Ranty ranty rant rant.

Posted In: Rants. Reading This Thread:

satansrubberduck

| 7,520 posts

14th Aug 2002 at 8:18 pm

OK, now this rant may or may not cause me to get hated for life on here. But it has bugged me for a while.

Discrimination.

Diamond (the car insurance people). They are only for woman. If a company started that was only for men, it would get hounded out of existance. Now, this strikes me as unfair, yes??

The MOBO awards. (Music of Black Origin) If it was MOWO, it'd get banned because it would be racist. Again with the unfairness.

Your thoughts, VR??

SRD

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

14th Aug 2002 at 10:33 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

YAY, someone who finallythinks this too! it is discrimination, 100% same as if it is the other way around. same with race-related violence, I heard on the Tonight programme about "the shocking new trend of reverse-racism" why is it reverse if a black person beats up a white person because of the colour of theirs skin? nothing reverse about it.

The MOBO awards as such, aren't as bad, it not restricted to black people, just music of black origin, MOWO awards would be shoddy because you'd have stuff like folk music, and morris dancing music etc. lol

secluded_rainbow

| 843 posts

15th Aug 2002 at 7:59 pm

I need a decent picture!!

hmmmmm too right!!

what annoys me is when they say people from ethnic minorities it should be made easier for them to get certain jobs as they are underrepresented in certain careers, the person who gets the job should be the person best qualified, and it should be equal for everyone.

Also old people why should I give up my seat on the bus, when they only pay half fare!!!

And little kids at museams always playing on all the fun things and never let anyone else have a go!!!!

going slightly off topic now methinks!

Animal

| 32,547 posts

15th Aug 2002 at 10:28 pm

Animal -

i concur

womens rights movements take things too far for starters, we are becoming an over equal society

look at it this way say a man sexually abuses a women, be it a sexual slur in the work place or something worse(im NOT talking about rape it is a totally different subject) he would get shat on by the courts and police, but reverse it and the will man NOT go to the police, more from embaressment about it, but if he did he would be laughed out of court
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

uponthetelegram

| 0 posts

16th Aug 2002 at 3:45 pm

Too right.

Just LOVE people, and everyone is equal.

Will

| 6,984 posts

16th Aug 2002 at 5:25 pm

hmmm you're going love mad

satansrubberduck

| 7,520 posts

16th Aug 2002 at 9:52 pm

Quote: girlpants_
look at it this way say a man sexually abuses a women, be it a sexual slur in the work place or something worse(im NOT talking about rape it is a totally different subject) he would get shat on by the courts and police, but reverse it and the will man NOT go to the police, more from embaressment about it, but if he did he would be laughed out of court

I know, helplines are all for woman who are being abused/assaulted/annoyed/any other stuff I've missed. But there's b*gger all for men. And while some men are wimps (moi probably when older), some woman can be pretty scary and dominating! (Not in a good way.) So tis not fair.

Satan's Rubber Duck

Will

| 6,984 posts

17th Aug 2002 at 6:13 pm

yeah! more sex lines for men!

secluded_rainbow

| 843 posts

17th Aug 2002 at 6:29 pm

I need a decent picture!!

I can see where you are coming from on the sexual harassment stuff of course men can be sexually harassed and stuff, but i do think that stuff affects women more, as men are a lot bigger and more threatening looking, and woman are quite vunerable, so can feel genuinely scared, whereas a man would probably just get annoyed.

Will

| 6,984 posts

17th Aug 2002 at 6:36 pm

men will either get annoyed and tell who ever is doing it to p*ss off, or enjoy it. I dont think the lines will be of much use.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

17th Aug 2002 at 11:52 pm

Animal -

Quote: secluded_rainbow_
I can see where you are coming from on the sexual harassment stuff of course men can be sexually harassed and stuff, but i do think that stuff affects women more, as men are a lot bigger and more threatening looking, and woman are quite vunerable, so can feel genuinely scared, whereas a man would probably just get annoyed.
either way it IS STILL sexual harrasment, an if women want equality they should accept that men can be just as upset as women over this, like me for example, my boss at the bar i work at keeps feeling my a*se and such when we are working, but making it seem non deliberate, i find it highly unerving
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Claire

| 15,814 posts

22nd Aug 2002 at 8:08 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

Quote: Satans_Rubber_Duck_

I know, helplines are all for woman who are being abused/assaulted/annoyed/any other stuff I've missed. But there's b*gger all for men. And while some men are wimps (moi probably when older), some woman can be pretty scary and dominating! (Not in a good way.) So tis not fair.

Satan's Rubber Duck

There are helplines and stuff out there for blokes, just not as many cos not as many men tend to get raped. And the ones that are out there are less publicised. You've just gotta find em.
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

22nd Aug 2002 at 8:53 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Male rape is far more common thatn you may think. one in 6 of all reported rapes are done on men, and the reporting rate is estimated to be half that of the womens reporting rate, which is already pretty low.

Been training dogs

| 4,685 posts

24th Aug 2002 at 7:44 pm

What about the Emmas? (ethnic multicultural media awards)

And "positive discrimination" which is why you have to put down your race on application forms for jobs?
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

http://www.cco.net/~jpete/deepthou.htm

Ms Jane Lane

| 1,064 posts

24th Aug 2002 at 7:48 pm

I'm thirsty

Then there's "tokenism", which is just insulting to all involved.
Signatures are for losers

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

24th Aug 2002 at 7:55 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote:

And "positive discrimination" which is why you have to put down your race on application forms for jobs?

that's a total oxymoron, how can discrimination be positive? it ridiculous, if no people from "ethnic minorities" want that job, well let it be! they'll get whatever job they want. if they want that particular job, they can be the best candidate on merit.

Also, how would it make you feel if you knew you got your job not because of your sklls and expertise, but because of your ethnic background, can't be very nice...

satansrubberduck

| 7,520 posts

24th Aug 2002 at 8:01 pm

And another one (ye can thank my English teacher for this one): the AA advert, with the woman asking if she's insured coz her hubby's putting up shelves.

Not all men are bad at DIY!!! And only certain aspects of DIY at that....

Satan's Rubber Duck

Been training dogs

| 4,685 posts

24th Aug 2002 at 8:25 pm

Btw I was having a go at the emmas and positive discrimination, not saying theyre a good thing.
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

http://www.cco.net/~jpete/deepthou.htm

LoonyPandora

| 17,916 posts

24th Aug 2002 at 9:06 pm

LoonyPandora - Daft Cow?

Daft Cow?

Quote:
btw I was having a go at the emmas and positive discrimination, not saying theyre a good thing.

yeah I know, I was agreeing with you and expanding on your point. soz if it seemeddifferent :-X

Claire

| 15,814 posts

31st Aug 2002 at 2:42 pm

Claire - Darren is most certainly not my god!

Darren is most certainly not my god!

Quote: LoonyPandora_
Male rape is far more common thatn you may think. one in 6 of all reported rapes are done on men, and the reporting rate is estimated to be half that of the womens reporting rate, which is already pretty low.

Sorry to be so belated with my reply to this, I forgot about it. I wasn't saying that Male rapes are uncommon, just that they are less publicised.

Quote:
Not all men are bad at DIY!!! And only certain aspects of DIY at that....

Nope, but they are portrayed as being bad at it cos they tend to do it more than women. If they did the same as women, chances are women would get seen that way too. I for one am VERY crap at DIY.
Coloured Lilac And Insults Rarely E(Anymore)

Quote: Claire, Jun 2005
Basically, I'm just mangling and regurgitating what everyone's already said.

I’m really glad that the quote in my signature is a teenager.
Joint best Mod 2009. Officials.

Winner of most longstanding mod in the history of the internet. Or at least most resillient/lifelacking VR staff member 2012.

The Underwhelmed One

| 7,111 posts

6th Sept 2002 at 7:29 pm

Edited by The Underwhelmed One Sept 2014
I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page