Currently Reading? (contd......)

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

the doc

| 23,161 posts

26th Nov 2012 at 4:33 pm

the doc -

I've just read HHhH by Laurent Binet.

Nowhere near as clever as it thinks it is, and the intursive, smug authorial voice really started to get on my tits towards the end. Can sort of see what he was trying to do but if he was really that bothered about authenticity he should have just written it as non-fiction and stopped all his post-modern f*cking around. Left me wanting to read a proper biography of Heydrich, and that's about as uncomplimentary a thing as I can probably say about it.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

29th Nov 2012 at 8:38 pm

the doc -

Brotherhood Of the Grape by John fante. Outstanding.

Now on with Soldiers' Pay, Faulkner's first novel. It's different to his other stuff but it's making me smile cos I've been to the house he was living in when he wrote it.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

5th Dec 2012 at 6:08 pm

the doc -

Finished the Faulkner, then read a book called Go With Me, which was sold to me as a cross between Deliverance and Cormac Mccarthy. It was sh*t. Hint to aspiring writers - if you want to write a dialogue-heavy book that uses rapid-fire interactions between your characters to tell the story, f*cking well make sure you can write decent dialogue first.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

30th Dec 2012 at 10:08 am

Puffalump - Because cake is happiness

Because cake is happiness

The last to know - melissa hill
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

31st Dec 2012 at 1:01 pm

the doc -

Read A Good School by Richard Yates before Christmas. Not his best but still pretty damn good.

Now on with Wyoming Tales by Annie Proulx. Brilliant, sownbeat Americana with a brutal sense of humour. This ain't a new book by any means but it's the first thing I've read by her in about ten years and I'm really enjoying it.

Edited by the doc Jan 2013

James

| 315 posts

31st Dec 2012 at 1:19 pm

James -

I've just done Pete Townshend's autobiography. Like his music career, it's very interesting up to about 1983.

Simultaneously did my man Ackroyd's updating of Canterbury Tales. All the more respect for Chaucer after that.

Now I'm about to start another Washington biography.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

31st Dec 2012 at 1:32 pm

the doc -

Quote:
my man Ackroyd's updating of Canterbury Tales

That any good? Been meaning to read that for a while.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

1st Jan 2013 at 7:09 pm

the doc -

Quote: the doc, Dec 2012
Read A Good School by Richard Yates before Christmas. Not his best but still pretty damn good.

Now on with Wyoming Tales by Annie Proulx. Brilliant, downbeat Americana with a brutal sense of humour. This ain't a new book by any means but it's the first thing I've read by her in about ten years and I'm really enjoying it.

Finished this today. Marvellous stuff. It's got Brokeback Mountain in it, which is pretty good, although really you could film most of the stories in here, they're that well-written. Kinda cinematic in scope, thanks to her wonderful descriptive powers.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

2nd Jan 2013 at 6:44 pm

This is a Call - The Life and Times of Dave Grohl - Paul Brannigan
Wife of the lovely Alice

curly_cow

| 1,669 posts

12th Jan 2013 at 8:30 pm

curly_cow - make luv not war!

make luv not war!

Recently finished:

Our Tragic Universe - Scarlett Thomas

The Magician's Elephant - Kate DiCamillo

Currently reading:

Comet in Moominland - Tove Jansson

Book of the Week in the Nursery:

Goldilocks and the Three Bears
The world is quiet here.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

12th Jan 2013 at 8:47 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Quote: curly_cow, Jan 2013
Recently finished:

Our Tragic Universe - Scarlett Thomas

The Magician's Elephant - Kate DiCamillo

Currently reading:

Comet in Moominland - Tove Jansson

Book of the Week in the Nursery:

Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Curly, have you tried any Alice Hoffman books? I think you'd like them
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

13th Jan 2013 at 7:31 pm

[http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1326462381l/11974993.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

20th Jan 2013 at 5:24 pm

[http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1341904023l/12778381.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

20th Jan 2013 at 8:52 pm

Carpet Remnant -

I am a little over halfway through The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.
I'm enjoying it so far.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

22nd Feb 2013 at 10:53 am

the doc -

I've just reread Our Band Could Be Your Life, Michael Azerrad's brilliant chronicle of the US underground in the period 1981-91. Features chapters on Black Flag, Minor Threat, The Minutemen, Replacements, Husker Du, Sonic Youth and a fair few other luminaries of the time. Excellent stuff and essential reading for anyone who's even remotely interested in the history of underground/DIY music.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

24th Feb 2013 at 3:58 pm

the doc -

Off the back of the above, I'm now re-reading Everett True's brilliant book about Nirvana. Best volume I've ever read about them, and I've read quite a few.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

17th Mar 2013 at 11:26 am

the doc -

Recently read a really interesting book about the wonderful Yo La Tengo.

Total knackeredness due to fatherhood is making concentrating somewhat difficult right now, but I'm currently on with Postcards, Annie Proulx's first novel. Really, really good. If I was going to be picky I'd say it's just a tad over-written but that's only in comparison to her later stuff, which just hits that sweet spot between being really descriptive but proper clean and economical with it. Pitch-perfect dialogue too, reminds me of Faulkner and Cormac McCarthy, which puts her in pretty f*cking good company.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

17th Mar 2013 at 9:38 pm

[http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1334547766l/13538708.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

23rd Mar 2013 at 1:41 pm

the doc -

God's Little Acre by Erskine Caldwell.

Absolutely hilarious and sad tale of dirt-poor rednecks in rural Georgia digging for gold. There's an inordinate amount of f*cking in Erskine Caldwell's books, incest too, which is quite shocking considering they were written in the 1930s. No wonder they got banned at the time. Good stuff.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

24th Mar 2013 at 9:40 am

the doc -

Quote: the doc, Mar 2013
God's Little Acre by Erskine Caldwell.

Absolutely hilarious and sad tale of dirt-poor rednecks in rural Georgia digging for gold. There's an inordinate amount of f*cking in Erskine Caldwell's books, incest too, which is quite shocking considering they were written in the 1930s. No wonder they got banned at the time. Good stuff.

Did that in yesterday afternoon, then read Man Without A Country by Kurt Vonnegut from cover to cover. Interesting little state-of-the-nation rant, written not long before he died. He was a great writer.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

31st Mar 2013 at 9:42 am

the doc -

Just read The Many Lives Of Marilyn Monroe by Sarah Churchwell. It's a biography in a sense, but it's really a textual analysis of lots of other Monroe. It was pretty academic but I really enjoyed it. Glad fatherhood hasn't turned my brain to sh*te, even though it feels that way sometimes.

Next up is The Souls Of Black Folk by W E B DuBois

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

31st Mar 2013 at 11:13 am

[http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1358095612l/15834626.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

1st Apr 2013 at 10:32 am

the doc -

Quote:
Next up is The Souls Of Black Folk by W E B DuBois

Really good so far. Few too many Classical allusions for my liking but that's just how academia rolled back then so there's no point moaning about it. Gonna try to finish this today.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

28th Apr 2013 at 8:53 am

the doc -

Really struggling to read at the minute. It's sh*t.

Roxannie

| 12,431 posts

1st May 2013 at 1:24 pm

Roxannie -

[https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSllxg28acM61ACKE2HILB0VgHdPzVq6ouDPj5Lec0-EtJ8pRBbYg]

I've forced myself to get about 50 pages into this, and so far the title is incredibly accurate.

This book isn't an autobiography, it's just a day-by-day diary of the life of Kevin Smith and this is basically how every day goes:

Woke up by the dogs, had breakfast, took my daughter to school, went to a meeting, had lunch, f*cked my wife, read some emails, picked my daughter up, had dinner, signed some merchandise, read some more emails and the message board, watched some TiVo and fell asleep.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

17th May 2013 at 7:49 pm

the doc -

Yay, I can read again!

Read another collection of Annie Proulx stories, Fine Just the Way It Is. Pretty good but far short of her best work, although was worth sticking with till the end for Tits-up In A Ditch. Am now on with You Shall Know Our Velocity by the wonderful Dave Eggers. I say this every time I mention him but he's a f*cking magician with words and he's an incredibly worthy human being as well. Check him out.

James

| 315 posts

18th May 2013 at 1:32 am

James -

Quote: Roxannie, May 2013
[https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSllxg28acM61ACKE2HILB0VgHdPzVq6ouDPj5Lec0-EtJ8pRBbYg]

I've forced myself to get about 50 pages into this, and so far the title is incredibly accurate.

This book isn't an autobiography, it's just a day-by-day diary of the life of Kevin Smith and this is basically how every day goes:

Woke up by the dogs, had breakfast, took my daughter to school, went to a meeting, had lunch, f*cked my wife, read some emails, picked my daughter up, had dinner, signed some merchandise, read some more emails and the message board, watched some TiVo and fell asleep.

Do yourself a favour, and never read Kevin Smith again.

Doc, Eggers' best starting point would be what?

the doc

| 23,161 posts

18th May 2013 at 8:21 am

the doc -

Quote:
Doc, Eggers' best starting point would be what?

A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius

Does exactly what it says on the tin. One of the saddest and funniest (or funniest and saddest, depending on which way you want to look at it) books you could ever hope to read. What Is the What and Zeitoun are both fantastic, and his short stories are utterly brilliant as well, but I'd start with the first one and go from there.

Let me know how you get on if you give him a go.

Finished reading You Shall Know Our Velocity about half an hour ago and really, really enjoyed it. Great ending.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

19th May 2013 at 9:41 am

the doc -

Waiting For the Evening News by Tim Gautreaux.

One of the perks of working in a library is discovering gems like this. Have never heard of this guy but found this t'other day and am smitten with it. It's a great collection of short stories all set in the Deep South, which I love all the more cos I've visited a lot of the places he's writing about. Lush, descriptive prose and absolutely pitch-perfect dialogue, it's got a more than a touch of the Faulkner about it, and a fair old nod to Annie Proulx as well. I've only read the first three stories but I'm chuffed to bits with it so far.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

1st Jun 2013 at 7:52 am

the doc -

Quote: the doc, May 2013
Waiting For the Evening News by Tim Gautreaux.

One of the perks of working in a library is discovering gems like this. Have never heard of this guy but found this t'other day and am smitten with it. It's a great collection of short stories all set in the Deep South, which I love all the more cos I've visited a lot of the places he's writing about. Lush, descriptive prose and absolutely pitch-perfect dialogue, it's got a more than a touch of the Faulkner about it, and a fair old nod to Annie Proulx as well. I've only read the first three stories but I'm chuffed to bits with it so far.

Really, reall high quality, those.

Am now on with another set of stories called Open by Lisa Moore. Never heard of her till I started working in libraries and I've been meaning to read her ever since. The prose is f*cking dazzling in a really low-key kinda way. They're a very different kinda story to the Tim Gautreaux ones - extremely complex in the way she shifts between times and viewpoints. Massively impressed by this stuff; think she's got a couple of novels as well so going to check them out at some point.

Alice, I dunno why but I've a suspicion that you might like these.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

13th Jun 2013 at 6:25 pm

the doc -

I'm reading Skagboys. Will talk about it at length when I've read it all, but it's been quietly compulsive so far.

James

| 315 posts

14th Jun 2013 at 12:18 am

James -

Quote: the doc, Jun 2013
I'm reading Skagboys. Will talk about it at length when I've read it all, but it's been quietly compulsive so far.

Never been the world's biggest Welsh fan. I think he was overrated cos he talked about Iggy Pop and stuff at a time when Blur were fashionable. Burroughs' is always my silly turn to for heroin fun, really.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

25th Jun 2013 at 7:20 pm

the doc -

Quote: Jam Pot, Jun 2013

Never been the world's biggest Welsh fan. I think he was overrated cos he talked about Iggy Pop and stuff at a time when Blur were fashionable. Burroughs' is always my silly turn to for heroin fun, really.

Similar. Trainspotting (the movie) was one of the cultural touchstones of my youth (i was 15 when it came out) and had a massive impact on me. That said, I've never been a hugh fan either. I've always thought of him as a good writer rather than a great one, and for every great thing he did (The Granton Star Cause, for example) there'd be summat like Filth that I didn't like at all.

Skagboys is a really, really good book though. Howling funny, desperately sad, witty as f*ck and stomach-churningly gross, amongst other things. Maybe it's from OD'ing on the film over the years, but the characters are so real in my head that it's unbelievable. There's some really good social commentary in here as well, in the Notes On An Epidemic section. The ending is really good too.

So, came with a sense of trepidation and came out smiling. Haven't enjoyed a book (especially by a non-American writer, seeing as though that's mostly what I read these days) so much in ages.

(There was a lot of other stuff I wanted to say in this post but I have to put Luka to bed now so I haven;t articualted any of it properly )

the doc

| 23,161 posts

25th Jun 2013 at 7:22 pm

the doc -

Quote: Jam Pot, Jun 2013

You've probably already read it, but for serious silly heroin fun, read Crowley's Diary Of A Drug Fiend. It's excellent.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

4th Jul 2013 at 9:23 pm

Ps, i love you - cecelia ahern
Wife of the lovely Alice

James

| 315 posts

4th Jul 2013 at 11:09 pm

James -

Quote: Puffalump, Jul 2013

I saw the film of that, which got loads of stick but I thought was pretty good.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

6th Jul 2013 at 7:52 am

Quote: James, Jul 2013
Quote: Puffalump, Jul 2013

I saw the film of that, which got loads of stick but I thought was pretty good.

I saw the film ages ago, I thought it was good. I enjoyed the book as a quick read, though not sure that anyone in real life would recover from a loss like that so quickly. But then i guess that's kind of the point.

Not sure what to read next, need to unpack my books.
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

17th Jul 2013 at 8:12 pm

the doc -

In quick succession, I've just read The Man With the Golden Arm (brilliant - check out the film with Sinatra in it too), True Grit (meh - like the John Wayne flick, not seen the new one) and also The Grifters, which was okay but the film has Annette Benning and Angelica Huston in it, and is f*cking immense so watch that instead.

Now about to read My Education: book of dreams by Bill Burroughs. Thought I'd read all of his but came across this in my fdavourite book shop (in Morecambe) the other week, so am very much looking forward to it.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

20th Jul 2013 at 8:33 am

[http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348611565m/9189956.jpg]
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

25th Jul 2013 at 6:58 pm

the doc -

Quote: the doc, Jul 2013
In quick succession, I've just read The Man With the Golden Arm (brilliant - check out the film with Sinatra in it too), True Grit (meh - like the John Wayne flick, not seen the new one) and also The Grifters, which was okay but the film has Annette Benning and Angelica Huston in it, and is f*cking immense so watch that instead.

Now about to read My Education: book of dreams by Bill Burroughs. Thought I'd read all of his but came across this in my fdavourite book shop (in Morecambe) the other week, so am very much looking forward to it.

Burroughs book was brilliant. Was more of a fan of him as a person rather than a writer, although I do like much of his stuff. F*cking mental though. Next up is People Of the Abyss by Jack London, which I've been meaning to read for ages.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

28th Jul 2013 at 7:52 pm

the doc -

Quote:
People Of the Abyss

In which Jack London visits the East End and writes Down and Out In Paris and London about thirty years before Orwell. Excellent book.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

29th Jul 2013 at 6:38 pm

the doc -

Got a ton of stuff on order at work but none of it's turned up yet and the first one won't arrive till the morrow, so tonight I'm gonna do some idle leafing through my Whitby Lore and Legend book.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

31st Jul 2013 at 6:42 pm

the doc -

I'm about to start reading Runnin Wild, a biography of the gorgeous Clara Bow.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

1st Aug 2013 at 6:31 pm

the doc -

Quote: the doc, Jul 2013
I'm about to start reading Runnin Wild, a biography of the gorgeous Clara Bow.

B*ll*cks. This turned out to be a load of subjective, over-written, hyperbolic, sensationalist American sh*te. Managed all of five pages before the urge to throw it across the room became too great and I had to put it down. Thank f*ck I can just take it back to work and didn't part with any cash for it.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

5th Aug 2013 at 9:47 am

the doc -

I've just made a start on The World Rushed In, which is an account of the Gold Rush of 1849 as told through the letters and diaries of a farmer from Missouri who took part. There are a couple of little quirks on the part of the editor that are p*ssing me off somewhat, but the subject matter and source material is so interesting I've decided to try to ignore it and crack on. The Gold Rushes were the most important social happenings (other that the Civil War, obviously) in 19th century America and I've been meaning to read up on them for ages. Hoping to get cracked on with some more of this today, although it's hard to find the time to do it when the Pog's on the loose.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

5th Aug 2013 at 5:58 pm

the doc -

Quote: the doc, Aug 2013
I've just made a start on The World Rushed In, which is an account of the Gold Rush of 1849 as told through the letters and diaries of a farmer from Missouri who took part. There are a couple of little quirks on the part of the editor that are p*ssing me off somewhat, but the subject matter and source material is so interesting I've decided to try to ignore it and crack on. The Gold Rushes were the most important social happenings (other that the Civil War, obviously) in 19th century America and I've been meaning to read up on them for ages. Hoping to get cracked on with some more of this today, although it's hard to find the time to do it when the Pog's on the loose.

Well into this now.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

19th Aug 2013 at 10:08 am

the doc -

Well into this now.

Proper enjoyed that. Poor guy came home wiyh nothing, but it had kinda a happy ending cos him and his missus were married for fifty years in the end. Followed it up with The Life and Death Of the Last Great Gold Rush, which was a riotous account of the Klondike rush of the 1890s. Nowhere near as academic as the other book, and all the better for it. Just a rollocking account that's as big and brawling as the country it describes. Proper interesting bit of social history right there.

Now on with Everythingt Ravaged, Everything Burned by Wells Tower, which is a collection of stories recommended to me by Ania's lovely friend Bee. Only read the first one and it was pretty good, although I've read other recent collections with a little bit more bite. We'll see.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

25th Aug 2013 at 7:54 pm

the doc -

P T Barnum's autobiography.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

31st Aug 2013 at 9:26 pm

the doc -

P T Barnum's autobiography.

Done. Interesting, but a little dry, which is odd considering who he was. Now on with Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson, which I've been meaning to read for a long, long time. Frighteningly modern set of short stories, to say it was published in 1915.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

6th Sept 2013 at 6:30 pm

It's Not Me, It's You - Jon Richardson
Wife of the lovely Alice

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

Page: