Users

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 7:55 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

I think this is pretty much going to be for me and Darren...

So anyways, users are idiots.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 7:59 pm

Animal -

Yes, they are.

I shall post some examples of user idiocy from work tomorrow, since I shall no doubt experience much of it.
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:02 pm

Animal -

I give you, a small sampling of Andy's Mong files.

Some of them may need further explanation, in which case, feel free to ask. Others should be fairly obvious.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/loonypandora/sets/1529603/

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:03 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Today one of my lads had a user argue with him because she couldn't open a PDF in word and she was insisting she always could before. When we said she couldn't and never could, she hung up then rang back, again and again until someone different answered and told her to ring IT training.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:06 pm

Animal -

Oddly, i had the exact same question the other day.
:-?

Cycling Antics

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:09 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

And another from today.

Email in from user

"I've rebooted and its not working"

Email to user

"Can you please clarify what isn't working?"

Email in from user

"I've just told you, I've rebooted and it is NOT working"

Email deleted.

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:11 pm

Roxannie -

Will once had a guy he was on the phone to for ages, trying to work out why his computer couldn't read a CD, before the guy finally said "does the CD go in shiny side up or down?"

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:13 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: scarlet
Will once had a guy he was on the phone to for ages, trying to work out why his computer couldn't read a CD, before the guy finally said "does the CD go in shiny side up or down?"

He was lucky, we regularly get users who don't know where the CD's go at all.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:22 pm

Animal -

Oh god CD's

A regular call we get is:

"Hi, I had a CD stick in my drive, and then later I decided to ut another one in it"

I sit there and go FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT.

If they had left it at the first disc, theirs a good chance that the warranty would cover it, however they have to compound matters by forcing another disc in....

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:26 pm

Animal -

Actually...

A customer of ours some time ago bought an iBook, she then a week or two later brought it back asking for a refund..

Thing is, we couldnt do it.

She had scratched off any signs of the machines serial number and filled each port on the laptop with epoxy glue, she claimed that the nano tubes would escape and steal her information from her brain. When we refused she had a right go about it, said we were in cahoots with the people who make the nano tubes and all kinds of crazy crap.

Seriously. I wish I was making this sh*t up.

Cycling Antics

Vel

| 23,203 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:34 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Well, she sounds like she needed mental help tbh. However, some of those people...no comment, just
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:35 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:36 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: Squirrell_of_Doom
this one still astounds me

I bet someone has done it faster than Andy...

Vel

| 23,203 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:38 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Nah, 'cos if they did, he'd beat them at it again. You know he would.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:39 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: Lemony_Zester
Nah, 'cos if they did, he'd beat them at it again. You know he would.

You need to watch King of Kong...

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:39 pm

Outside-left

Quote: biggaginge
this one still astounds me

I bet someone has done it faster than Andy...

I don't know about that mate.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

9th Sept 2008 at 8:50 pm

Animal -

Also, just to prove not all users are mongs.

I had one guy having problems booting an old G4 Tower, just couldn't turn it on at all.

I tried a few things over the phone with him, none of which worked. Then out of lack of other options arranged for a call out.

I got a call a few hours later - They hadn't plugged the damned thing in.

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

10th Sept 2008 at 9:03 am

Animal -

Example of mong user.

Received a typically mongish call this morning.

User having problem with Mail.app - not able to open emails, seems to be selecting them rather than opening them when he clicks on them.

My first thought was either 1. Corrupted mailbox or 2. Faulty keyboard.

So, asked the user to rebuild the mailbox, by selecting the mailbox on the left handside, then going to the mailbox menu and selecting rebuild. Took the user a good 10 minutes to find the mailbox menu, with a lot of guidance from me (The menu would be at the top of the screen, in the menu bar when mail is the active application - he had finder as the active app for most of the conversation, despite me telling him to be in Mail.)

Rebuild didn't fix it, so asked if their seems to be problems selecting files, thinking the issue was with a stuck shift key. Was told it was fine.

