New Year's Eve

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

YaDunKnow

| 95 posts

10th Dec 2007 at 9:34 pm

VR kicks ass!

Quite simply, the bain of my life. As Nick Hancock put it on some panel show or other, it's "enforced fun".

Obviously, staying in and watching the telly is a complete no-no unless you're married, in a stable relationship or old. No, being a single, young male I'm duty bound to join in the particularly odious willy waving contest that is planning a NYE celebration. Whether it's an intimate get together with close friends, a simple, no nonsense house party or night on the lash or you're going for the full on uber-cool deluxe clubbing experience, the important thing is not to actually enjoy yourself but to give the impression that you're having the best time imaginable and make sure that everyone else around you before, during and after the event knows just how much cooler you and your mates are than everyone else and just how much of a better time you're having than them.

Ironically, giving the impression of enjoyment is the easy part. Getting dressed up, loading yourself up with booze and drugs, spending a sh*tload of cash you haven't got and generally trundling around shouting loudly tends to suffice, wherever you are on NYE. It's the nagging realization at the pit of your stomach that all of it is utterly futile that's the hard part.

Whatever you do, you can't win. If you go for the low-key, "NYE's just another night approach" your mates who've gone to Fabric will inevitably end up going back to the Colombian women's Beach Volleyball team's hotel while you wake up with a horrible hangover, a black eye from where you had a fight with your best mate after getting off with his bird or sister (or something equally tedious) and only the prospect of watching your team draw 0-0 in arctic conditions in the good old New Year's Day match.

If you do decide to hit the Big Smoke however, you'll find yourself paying £50 for the privelige of being surrounded by pretentious tw*ts who don't really know anything about the music and are only here to look cool at the "less defined cultural happenings" the venue is planning to appeal to its target Hoxtonite audience. You'll also be plagued by the sneaking suspicion that you and your mates are actually no better yourselves. You'll probably wind up doing far too many drugs to compensate and drinking too much because "come on, it's New Year's Eve" and wind up on the couch at your mate's flat at 8am chatting, purely for the sake of it, with his boring mate from uni about the concept of consensus reality and its portrayal in The Matrix (or something equally pretentious) all the while hating yourself but not wanting to seem rude. And meanwhile, back home? That rave that your idiot mate was planning, turns out, for once, to be awesome, 1,000 people turn out and it has to be broken up by riot police at 10 in the morning and, of course, the owner of the site's p*ssed off now and the police are wise to it so it'll never happen again. It'll be one of those you unmissable nights but, still you had a good time in London, right?

And yes, I know I shouldn't take it so seriously but this is me we're talking about, and I'm a neurotic fool and there's just too much pressure on the whole thing.

Lucozade Lover

| 8,558 posts

10th Dec 2007 at 9:39 pm

Lucozade Lover -

It's just another man-made date you know...

That said, if there's a nice party on - I'll go to it, but you'll be sure I'll escape somewhere just before 12 if I can to avoid the desperate people wanting kisses from strangers just to kid themselves they're popular... eurgh. *vomit*

I think halloween is fast becoming a more fun alternative to new years.

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

10th Dec 2007 at 9:42 pm

Roxannie -

Do a Ross Noble! spend the evening building up for a massive dump, then go the the toilet just before midnight so you can hear the cheers at the perfect moment.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

10th Dec 2007 at 9:46 pm

Carpet Remnant -

do you hate everything or just most things?

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

10th Dec 2007 at 9:56 pm

Roxannie -

[http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5499/26317f06611ae3.jpg]

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

10th Dec 2007 at 11:41 pm

Quote: Rox
[http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5499/26317f06611ae3.jpg]

My plan for new years is simple. I shall be doing nothing special, and treating it like every other day, bar slightly different hours at work on new years day.

I'm well cool like
A Random Link
I don't give a f*ck you f*cking f*ck!

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 1:33 am

Chris Kamara -

New Year's is usually a pretty b*ll*cks affair, by all accounts. I'm with my family and the wife-to-be this year though, so it promises to be quite good. Probably just get a bit drunk, but I won't complain at that.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 1:36 am

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Quote: Hans_Gruber
New Year's is usually a pretty b*ll*cks affair, by all accounts. I'm with my family and the wife-to-be this year though, so it promises to be quite good. Probably just get a bit drunk, but I won't complain at that.

There's nothing to complain about when your future wife brings you cold beers all night and opens them right next to you.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 1:40 am

Chris Kamara -

Whilst doing my ironing and preparing my lunch for the next day

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 1:47 am

Outside-left

Whilst doing my ironing and preparing my lunch for the next day

*Hi-5*

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 1:47 am

Chris Kamara -

One of these days she's gonna read what I post, and I'm going to get absolutely bollocked. The Irish eyes won't be smiling.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 1:53 am

Outside-left

One of these days she's gonna read what I post, and I'm going to get absolutely bollocked. The Irish eyes won't be smiling.

