, I am very trying.

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 8:47 pm

I Cunt Spell -

Quote: Claire, Sept 2009
Hell, you don't even need to get off your a*se these days.

Tell me how please.
I've been very much off my a*se for the past 2 months and not so much as an interview.

I concur on the trying front though.
I'm having a terrible time at the minute but even whinging feels better when you know you're being proactive.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 9:20 pm

Quote: lauf of bread, Sept 2009

Tell me how please.
I've been very much off my a*se for the past 2 months and not so much as an interview.

I'm having a terrible time at the minute but even whinging feels better when you know you're being proactive.

Um Job Centre website? Local paper website? Graduate websites...er...NHS website, local council website. The internet makes the world your oyster. I got the job I'm in now without even having to leave the house to post anything.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 9:29 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Tell me how please.

Go to Manchester. The only f*cking graduate schemes there are for graphic designers/ web designers and an accountant.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 9:32 pm

I Cunt Spell -

Actually I'm not looking for anything in design anymore, but even the coffee shops won't take me.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 9:47 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

I got rejected by Asda. They actually wrote me a letter telling me they didn't want me
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 9:49 pm

I Cunt Spell -

Quote: Skank, Sept 2009
I got rejected by Asda. They actually wrote me a letter telling me they didn't want me

I was deemed unfit to work at Pizza Hut.
By a machine none the less.
It's a dire state of affairs.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

2nd Sept 2009 at 9:58 pm

Animal -

Quote: Skank, Sept 2009
I got a similar one from WH Smiths several years back.

Quite amusing all things considered.

Cycling Antics

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

3rd Sept 2009 at 7:02 am

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

...Yeah. That was the point I was trying to make? Apathy sucks.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

3rd Sept 2009 at 7:12 am

Pope of Chilli Town -

I'm indifferent to it

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

3rd Sept 2009 at 7:38 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

I'm indifferent to it

i feel like agreeing with Phil but i can't be bothered.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

3rd Sept 2009 at 7:53 am

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: Rayanne Graff, Sept 2009

I'm indifferent to it

i feel like agreeing with Phil but i can't be bothered.

Meh.

Obinice

| 126 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 2:57 am

Existential crisis mode.

Quote: Claire, Aug 2009
YOU have to make the effort. That is the solution. If you stare at the walls saying how much you hate life then you aren't doing anything constructive. If you hate it, change it. Find out what your good qualities are, and use them. (...) You get one life and what's the point in it if you don't do what YOU want to do?

Quite true, quite true. Sometimes I get up in the morning and think about how to change things. But...I'm at a loss for how. As for good qualities, well I can be nice sometimes, and I learn by doing. Not exactly qualities, but there you go. Not really much to work with...lol. However, you make an excellent point, and I'm sure you will go far in life!

You can say "Ohhh, what's the point in work? It makes me miserable" but it doesn't have to. There are jobs which you can enjoy, but you're the one who has to decide what you want to do with your life. Nobody else can do it for you. If you don't like offices, cross it off your list.

The definition of work (at least in my eyes) is doing something that you don't enjoy doing. If it's something you do enjoy doing, it's not work it's play. It may be effort, but it's still fun, it's still "play". I can't imagine any job that will pay me to "play", and I can't imagine myself enjoying anything that could be called "work". Sure, I'd enjoy the money and what I can buy with it, but I'd still be spending 27% of my week doing something I don't enjoy. That's somewhere in the reigon of 11 years of my future life thrown away doing something I don't want to be doing.

I see what you mean. Work can be fun, sure. But that's if you're like everybody else, and follow the same ethos as everybody else. What if you don't...what if you're....deviant.

If you can't find anyone you really get along with, I hate to say it but you have a problem, because you're surrounded by about 20 here at least. It's you that has to make the effort. If you don't, don't whine about it.

Ok, so I can get on with some people. Still, that doesn't help. They are all off living their lives, and who can blame them, they are doing what they believe to be right, and fitting in with society in their ways. It's good for them.

Really think about what you'd do in your wildest dreams and GO FOR IT.

I'm an idealist. My wildest dreams will never come true, and they probably shouldn't.

Angry is good. You should be f*cking p*ssed off that you currently have a life that you hate. And because you are so p*ssed off you should do everything you can think of to change it. And everything anyone else thinks of for that matter, if you are currently lacking inspiration. (...) you need money to stay alive and to be able to do those things you enjoy. And there are good jobs out there,

I like the way you think, you'll go far. Thank you very much for your input, I'll be thinking about it, and in fact everything said here.

