Extreme weight gain

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Snazzberry

| 2,526 posts

15th Feb 2007 at 4:19 am

Snazzberry - i r lion. i r bite you.

i r lion. i r bite you.

You are not repulsive, let me repeat YOU ARE NOT REPULSIVE. however i understand why you feel like you are. My metabolism isnt going to hold out much longer and the way i eat i'll be lucky to only gain a couple stone when it gives out. you should feel good about yourself for healthy eating habits, because thats really great. its also really good you're not relying on bulimia because that's really bad and harmful for you i have no words of advice because all i've done for the past couple of years is gain, but i hear you and i understand you.
[quote author=the doc link=1161728632/360#370 date=1193262367]If i wanna scratch me balls i use a hedgehog like everyone else.[/quote]

JTP

| 32 posts

15th Feb 2007 at 9:39 am

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Weight gain is a common symptom in PCOS, with 4 in 10 sufferers being overweight. It's thought to be due to insulin resistance, where corresponding high levels of insulin produce weight gain. There's no simple cure for this weight gain, a diet and regular exercise are usually recommended.

In addition, some of the drugs used to treat bipolar disorder can cause weight gain. Lithium in itself isn't known to cause weight gain (I think) but it can interfere with thyroid function - you can have a thyroid function test to rule out hypothyroidism - a common cause of weight gain. There are some drugs which are sometimes used for mania which are notorious for causing weight gain and diabetes, particularly Olanzapine and other atypical antisychotics. It's worth having regular blood tests for diabetes and anaemia, although I'm sure you have regular blood tests with the lithium.

Now, there are some medications which are given to overweight diabetics. They are quite new and expensive and I don't know the guidelines off hand, but Orlistat is one of them and Rib-something-or-other and they reduce the amount of fat absorbed by the gut. They're available, but as I say, I don't know the guidelines, and I think I remember the drug reps saying they can cause depression so would be contra-indicated in this case.

Hope that helps a little, although you have my sympathies.

JTP

| 32 posts

15th Feb 2007 at 10:28 am

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

Rimonabant, now that's the anti-cannabinoid one, isn't it? It basically has the opposite effect of cannabis - so anorexia (vs food craving) and depression (vs mental high).

Snowflake

| 11,898 posts

15th Feb 2007 at 11:25 am

Snowflake - Lady Lobschter

Lady Lobschter

Quote: Completely_Underwhelmed
yep, apparently the most advanced endocannabinoid receptor antagonist in clinical development! (according to http://www.drugdevelopment-technology.com/projects/rimonabant/)

which means that it probably screws around far too much with the central nervous system for anyone on other medication to take

*nods*

Xenecal (Orlistat) is what's normally prescribed.

I'm yet to study if it works or not.
self-confessed spamaholic

about as useful as trying to put the pin back in the grenade

Me and Matt - King and Queen lobster spam team!!

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

19th Feb 2007 at 8:36 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

With regards to exercise, maybe find a sport that you and a friend want to do together. I've never kept at anything sporty when I've joined up to it on my own, but now a group of four of us go kickboxing and the fact that other people are going too means you feel like a bum if you don't go, so you feel more motivated to do it. I know you say you're sleepy, but it's the getting there that's the hard part and once you're there the doing stuff really wakes you up, or so I've found. Maybe try with one of the less intense ones first and see how you manage? That's the only thing I can think of, really...
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page