Criticism of the military

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

12th Jun 2008 at 3:43 pm

I stumbled upon this facebook group the other day when some of my more right-wing friends (coincidentally the same ones in the infamous 'I was born in the UK...' group, but that's not really relevant) joined it. A rather astonishing six thousand people want this group removed, with venom usually reserved for the BNP or being Ian Huntley.

Just why is criticising the military seen as such a big no-no? The group in question isn't particularly abusive, and while it's not 100% accurate isn't doing much harm. It's worth noting that the membership is one tenth of the protest group.

I don't agree with everything on there, and I understand the purpose of having a military. Germany in WW2 was clearly a threat to the country, and action was needed. But the main purpose of the group seems to be questioning why unconditional praise is lavished on the military, when let's be honest it's done very little to deserve it? A soldier coming home dead is a hero, when for all we know he could have just been a bit of a sh*t soldier and standing in the wrong place.

Lets be honest, much of the criticism derives from Iraq. Quite in contrast to the 'fighting for our country' line that is often trotted out, the Iraq war has very little relevance to the UK, now we know the '45 minute weapons' claim was a lie. And I believe there are newspaper polls that suggest the majority of people want the troops to come home. While they are performing a peacekeeping function (which would be better suited to UN troops) it seems that their main purpose over the last four years or so is to perform numerous human rights abuses.

Then you have the free speech argument. As Tony Blair and George Bush were so keen to remind us repeatedly, our civilisations were founded on free speech and democracy, hence going into Iraq in the first place to enforce democracy. Yet it seems the people supporting this action are also the people who are arguing to crack down on this right.

This isn't particularly patriotic (the other common insult thrown at people who share this viewpoint), but so what? What does that word even mean in this day and age? Why should we accept everything the country does unquestionably?
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

12th Jun 2008 at 4:00 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Hitler ran a top notch economy, you know.

The problem i have with c*nts and groups like that is that the basis of their argument is fundamentally wrong. People sign up to the Armed Forces to serve their country and do so whether they agree with the political climate/highly controversial war or not. They do so because if they don't, who else will?

Criticising the soldiers for fighting out there is the most boneheaded thing a tree hugger can possibly do in relation to the situation, and shows a complete lack of understanding of...it all! (i still maintain that in order to fully understand military life, you have to have lived the military life, and i know a few people on here who have because they're the only ones i really pay any attention to when something like this comes up)

The soldiers are doing their job - It's the people who authorised the invasion that should have their ankles broken so we can recognise them by their limping. Damning the soldiers isn't going to change a thing out there except disillusion the people who risk death by going to work. Damning the folk who sent them there might, just might, one day make a difference.

Whilst i'd never ever want to see the freedom of speech eradicated, some people just deserve to have their tongues cut off for the sake of irony.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

12th Jun 2008 at 4:12 pm

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

Quote: Squirrell_of_Doom

The problem i have with c*nts and groups like that is that the basis of their argument is fundamentally wrong. People sign up to the Armed Forces to serve their country and do so whether they agree with the political climate/highly controversial war or not. They do so because if they don't, who else will?

Criticising the soldiers for fighting out there is the most boneheaded thing a tree hugger can possibly do in relation to the situation, and shows a complete lack of understanding of...it all! (i still maintain that in order to fully understand military life, you have to have lived the military life, and i know a few people on here who have because they're the only ones i really pay any attention to when something like this comes up)

The soldiers are doing their job - It's the people who authorised the invasion that should have their ankles broken so we can recognise them by their limping. Damning the soldiers isn't going to change a thing out there except disillusion the people who risk death by going to work. Damning the folk who sent them there might, just might, one day make a difference.

Whilst i'd never ever want to see the freedom of speech eradicated, some people just deserve to have their tongues cut off for the sake of irony.

this.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

12th Jun 2008 at 4:16 pm

What's the relevance? Is this another example of the "if you dont support the British army you must be a nazi" idiot logic that gets thrown around

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

12th Jun 2008 at 4:19 pm

Tobias Fünke  - I blue myself.

I blue myself.

I concur with Tory Boy on this, rather sadly. I don't think you should be personally attacked for holding the opinion Joel, I just think you're wrong and have posted on your Facebook with my £0.02.

(But hey, it's freedom of speech. Good luck with it.)
Analrapist.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

12th Jun 2008 at 4:20 pm

I blue myself.

Though let's leave the Godwin's Law stuff out of this.
Analrapist.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

12th Jun 2008 at 4:40 pm

Quote: Look_Dad_No_Tunes

I don't think it's Godwin's Law if it occurs in the first reply.

I also don't agree that everything can be justified with 'theyre just doing their job', like everyone is totally naive when they sign up. Surely when people sign up they must have some idea of what their job MAY entail. Particularly as according to the Guardian recruitment was up 9.2% for the most recent year figures were available (2006).

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

12th Jun 2008 at 4:46 pm

Outside-left

Quote: pablomarmite

I also don't agree that everything can be justified with 'theyre just doing their job', like everyone is totally naive when they sign up. Surely when people sign up they must have some idea of what their job MAY entail. Particularly as according to the Guardian recruitment was up 9.2% for the most recent year figures were available (2006).

That's not fully correct though mate. Do you have any idea how many forces jobs will never take an applicant near a battlefield to fight? I've got the book upstairs if you want a list.

EDIT - FFS i've just pasted this over the top of my last post.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

12th Jun 2008 at 4:58 pm

I blue myself.

Quote: Look_Dad_No_Tunes

I don't think it's Godwin's Law if it occurs in the first reply.

So can you name a country that doesn't have a military? It's not exactly realistic to suggest all people are in a position to turn down what the miltary life offers. I don't doubt there are some complete d*cks in the army (I know a few), but calling them 'baby killers' isn't exactly helpful either. It's like people who call students lazy drunken tax dodging unwashed guardian reading c*nts. Undoubtedly there are students that conform to that stereotype, but it's unfair on most.
Analrapist.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

12th Jun 2008 at 5:01 pm

I should point out again in my first post I said I understand the need of a military. I'm not against soldiers, I'm against the idea that they're somehow beyond criticism.

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

12th Jun 2008 at 5:10 pm

I blue myself.

Yes Joel, but the only people who won't grant you having that opinion are idiots anyway. Equally, do you think calling soldiers 'baby killers' is helpful?
Analrapist.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

13th Jun 2008 at 12:29 am

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote:

You endorsing Keynesian pump-priming there, Dan?

But yeah, I'd have to agree with Dan as well, criticising the soldiers because they're doing the job they're meant to do is a bit unfair on the squaddies, especially when there's generals and politicians that need a good kicking.

What is on is criticising the soldiers for the jobs they're not meant to do, like, for instance, prisoner abuse, which astonishingly seems to be missed by those supporting their country, right and wrong, especially the wrong.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

13th Jun 2008 at 2:37 pm

Outside-left

Quote: fsc
Quote:

You endorsing Keynesian pump-priming there, Dan?

The results were impressive economically, but the methods used to get them were less so. I'm still all about Milton Friedman

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

5th Jul 2008 at 2:24 pm

equality, tolerance & logic

I should point out again in my first post I said I understand the need of a military. I'm not against soldiers, I'm against the idea that they're somehow beyond criticism.

agreed.

facebook and the world must be a place for freedom of speech.
Now is that salary pre or post tax?

100% of Earth's population agrees with the following statement.

"Forces should be spending their time catching rapists and murders and not worry about piracy theft."

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

5th Jul 2008 at 3:27 pm

Outside-left

Quote: sammy_tsang

agreed.

facebook is privately owned. they can remove what they like.

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

5th Jul 2008 at 3:32 pm

agreed.

fair enough did not know it was privately owned. they own it they can do what they want i guess.

"Forces should be spending their time catching rapists and murders and not worry about piracy theft."

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

5th Jul 2008 at 3:35 pm

Outside-left

agreed.

fair enough did not know it was privately owned. they own it they can do what they want i guess.

who/what did you think owned it then?

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

5th Jul 2008 at 3:43 pm

agreed.

some company called facebook plc/ltd something or other. doesn't really matter who owns it. i only use it instead of using my phone.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

5th Jul 2008 at 3:59 pm

Outside-left

agreed.

some company called facebook plc/ltd something or other. doesn't really matter who owns it. i only use it instead of using my phone.

Eh?? If a company owns it, it's private property.

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

5th Jul 2008 at 4:06 pm

Quote: biggaginge

agreed.

Don't ask Dan, he has no concept of Copyright or ownership, its like he's from the future or some wack job sh*t.

views and opinions. all are different

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

5th Jul 2008 at 5:01 pm

Quote: biggaginge
Quote: girlpants
Yes, some of them are wrong.

Like the ones that seem to think copyright infringement isn't a crime.

No no no. It is a crime, but its OK to break it because other people do the same...

No i did something illegal a long time ago. just ask Emma the 37th. The evidence is in the CD Got to bless Classical music

27th Jul 2008 at 5:41 pm

fire & fine ales

banning anyone thoughts on a social network or message board is STOOPID!

Free Speech can only exist if it's for all. I don't care what people say as I can avoid anyone who disagrees with my brilliant mind...but I want people to be able to speak their mind. Without Facebook the world would end anyway.

I could also gag over the excessive use of the word hero in this world. Your not a hero because you sign up for the military and then go to war.It's how you act there and at home that matters.

Average people who do simple things are heros .Oh wait, did I just use the word hero? [smiley=Flush.gif]

~Party @ the Moontower~

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Jul 2008 at 5:27 pm

Quote: tammytomatoes
Without Facebook the world would end anyway.

... What? Is it really that simple to destroy the world? [smiley=a-Evil.gif]
A Random Link
I don't give a f*ck you f*cking f*ck!

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

28th Jul 2008 at 5:30 pm

Πανδώρα -

GIZEPPE! D:
*burp*

28th Jul 2008 at 7:58 pm

fire & fine ales

Shhh..it's not for all to know.

Really though, I would love the see the world react to Mypsace just going poof in one day. It's sure to end some lives.

~Party @ the Moontower~

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Jul 2008 at 9:05 pm

Really though, I would love the see the world react to Mypsace just going poof in one day. It's sure to end some lives.

In before: "He was an hero..."

[/ /b/ lulz]
A Random Link

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

28th Jul 2008 at 9:52 pm

fire & fine ales

Quote: Dr_Namgge

[/ /b/ lulz]

Huh?

~Party @ the Moontower~

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Jul 2008 at 11:34 pm

Quote: Dr_Namgge

[/ /b/ lulz]

Huh?

You're actually better for not knowing/getting/understanding 4chan to be honest. I'm sure Encyclopaedia Dramatica could explain it to you. Just look up the meme's "in before" and "an hero" on that sight, and it'll explain it all. Alternate, click the links I gave.

Or, if you value sanity, don't.
A Random Link

Quote:

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

29th Jul 2008 at 12:11 am

Dissimulation -

Actually, you may just be 'inb4 teh lockage', that Thing. Which is precisely what I'm tempted to do to any future threads containing the witless faggotry known as 4chan.  

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

29th Jul 2008 at 12:29 am

I blue myself.

We're not laughing at you. We're laughing towards you.
Analrapist.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page