Did some further troubleshooting, which took f*cking ages, since when I asked the user to select the hard drive (Big f*cking icon in the top right corner of every Mac called Macintosh HD by default) he could never find it.

Eventually decided to reset the guys account up from scratch, so dumped the prefs for mail forcing it to lose the account info - when I came to talk him through this, I found he couldn't type his name into the setup fields. Asked him to change keyboards and he could type again, on a hunch I got him to move the prefs for mail back to where they came from, lo and behold mail worked.

Took me a good 20 minutes to fix something that I had already worked out in the first 10 seconds of the call because the user neglected to give me the information I was asking for!

Cycling Antics

Animal

| 32,547 posts

11th Sept 2008 at 10:47 am

Animal -

Two great examples of user idiocy today.

First.

User calls, says they are having a problem with Apple Mail, since they aren't receiving emails, but are definitely expecting some. Check their webmail account, lo and behold, no new emails - spoke to them a bit further to find the only reason they know that they are due any new mail is because its coming from a co-worker, who is getting a bounce back.

Asked them to forward the bounced email on so I can look into it - their mailbox is full.

Called and told them to delete emails, to be told by the user that they only have 20 emails in their inbox, they normally move the rest to folders... Folders which just so happen to be on the mailserver too, because they use IMAP. She even knew they were on the mail server.. I point out this fact and you can just about hear the lights coming on as the realisation sets in.

Second call.

We have remote access to some of our clients, using a mix of direct ARD connections for server work and SSH and VPN for client machine access. One user from a company we have full VPN access to calls to say they have a problem accessing the internet.

She asked me to connect to her machine to work out why....

I mentioned brielfy that if their whole office is offline currently I can't connect to anyone, she responds with:

'Oh, you do that over the internet, I never knew!'

Cycling Antics

wombat

| 8,154 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 11:48 am

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

.. Oh, I thought this thread was going to be a tirade against people who get into relationships for ulterior motives.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

the doc

| 23,161 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 11:56 am

the doc -

Glad it wasn't just me.........

The Underwhelmed One

| 7,111 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 11:57 am

Quote: The_Educatedwombat
.. Oh, I thought this thread was going to be a tirade against people who get into relationships for ulterior motives.  

I think it's well within our rights to use it for this.

At the moment, I'm annoyed at the fact that I lent some guy £420 so he'd not be evicted.
He hasn't quite used the 'l' word, but he has used romantic lines such as 'stop making me fall for you, you complete b*tch' and 'I know this just sounds like noise, but I miss you. Is that ok?'

He's also sleeping with other people, was recently accused (falsely though) of rape, and last time I was at his, he was getting none stop phone calls from some woman who he claimed was stalking him, but who seemed just to want her dressing gown back.
Also, I think he's not quite divorced yet.

He does cook rather well though.
And he has adorable cats.

I'm a f*cking idiot aren't I?
I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 12:00 pm

the doc -

Yes.

Sorry, Sarah

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 1:24 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: Wierd_Welshgirl
He hasn't quite used the 'l' word, but he has used romantic lines such as 'stop making me fall for you, you complete b*tch' and 'I know this just sounds like noise, but I miss you. Is that ok?'

Those aren't romantic lines. That's bullsh*t cut with just the right amount of longing to get you hooked

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 1:28 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Don't sully this thread with sex users! This about the complete idiots me and Darren have to deal with!

the doc

| 23,161 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 1:56 pm

the doc -

Quote: fsc

Those aren't romantic lines. That's b*llsh*t cut with just the right amount of longing to get you hooked

Poor Sarah. She knows these things but she just can't help herself

I'd love it if she could get set with a proper nice guy and put all these c*nts to rest

Animal

| 32,547 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 2:04 pm

Animal -

Don't sully this thread with sex users! This about the complete idiots me and Darren have to deal with!

Exactly.

Speaking of idiots.

Expect a nice long rant about the f*cktard who was hired to replace either Me or Andy, depending on who quit first.