It's ok, you've got a winning smile that im sure will get you off the hook.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 1:58 am

Chris Kamara -

And if that fails, I'll stand my ground and swear a bit, and then point at either the ironing pile, the sink full of dishes, or the front lawn.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 1:59 am

Outside-left

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 2:02 am

Chris Kamara -

Do you have plans for New Year yourself, Dan, while we're here? Drinking, I'd guess, and more specifically, alcohol.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 2:22 am

Outside-left

Do you have plans for New Year yourself, Dan, while we're here? Drinking, I'd guess, and more specifically, alcohol.

Yes, im back drinking again now. I couldn't quite make 6 months like i'd intended but i feel a hell of a lot better for making it 5 months, which is good enough. I'll be at a house in Liverpool with some mates for New Years. Same as last year, without the post-American woman blues.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 10:14 am

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Pscht. New Year. New Year.

Hogmanay, bitches!

Sir Earlee Beardless

| 1,122 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 10:47 am

Remaining Beardless since 1989

Probably be invited into town by some friends but New Years Eve in Kingston isn't exactly appealing.  But perhaps slightly better than NYE in Romford where I'd probably be punched and kicked by some chav.  
Being Beardless takes up alot of time. Actually no it doesn't unless you use a wooden spoon to shave.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 12:07 pm

the doc -

I normally sit in front of Goodfellas with a bottle of Jack on New Year's Eve. Going out is for losers

Claire

| 15,814 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 12:45 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

I'm working. WORKING. Til half 9. And then I've got to get changed in the works toilets and travel half an hour to some party situation All because of old people, the w*nkers.
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 12:45 pm

John Cage Bubblegum -

Not sure yet. Might try and take the opportunity to meet up with some of the BGS crew, I haven't seen half of them in four years. Most likely I'll be sat in my parents' front room with various alcoholic substances, though.
Peter Kenyon has a medal

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 1:22 pm

Puffalump - Because cake is happiness

Because cake is happiness

I'll be at home cos all my friends are doing "couples" stuff. fun times ahead!
Wife of the lovely Alice

Emma

| 9,777 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 1:26 pm

Emma - EXTREME!

EXTREME!

I'm working then going out with Fee in Manchester, I think!
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

JM

| 8,289 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 2:53 pm

Quote: YaDunKnow

If you do decide to hit the Big Smoke however, you'll find yourself paying £50 for the privelige of being surrounded by pretentious tw*ts who don't really know anything about the music

While your post is funny and i agree with some of it, i hate phrases like this! Why do people assume that you have to 'know' something about music to go to certain places.

I always find it's these people who 'know' about music and are in their little bands who know absolutely sod all. I had to explain to someone who Kate Bush was the other day!

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 3:13 pm

Quote: Heffalump

Yeah, thats not as sad as coming to Mosh by yourself... I'm offering you like 5 free tickets, you must be able to find one spare mate...

I shall be getting paid £200 to play records and drink myself into excess on knock-off champagne. It's gonna be great
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 4:15 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: the_doc
I normally sit in front of Goodfellas with a bottle of Jack on New Year's Eve. Going out is for losers

F*ck you! Pay me.

I'll either be at a house party in Chorlton with some mates from work drinking til daft o'clock or I'll be at Friends & Family in town with me mate Connor so we can listen to some quality Hip Hop whilst drinking ourselves stupid and blimping on girls.

Obelisk the Tormentor

| 12,281 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 11:04 pm

Obelisk the Tormentor - TOOOOORMENT!!

TOOOOORMENT!!

And if that fails, I'll stand my ground and swear a bit, and then point at either the ironing pile, the sink full of dishes, or the front lawn.

is that to let sarah know which one youre gonna do first?

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 11:32 pm

Chris Kamara -

Haha. It would probably end up that way, yes.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 11:35 pm

Puffalump - Because cake is happiness

Because cake is happiness

Quote: Dr_Harold_Shipman
Quote: Heffalump

Yeah, thats not as sad as coming to Mosh by yourself... I'm offering you like 5 free tickets, you must be able to find one spare mate...

I shall be getting paid £200 to play records and drink myself into excess on knock-off champagne. It's gonna be great

I shall ask my ONE single friend. But I'm quite sure she'll be doing stuff with Uni people / and or staying in Italy. And you know I don't do going clubs on my own. It isn't right.
Wife of the lovely Alice

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

11th Dec 2007 at 11:44 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

Who the hell does clubs on there own?? That's just wrong.......

New Years is always such a let down. Although last year was ace- a small-ish group of us, made dinner (while tipsy, probably not the cleverest idea in the world but it worked...), got drunk, gossiped and tv. So like another night in, just with a new year theme and slightly nicer food! Was perfect... much better than having to make an effort with too expensive clubs or having to go round catching up with people you never really knew what was going on with when you were at the same school but are suddenly interested because they've consumed alcohol or whatever!

Although if anyone's in the Cardiff area and wants a night out, the union's doing one for £9 entry (though you need NUS/ to be with someone with NUS I think), normal priced drinks and decent music in at least one of the rooms. If I could be arsed to get myself there I'd actually go... but naaah...
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

12th Dec 2007 at 10:04 am

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Nine pounds? F*cking hell.

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

12th Dec 2007 at 10:56 am

I shall be spending it in my new flat, with my brother, his fiance and their little girl.

FAMBLYNESS IS GOOD

Lucozade Lover

| 8,558 posts

12th Dec 2007 at 12:45 pm

Lucozade Lover -

Quote: Elusive_Moose

If you can handle the initial nerviness it's actually quite liberating, but it is a bit rubbish on an occasion like New Years - much better with friends generally. I like the flexibility to go talk (or indeed flirt, hehe) to whoever I want without feeling bad about leaving anyone on their own.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

12th Dec 2007 at 12:48 pm

the doc -

Quote:

Just have a cheeky E or three, you end up with loads of friends in no time

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

12th Dec 2007 at 2:22 pm

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

We cant have a new years party as our miserble neighbours will b*tch about the noise AGAIn!
Never take life seriously.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

12th Dec 2007 at 7:20 pm

Quote: Elusive_Moose

Not as wrong as spending the party night of the year sat at home on your own

Quote:
Just have a cheeky E or three, you end up with loads of friends in no time

Haha yeah, I bet Amy'll be up for that after the grief I got...
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

John Cage Bubblegum

| 6,555 posts

14th Dec 2007 at 2:45 pm

John Cage Bubblegum -

Quote: YaDunKnow
If you do decide to hit the Big Smoke however, you'll find yourself paying £50 for the privelige of being surrounded by pretentious tw*ts who don't really know anything about the music and are only here to look cool at the "less defined cultural happenings" the venue is planning to appeal to its target Hoxtonite audience.

You just summed up Shoreditch / Hoxton perfectly. What a miserable part of the world. How can such a sh*thole be so full of pretentious c*nts?
Peter Kenyon has a medal

The Underwhelmed One

| 7,111 posts

16th Dec 2007 at 3:48 pm

either going back to Manchester for one of a few partys or (more likely) asking around where I live to see who might want a babysitter.

there are some idiots willing to pay far too much money for a night away from their precious kids, and I intend to make the most of that!!
I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

16th Dec 2007 at 4:21 pm

Roxannie -

looks like me and my brother are invinting people round for a big firework party hopefully with a demonstration of fire diablo from my boyfriend, and firebreathing/juggling from our friend, while my brother's lot will probably have some form of explosives.

On bonfire night they created this (picture) electronic firework launcher, so God knows what they're working on for new year

Dr. Harold Shipman

| 10,547 posts

16th Dec 2007 at 4:27 pm

Dr. Harold Shipman - Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

I'm going to sit in on my own and be miserable.

Any want to come round and join me?

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

17th Dec 2007 at 2:46 pm

I'm now going to be sitting in my cold flat since moving to lewes has been put back due to sh*tty former tennants

Emma

| 9,777 posts

17th Dec 2007 at 2:58 pm

Emma - EXTREME!

EXTREME!

I just booked mine and Fee's tickets for The Venue in Manchester. So that's settled...
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

17th Dec 2007 at 11:38 pm

I hate NYE. Going out in London is hellish, expensive and full of tossers. House parties are good, I guess but the best one to go to this year would probably be a boy in the year below because he has a hot tub but I wont be allowed to go to that one because of sexual politics so it looks like I'm staying in and watching Bambi this year.

Πανδώρα

| 15,327 posts

18th Dec 2007 at 12:04 am

Πανδώρα -

sat in front of the telly wi' most of me family & some old w*nker, doing nothing special, slowly becoming more and more drunk before finally passing out at about 3 am
as such happened last year

alternatively for a change, i may have an early night
*burp*

Tobias Fünke

| 4,730 posts

18th Dec 2007 at 1:05 am

Tobias Fünke  - I blue myself.

I blue myself.

Alice and I will be in Oxford at a house party, having a gay old time. Job is indeed a good 'un.

Analrapist.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

18th Dec 2007 at 1:24 am

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

I may go up to Trafalgar Square and hang about getting cold and knocking back the beers.

Or not.

I don't know, this sucks.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

18th Dec 2007 at 9:35 am

I've decided to say f*ck loneliness. I'm dressing up and going out to the social club nye party. should be slightly less sh*t than sitting in my room.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

18th Dec 2007 at 11:24 am

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

Quote: Dr_Dre_Buys_a_Pint_Of_Milk
Alice and I will be in Oxford at a house party, having a gay old time. Job is indeed a good 'un.

That's not fair, you're not allowed to have more fun in my town that I do Tis crap, all house parties on our side of town seem to involve the police these days because of certain groups of people. Wow, that makes it sound like I live in a ghetto. I don't. I don't think anywhere in Oxford is capable of being ghetto-like. Just full of annoying chavvy gangs and old people who complain about noise too much.
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

18th Dec 2007 at 1:59 pm

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

I don't know what I will do. But whatever it is, I'm sure it will be fun. I'll either cry from lonliness or cry the next day from regret

the doc

| 23,161 posts

18th Dec 2007 at 4:34 pm

the doc -

Better to regret something you have done than something you haven't, Lucyhead

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: