Things that really grind your gears.

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 5:55 pm

Carpet Remnant -

The fact that somebody else has probably beaten me to this.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 6:00 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Claire

| 15,814 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 6:59 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

GEORGE OMG I WAS GOING TO USE THE SAME THREAD TITLE IF I GOT TO MAKE THIS THREAD!

Eee well done. I'm aware this isn't ranty. Erm...Dadrant? OK!

He went missing and they found him in the Lake District. LAKE DISTRICT. WTF?
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 7:39 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Lilac_Leopard
GEORGE OMG I WAS GOING TO USE THE SAME THREAD TITLE IF I GOT TO MAKE THIS THREAD!

EVERYBODY HAPPY!

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 7:53 pm

Mancomb Seepgood - Grog me.

Grog me.

Quote: Enigmatic_Shrew

EVERYBODY HAPPY!

Except the people posting in this thread.
If I could get an orange that was as low-maintenance as an apple, I'd be a happy man

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 8:05 pm

Πανδώρα -

i spent fourty five minutes changing my bed.

stripping the duvet, all SIX pillows. SIX! pulling the bottom sheet off.
i'd had enough just going all that, but noooooo... i had to go on an incredible quest to find a clean king sized sheet.
upon finding one, it had random white marks on it. which... i tasted. it was washing powder.
it was also all over the duvet cover when i'd put it on, so i had to wipe it all off there as well as all the pillowcases too.

having done all this and made the bed i went fro a well deserved p*ss.
came back and what do it see?

the f*cking dog's laid in it. i HATE this dog.
*burp*

klinsmann18

| 10,181 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 9:51 pm

klinsmann18 - Matt.

Matt.

That I will have to pay a £14 customs charge on a CD I ordered from The USA. Why the f*ck? I've had dozens of CD's from the USA, and never had to pay a customs charge before. Can anyone explain a reason why this might have occured?
When you get here, the Welcome To This Town sign, it scares little kids with it's skulls and it's gore
When you leave here, the Get The Hell Out sign is well kept and pretty with floral decor

Me and Jez - King and Queen lobster spam team!!

Claire

| 15,814 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 10:16 pm

OH MY GOD THE EPISODE THE TITLE REFERENCES IS ON BBC3 RIGHT NOOOWWW.

/not rant

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 10:16 pm

Πανδώρα -

N-Dubz

go na na nye yerself y'little c*nt ¬_¬
*burp*

Dr. Harold Shipman

| 10,547 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 10:31 pm

Dr. Harold Shipman - Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

WHAT'S WITH ALL THE CAPITALS ALL OF A SUDDEN?

Obelisk the Tormentor

| 12,281 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 10:33 pm

Obelisk the Tormentor - TOOOOORMENT!!

TOOOOORMENT!!

Quote: klinsmann18
That I will have to pay a £14 customs charge on a CD I ordered from The USA. Why the f*ck? I've had dozens of CD's from the USA, and never had to pay a customs charge before. Can anyone explain a reason why this might have occured?

i got something like this recently too. the way i understand it is most of the time small packages just get passed straight through, unless theres an over-zealous customs official who will just check it for the hell of it, thereby adding a ridiculously disproportionate charge to it

Claire

| 15,814 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 10:36 pm

Quote: Haryuu_No_Hanekata

WHY THE HELL NOTTT?

Actually, I was just excited.

Dr. Harold Shipman

| 10,547 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 10:56 pm

Dr. Harold Shipman - Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

WHY THE HELL NOTTT?

Because shouting stops pandas mating. You want that on your conscience, eh?

Debs|OWA

| 6,513 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 11:21 pm

Debs|OWA - Scree

Scree

My little sister is sleep-talking again..........oh and my ex's gf is bebo stalking me ¬_¬
As if she wasn't bad enough when we were going out....

I mean what kind of girl randomly texts her ex at 2am saying 'please don't kiss her'......She didn't even know i was bloody staying there D:

But now shes appearing on my profile view map as is her 'other half' and some other douche from her friendslist.......

Claire

| 15,814 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 11:36 pm

WHY THE HELL NOTTT?

Because shouting stops pandas mating. You want that on your conscience, eh?

It's not on my conscience and I will tell you for why. For why is that I offset that issue by breaking into the panda enclosure of various zoos and playing Barry White music. It works, TRUST ME.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 11:43 pm

Dissimulation -

And I offset that by clubbing them with bricks.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

18th Apr 2009 at 11:53 pm

SO THE RESULT OF THIS IS I CAN DAMN WELL SHOUT IF I WANT, RIGHT?