Cycling Antics

Vel

| 23,203 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 4:24 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

At the moment, I'm annoyed at the fact that I lent some guy £420 so he'd not be evicted.

He's also sleeping with other people, was recently accused (falsely though) of rape, and last time I was at his, he was getting none stop phone calls from some woman who he claimed was stalking him, but who seemed just to want her dressing gown back.

Good lord, Sarah.

Firstly, you need to start interviewing potential suitors. I don't care if it's Victorian, with the amount of sh*t you seem to attract (no offence, but why do you always get the ones who seem to use you?!), you need a screening process.
I suggest all applicants send their request to date Sarah to either Amy or I and we shall decide whether they are suitable and rich enough for you.

Seriously though, if he's married and also making moves on you, then he= TOTAL D*CKWAD.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 4:47 pm

Sarah...are you serious? Thats ridiculous. I'd buy you an adorable cat and make you dinner if it meant you got the hell out of there with that one! He's still kind of married, borrowed money off you whilst sleeping with other women (married makes me assume he's older and being unable to pay his own rent and taking money off of a student to do so is a little sad) and seems like a bit of a douche. Do you really want him to say the l word with all those qualities? Or rather, do you feel the l word with him?

Dinglebutt

| 11,949 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 7:11 pm

Dinglebutt - I aim to misbehave

I aim to misbehave

Operator: “Ridge Hall, computer assistance; may I help you?”

Caller: “Yes, well, I’m having trouble with WordPerfect.”

Operator: “What sort of trouble??”

Caller: “Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away.”

Operator: “Went away?”

Caller: “They disappeared.”

Operator: “Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?”

Caller: “Nothing.”

Operator: “Nothing?”

Caller: “It’s blank; it won’t accept anything when I type.”

Operator: “Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?”

Caller: “How do I tell?”

Operator: “Can you see the ‘C: prompt’ on the screen?”

Caller: “What’s a sea-prompt?”

Operator: “Never mind, can you move your cursor around the screen?”

Caller: “There isn’t any cursor; I told you, it won’t accept anything I type.”

Operator: “Does your monitor have a power indicator?”

Caller: “What’s a monitor?”

Operator: “It’s the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it’s on?”

Caller: “I don’t know.”

Operator: “Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?”

Caller: “Yes, I think so.”

Operator: “Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it’s plugged into the wall.

Caller: “Yes, it is.”

Operator: “When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?”

Caller: “No.”

Operator: “Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable.”

Caller: “Okay, here it is.”

Operator: “Follow it for me, and tell me if it’s plugged securely into the back of your computer.”

Caller: “I can’t reach.”

Operator: “OK. Well, can you see if it is?”

Caller: “No.”

Operator: “Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?”

Caller: “Well, it’s not because I don’t have the right angle, it’s because it’s dark.”

Operator: “Dark?”

Caller: “Yes, the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window.”

Operator: “Well, turn on the office light then.”

Caller: “I can’t.”

Operator: “No? Why not?”

Caller: “Because there’s a power failure.”

Operator: “A power ... A power failure? Aha. Okay, we’ve got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff that your computer came in?”

Caller: “Well, yes, I keep them in the closet.”

Operator: “Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from.”

Caller: “Really? Is it that bad?”

Operator: “Yes, I’m afraid it is.”

Caller: “Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?”

Operator: “Tell them you’re too stupid to own a computer!”

(This story isnt true. He explained calmly that computers need electricity and he probably lost the work that he hadnt saved. This version was sent round in an email and its just funnier)
Mal: Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoë: Big damn heroes, sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 7:37 pm

Outside-left

God woman you sure know how to get done like a meek housewife by a clever double glazing salesman don't you? You're far better than that. Up yer game.

The Dan - motivational speaker in the area of tough love. Est 1985.

The Underwhelmed One

| 7,111 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 8:20 pm

you know the worst part?

he used to BE a double glazing salesman.

*hangs head in shame*

But! I do realise this, and I'm on the lookout for someone better!
Alice, you may start advertising me in phone boxes.
I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 8:30 pm

Outside-left

you know the worst part?

he used to BE a double glazing salesman.

*hangs head in shame*

But! I do realise this, and I'm on the lookout for someone better!
Alice, you may start advertising me in phone boxes.

Ahahaha. Ahaha. Aha.

SHAMED!!

Seriously though, bag yourself a good 'un next time.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 11:16 pm

Tobias Fünke  - I blue myself.

I blue myself.

Ok, (Alice here). Who wants to apply for a hot date with Sarah? £2.00 admin fee and a good restaurant is a must. You must also be a snappy dresser. Furthermore, no sex until the 3rd date to know you are serious.

Photos are necessary.
Analrapist.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 11:17 pm

Tobias Fünke  - I blue myself.

I blue myself.

Also, no tw*ts please, we don't like tw*ts. Amen.
Analrapist.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

12th Sept 2008 at 11:59 pm

Animal -

Quote: Look_Dad_No_Tunes
Ok, (Alice here). Who wants to apply for a hot date with Sarah? £2.00 admin fee and a good restaurant is a must. You must also be a snappy dresser. Furthermore, no sex until the 3rd date to know you are serious.

Photos are necessary.
Third date? Jesus.

People move fast these days.

Cycling Antics

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 12:34 pm

Quote: Look_Dad_No_Tunes

Photos are necessary.

Who gets the two quid?

Vel

| 23,203 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 4:46 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Me. Sarah gets the meal, the dater gets Sarah. I want something out of it too.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 5:57 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

2 Quid eh? Do Stock & Piccolino's qualify as good restaurants?

Vel

| 23,203 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 6:11 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Send me a menu and I'll check. Don't forget her luxury chocolates though.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 6:12 pm

Outside-left

Piccolino's? A chain restaurant? Pfft.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 6:13 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Best offers apply.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 6:17 pm

Best offers apply.

And I'd just drawn up my CV, too.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 7:08 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

I likes what I likes. Fellucini's was good as well.

EDIT

Here's the menu for Piccolino's
http://www.piccolinorestaurants.co.uk/pdfs/SEPT08/PICC-MANCHESTER-LIVERPOOL-CHESTER-STOCKTON-HEATH-MAIN-SEPT-08.pdf

Edited by Pope of Chilli Town Sept 2008

Vel

| 23,203 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 8:12 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Hmm, the menu does look rather good, but which branch. Also, what would the itinery of this date look like?
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 8:20 pm

Outside-left

I likes what I likes. Fellucini's was good as well.

EDIT

Here's the menu for Piccolino's
http://www.piccolinorestaurants.co.uk/pdfs/SEPT08/PICC-MANCHESTER-LIVERPOOL-CHESTER-STOCKTON-HEATH-MAIN-SEPT-08.pdf

Nowt wrong with Piccolino's. Especially with that menu. Damn.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 8:22 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Hmm, the menu does look rather good, but which branch. Also, what would the itinery of this date look like?

The one near Albert Sq,

7:00 meet, couple of light refreshments
7:30 restaurant, witty chat about politics, the latest literature etc, eat
9:30 Leave, head to Hilton for a glass of wine or two
10:30 Make with a polite excuse and leave

Vel

| 23,203 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 8:25 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Well, I think cocktails should be involved so that a cocktail dress and heels can be worn by the lady, and a suit by the suitor but apart from that, it sounds quite good.

Hmm. Any other contenders or does Phil win Sarah's date*?

*Sarah does get the last say, otherwise she'd end up with the tramp outside my house. He's moderately hot and has a box of clothes with high heels. Earns a good living, too.

Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 8:27 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

I was going to say cocktails, but I'm a red stripe king of guy.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

13th Sept 2008 at 8:28 pm

Outside-left

Incidentally, i was going to suggest suits and whatever classy evening wear that women are meant to sport as the next food and drink club.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: