Ticket Prices

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

the doc

| 23,161 posts

26th Feb 2008 at 10:20 pm

the doc -

(Mods, feel free to stick this on the music board if you see fit to do so)

The prices of gigs these days is absolutely f*cking scandalous, I reckon. I've been going to gigs for fourteen years, and obviously there's got to be inflation and stuff, but I think it's just getting silly now and it p*sses me off having to miss gigs just because I'm unable or unwilling to shell out for the tickets. Last year I wanted to go see Beth Orton, and they were charging twenty seven and a half quid for a ticket, before the obligatory booking fees and all the other sh*t they stick on the top of an already over-priced ticket. And that gig was at the Refectory, one of the worst venues in the history of all creation. A lot of venues are growing and it's not necessarily for the best. Look what a f*cking mess they're making of the Academy in Manchester, they're doubling the capacity but now it's got no soul. And, obviously, to cover the cost of the building work, the ticket prices will go up. Again. Even smaller venues like the Cockpit or the Hop and Grape (I absolutely refuse to call it by its new name) are charging twelve or fifteen quid for some gigs these days and I think it's absolutely f*cking mental.

Any thoughts?

Animal

| 32,547 posts

26th Feb 2008 at 10:37 pm

Animal -

Unfortunately, I can see where the costs come from.

Gigging is a costly, costly business. Annoyingly, tickets are the mainstay of any bands income as well. So as fans we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Pay full whack, knowing the bands get a fair wodge of money out of it, or refuse to pay and miss out on a gig.

Yeah, you could chance it with a tout, but to be honest, these guys are complete c*nts for the most part so I refuse to part with money where they are concerned, even if they are operating at a loss due to the doors being open/the gig not selling well.
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page