*M*O*A*N*

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

Alpaca

| 5,875 posts

5th Nov 2002 at 10:32 am

Alpaca -

burnt food - eurgh

no but seriously!....

i wanna moan about people who rely on buying and wearing certain clothes to try too hard to construct themselves.

take some of those annoying american punk bands, or even the manufactured artists that think that if they wear an old skool ac/dc t shirt that theyre instantly rockers and are 'hard'. do you remeber when they sold these sorts of t sh*ts in new look/ top shop/ etc about 2 years ago?

also paying

Animal

| 32,547 posts

5th Nov 2002 at 10:38 am

Animal -

normally id agree with you but for the sake of arguement alone i wont, now you say by buying braded clothes you are doing it only to present yourself to the world in a certain light, you realise the ludicrosity(oooh new word) of this, i mean heaven forbid people buy clothes from the GAP because they like them or because you generally tend to get what you pay for, ive lost count of the amount of cheap tops and pants etc that have come apart at the seams within a week of buying them where as the few branded clothe i have tend to last me years, besides which, look at Vans at one point in time they were a company that no one except for a few skaters etc knew of then all of a sudden due to the explosion of that scene popularity they became popular fast, are you saying Vans are bad now because everybody has them?

i say there is nothing wrong with buying branded clothes in the mainstay, if you like what you wear then i see no problem with it.

like i said this is mostly for the sake of arguement, for the most part i "antibrand" the few minastream branded tops etc i own now have a large indelliable black marker pen dotting out the logo
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Sam_Wells

| 0 posts

5th Nov 2002 at 10:53 am

True, I wear Vans, have done for a while now, but I hanv't began to hate them just because everyone wears them now. Vans make longlasteing (unless you skate in them) and comfy trainers. Why change?

Animal

| 32,547 posts

5th Nov 2002 at 11:06 am

Animal -

exactly my point, bear in mind all these huge multinational companies like addidas and tommy hilfiger and the likes didnt start out this way, thats an impossibility, they all started out as small companies making few clothes and little money so to have lasted as long as they have and be making the mony they are to me says something about the clothes, now surely that kind of quality is worth paying a bit more for, ok i agree

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Alpaca

| 5,875 posts

5th Nov 2002 at 12:10 pm

Alpaca -

Quote: Sammy_Davis_Jr_

i say there is nothing wrong with buying branded clothes in the mainstay, if you like what you wear then i see no problem with it.

thats what i mean - if the brand is 'who you are' then theres nothing wrong with that - its just at before i left school i was picked on because i didnt wear these brands - im not going to wear nike to be accepted. but if the brand is who you are, then go for it.

i dont think vans are bad, i think theyre cool, despite perhaps 'selling out' i had a pair that lasted a good few years - theyre still in great condition but my feet are now too big .

Animal

| 32,547 posts

5th Nov 2002 at 12:12 pm

Animal -

Quote: funk_mcmanus_the_frock_muppet_

thats what i mean - if the brand is 'who you are' then theres nothing wrong with that - its just at before i left school i was picked on because i didnt wear these brands - im not going to wear nike to be accepted. but if thats who you are, then go for it.

a brand CANT be who you are, you miss what im saying, the clothes make not the person, the person makes the clothes...

Cycling Antics

Alpaca

| 5,875 posts

5th Nov 2002 at 12:16 pm

Alpaca -

Quote: Lion_el_Johnson_

a brand CANT be who you are, you miss what im saying, the clothes make not the person, the person makes the clothes...

it can in a way - they can create an identity and certain associations - o'neals (spelt wrongly i know) is what surfers wear - there are people at my college that wear that brand when theyve never surfed in their life just because they like the image.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

5th Nov 2002 at 12:22 pm

Animal -

i know what your saying but thats not what im trying to say, i cant think of another way to get the point across to you though *sighs* maybe you'll work it out, ach im gonna go play play black and white anywho, its fun being a god!

Cycling Antics

Alpaca

| 5,875 posts

5th Nov 2002 at 12:26 pm

Alpaca -

i think its more the perception of the 'brand' (and not the physical clothing itself) that is created through mass media - we are told that these brands are cool and also the exsclusiveness of it creates hype - its expensive and isnt that accessible for people who cant afford it.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page