I'm not sure where you got the whole 'all jobs are sh*t' idea from.

On this small point, as I explained above, jobs are work and work is never fun.

Quote: Winston Zeddemore, Sept 2009
Oh and how can belittle people who enjoy their work?

I've not belittled anything. If anything, I've pointed out that there are more people who think your way than mine.

I think this guy's already disappeared from VR again

You said that only a few days after I made my first post Have patience, I used to visit forums every single day when I was 15, but I've relaxed a bit nowadays.

Anyway...you're all quite right, thank you for your time and more importantly your thoughts

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 2:57 pm

I Cunt Spell -

Quote: Obinice, Sept 2009
What if you don't...what if you're....deviant.

What does that even mean?

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 3:41 pm

learrggh -

think he's trying to be enigmatic or smt. <_<

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 3:43 pm

Delirium Tremens -

What if you don't...what if you're....deviant.

It means he gets results, you stupid chief!

To answer the thread title, if you hateyourlife then change it.

Nothing's ever been gained by a whinge. And if you don't want to work, then don't. Don't contribute to society. Don't get the money. Just don't. If it makes you happy, then be happy. If it doesn't, again, do something about it.

And get a haircut and have a shave.

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 4:03 pm

I Cunt Spell -

Quote: Johnny Thunders, Sept 2009
if you don't want to work, then don't.

And maybe you should be more grateful you have the choice.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 4:21 pm

Animal -

YOU have to make the effort. That is the solution. If you stare at the walls saying how much you hate life then you aren't doing anything constructive. If you hate it, change it. Find out what your good qualities are, and use them. (...) You get one life and what's the point in it if you don't do what YOU want to do?

Quite true, quite true. Sometimes I get up in the morning and think about how to change things. But...I'm at a loss for how. As for good qualities, well I can be nice sometimes, and I learn by doing. Not exactly qualities, but there you go. Not really much to work with...lol. However, you make an excellent point, and I'm sure you will go far in life!

Actually, they are qualities.

You can say "Ohhh, what's the point in work? It makes me miserable" but it doesn't have to. There are jobs which you can enjoy, but you're the one who has to decide what you want to do with your life. Nobody else can do it for you. If you don't like offices, cross it off your list.

The definition of work (at least in my eyes) is doing something that you don't enjoy doing. If it's something you do enjoy doing, it's not work it's play. It may be effort, but it's still fun, it's still "play". I can't imagine any job that will pay me to "play", and I can't imagine myself enjoying anything that could be called "work". Sure, I'd enjoy the money and what I can buy with it, but I'd still be spending 27% of my week doing something I don't enjoy. That's somewhere in the reigon of 11 years of my future life thrown away doing something I don't want to be doing.

Suck it up. Not all work is bad. If you find a job you enjoy, work can be a lot of fun. As an idea, I enjoy fixing things, computer specifically so got a job in IT support - up until the last year or so, I loved doing what I did. The only downside was a combination of my employers and certain workmates. However, since the job was only a means to an end it has now landed me a job in a much better company who I know I will enjoy working for. But, I'm not stopping there, I have plans in place that will put me into a situation where again, I will get another job elsewhere doing something else I enjoy. Again, its work, but not all work is bad, the idea that it is is patently incorrect.

I see what you mean. Work can be fun, sure. But that's if you're like everybody else, and follow the same ethos as everybody else. What if you don't...what if you're....deviant.
Is the wrong answer. Not everyone enjoys the same thing, I know for a fact I wouldn't enjoy what Claire does for a living. I also know she probably wouldn't enjoy what I do. As for following the same ethos, you don't have to. Plenty of employers hire based on the fact that they understand that everyone is different and has different drives. At no point does that make myself or Claire deviant, it makes us individuals. Granted, I dislike the the 9 - 5 grind, which is why I have made a move to get back into shift work, till i can find something that suits my way of living, such as self employment or working from home.. Eitherway you need to be able to compromise initially to get what you want in the long run.

If you can't find anyone you really get along with, I hate to say it but you have a problem, because you're surrounded by about 20 here at least. It's you that has to make the effort. If you don't, don't whine about it.

Ok, so I can get on with some people. Still, that doesn't help. They are all off living their lives, and who can blame them, they are doing what they believe to be right, and fitting in with society in their ways. It's good for them.
Shut your mouth, fool. Living their lives or not you are a part of that life too, whether you like it or not. Sure they may not always be about (George being in Lancaster, for example) but others are.

Really think about what you'd do in your wildest dreams and GO FOR IT.

I'm an idealist. My wildest dreams will never come true, and they probably shouldn't.
BS. You don't know that either way.

Is the wrong answer. Some work can be, it just depends on what you consider to be fun - see my point about my job, my work in IT. Its something I enjoy and find interesting and dare I say, often fun, because its where my interests lie. We're a vast and complex society, their is pretty much a career in every area imaginable, you just need to look for it or to create it if it doesn't exist. You'd be surprised just how easy it is to do.

Cycling Antics

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 4:32 pm

learrggh -

think you're wasting your time chaps.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 4:41 pm

Carpet Remnant -

I'm sorry Dave but your insistence that 'work=bad' is just stupid, there is no other way to describe it.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 4:47 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

You know whats weird? I actually encountered a giant head shooting tree monster the other week... Nice chap, bit odd, mind... Might invite him over at some point.

You are correct however, I am very trying.

From my brief time living with you and the many years knowing you, your problem (i really did try and think of a better word) is that you've too many ideas and ambitions going around your head, and it seems to effect you when they don't materialise for whatever reason. Even in the 7 months we lived in that house, there was an abnormal number of ideas floating between the two of us in terms of hobbies, start ups, progressions etc, and it bummed us both out when they all piled up and nothing got done.

You put more effort into projects and aspirations than almost anyone else I know, but the sheer volume of things you take on with good faith seems to bog you down at times, and you're a chap who hates not being able materialise his plans (rightly so). Of course, lately this has started to turn around, and you've taken a step forward in your aims.

This isn't a criticism or attack on your character by the way, and I don't think you'll take it as one, but needed to make that clear. Anyways, I'm guilty of the exact same thing.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 5:13 pm

Animal -

No, you are completely correct. I've been aware of it for all too long.

Thanks for reminding me though.

Its easy to often forget. I can only fit so much in at anyone time and only do so much with myself...

It also explains a lot of my relationships with people too.

And Dan, you are. Yes.

Cycling Antics

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 6:50 pm

Roxannie -

I can only fit so much in at anyone time and only do so much with myself...

*snort*

Obinice

| 126 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 6:56 pm

Existential crisis mode.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/deviant

Update: I didn't see that there was a third page to the thread when replying, I'll come back to update this post

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 7:05 pm

I Cunt Spell -

Oh, a dictionary definition, how insightful...

Bob Flapper

| 5,002 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 7:18 pm

Bob Flapper - Me?!

Me?!

Deviant eh?

Fight the power man, you big ol' individual, you.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 7:59 pm

I think this guy's already disappeared from VR again

You said that only a few days after I made my first post Have patience, I used to visit forums every single day when I was 15, but I've relaxed a bit nowadays.

All the other stuff I can't be bothered to argue again because only you can change your life. I apologise for the hasty calls that you'd deserted us, I now understand that you were looking after kittens. Perhaps that's your purpose?

Obinice

| 126 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 8:00 pm

Existential crisis mode.

Is the wrong answer. Some work can be, it just depends on what you consider to be fun - see my point about my job, my work in IT. Its something I enjoy and find interesting and dare I say, often fun, because its where my interests lie. We're a vast and complex society, their is pretty much a career in every area imaginable, you just need to look for it or to create it if it doesn't exist. You'd be surprised just how easy it is to do.

I don't think I'm explaining properly, I think that's where this problem lies.

When I had a job, for about a year, I hated it. It wasn't just because I didn't enjoy what I was doing. The job itself wasn't exactly the problem.

The problem was well...a few things. Firstly, they sat me in a room with 6 other people I had nothing in common with. Even if I had had something in common with them, I still don't like working around other people, unless they are long time close friends (of which I have very few, like most people). If I want to do some work, I go to my room where I can be on my own. It makes me uncomfortable to do stuff like that around other people.

I'm uncomfortable around a great many people. Checkout people, strangers on the phone, bus drivers, any situation where I have to interact with people outside my normal circle of family and friends really. Some interactions upset me more than others, possibly because some of them hold more responsibility than others (e.g if I muck up my interaction with the bus driver, he'll kick me off the bus and I won't get to where I'm going on time, etc). I'll mention responsibility in a moment.

The telephone. I had a telephone at my desk. For the most part, I didn't have to use it. Occasionally however, I would have to pick the phone up for someone else, or make a call myself. I hated this. I lost sleep over it. Whenever I'm on the phone, unless I'm completely comfortable around whoever's in the room with me (this does not include my parents even) I HAVE to leave the room and be on my own while I'm on the phone.

So imagine me being chained to a desk whilst on the phone, not only having to handle whatever is going on through the phone line to someone else, but also having to take ontop of that, the fact that I'm surrounded by other people who can all hear exactly what I'm saying, and see exactly what I'm doing. NIGHTMARE.

Also, there was the responsibility. I don't mind having responsibility in some areas. Basically, it's like being needed. Someone needs you, you're responsible for something (if you see what I mean?). If a friend asks me to do something, or look after something, or whatever, that's okay. The reason being, that if I mess up, while it may be bad to some degree, it's not as bad as messing up something you have responsibility in in work.

If you mess up in work, they fire you. You loose your income, you could end up homeless. Every day you go into work knowing that you could do something, or a series of things over time, that could cost you your life. That's the extreme, but it's still perfectly possible. In the very least, it could easilly cost you your job, which can cause all sorts of problems in the short term, and very possibly the long term too.

So even if I were doing something I might otherwise enjoy doing (fixing computers and getting paid for it, that sounds sweet to me), the other factors make it wildly not worth it. I spent a year stressed, loosing sleep, and having a generally crappy time in work, and then worrying about work while I was at home, for the reasons I've listed above. Not all the time sure, I went out once a week with two or three of my friends to relieve my stress. It worked. Somehow, the moment I stepped into that place I was happy again, But then the next day...well you can guess.

The only way I can see myself being happy in work, is if I get my own room to myself, and no matter how many times I fail, I won't get sacked. That's obviously never going to happen lol

So I know of course I'll have to get a job, I'm looking for one now though I doubt I'll find one any time soon. But perhaps now you can see why I'm sure that no matter what job it is, I won't enjoy it, I'll loose sleep, I'll be stressed, I won't be happy at all.

People have told me things like "you'll get used to it", I can almost hear you typing those words now, lol. It's said most especially when it comes to the telephone thing. But I was there for a year, and I never got used to it, which is a shame I guess, life would have been easier if I had.

Quote: Kid A, Sept 2009
I'm sorry Dave but your insistence that 'work=bad' is just stupid, there is no other way to describe it.

If everyone believed that murder was good, and in fact required to live life (as everyone sees work, for the most part), and I was the only person who thought murder was bad, and didn't enjoy doing it, would that make me wrong?

The odds are highly against me that I am right. If you go off the overwhelming consensus of the world, then murder is a good, required thing. It's all opinion, of course.

So you think work is a nice thing, I think it isn't a nice thing because of the kind of person I am, and the kinds of experiences I've had. These are our opinions, neither of them are stupid opinions, they are simply different opinions, each with their own merit.

Oh, a dictionary definition, how insightful...

Please don't take that tone with me, I've done nothing to provoke it You asked me what it meant even though you knew it would be far easier to look up a definition for yourself. I indulged you, looked up an accurate definition of the word and linked you to it.

I'm not sure how much more I could have done to describe what the word means that would be useful, other than to give that simple and concise definition.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I hope now that you can understand a little more why I strongly dislike the whole working thing, and from that you can gleam part of the reason at least, as to why I'm not too happy with life.

P.S I'm bad at taking what I mean and putting it into words, so my apologies if it's hard for me to get the right point across sometimes

Animal

| 32,547 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 8:26 pm

Animal -

When I had a job, for about a year, I hated it. It wasn't just because I didn't enjoy what I was doing. The job itself wasn't exactly the problem.

The problem was well...a few things. Firstly, they sat me in a room with 6 other people I had nothing in common with. Even if I had had something in common with them, I still don't like working around other people, unless they are long time close friends (of which I have very few, like most people). If I want to do some work, I go to my room where I can be on my own. It makes me uncomfortable to do stuff like that around other people.

I'm uncomfortable around a great many people. Checkout people, strangers on the phone, bus drivers, any situation where I have to interact with people outside my normal circle of family and friends really. Some interactions upset me more than others, possibly because some of them hold more responsibility than others (e.g if I muck up my interaction with the bus driver, he'll kick me off the bus and I won't get to where I'm going on time, etc). I'll mention responsibility in a moment.

