Ha!

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

wombat

| 8,154 posts

7th May 2009 at 10:49 am

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

Yeah, thats what they put me on, and it was the only antidepessant that worked for me whilst I took it, then i sacked it in.

I heard it does something to your sex drive, but that's just what non-doctors have told me, and I couldn't comment, as when I was on it I was on a dry patch of 7 months endless frustration..
Southern hemispherical rat boy

wombat

| 8,154 posts

7th May 2009 at 11:09 am

Technically sexy.

actually, thinking about it, its probably decrease, as mine was through the floor at that point (the frustration wasnt that frustrating)

Though as I said, I don't know if its true, as its just heresay, and I was on a cocktail of mood stabalisers and malaria pills, all of which claim to do that also (as well as give you horrible screaming nightmares... but good skin!)

Long story short, my posts here are worthless.

Sorry Dar'... how are you feeling about the whole being on medication and seeing a psychiatrist anyway?

wombat

| 8,154 posts

7th May 2009 at 11:37 am

Technically sexy.

ah, the good skin tablets were for malaria. Like I said though, they used to give me horrible nightmares where I saw gnomes living in my walls, and where two spheres would bounce repeatedly against my windows, getting faster and harder as they did (neither of which sound scary, but they used to have me waking in a sheet of sweat...) as well as having them on an empty stomach would cause me to vomit- and seeing as I rarely ate breakfast back then this would happen most mornings. Still, before I took them a blind man could have read my face like braille, whereas now all that is left is a veritable Flander's field, with the occasional indent reminding of past artilary fire.

I told everyone I took them to ward off malaria... but actually, I wasn't even in a malaria area. WORTH IT THOUGH.

if its any consolation, in my experience, you wont be talking about emotions etc too much to the psychiatrist. In fact, you may not even see the psychiatrist, but their junior who will run through a list of questions, make some notes, then come back and tell you that the psychiatrist is too busy, come back later.

A counsellor would be where the feelings thing comes in, whom you may be directed to by the psychiatrist, either that or one of these other types of therapist like a CBT or something, though to me those were oft pormised but never delivered.

You say that you don't like talking about your feelings and opening up- but from the looks of this thread I get the feeling you may be feeling the need to (though that doesn't mean it will be pleasant, I know)

If you aren't shafted to talk to somebody about how you feel, but you want to be, to try and make sense of yourself, you could go back to your doctor and ask to be referred to their counsellor. Don't do what I did, and in fact still do, which is consider that its cheating if you ask to see somone, and that it only counts if you are made to... because often, they won't. or say they will, then forget, and if you need it- why not ask?

As always though- I don't know what I'm talking about.

I just hope you are okay.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

7th May 2009 at 12:05 pm

I was on Citalopram too, the first few days you'll feel kinda weird and anxious and then both times I went a bit mental after about a month, but it wears off. Altho anxiety for me was a whole separate issue so you might not have that beyond the first couple of days which is just your body adjusting to different levels of stuff.

And CBT actually worked very well for me, don't knock it til you've tried it and gotten over the stigma.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

wombat

| 8,154 posts

7th May 2009 at 12:07 pm

Technically sexy.

I'd imagine it depends on how understanding your employers are, and how much you are expecting your mood to affect your work.

Having just written a godawful piece of coursework on the disability discrimination act, I would say that its best to only tell your employers if you HAVE to, as depression and mental illnesses are not adequately protected by the act, and can lead to some rather horrible situations where employers can discriminate against you, but not get done for it, though on the flipside, if you dont tell them you have depression or whatever, you cant claim to be discriminated against because of it.

that said, they dont always do that, and can be accommodating to your needs etc, even get you time off work if you need it, and only in worst case scenarios do people lose there jobs over it... so just work out if you actully NEED to tell work what you may be like in a few weeks, as unless it could seriously, and absolutely affect you, there isn't that much need to say anything.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

7th May 2009 at 12:56 pm

Quote: girlpants
No, I gave it a go. I just found it an exercise in futility.

Actually, how soon do side effects kick in?
I'm on 10mg's at the moment as a gradual introduction to them, had one at about 10ish this morning... Not really feeling anything as yet.

I was on 20mg so it might not be the same, but I was definitely feeling nausea that evening.  Three days tops, though. I've never told work and personally wouldnt unless its unavoidable, 'doctors appointment' is enough to cover any absence.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

7th May 2009 at 1:31 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

i don't feel like i have anything to contribute or offer in this thread, but i hope that things go well and improve for Darren.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

7th May 2009 at 2:48 pm

TinyShine -

I was on those tablets as well (although they are called 'Cipramil' in Ireland, for some reason) and they worked pretty well, not having nearly as many side effects as Prozac did, in my case (Which gave me the shakes, continuously and made me a little bit manic!).

I don't think 10mg should cause you any major side effects, I was on 20mg and I was just 15 (and weighing around 6 stone) and nothing really adverse happened. I know everyone reacts differently to medication, so it is good that you have told people on here who know you, as they can look out for any changes in your mood or personality.

You may as well give the CBT a try if you have your name down for it and are getting it through the NHS. I had a little bit of it and it wasn't effective for me but I know for many people, it helps them to figure out where they're going and take control of their life a little more. Counselling of some kind would probably help you. Sometimes just saying your thoughts aloud, and working through them can be very therapeutic.

Anyway, good luck ! Give the medication a few days to a week to kick in, and I hope that it helps you.

Sarah xx

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

7th May 2009 at 4:29 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Had a meeting with the Doctor today. I'm now on Citalopram. Anyone here been on this?
I'm also being put on the list of people who needs to see a shrink, joy!

Yes. Hated it. Didn't feel any improvement whatsoever over the few months I was on it my balls shrunk to the size of raisins. To begin with, feeling nauseous and maybe a little 'in your own world' is normal, but as Joel said it should last more than a few days.

Also, have a look into neuro-linguistic programming. There's books 'n' shiz.

learrggh

| 5,670 posts

7th May 2009 at 9:41 pm

learrggh -

I've been on 30mg for a year and a half. I can't comment on the side effects to begin with because at the time I was on a lot of other things, but with a dose as high as mine missing one or two days puts me in withdrawal, which isn't fun.

It'll take a few weeks before you notice a change in your mood.

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

16th May 2009 at 9:33 pm

TinyShine -

Quote: Squirrell_of_Doom
Had a meeting with the Doctor today. I'm now on Citalopram. Anyone here been on this?
I'm also being put on the list of people who needs to see a shrink, joy!

Yes.  Hated it.  Didn't feel any improvement whatsoever over the few months I was on it my balls shrunk to the size of raisins.  To begin with, feeling nauseous and maybe a little 'in your own world' is normal, but as Joel said it should last more than a few days.

Also, have a look into neuro-linguistic programming.  There's books 'n' shiz.

Can anyone recommend any books on neuro-linguistic programming? I'd really like to try it as I've heard it is now being used to treat M.E. as well, although I'm not sure how that would work...

Anyone had any success with it with regards to depression?

Hope you're doing a bit better now that your body is adjusting to the tablets, Darren

Sarah xx

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

16th May 2009 at 9:59 pm

Outside-left

The only books I've read concerning NLP are to do with conflict resolution and owning a conversation/interview.

I do have a few books that I downloaded that I haven't yet had a look at, but I'll attach them to an email and send them your way.

TinyShine

| 2,144 posts

16th May 2009 at 10:10 pm

TinyShine -

Thank you, that would be really useful ! I've just been reading on the net about it and it is a really interesting concept... As well as being about the only route I haven't tried to conquer depression and M.E! Looks worth a try!

Sarah xx

wombat

| 8,154 posts

16th May 2009 at 10:12 pm

Technically sexy.

The only books I've read concerning NLP are to do with conflict resolution and owning a conversation/interview.

I do have a few books that I downloaded that I haven't yet had a look at, but I'll attach them to an email and send them your way.

could you likewise to me, especially the conflict resolution ones?

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

16th May 2009 at 10:25 pm

Outside-left

Quote: TinyShine
Thank you, that would be really useful ! I've just been reading on the net about it and it is a really interesting concept... As well as being about the only route I haven't tried to conquer depression and M.E! Looks worth a try!

Sarah xx

Shall do, PM me your email address and I'll send them over tonight. I've got a good paperback, simply called 'Confidence Using NLP' which is good for what you described. It basically attempts to have you re-wire yourself during the course of reading the book to focus on the details that you see, rather than the details which you think of that *might* be there, which often slip into negative thoughts about the subject in question.

Quote: The_Educatedwombat

could you likewise to me, especially the conflict resolution ones?

The conflict resolution one I only have in paperback rather than e-book. I'd send you it but it's due a re-read soon because I'm taking my SIA training over summer. It was this one, if you have a spare £7.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

16th May 2009 at 10:28 pm

Technically sexy.

Thanks anyway Dan. I shall investigate.

Sarah, can you report back as to whether you think the stuff Dan sends you works- if so, I'll pester him for the e-books too.

I don't know who this post is directed at, as I changed my mind halfway though. Lets say I wrote it to George.

Also, what's SIA training. That bouncer thing?

All the bouncers I know swear by Aikido, FYI.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

16th May 2009 at 10:36 pm

Outside-left

Mark I can e-mail you some stuff too if you want.

And yes it is, but I'm just doing the government-required training to support a licence application.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

16th May 2009 at 10:47 pm

Technically sexy.

ooh, brilliant, PM on its way.

A license application for..?

wombat

| 8,154 posts

16th May 2009 at 10:54 pm

Technically sexy.

oh yeah. same page now.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page