2000 to 2009.

Posted In: Music. Reading This Thread:

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

14th Oct 2009 at 12:12 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Who were all your bestest bands and albums and songs in the Noughties?
Which bands do you think defined the decade?
Do you think it was a good decade about music at-all?
Do you think the internet and downloads are really good and helpful for music at-all?

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

14th Oct 2009 at 3:21 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Who were all your bestest bands and albums and songs in the Noughties?
Bands -
The Libertines - Up The Bracket
At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command
The Music - The Music
The Mars Volta - DeLoused in the Comatorium
Kings of Leon - Aha Shake Heartbreak

(i could write a massive list for this, but I'm going to leave it there for lengths sake)

Which bands do you think defined the decade?
The Libertines. The amount of sh*te wannabe bands that have come from their sound/success has dwarfed the number of Nirvana/Pearl Jam clones in the mid to late 1990's.

Do you think it was a good decade about music at-all?
Continuing what Stu said, there's equal parts good and bad in every decade if you can be bothered to look for it. I think 'mainstream' music this decade has been worse than at any other time since popular music began, but that's been supplemented by the stuff coming through from the 'underground' and the internet, which has been far more accessible.

Do you think the internet and downloads are really good and helpful for music at-all?
Ultimately yes, as it's going to give far more bands the exposure that they wouldn't have had otherwise without a) a ton of cash, and b) major label backing. Looking at some of the acts that owe their success/exposure solely or in majority to the internet (and the conspiracy theories that come with it, natch), and how easy it has become to access music of the present and past, then it can't really be considered a bad thing. Of course, the row about downloads vs tangible media will roll on, but I'm putting that to the side in order to prevent opening [Loony?] pandora's box.

Albi The Racist Dragon

| 7,432 posts

14th Oct 2009 at 6:01 pm

Quote: the doc, Oct 2009
Not sure about a defining American band, there doesn't seem to have been anything really epochal or earth-shattering, certainly not in a cross-cultural way......

The Strokes were hugely influential, and kick started the whole scene again. And to a lesser extent, Interpol and Arcade Fire. And on a fashion sense, anyway, Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

From the British side of things, the most influential have been Libertines and Arctic Monkeys. And as much as I hate to admit it, Coldplay. Although I think Muse have been the most consistent band of the decade.

My best albums

Radiohead - Kid A
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Interpol - Turn On The Bright Lights
Hope Of The States - The Lost Riots
Muse - Origin of Symmetry
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Libertines - Up The Bracket
The Killers - Hot Fuss
My Vitriol - Finelines
Elbow - Asleep In The Back
[http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/joelsaysyeah.gif]

[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/698876.jpg]

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

17th Oct 2009 at 9:39 pm

Mancomb Seepgood - Grog me.

Grog me.

If I could get an orange that was as low-maintenance as an apple, I'd be a happy man

Alec

| 1,347 posts

18th Oct 2009 at 11:46 pm

Alec - Bing Bong Changes

Bing Bong Changes

For me, this decade has been about the electronic revival, after the more guitar-based 90's. Kick-started by, of all people, Kylie Minogue, with the Fever album, we've had the rise of Goldfrapp, The Killers' first album, the resurgance of Depeche Mode, and a re-appreciation of artists from the 80's. (Even if it's turned into a comeback-fest right now.)

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

19th Oct 2009 at 3:59 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Quote: the doc, Oct 2009
This is a recent favourite of mine from across the pond:

Cease To Begin was the best album of last year by a mile.

And of 2007, too

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page