Because Jamie will be responsible for the extinction, not me

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

19th Apr 2009 at 1:07 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

I'm oh so very sick
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

19th Apr 2009 at 3:03 pm

John Cage Bubblegum -

Finding out that Moleman's Digitiser Archive is no more.
Peter Kenyon has a medal

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

19th Apr 2009 at 5:54 pm

I Cunt Spell -

I hate Sundays.

*sulks*

Animal

| 32,547 posts

19th Apr 2009 at 7:07 pm

Animal -

I just realised its Sunday.. I feel like I am owed a weekend!
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Jimmy

| 4,271 posts

19th Apr 2009 at 7:09 pm

Jimmy -

You know times are bad when your little sister's embarrassed to have you in front of her friends. I'm still cool! I can pull better shapes then any of these whipper-snappers.
I like Jesus but he loves me so it's awkward.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

19th Apr 2009 at 7:48 pm

Animal -

Urgh.

I can hear Mums neighbours having sex... Lovely..

Its the same every Sunday.. Nice to know they have a routine..

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

19th Apr 2009 at 10:30 pm

Chris Kamara -

The TV advert that advertises the sh*ttest mobile phone ringtones I've ever heard, for about £4.50 + charges. WHO THE HELL DOES THAT??

Animal

| 32,547 posts

19th Apr 2009 at 10:39 pm

Animal -

Do you know what really grinds my gears?

train stations not advertising Rail Replacement busses in prominent locations. I mean, what's with that? I wasted thirty minutes of my life waiting for the next train due to the first not showing.. You'd think they would hoist massive placards with it written on in gold filigree or something?

Anyway, that is what really grind my gears. Back to you VR.

Cycling Antics

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

19th Apr 2009 at 10:58 pm

Quote: girlpants

train stations not advertising Rail Replacement busses in prominent locations. I mean, what's with that? I wasted thirty minutes of my life waiting for the next train due to the first not showing.. You'd think they would hoist massive placards with it written on in gold filigree or something?

Anyway, that is what really grind my gears. Back to you VR.

Also, when you can't find the droids you're looking for.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 6:29 am

I Cunt Spell -

Too early.

I feel like a cabbage with kidney damage.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 9:16 am

Animal -

Hate to say it, but that's proof if it were needed that for the most part PC World consumer are a bunch of utter f*cking cowboys.

Any company that would employ my brother as a PC Service Engineer really needs a kick in the face. (My brother stayed at Mums when the Cable engineer came out to sort out her broadband a few years ago and within minutes of her PC being put online managed to get it riddled with Viruses, due to sitting on dodgy sites for warez and cracks..)

Cycling Antics

klinsmann18

| 10,181 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 10:24 am

klinsmann18 - Matt.

Matt.

I have now found out that the CD with the customs charge I earlier mentioned (I had a few due in from the US so wasn't sure which it was) is the one that has already cost £50

I already have an mp3 of the whole CD. Nearly Seventy quid for a hard copy is bordering on daft.

Also, lazy ebayers that take ages to post things.
When you get here, the Welcome To This Town sign, it scares little kids with it's skulls and it's gore
When you leave here, the Get The Hell Out sign is well kept and pretty with floral decor

Claire

| 15,814 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 10:43 am

I would NEVER buy a computer from PC World again. When mine broke, they completely sold me up the river with charges, I think they probably overcharged...it was £120 just to look at it, and ended up costing nearly £400 in total to replace the ac/dc pin because the f*ckers connect them to the motherboard. I could have bought a new laptop for that, but they neglected to tell me about how much it would charge until the work had been done. So I complained and they said I could have some vouchers. I never received them

Animal

| 32,547 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 10:54 am

Animal -

and ended up costing nearly £400 in total to replace the ac/dc pin because the f*ckers connect them to the motherboard. I could have bought a new laptop for that.

That is pretty common, the lovely Mac you have at home is the same, if I recall the latest MacBook internals correctly. Some manufacturers do in some cases use a separate DC Board, it just depends on the component layout and available room inside the machine. (Granted, the odds of damaging the DC in on a MacBook are pretty slim, thanks to MagSafe connectors, but still - they can fail.)

Out of order of them to replace it without quoting you first though, I'd have told them to stick the charges since they never bothered quoting me..

Cycling Antics

Claire

| 15,814 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 11:02 am

I wouldn't have got my laptop back, though. They said to me that they don't always attach them to the motherboard, which is why I said it there, because it's sod's law that it happened to me The pin bent over a long period of time and would only charge if I contorted the wire into random positions. I think that I'm trying to say is that PC World's products are sh*t, as are their service. I would strongly advise anyone against buying from them, Currys or Dixons (same product, innit) or at least buying a non-PC World brand product (ie. not Advent).

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 12:02 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Green Day. American Idiot was great but it was also a few years ago now. They tried something really new and interesting with Foxboro Hot Tubs and I hoped it would bleed into their new stuff a bit but based on their first single it's just American Idiot 1.5.

klinsmann18

| 10,181 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 12:12 pm

klinsmann18 - Matt.

Matt.

I wouldn't have got my laptop back, though. They said to me that they don't always attach them to the motherboard, which is why I said it there, because it's sod's law that it happened to me The pin bent over a long period of time and would only charge if I contorted the wire into random positions. I think that I'm trying to say is that PC World's products are sh*t, as are their service. I would strongly advise anyone against buying from them, Currys or Dixons (same product, innit) or at least buying a non-PC World brand product (ie. not Advent).

I have an Advent laptop, and guess what? That's right, the charger wire is torn to shreds at the laptop end, and to make it charge, the laptop MUST be at least three feet above the rest of the wire, as it will only charge if the wire is left to dangle out of the edge of the laptop all the way to the floor. It is also resting slightly on my thigh on the way to the floor, and If I remove this thigh, it stops charging. And I'll leave you lot to guess what happens if I move the chair that the wire takes a short-cut over.....

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 12:15 pm

Πανδώρα -

just found out that dan (faye's ex) was set upon by a group of youths that he challenged for running over his car & pulling off the wing mirror

bruised his back, broke his jaw and his cheek bone.
had to have surgery to reset his jaw & insert a plate.

can't f*cking believe it, group of 14-15 year old lads
whacked him with a bar or something, got him on the ground & just laid in
w*nkers.

you just wouldn't do it.
*burp*

Vel

| 23,203 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 1:13 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Quote: klinsmann18

I have an Advent laptop, and guess what? That's right, the charger wire is torn to shreds at the laptop end, and to make it charge, the laptop MUST be at least three feet above the rest of the wire, as it will only charge if the wire is left to dangle out of the edge of the laptop all the way to the floor. It is also resting slightly on my thigh on the way to the floor, and If I remove this thigh, it stops charging. And I'll leave you lot to guess what happens if I move the chair that the wire takes a short-cut over.....

Laptops are designed to be disposable products these days. It's crap, but they really don't last much longer than 3 years if you're going by your average one and that's looked after really well, kept in its case everytime it's not being used...etc. The one time I didn't use my case to travel it, mine's casing got scratched to f*ck by the plug which had manoevred itself out of the pocket I'd packed it in...so it looks like its been mauled by a tiger.

My power pack went a few months ago due to a loose wire on the pack to computer end. Without it, the battery life is under 5 minutes, so it was pretty much a dead computer. Luckily I found a replacement that was relatively cheap and compatible.

Still, I hate laptops. When I have the money and a stable place to live (i.e. after uni and with a proper job, etc) I am totally investing in a desk top.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Animal

| 32,547 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 1:22 pm

Animal -

Personally, I'd say it depends entirely on the laptop.

A cheap machine will be a cheap machine, desktop, laptop or otherwise..

But on the higher end of things, when high quality carbon or metal casing is used and the hardware is specced up for performance and the likes you can't really go wrong, its the sole reason I buy the machines I do. I want them to last for what I consider to be a reasonable timeframe. And also to be as capable in three years time as they were when I first bought them.

Cycling Antics

History For Sale

| 6,560 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 1:56 pm

Now our history is for sale....

I have £2 till the 25th.

MY CARD MAKING KIT GRAN BOUGHT ME FOR EASTER HAS STILL NOT ARRIVED AND I NEED TO MAKE SOME CARDS TO EARN SOME GODDAMN MONEY AAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.
I only want you to see
My favourite part of me
And not my ugly side
Not my ugly side

[http://furcadia.com/banners/images/DownloadB2.gif]

Claire

| 15,814 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 2:07 pm

Quote: Lemony_Zester

Laptops are designed to be disposable products these days. It's crap, but they really don't last much longer than 3 years if you're going by your average one and that's looked after really well, kept in its case everytime it's not being used...etc.

The one I mentioned is now in the posession of my sister, and touch wood is still going relatively strong after 5 years. Yes, I've had problems with it and I will never buy from PC World or it's cohorts again, but I've not looked after it particularly well. So long as you don't throw it around the place or stand on it a laptop can and should last a very long time. It's definitely better than my Mum's desktop which was bought around the same time and dies whenever you try and look at two webpages at the same time.

Quote:
My power pack went a few months ago due to a loose wire on the pack to computer end. Without it, the battery life is under 5 minutes, so it was pretty much a dead computer. Luckily I found a replacement that was relatively cheap and compatible.

People tend not to realise that, like all batteries, an average laptop battery can only be charged around 500 times and probably less before it goes kaput. It annoys me, because most of the time there's no reason why people can't just plug the laptop into the mains instead, but they just sit there sapping the battery and then wonder why it goes dead so quickly. They are replaceable, but people just tend to go for something new and shiny instead. It's a shame.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 2:09 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Green Day. American Idiot was great but it was also a few years ago now. They tried something really new and interesting with Foxboro Hot Tubs and I hoped it would bleed into their new stuff a bit but based on their first single it's just American Idiot 1.5.

The new single's just a lazy, complacent bit of songwriting.

Eminem's new stuff, though. Taking me right back to my awkward wigga teen years. Oh yeaaaah.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 2:12 pm

Ohhhh Eminem. I love him. I have no idea why whatsoever. This is not a rant, I know. I don't care, I'm breaking down the barriers

History For Sale

| 6,560 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 2:18 pm

Now our history is for sale....

SCREAM!!!!!!!!!!

NO MONEY!

WANT THIS http://www.createandcraft.tv/Buzzcraft_Male_Theme_Extravaganza_144578.aspx?search=MALE

COULD CLEAR UP ON FATHERS DAY WAAAAAAAAAAAAH

(Bet you never though you'd see the day I got upset over crafting...)
I only want you to see
My favourite part of me
And not my ugly side
Not my ugly side

[http://furcadia.com/banners/images/DownloadB2.gif]

Animal

| 32,547 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 3:58 pm

Animal -

Waiting two weeks to see a doctor, about a bum leg only to have said bum leg feeling almost perfect by the time you have the appointment.

And you know what else VR? Mentioning to said Doctor about depression and wanting to talk to someone about how to deal with it/treat it, only to be told to come back a week later for a double appointment.

Then when booking afore mentioned appointment to be told that nothing is available for at least a fortnight.

And that, people is what really grinds my gears.

Over to you VR.

Cycling Antics

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 4:23 pm

learrggh -

Personally, I'd say it depends entirely on the laptop.

A cheap machine will be a cheap machine, desktop, laptop or otherwise..

But on the higher end of things, when high quality carbon or metal casing is used and the hardware is specced up for performance and the likes you can't really go wrong, its the sole reason I buy the machines I do. I want them to last for what I consider to be a reasonable timeframe. And also to be as capable in three years time as they were when I first bought them.

I like IBM ones, they seem to build them to last. I used to have one of their laptops from around 1998 that lasted until 2007. It was a brick, but it was marvellous. By the end, it had been dropped, sat on, had things spilt on it and bits fell off regularly but it still worked. I miss it.

I have a T60 now which seems to be holding up pretty well.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 4:48 pm

Carpet Remnant -

I don't care if I sound petty, I hope he really really hurts her, b*tch.

Why does everyone seem to be finding happiness recently except for me.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 4:52 pm

Animal -

Quote: ApologeticSquirrel
I like IBM ones, they seem to build them to last. I used to have one of their laptops from around 1998 that lasted until 2007. It was a brick, but it was marvellous. By the end, it had been dropped, sat on, had things spilt on it and bits fell off regularly but it still worked. I miss it.  

I have a T60 now which seems to be holding up pretty well.

IBM/Lenovo make some really durable laptops. I have no idea why they last out everything, since generally they tend to be pretty average looking plastic built bricks which look no different to the equivalent competition.

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 4:54 pm

Animal -

I keep thinking this. (The first sentence is suitably altered for my own situation, mind.)

Cycling Antics

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 4:58 pm

Πανδώρα -

this phone is an absolute c*nt to use. Also main reason i'm here - my rabbit is a filthy little wh*re. She has actually had a litter of kittens, hidden them too damn well, i thought it would still be ok to put the buck out with her, she stops dead, shoves her a*se in the air & he's had a whale of a time. Then tge other bloke got out & did the same. F*cking stupid. These will still be feeding when she has the next lot stupid baby machine mentality
*burp*

Jimmy

| 4,271 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 4:59 pm

Jimmy -

Grr, I hate it when gigs get cancelled. Stoopid drummers and their stoopid brittle hands...
I like Jesus but he loves me so it's awkward.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

20th Apr 2009 at 5:00 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

I keep thinking this. (The first sentence is suitably altered for my own situation, mind.)

I echo these sanctimonies.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: