Dissertations & general uni essays

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

JM

| 8,289 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 4:07 pm

It's that time of year and all i want to say is RAGHHHH!

If only we could come to uni and just go out and have fun...

Also, is it true that getting a 1st makes you look a little bit odd and geeky in your degree? I keep hearing this...

It's a bit weird because there is a slight chance i could get one if i put some serious work in. That would make a change to my previous 'work' during the last three years which tends to come in the last two weeks of each semester.

Edited by JM Dec 2007

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 4:09 pm

Chris Kamara -

I finished my degree last year. Haha.

JM

| 8,289 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 4:15 pm

lucky for some, 'tino

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 4:35 pm

Chris Kamara -

You should try and get a first, and also start supporting a decent footy side. Big Sam has somehow made your lot even worse; it's comical. The Barcodes will be relegation candidates if they carry on like this

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 8:17 pm

Pope of Chilli Town -

Quote: JM

Also, is it true that getting a 1st makes you look a little bit odd and geeky in your degree? I keep hearing this...

It's a bit weird because there is a slight chance i could get one if i put some serious work in. That would make a change to my previous 'work' during the last three years which tends to come in the last two weeks of each semester.

A first can make you look like a bit of a swot, I know the lads in work with firsts tend to be the social rejects/outcasts of Uni> Its ALWAYS good to have the highest mark possible, but if you fancied going into commercial banking or law where there is a heavy obligation to engage in the social side of things all the time it can give you an odd slant as someone with no life who wouldnt be part of the team.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 9:24 pm

Puffalump - Because cake is happiness

Because cake is happiness

I'd swap a first for my 2:2 anyday. Who cares about being popular?

Also i'd like to point out i have an Honours degree even though I didn't do a dissertation!
Wife of the lovely Alice

Topper

| 6,773 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 9:27 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Quote: Heffalump
I'd swap a first for my 2:2 anyday. Who cares about being popular?

Also i'd like to point out  i have an Honours degree even though I didn't do a dissertation!

You gay! Mine was a pointlesss pile of w*nk on fat knob Moyles. F*ck.
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 9:32 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

If you get a second when you could have realistically got a first if you tried a bit harder, i will actually come to your town and punch you repeatedly in the face. If you get a First in a credible subject (i assume you're taking Politics) then you win. There isn't a higher mark to get.

What can possibly be geeky about scoring in the highest percentile? If my B-Tec gives me any indication that i'm NOT going to get at least a 2:1, i'm not going to bother with uni.

JM

| 8,289 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 9:40 pm

It's not so much geeky, but i keep hearing about employers who think you haven't had a life at uni if you get a first and not employing you because of that.

What's even more annoying is that, in my case, this could not be further from the truth. I'm in a pretty good situation considering i've only really worked hard during essay and exam time. I could have done so much more work.

To be honest, i'll probably get a 2,1, so it doesn't matter. I'm more annoyed about these essays in general hence the rant

The Underwhelmed One

| 7,111 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 9:41 pm

Places that might employ you WILL interview you to check for freakish geekishness or whatever else.

If you can get one, a first is worth the work!
I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 9:42 pm

Outside-left

It's not so much geeky, but i keep hearing about employers thinking you haven't had a life at uni if you get a first and not employing you because of that.

What's even more annoying is that, in my case, this could not be further from the truth. I'm in a pretty good situation considering i've only really worked hard during essay and exam time.

To be honest, i'll probably get a 2,1, so it doesn't matter. I'm more annoyed about these essays in general

Create a 'social society' that is relatively obscure, but with a name that makes it sound mainstream and popular. Make yourself Head. Win. Tips from *spits* Michael Moore there.

I'm still going to punch you if you don't get a First when you can.

JM

| 8,289 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 9:46 pm

I am trying Dan. Give me 3000 words on why George Bush Snr was a one-term President

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

4th Dec 2007 at 10:02 pm

Outside-left

I am trying Dan. Give me 3000 words on why George Bush Snr was a one-term President

well, given the simplicity of the average american voter, you can explain it one word - "tax". That question can be summarised with the following paragraph, saving you 2900 words;

"Said George Bush Snr in his 1988 election campaign, "Read my lips - no new taxes", yet he implemented new taxes midway through his first and only term because [insert reasons given here], an issue which the Democrats, and consequently Bill Clinton, capitalized (Z replacing S for extra USA! power) on this with some clever initiatives [explain counter measures here] which crucially for the ailing US economy at the time, didn't actually repeal Mr Bush Snr's tax increases".

I do love writing about political theory, but to be perfectly frank, i don't see where i personally could take a degree in such a subject into a career, hence why i've chosen to study sciences.

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 12:15 am

Ahh, this was already part of my essay. However, i'm delighted to offer you my leather swivel chair.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 1:29 am

Outside-left

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 1:39 am

You demand too much. Next it will be my babies

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 1:44 am

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: Valentino_Rossi

well, given the simplicity of the average american voter, you can explain it one word - "tax". That question can be summarised with the following paragraph, saving you 2900 words;

"Said George Bush Snr in his 1988 election campaign, "Read my lips - no new taxes", yet he implemented new taxes midway through his first and only term because [insert reasons given here], an issue which the Democrats, and consequently Bill Clinton, capitalized (Z replacing S for extra USA! power) on this with some clever initiatives [explain counter measures here] which crucially for the ailing US economy at the time, didn't actually repeal Mr Bush Snr's tax increases".

Good man, although if he wants to stretch it out a teeny bit more, which I suspect he does, he might want to talk about the related issue of Perot and Reform.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 3:41 am

Outside-left

[quote=The Ghost of the English Language link=1196784460/15#16 date=1196819097]Quote: Valentino_Rossi

Good man, although if he wants to stretch it out a teeny bit more, which I suspect he does, he might want to talk about the related issue of Perot and Reform.[/quote]
Hercule himself! I am ridiculously ashamed that i forgot about him. The single biggest reason why Bush Snr lost the '92 Election *smashes head repeatedly against wall*

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 12:53 pm

'it's the economy, stupid!'

Lucozade Lover

| 8,558 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 1:34 pm

Lucozade Lover -

That "read my lips" speech is quoted in Megadeth's Foreclosure Of A Dream video. /media trivia

Actually if you need relief from Bush Snr I highly recommend listening to some of their anti-government songs from that period. Lyrically it forms a pretty good summary of the times.

Foreclosure of a Dream I think was done in retrospect though as that was released during Clinton's time in the mid nineties.

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 1:56 pm

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

I have to do a 12000 word dissertation and 2 6000 word essays!!
Never take life seriously.

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 7:19 pm

I sympathise with the 12,000 word dissertation...

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 7:32 pm

Roxannie -

I have to do a 1200 word essay over Christmas, poor me!

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 10:21 pm

Quote: Rox

1200? You don't know you're born, you don't.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 10:34 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

Aargh, what utter w*nkshaft schedules our exams... So all of us with four/five/six essays to write in four weeks have our exams a day or so after they're due in. But those people who ONLY HAVE EXAMS and no coursework whatsoever... yeah, let's give them the exams on the second week despite they fact that they'll have had five weeks to revise for them by then. Baaaah.

Anyone want to come and decipher my Marlowe questions for me so I can actually start writing the thing?

Oh well, all four of my essays together don't equal Paul's 12,000 words so can't complain too much... But so much research... and five Shakespeare plays to learn... Merry Christmas from Cardiff..!
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 10:42 pm

my 12,000 dissertation is due in the day after Easter.

Only 3 x 3000 word essays this semester, but still...

I sympathise with the exams too! Why is that some people seem to have them all spaced out or none at all!

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 10:43 pm

Outside-left

Quote: Rox

Oh no! 2 pages of size 10 font!

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 10:48 pm

Chris Kamara -

I actually quite like doing big reports. Back on my degree I had to do a lot of 2 or 3 thousand word reports. I'd usually get one done in a night and I tended to enjoy it. It was rewarding to finish each one and know you've given it a damn good go. I miss doing them, in a way. I could never be arsed getting started, that was the only problem.

JM

| 8,289 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 10:53 pm

How can you write 3000 words in a night though?

At best, i can normally write around 1000 decent words a day! Although, there are always numerous breaks for Deal or No Deal etc...

Motivation is always a big problem for me at University too, Martin. I think it's because there's nobody telling you what to do essentially and it's so much more informal.

Chris Kamara

| 24,049 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 10:58 pm

Chris Kamara -

3000 words in about 6 hours is generally no problem. I knew the degree inside out, and I knew all the subjects I had to write about. I'm a fast typer and I just got on with it. Fire up iTunes for some sounds, can of beer by my side, and before i know it it's all done. Then it's just a case of spending ten minutes tarting it up with the right line-spacing, typefaces and bolding, and then two print outs and jobs-a-good 'un.

I worked out after my degree finished that 12 of the 20 assignments had all been started and finished the night before. The other 8 were all project based and a lot more complicated than just a report, so it would have been impossible to do those as well.

Claire

| 15,814 posts

5th Dec 2007 at 11:40 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

I can write 1000 words in a few hours...last year that got me a few firsts but I doubt it's gonna cut it this year.

So far, after 8 weeks of my second year, I have a 1000 word essay in next week and so far, one 2500 word essay to do over Christmas with a further two 2500 word essays possible plus a half hour soap script. I'm not sure if I win or lose.
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

6th Dec 2007 at 12:34 am

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

I haven't had to write any essays so far this year. I've just got to fire some microwaves at some wax really. And know many many derivations.

wombat

| 8,154 posts

6th Dec 2007 at 1:01 am

wombat - Technically sexy.

Technically sexy.

I tend to let my deadlines lump up.

I know I'm in trouble when my mindset is "okay, you can write the essay all day long, and whenever you need a break, you can do the required reading as a relaxant."

This theory has never, ever come to frutation.
Southern hemispherical rat boy

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

6th Dec 2007 at 1:02 am

Get your Antlers on

Quote: Hans_Gruber
3000 words in about 6 hours is generally no problem. I knew the degree inside out, and I knew all the subjects I had to write about. I'm a fast typer and I just got on with it. Fire up iTunes for some sounds, can of beer by my side, and before i know it it's all done. Then it's just a case of spending ten minutes tarting it up with the right line-spacing, typefaces and bolding, and then two print outs and jobs-a-good 'un.

I worked out after my degree finished that 12 of the 20 assignments had all been started and finished the night before. The other 8 were all project based and a lot more complicated than just a report, so it would have been impossible to do those as well.

I wish I had that ability to sit down and just write for six hours... I can do a 1600 word essay in an afternoon, but the whole process tends to take about a week because those 1600 words are generally crap so I have to edit and re-edit and re-edit. And Facebook tends to get in the way. Goddam that website- when I have no work to do there's nothing on it that interests me, but as soon as essays get set it becomes the most fascinating place in the world...

I was planning to do all my research for Marlowe tonight. I have written half a page of notes. Anyone want to tell me how his identity (which apparently both countenanced and denounced) came from his rehearsal of the counter-positions of society allowed in the Elizabethan theatre? You did so well on George Bush Sr...

Maybe we should just all try and follow the advise of one of my lecturers: get drunk and write them at 3am, then just make sure you proof-read. Apparently that's when ground-breaking thoughts come through...
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

6th Dec 2007 at 2:47 pm

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

On a good day i can do a 1000 words in under half an hour, but i tend to either run out of things to say or get bored...
Never take life seriously.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

6th Dec 2007 at 3:45 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

It's not so much geeky, but i keep hearing about employers who think you haven't had a life at uni if you get a first and not employing you because of that.

It is really silly. I went to university because I really wanted to study.
I got a 1st in natural science and english literature. I was so proud! :-[

Quote: Hans_Gruber
I actually quite like doing big reports. Back on my degree I had to do a lot of 2 or 3 thousand word reports. I'd usually get one done in a night and I tended to enjoy it. It was rewarding to finish each one and know you've given it a damn good go. I miss doing them, in a way. I could never be arsed getting started, that was the only problem.

My dissertation project was about telepathy. It was really exciting and interesting, I think. I started 4 months early because I really wanted to do it. I really like studying (sad!). :-[
It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

leftthisplace28-12-07

| 2,740 posts

6th Dec 2007 at 3:47 pm

leftthisplace28-12-07 - Lord Sebastian Flyte.The one in white.

Lord Sebastian Flyte.The one in white.

It is wonderful to get firsts. Sod them (employers who think otherwise)
I haven't been manicial all these years I have been in love! It is the exact same dreadful feeling.

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

6th Dec 2007 at 3:48 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Quote: Little_Blue_Fox

I got a 1st in natural science and english literature. I was so proud!

as you should have been, that's awesome

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

6th Dec 2007 at 3:56 pm

Outside-left

[quote=Little_Blue_Fox link=1196784460/30#35 date=1196955904]Quote: JM

That's a top notch achievement there, David James. You'll know what i mean when i say, "Il Carborundum Illegitimi".

Topper

| 6,773 posts

6th Dec 2007 at 4:13 pm

Topper - Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

Dismantling a person is sometimes necessary...

I'm quite similar to Martain with the old essay business; I generally started them a day or two before deadline, having done the reading beforehand.

Obviously, in the final year, with my dissertation, that was far more involved and I had to do shed loads of reading with the actual writing taking months including re-writes etc.

I really miss not having that regular intellectual stimulation of writing essays and doing projects, even though deadlines were stressful. I may take a course next year, it'd be a nice new year's resolution to make, as long as I could do it around work.
I hope some day, for some reason, David Duchovny is investigated by the FBI. Because that would make a great story.

http://www.myspace.com/toppercutter

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

7th Dec 2007 at 3:30 pm

Get your Antlers on

Aah but uni essays are different to school ones because (theoretically) they're on subjects you're interested in so are much more interesting to write/research. It's just the forcing yourself away from the socialising/Facebook to make yourself write the essays that's the issue! (Or mine, anyway...)

Lucozade Lover

| 8,558 posts

8th Dec 2007 at 12:33 am

Lucozade Lover -

Yeah I remember that, Amy, hehehe.

That said I never was able to cram for hours. Found the best thing was to do say a ten point plan and number my notes where I wanted to quote from and use that as a skeleton, and take breaks every 45 mins- an hour for up to 2 and a half hours at most per day generally, if working on a written project.

JM

| 8,289 posts

9th Dec 2007 at 12:34 am

revising and working in short spells is always best i think. They always used to tell us that 25 minutes is the maximum time you can concentrate when revising at school and then you need a ten minute break. Well, it worked for me anyway...

And also only one more day of essaying and then home for christmas woop!

Jingle

| 4,578 posts

9th Dec 2007 at 10:56 am

Jingle - WOO-HAH!

WOO-HAH!

I find if I take breaks between revising - I find it really hard to go back to it. I basically have to start... and then only stop when I am REALLY hungry or thirsty or tired. I also find it easier to revise when I am tired. Don't know why.

JM

| 8,289 posts

9th Dec 2007 at 3:54 pm

I'm currently writing a conclusion having rattled 2000 words off of brilliance since 12pm today

I love it when you reach the 'nearly there' stage. I can almost taste the alcohol that will be touching my univeristy lips come tomorrow night

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

10th Dec 2007 at 1:27 am

I'm on my conclusion of a 2000 word essay. I started at 5pm today and have had lots of breaks. Go me. Although I had done all my planning and reading by thursday evening. I find it so hard to read and plan-that part can take me up to 5 days of solid work, yet once thats out of the way, it takes me about 5 hours of slow typing to get it all put up.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

10th Dec 2007 at 11:22 am

God, I can't take breaks at all, it just puts me off my stride. I can, when I'm on a roll and am feeling awesome*, do a good couple of thousand words in an couple of hours, but like Denesha says, it's the planning and the reading that takes up the time.

*What happens when I am feeling wretched is best not talked about

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

14th Dec 2007 at 11:29 am

Hope is important.

[quote=Valentino_Rossi link=1196784460/30#38 date=1196956568]Quote: Little_Blue_Fox

That's a top notch achievement there, David James. You'll know what i mean when i say, "Il Carborundum Illegitimi".

Oh my goodness - I have never studied Latin at-all. :-[
It is "diamond", maybe? - It is like, "fake carbon/illegitimate carbon"?
I am not sure! :-[

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

14th Dec 2007 at 11:33 am

Outside-left

[quote=Little_Blue_Fox link=1196784460/45#48 date=1197631742]Quote: Valentino_Rossi

"Nil Carborundum Illegitimi" translates to "Don't let the b*st*rds grind you down". Aimed at all those who would think that gaining a 1st isn't worthy of employment. I'd sooner take a 1st student with drive over some 'zany and outgoing' (pain in the a*se, basically) 2:2 student without direction.

Good on you, chap.

I'm doing Applied and Forensic Sciences at the moment myself, so i might be asking for some help if i'm ever stuck

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

14th Dec 2007 at 11:37 am

Hope is important.

[quote=Valentino_Rossi link=1196784460/45#49 date=1197631994]Quote: Little_Blue_Fox
Quote: Valentino_Rossi

"Nil Carborundum Illegitimi" translates to "Don't let the b*st*rds grind you down".  Aimed at all those who would think that gaining a 1st isn't worthy of employment.  I'd sooner take a 1st student with drive over some 'zany and outgoing' (pain in the a*se, basically) 2:2 student without direction.  

Good on you, chap.

I'm doing Applied and Forensic Sciences at the moment myself, so i might be asking for some help if i'm ever stuck  

Ok! Good luck for all your degree things.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: