Relationship Problems

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Opiate Love

| 1 posts

15th Jan 2007 at 12:52 pm

VR kicks ass!

I've been in a long distance relationship with a girl for a few months now. I really like her and things are getting serious between us. The only problem is that we argue about silly things. Really silly things. Like how much to spend on a holiday. It just seems that small things turn into massive arguments.

Whenever I try to bring things up with her, she gets angry or upset, tells me to f*ck off, and generally makes me feel bad because I've upset her so I go along with whatever she says. I know this isn't healthy at all, but for her to be happy, I have to do as she wants. Most of the time I do agree with her and want to do the same things so it's not a massive conflict of interests, but on the times where we don't see eye to eye, it turns into a huge fight over something really tiny because all these little arguments build up.

There's also the element of her suffering from depression which she won't be treated for because she hates the idea of medication, because of the side effects, and the possibility that having the condition on her medical records will stop her from being able to apply for certain jobs that she wants to do. One minute she's on a high, the next she comes crashing down which also causes difficulties with arguments. Again, I can't talk to her about this because I get the same response that I've ruined her good mood and she'll thrown a tantrum.

I don't see her as often as I'd like and it's hard to talk about any of this with her over MSN or email because I know she'll just read it and delete it. I know it's something that I have to deal with in person but I just don't know how to go about it and I'm scared of losing her.

Any ideas, anyone?

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

15th Jan 2007 at 1:29 pm

Jewbacca -

you seem to be under the impression that we are some kind of agony aunt website, when in actual fact we are a dating website.

i suppose you could put your concerns in writing and state 'please reply, this is important'. if she fails to reply you could refuse to talk about other things until you sort this out. because you cant build a house on shoddy foundations. not sure if thats the best advice, but you cant ignore the issue. oo! you could take her out to dinner one night, and bring it up then. hopefully she will be so pleased with you for being a good little boyfriend that she will not risk losing you by arguing or walking out. although it may be a problem long distance...
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Gary

| 3,774 posts

15th Jan 2007 at 1:38 pm

Gary - I is not evil.

I is not evil.

Quote: Opiate_Love
I know this isn't healthy at all, but for her to be happy, I have to do as she wants.

That's not a relationship.

You need to be able to talk to each other. It's a nice idea to sacrifice your own happiness for hers, but if that carries on then things won't last long. You'll need to find some way of making this clear to her and tell her how important this is. The depression doesn't help and of course you should be doing anything you can to try and help her get over it, but if she's acting like how you say she is then it'll probably end up with you being depressed :p.

It sounds like this is a thing between you and her that no-one else can help with. Try to just act as calm as you can around her, and as soon as an argument starts keep the same level tone of voice no matter what. Make it clear that it's a two way thing and try and meet each other half way at times where this is possible.

If you're worried about spoiling her happy mood by bringing things up, how about writing it down as a letter and getting her to read it? Stress that it's important, but that she's to read it when she's ready. You say it's long distance, so you not being around whilst she's reading it could be a good thing as it'll give her chance to think. Arguments tend to involve interrupting people just a they're about to make their point and say something important - she can't do that with a letter.

Basically - be supportive, but point out as nicely as you can that it's a two way thing and that you need to be supported too. Relationships are supposed to be equal in as many ways as possible. Two hearts living in one mind and all that, to quote the great Phil Collins. Thing is, the "one mind" is supposed to be the combined mind of both of you, not just hers .

Tell her how you feel, about the situation and about her. Make it clear how much you care for her, but let her know that you both need to be happy.
[http://imagegen.last.fm/Apnet/recenttracks/3/se_osiris.gif]

I like an escalator because an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator temporarily out of order" sign, only an "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience."
- Mitch Hedberg

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

15th Jan 2007 at 2:09 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

That sounds more like a dictatorship than a relationship.

She obviously has massive emotional baggage and is taking it out on you whether she intends to or not. As for the money on a holiday thing...is there things you're not considering? Has she/is she in/been in debt and did that process of getting in and out take it out of her?

Is she Bipolar? A good friend of mine that can be found on these very pages experiences these great highs and crashing lows. If you can sit her down one day, maybe with one/both of her parent(s) or something, and explain everything that she is doing and how is affecting you and your relationship?

The 'secret' (common sense) to a successful relationship is total compromise and at the moment yours does not even have anything like that. On the other hand, do you see this relationship going anywhere? Do you have it in you to go through what's going to be a really rocky road? Does it really mean that much to you? Answer these questions within yourself and you're journey will begin.

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

15th Jan 2007 at 2:47 pm

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

Quote: Marton
you seem to be under the impression that we are some kind of agony aunt website, when in actual fact we are a dating website.

Dating website my a*se!
Never take life seriously.

Will

| 6,984 posts

15th Jan 2007 at 6:32 pm

Quote: Opiate_Love
I've been in a long distance relationship with a girl for a few months now. I really like her and things are getting serious between us. The only problem is that we argue about silly things. Really silly things. Like how much to spend on a holiday. It just seems that small things turn into massive arguments.

Ugh; that sounds all too familiar...

I have no helpful and/or sarcastic advice, by the way - don't look at me...

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

15th Jan 2007 at 6:35 pm

Quote: Surfer_Rosa
from a girl who has been in a ldr

You know, I thought you said dlr, and I was going to say I've been on the Docklands Light Railway too, and it was odd.

But you didn't, and my piece is said.

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

15th Jan 2007 at 8:13 pm

Having just been released from a long distance relationship, I can pretty much say that they are horrendous when they go sour.
The main problem with my relationship was that there was a distinct lack of communication/effort on his part and a distinct lack of understanding on my part. Those things combined meant that it was hard for us to 'get' each other the way we used to.
She needs you right now but she's also taking you for granted.You need to be there for her, but *TALK* to her about what you need. If she can't compromise, then you shouldn't be in this relationship.If you really love her, you'd fight for this, but it has to be a fight on both parts.

Gary

| 3,774 posts

15th Jan 2007 at 8:42 pm

Gary - I is not evil.

I is not evil.

Quote: The_Real_Slim_Shady
I'm the same as your girlfriend. She prolly doesn't exactly feel great about how she treats you either. Thing is, it's hard not to behave like that when you are in that situation. Oh and the bitchiness and fighting is her trying tp push you away cos she doesn't feel she deserves you.

I didn't mention it before, but I had a little bit of déjà vu slapping me in the face when I first read this.

The pushing away thing though - if that's what she's doing then it's still a communication problem. If she wants out of the relationship then she should say so and explain why. Truthfully. And if it's just insecurity then she should explain about that too. If she can't then there's major trust issues and it sounds like that could be part of the problem.

If she's prepared to talk, and talk openly and honestly without trying to take the easy way out and throw you a truckload of petty excuses, then things can be sorted. Trust needs to be built up, but that can't happen unless you actually both talk and let each other know what's going on.

Don't just sit back and hope things will sort themselves out, because chances are they either won't or they'll get worse. I'm not saying to rush anything, but it sounds like communication needs to be improved no matter what's going on. If you're determined then let her know you're there no matter what. If she clams up and still pushes you away then, like Caggie said, you need to choose whether to put up with it or move on.

I like an escalator because an escalator can never break, it can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator temporarily out of order" sign, only an "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience."
- Mitch Hedberg

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

16th Jan 2007 at 2:18 am

Cut and run. There's much better people to worry about.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

16th Jan 2007 at 12:57 pm

Dissimulation -

Arguements over holdiday costs..you should be a fly on the wall in my brain.

Just the other day, an innocent trip to burger king ended up with me threatening to burn my own flat out over whether or not I should go large on my bacon double cheese burger meal.

I think part of me was already angry that I didn't order a chicken royal, or even walk the extra 500 yards down town to subway and it escalated from there.

All this only weeks after a trip to morrisons accumalated in a full scaled punch up with myself in the bread aisle.

Christ.

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

16th Jan 2007 at 1:36 pm

Dissimulation -

You shop in Tesco's so me thinks you are making it up :p

I get arsey over the tiniest decisions like that though. Supermarket shopping is not a fun experience with me.

Especially with my repeated rants at other customers who have pushed me/shoved their trolley over my toes/let their brats annoy me...

My flat is next to tesco, but morrisons is only an eight minute walk away, too.
I still made it up though..it was really at the cheese counter. I caught myself ordering mexicana when all I really wanted was a nice piece of cathedral cheddar. I soon taught myself not to make that mistake again buy repeatedly slamming my head into the sneeze guard.

They then offered to give me both cheeses for free if I quietly left the supermarket. Every cloud and all that..

Dissimulation

| 5,671 posts

16th Jan 2007 at 1:44 pm

Dissimulation -

Just the other day, in fact - with my homies, Lars Ulrich and Cameron Diaz.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

17th Jan 2007 at 9:06 pm

Wow.

What compassion you show Joel...

I've seen enough people getting hurt by staying in emotionally abusive relationships to know when to cut and run. Not everyone deserves repeated chances.
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Colin

| 10,038 posts

19th Jan 2007 at 7:27 am

Colin -

The creator of this topic hasn't been online since that post. I'm glad to know we really made a difference
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

19th Jan 2007 at 6:00 pm

Outside-left

Quote: Hollowness_May_Calm_It
The creator of this topic hasn't been online since that post. I'm glad to know we really made a difference

that's because it's more than likely to be someone on here in the first place.

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

19th Jan 2007 at 6:03 pm

Jewbacca -

It was me :-[

And I gave advice to myself to confuse you all.

not really

Colin

| 10,038 posts

20th Jan 2007 at 7:39 am

Colin -

Shortlist of those with same birthday
I think it's the winky guy.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

20th Jan 2007 at 5:54 pm

Outside-left

I doubt they'd put the same birthday. I didn't when i used an alter-ego for a few months once

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

20th Jan 2007 at 6:54 pm

Jewbacca -

I dont think we should try and find out who it is, they obviously wanted to remain anonymous.

Gary

| 3,774 posts

20th Jan 2007 at 6:55 pm

Gary - I is not evil.

I is not evil.

It's hard to respect your wishes when you've already confessed.

Poor Amie

- Mitch Hedberg

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

20th Jan 2007 at 7:05 pm

Jewbacca -

lol

amie isnt that bad. in fact she's quite great. mostly.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

20th Jan 2007 at 8:01 pm

Colin -

I was just kidding with the winky guy part, I respect their anonymity.

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

20th Jan 2007 at 8:29 pm

Quote: Radical_Edward
Is it not possible that the person merely lied about their date of birth to help protect themselves? Stop prying into something that you are obviously not wanted to know about beyond the situation.

Well, OBVIOUSLY it's Darren.

Jewbacca

| 6,793 posts

20th Jan 2007 at 8:30 pm

Jewbacca -

Quote: Satans_Little_Helper
Quote: Radical_Edward
Is it not possible that the person merely lied about their date of birth to help protect themselves? Stop prying into something that you are obviously not wanted to know about beyond the situation.

Well, OBVIOUSLY it's Darren.

Maybe it's YOU! Changing your birthday and sex to fool us, you tricksy hobbit.

Mark Brogan

| 7,648 posts

20th Jan 2007 at 8:32 pm

Fine, it was me. I'm a gay, everyone.

Man, it feeeeeeeeeels good to be out.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page