The telephone. I had a telephone at my desk. For the most part, I didn't have to use it. Occasionally however, I would have to pick the phone up for someone else, or make a call myself. I hated this. I lost sleep over it. Whenever I'm on the phone, unless I'm completely comfortable around whoever's in the room with me (this does not include my parents even) I HAVE to leave the room and be on my own while I'm on the phone.

So imagine me being chained to a desk whilst on the phone, not only having to handle whatever is going on through the phone line to someone else, but also having to take ontop of that, the fact that I'm surrounded by other people who can all hear exactly what I'm saying, and see exactly what I'm doing. NIGHTMARE.

Also, there was the responsibility. I don't mind having responsibility in some areas. Basically, it's like being needed. Someone needs you, you're responsible for something (if you see what I mean?). If a friend asks me to do something, or look after something, or whatever, that's okay. The reason being, that if I mess up, while it may be bad to some degree, it's not as bad as messing up something you have responsibility in in work.

If you mess up in work, they fire you. You loose your income, you could end up homeless. Every day you go into work knowing that you could do something, or a series of things over time, that could cost you your life. That's the extreme, but it's still perfectly possible. In the very least, it could easilly cost you your job, which can cause all sorts of problems in the short term, and very possibly the long term too.

So even if I were doing something I might otherwise enjoy doing (fixing computers and getting paid for it, that sounds sweet to me), the other factors make it wildly not worth it. I spent a year stressed, loosing sleep, and having a generally crappy time in work, and then worrying about work while I was at home, for the reasons I've listed above. Not all the time sure, I went out once a week with two or three of my friends to relieve my stress. It worked. Somehow, the moment I stepped into that place I was happy again, But then the next day...well you can guess.

The only way I can see myself being happy in work, is if I get my own room to myself, and no matter how many times I fail, I won't get sacked. That's obviously never going to happen lol

So I know of course I'll have to get a job, I'm looking for one now though I doubt I'll find one any time soon. But perhaps now you can see why I'm sure that no matter what job it is, I won't enjoy it, I'll loose sleep, I'll be stressed, I won't be happy at all.

People have told me things like "you'll get used to it", I can almost hear you typing those words now, lol. It's said most especially when it comes to the telephone thing. But I was there for a year, and I never got used to it, which is a shame I guess, life would have been easier if I had.

OK. Big lesson here kids.

When life hands you lemons, grudgingly make lemonade for a few hours, then when you get bored, give the lemons back and steal some c*nts oranges.

You say you are uncomfortable around a great many people? Guess what, you're not alone. I hate dealing with people, I hate calling companies to get things done, I hate having to interact on busses, in shops, in work, sadly its something that needs to be done. What you have to realise is that every single other person in the world has the same problem.

Basically, you say if you muck up your interaction with the bus driver, he'll kick you off the bus? Sorry, no. The only reason you can get kicked off the bus by the bus driver is if you are being a prick with the guy, if you hand him the wrong money, then correct it when he points out the mistake no harm has been done and no one thinks any less of you for it.

As for f*cking up in work and losing a job? Two things. 1. As an employee you have legal rights and cannot simply just 'be fired' each company has to have a disciplinary procedure in place if they don't or if they do, but don't follow it, then they are breaking the law and leaving themselves wide open to a tribunal. 2. A job is a job, while its important, it really isn't the be all and end all of life. If you are living to work then their is something very wrong with your approach.

What I'm trying to say is, no employer can just fire you for f*cking up - unless we are talking gross misconduct, which I very much doubt you would do. Secondly, if you do get fired at any point, speaking as someone who has been, who has just up and walked out of jobs I've hated before with no plans beyond that. Its not the end of the world. Ultimately their are other jobs out there and always will be. Your past employers cannot legally put anything bad on a reference, they can neglect to include information, which does imply certain things. But without a point of reference as to why they have not included that information their is only a little your future employers can draw from it. Since they wont know the specifics they can't really hold it against you.

You mention a dislike of using phones. Preaching to the choir right here. Ask any of my friends how often I actually phone them. This is people I care about, that I'm close to and that I know better than I know myself. I text as a rule because I find it easier. However, like you I've had jobs and will continue to have jobs that involve phone interactions, with other people around me.

As an idea. Before I left my last job, I shared an office with four other guys, one of them was my boss, who I got on with but that was it. Then their was Will, who I had a laugh with and got on with, but again, thats it. Then their was the office mong... He would listen to everyones phone calls and butt in and interrupt when he thought you were wrong about things, invariably with completely incorrect and often unrelated information. Now, I found his incorrectness hysterical, however I found his intrusions downright intimidating! I was constantly checking and rechecking every single thing I was going to say to whoever I was on the phone to, to ensure that he had no way to be able to try to 'help' or to correct me. Add to this the fact you could cut the atmosphere in the office with a knife most days and as you can see, I can completely relate to your issue. Yeah, I panicked about things and lost sleep over it too. I even took the odd sick day to avoid having to cope with him. Thing is, I took control of the situation and got my a*se out at the first chance I got, I could be going form a sh*t situation to a worse one, I could be going to a better one. I'll cross that bridge and deal with the ramifications of my choice in a fortnight when I start there. If I have more lemons handed to me, I'll make lemonade as long as I can be bothered then steal someone else's oranges, again.

As for working with others, not every job involves that. My long term aim involves going either self employed or getting into a position where I have a nice cushy office to myself and can work by my rules, provided that I do my job to the best of my abilities, I can't see anything going wrong. Despite the fact that yeah, I worry I'm going to f*ck everything up whenever I go in.

Dave, I'm not going to say you get used to it, because to be honest, I never have. BUt the deal is you cope till you get p*ssed off enough to fix things, then you do whatever it takes to move onto something more in fitting with what you want to do and what works for you.

Trust me, I've been where you are now, hell I still am in a lot of ways. Many people on here are too.

Cycling Antics

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 8:30 pm

Outside-left

"If everyone believed that murder was good, and in fact required to live life (as everyone sees work, for the most part), and I was the only person who thought murder was bad, and didn't enjoy doing it, would that make me wrong?"

Taking one of the most extreme examples imaginable and using to counter a point just isn't viable.

It appears that you're making an excuse for every response people can give you, and attempting to find any reason you can to avoid taking advice or making a change. I don't say that as an insult or as an offence, merely an observation of posts on a messageboard.

It'll take a change of habit and thought process before you can begin to change your life (some would say a change of life is a by-product of a change in thinking). Maybe see someone about some CBT? And not the type that enables you to ride a 125 for 2 years.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 8:34 pm

I'm so f*cking confused.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 8:36 pm

Outside-left

I'm so f*cking confused.

The lightswitch again?

Claire

| 15,814 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 8:57 pm

Quote: Howard Hughes, Sept 2009
I'm so f*cking confused.

The lightswitch again?

P*ss off

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

13th Sept 2009 at 9:16 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Kid A, Sept 2009

If everyone believed that murder was good, and in fact required to live life (as everyone sees work, for the most part), and I was the only person who thought murder was bad, and didn't enjoy doing it, would that make me wrong?

The odds are highly against me that I am right. If you go off the overwhelming consensus of the world, then murder is a good, required thing. It's all opinion, of course.

So you think work is a nice thing, I think it isn't a nice thing because of the kind of person I am, and the kinds of experiences I've had. These are our opinions, neither of them are stupid opinions, they are simply different opinions, each with their own merit.

What? That's a completely absurd idea and only serves to prove my point. If there was some world where murder was accepted and everybody accepted it except you then you would still be wrong and your idea of murder being bad would still be stupid because presumably in this insane alternate reality society had come to the conclusion that allowing murder was the only way for anything to work. Just like in this world everyone sees work (well, not work, earning a living) as a necessary part of life and you saying it isn't is stupid.
I don't think work is a nice thing, I think it's a necessary thing. I've only ever had one job and it was crap but I went in every day and did my best to enjoy it and on most days I actually managed. But if I'd been like you and gone in every day expecting to hate it and doing nothing to change that then, yeah, I would have hated that.
I also hate talking on the phone, to anyone, even people I know, even my closest friends, I avoid it at all costs to be honest because it makes me feel uncomfortable. So I've taken steps in my life to make that easier.

In the end if you don't want to be helped, and it seems that you don't, then there's nothing anyone can say to change your mind and you can just carry on like you are. But you should know that a lot of the time I'm actually jealous of you, while I've known you you've had girlfriends, people who really actually like you, I've been single the entire time I've known you.....so you might feel like your life is awful but lots of times I've been burningly jealous of your life.

(I don't think 'burningly' is a word)

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: