A rant about the fur trade...

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 5:01 pm

Since a few people expressed an interest in this in another thread, here we go...

http://www.vivisection.info/ssat/furtrade.html

http://www.britishfur.co.uk/main/home

Both sides of the coin.

Fur farming was banned in Scotland in 2002, and England and Wales in 2003, but it is still legal to sell products made from imported fur. And sadly, it seems to be back in fashion

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=419557&in_page_id=1879&in_a_source

Quote:
Perhaps Beyonce should remember the words of the powerful black author Alice Walker: 'The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans, any more than black people were made for whites or women for men.'

A very nice quote.

Not quite sure though. I wouldn't say that animals are not made for humans, as I believe humans are designed to eat animals, in the same way that cats are designed to eat mice and lions are designed to eat antelope, or whatever. Nature gives us the right to do this. What it does not give us the right to do is abuse, torture and mass murder millions of animals for what? A f*cking coat.

Quote:
Let's look at the grisly facts of fur. Although every time I write an anti-fur piece I receive an admonishing letter from the British Fur Trade Association, it should be remembered that fox and mink and rabbit are, by nature, wild, shy creatures that become incredibly stressed in cages. Another horrible fact: more than two million cats and dogs are killed for their fur in China every year. Some still have their collars on when they are slaughtered — meaning they were once much-loved pets.

Quote:
In China, many of the animals are still alive when the workers hang them up by their hind legs to skin them. Cats are strangled within their cages while other cats look on, and dogs asphyxiated with metal wires. With no animal welfare considerations, the pelts produced are so cheap that China is now the biggest exporter of fur in the world.

Because, they are trying to produce as much fur as possible, for maximum money, humane shooting is not an option, especially for small animals, as the bullet hole means less skin. One of the favourite methods of killing is hanging (or asphyxiation), but whereas when hanging a human, in the countries where it is still legal, measurements tend to be taken, height weight etc, to ensure that death is quick and as pain free as possible, who is going to do this for the cats!?
The result is that they are often left half strangled, and as a result are skinned alive.

It's not like 1 animal killed = 1 coat either.

How many animals does it take to make a coat?
On Average…
21 - 45 coyote
18 - 54 lynx
45 - 135 possums
20 - 60 otters
42 – 126 foxes
40 – 120 raccoons
8 – 10 seals
60 – 180 mink

Of course this varies depending on..
Size of coat
Size of animal
Method of killing

It just makes me so sick. I wish it could stop. With faux fur looking just like the real thing, I really don't see the need for it. What does anyone think they are proving by wearing real fur, why is it impressive? I'd just love to know.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 6:16 pm

Quote: Smylz
On Average…
21 - 45 coyote
18 - 54 lynx
45 - 135 possums
20 - 60 otters
42 – 126 foxes
40 – 120 raccoons
8 – 10 seals
60 – 180 mink

That's because they're sh*t at sewing.

Edited by Albi The Racist Dragon Mar 2007
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 6:21 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

The coats are proper warm.

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 6:30 pm

Quote: Team_Forti
On Average…
21 - 45 coyote
18 - 54 lynx
45 - 135 possums
20 - 60 otters
42 – 126 foxes
40 – 120 raccoons
8 – 10 seals
60 – 180 mink

That's because they're slow workers.

Aye, of course there's no debate, hence rant

I try not to buy leather, and try to boycott companies or shops which use any kind of fur, but it's not easy. I've tried to become vegetarian as well, but always end up giving in.

Yes, we used to hunt for food and skin...but nowadays we do not need fur or leather. I still think humans should eat meat, but conditions need to be sorted out, it's the human race as a wholes arrogant opinion that they are superior and can do whatever they like to any species they like, because, y'know, Earth is there for the humans and all that. That's what p*sses me off.

Quote:
Wool
Most of the world's wool comes from Australia, where sheep undergo "mulesing," a gruesome mutilation in which large chunks of skin and flesh are cut from lambs' backsides without any painkillers. Each year, millions of sheep discarded by the Australian wool industry are crammed onto export ships to be sent to the Middle East. Sheep who survive the terrifying voyage are often dragged off trucks by their ears and legs, tied up, beaten, and have their throats slit while they are still conscious.

That's a new one.

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 10:32 pm

If I had to give just a penny to solve each problem in the world I'd owe the world over 4.3 trillion pounds (estimate).

at the end of the day, no-one can possibly care enough to be able to solve all the worlds problems, and in doing them you'd probably create more.

Chaos Theory in practice:

shut down all fur trade > hundreds of workers unemployed > less money in economy > potential recession.

shut down all fur trade > increased pressure to stop any and all non food animal things like animal testing > loss of jobs and potential recession.

Shut down all fur trade > shut down all animal use > more pressure on keeping Animals in good conditions > cost of all food goes up > inflation increases > potential recession.

see a pattern (admittedly were talking extremes here). solve one problem, two more appear. It's beyond the scope of humans to care about every issue in the world. If we did we'd all be aware of how bad the world is, how impossible it is to fix some of these problems, and humanity would lose hope.

In conclusion. I'm not for fur, but I aint against it. do as you please, free will and all that crap.
A Random Link
I don't give a f*ck you f*cking f*ck!

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 10:42 pm

Humans have f*cked up the planet beyond the point of repair. All problems, environmental and political, are never going to be solved.

You'd think differently if it was humans being subjected to this treatment though, am I right?

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 10:51 pm

Humans have f*cked up the planet beyond the point of repair. All problems, environmental and political, are never going to be solved.

Bad Gillian *smacks with rolled up newspaper*

I said, and I quote:Quote:
no-one can possibly care enough to be able to solve all the worlds problems, and in doing them you'd probably create more.
you could solve veryones problems, but more would come along eventually. It's impossible to create a perfect problem free world. Unless you want everyone to be an exact clone of everyone else. it's differences that make things interesting, and differences that cause arguments, tensions, and problems. If everyone was exactly the same we'd still be monkeys in trees.

You'd think differently if it was humans being subjected to this treatment though, am I right?

a "well" and a "duh". Survival instincts cause you to object to anything that threatens your well being and survival.
A Random Link

Quote:
You should try being me, I injure myself on an hourly basis in stupid and childish ways. I nearly gave myself a heart attack this morning when I stood on a glove.

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 10:58 pm

Quote: LOSERHEAD07

Bad Gillian *smacks with rolled up newspaper*

Tis the truth.

Quote:

you could solve everyones problems, but more would come along eventually. It's impossible to create a perfect problem free world. Unless you want everyone to be an exact clone of everyone else. it's differences that make things interesting, and differences that cause arguments, tensions, and problems. If everyone was exactly the same we'd still be monkeys in trees.

The world would be pretty much problem free without humans

Quote:

a "well" and a "duh". Survival instincts cause you to object to anything that threatens your well being and survival.

So you're one of the "human beings are superior to everything else because they are the most evolved" species? Not having a go, just wondering.

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 11:01 pm

nope, humans are scum like the rest of the planet. we all suck.

but think logically, no-one would want to be treated badly. Given the choice between eating and letting another animal live, almost everyone would kill it no question, and those that wouldn't either aren't capable/genuinely do wish there own deaths.
A Random Link

Quote:

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 11:09 pm

Quote: Adam_but_not_Joe
No-one sentient would know it exists

So?

Nothing else on the planet needs humans to survive, save domestic pets.

It wouldn't be any place to us without humans, but then we wouldn't be around so it wouldn't be a problem.

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 11:12 pm

note to humanity.

would all those who feel the world would be better without Humans please raise there hands.

now would all those people with there hands raised please kill themselves. Preferably in a way which will not effect the ecosystem, but is still amusing enough for the survivors to enjoy watching.

now how many people still have there hands raised?

(nothing personal Gillian, but surely with that attitude you should stop wating the oxygen which could easily keep a fish breathing, instead of being forced to live underwater)
A Random Link

Quote:

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 11:15 pm

Haha, my opinions on this matter are always unpopular.

Sorry, I've had a bad day.

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 11:21 pm

s'alright.

what's this argument number 9 million we've had either here or on MSN over this issue

and to comment on what Landa said, despite it being done before, this is the most active I've seen a topic for several days now.
A Random Link

Quote:

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 11:21 pm

Disclaimer: I do not think humans should be exterminated and I do not condone war of any kind, I just simply suggest they are sometimes delusional about how important they are

You have a cool name.

Quote:

s'alright.

In that case it's ok that you told me to go and commit suicide.

And it's hardly active, just a public msn argument

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 11:26 pm

More activity and interest in this thread over the last hour than anything on VR in the last week or so that I've seen though. sure not many posters, but lots of people reading.
A Random Link

Quote:

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 11:32 pm

Quote: Adam_but_not_Joe
However, to say they are uninmportant is to overlook everything humanity has achieved in its very short time on this earth.

Point taken

I just worry that the bad is going to outweigh the good and we're going to be responsible for the total destruction of a planet, in one way or another. And the lack of people who care or even recognise this annoys me. But what can ye do eh?

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

28th Feb 2007 at 11:36 pm

to repeat myself. people are to busy worrying anout trivial things like the destruction of the O-zone layer, and more important things like which celebs have the worst celulite.

you want it to be a big issue, do something to get the newspapers make it front page news. that's the only way to make a difference, get the press interested. once that's done it'll snowball for as long as the press care, then interest will fade again.
A Random Link

Quote:

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 1:11 am

On Average…
21 - 45 coyote
18 - 54 lynx
45 - 135 possums
20 - 60 otters
42 – 126 foxes
40 – 120 raccoons
8 – 10 seals
60 – 180 mink

That's because they're slow workers.

Boosh Misquote?

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 10:58 am

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

s'alright.

what's this argument number 9 million we've had either here or on MSN over this issue

and to comment on what Landa said, despite it being done before, this is the most active I've seen a topic for several days now.

i felt like what Landa said was a bit of a moot point. If she thought that the subject had been mentioned too many times, maybe she should've just ignored the thread.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 7:14 pm

Dissimulation -

Quote: Smashed_Strawberry

i felt like what Landa said was a bit of a moot point. If she thought that the subject had been mentioned too many times, maybe she should've just ignored the thread.

Oooh..'a moot point', hey? How very academical of you darling, bravo.

Talking of people who really should've "ignored the thread;" remind me, what exactly have you contributed to this discussion so far? I mean, apart from that b*st*rdised American mondegreen of a traditional English phrase.

Kudos for the intellectual stimulation though. Reading this was nearly as interesting as a conversation I had the other day with my testicles.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 7:42 pm

Dissimulation -

Nothing else on the planet needs humans to survive, save domestic pets.

Domestication is a product of human intervention, anyway.

I personally don't believe we should be killing animals solely for pointless fashion accessories, either to adorn our bodies, or our living rooms. Sure, once upon a time hunting animals for their skins and furs were essential to the survival of mankind, but in modern day western society, it is no longer a necessity.

Unfortunately, food is still very much essential and conscious choice aside, we're omnivorous creatures. Don't get me wrong, I would like nothing more than to eat free range and organic food products all the time, and know that no animals were badly mistreated in the process of lining my stomach, I just can't afford too.

The Man from Southampton

| 3,794 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 9:12 pm

equality, tolerance & logic

Fur. I was wondering if you were to have a fur farm or what ever you call it. Raise the animals until they die of old age. Will the fur be of any use or would it have aged too much?

Humans do evil and good in this world. Would like it to change so evil no longer exist, however not likely to happen. Reasons: Greed of money, power and material.
Now is that salary pre or post tax?

100% of Earth's population agrees with the following statement.

"Forces should be spending their time catching rapists and murders and not worry about piracy theft."

Lianne

| 9,643 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 9:57 pm

On Average…
21 - 45 coyote
18 - 54 lynx
45 - 135 possums
20 - 60 otters
42 – 126 foxes
40 – 120 raccoons
8 – 10 seals
60 – 180 mink

That's because they're sh*t at sewing.

well done

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 10:55 pm

Quote: Your_Mum

Talking of people who really should've "ignored the thread;" remind me, what exactly have you contributed to this discussion so far?

given an excuse to finally hear someone say

Reading this was nearly as interesting as a conversation I had the other day with my testicles.

Straws did have a point, if you don't want to have "the same old argument" don't bother to get involved. Although Landa summed up what I'm surprised hasn't yet been mentioned, in the pointless protesting of animal testing[/threadbait]; she didn't really have any need to post what was said.

either way both of you, as well as myself now, has gone off topic.
A Random Link

Quote:

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 11:06 pm

Domestication is a product of human intervention, anyway.

That was my point

Anyway, I was having a bad day yesterday, when I have a bad day I take it out on the human race and its flaws

I don't think all humans should be exterminated, just that they have false illusions about their importance. I'm not crazy, except on Wednesdays.

Quote:
Unfortunately, food is still very much essential and conscious choice aside, we're omnivorous creatures. Don't get me wrong, I would like nothing more than to eat free range and organic food products all the time, and know that no animals were badly mistreated in the process of lining my stomach, I just can't afford too.

Yes, ideally nobody should be forced to be vegetarian because of their beliefs. As the majority of vegetarians I know are not against the principal of eating animals as they accept the human body is designed to do so, they do not eat meat as a sign that they disagree with cruelty. If there was no cruelty, they would not feel guilty about eating meat.

But that's in an ideal world, before you start That Thing.

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 11:17 pm

Yes, ideally nobody should be forced to be vegetarian because of their beliefs. As the majority of vegetarians I know are not against the principal of eating animals as they accept the human body is designed to do so, they do not eat meat as a sign that they disagree with cruelty. If there was no cruelty, they would not feel guilty about eating meat.

yes but...

Quote:
But that's in an ideal world, before you start That Thing.

... if I may finish regardless how you look at it, your ending a life just to eat. Even in this "supposed" ideal world, things would still die before they would if nothing ate animals, even if it were a quick and painless (as painless as death can be) death. They'd probably still feel guilty for being the reason an animal had to die sooner than it should've such is the patheticness of vegetarians as that'd be considerred wrong too.

Now I'll let Gillian argue that Vegetarians don't mind if nothing suffers.
A Random Link

Quote:

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 11:34 pm

. such is the patheticness of vegetarians as that'd be considerred wrong too.

Now you're just offending folk.

Obviously some vegetarians are vegetarians because they don't like killing pretty little animals in principle, even if they were all put up in a 5 star hotel and given a painless lethal injection as means of death. There are extremists.

People become vegetarian for different reasons, you cannot label them all "pathetic" for standing up for their beliefs. If it was so pathetic, why would so many people do it?

But the majority of vegetarians I know by no means every single one on the planet would eat meat if they knew the animal had been killed in what they would consider a humane way. Since this is impossible, they do not eat it. Voilá.

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 11:48 pm

if I may say two things 1) that was a joke. 2) you quoted yourself as having said what I said

seems hypocritical to me to say you'd eat meat if you could guarantee it wasnt hurt when you stopped it from living.
A Random Link

Quote:

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 11:51 pm

Gah.
1. Your jokes wind me up
2. The quote within quote thing confuses me.

And naw, guaranteeing it wasn't hurt isn't possible, but killing in a humane way with the least amount of pain possible is.

:-*

Dr Namgge

| 14,541 posts

1st Mar 2007 at 11:57 pm

err, but if your a vegetarian because you're opposed to pain and animals sufferring you'd be a total pacifist and refuse to let anything die for any reason. just seems daft to me to think it's okay to hurt something for food because your not hurting it as much as you possibly could if you were opposed to hurting things.

in anycase the point of this post was "I have the opposite stance to you in this argument Gillian"

:-*
A Random Link

Quote:

Organised Confusion

| 3,982 posts

2nd Mar 2007 at 12:05 am

Nothing's ever as clear cut as you'd like it to be.

In my opinion: Us killing animals for food is acceptable. Yes it might hurt them, but we shouldn't deprive our bodies of meat. Just as a lion doesn't torture an antelope any more than it has to in order to catch and kill it, we should do this killing with the minimum of pain and suffering.

Anyway, I'm never going to convert you, so goodnight.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

2nd Mar 2007 at 10:46 am

River Phoenix

Quote: Anastasia_Beaverhausen

Talking of people who really should've "ignored the thread;" remind me, what exactly have you contributed to this discussion so far?

given an excuse to finally hear someone say

Reading this was nearly as interesting as a conversation I had the other day with my testicles.

Straws did have a point, if you don't want to have "the same old argument" don't bother to get involved. Although Landa summed up what I'm surprised hasn't yet been mentioned, in the pointless protesting of animal testing[/threadbait]; she didn't really have any need to post what was said.

either way both of you, as well as myself now, has gone off topic.

Just a little something I'd like to add here and will probably be told off for but *shrugs* Straws, there's no need to b*tch every time I say something you don't like. Particularly as you never have anything constructive to say about my comments, just that I shouldn't make them. I come off as brash at times, but most people know there's more to me than my short posts. I'm quite capable of making very long posts, full of valid points and reasoning. My post pointed out that the topic has been done before. If I'd posted "Lame" and that was it, then yeah, that would have been flaming. What I did was none of that and if you notice, I gave my opinion as well in my post.

Now get laid, get a job, get a life and stop nit-picking every time I say something you disagree with.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the reason why humans are just as mindless as animals.

(i don't think i was nit-picking. If you want to label me, that is your problem. Whether or not i have s*x is none of your business. As i've told you before, i don't work because i'm disabled. i have a life... but perhaps you think that anyone who dares to criticise you is inferior. There is no need to call me names.)

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

2nd Mar 2007 at 11:25 am

Dissimulation -

but perhaps you think that anyone who dares to criticise you is inferior. There is no need to call me names.)

It seems as if you're trying to put words into her mouth there for the sake of an arguement. From what I've read, Landa never implied that she thinks anyone who criticises her is inferior and she certainly hasn't called you any names.

Not only this, but you haven't offered forward any opinions relevant to this thread, just merely had a dig someone else for posting in it. Sad.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

2nd Mar 2007 at 11:33 am

River Phoenix

As far as i am concerned, being referred to as mindless is being called names.

i'm against fur; partly because i think it's cruel, partly because i think it isn't necessary. i feel similar about leather, so i don't wear leather & i buy my shoes from Vegetarian Shoes.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

2nd Mar 2007 at 11:40 am

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

As far as i am concerned, being referred to as mindless is being called names.

Nah, it's just a way of saying that no thought has been put into what was said.

(btw, i haven't read anything in this thread past my first post, but that is what i would think about someone saying something i'd posted was 'mindless')

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page