26th Mar 2011 at 1:25 pm

the doc -

And why?

Well, go on then..........

Carpet Remnant

| 11,715 posts

26th Mar 2011 at 1:29 pm

Carpet Remnant -

Stephen King, because he writes easy to read pulp and creates a sort of interlinked world that rewards readers with little references here and there.

Chuck Palahniuk because he writes like no-one else I've ever read. He's a master of the disconnected narrative. Never giving you the whole picture, never treating you like an idiot.

Terry Pratchett, he's great.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

26th Mar 2011 at 1:49 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

Aphra Behn, LM Montgomery, Adrienne Rich, Gloria Steinem and Herman Hesse. i tend to feel awkward when asked why i like people or things so i won't say why.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

the doc

| 23,161 posts

26th Mar 2011 at 1:54 pm

the doc -

Quote: Rayanne Graff, Mar 2011
Aphra Behn, LM Montgomery, Adrienne Rich, Gloria Steinem and Herman Hesse. i tend to feel awkward when asked why i like people or things so i won't say why.

What's your favourite Herman Hesse book, Straws? I've read pretty much all of his (not got round to reading Journey To the East yet, but that's the only one) and I've loved them all except for The Glass Bead Game. Had loads of pub arguments with my mate Phil about that one cos he thinks it's amazing and I didn't like it at all.

Incidentally, did you name your tortoise after him?

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

26th Mar 2011 at 2:07 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

i s'pose i'd have to say Siddhartha as it was the first book by Hesse that i read. i've only read three books by him. The other two were Demian and Strange News From Another Star.

No, i didn't name Herman after him; it was the fiancé who came up with the name because Herman is a Hermann's tortoise.

Who are your favourite writers, anyroad?
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

26th Mar 2011 at 2:10 pm

Puffalump - Because cake is happiness

Because cake is happiness

Angela Carter. Without meaning to sound pretentious there's a quality about her writing that just makes you catch your breath a little and think *I wish I could do that*.

Sarah Addison Allen. I love how all of her books have aspects of magic / fairytale in them, and I devour them so quickly and eagerly anticipate the next one.

Alice Hoffman. I have to admit I've not managed to read all of her books yet, but I'm working my way through. Again it's the magic quality that draws me in, and the way her characters are so believable. You can tell how her writing has progressed from Property Of

Hmm my favourite writers are all women it seems! I do read books by men as well, but I don't have a favourite male author as such.
Wife of the lovely Alice

the doc

| 23,161 posts

26th Mar 2011 at 2:20 pm

the doc -

Quote: Rayanne Graff, Mar 2011
i s'pose i'd have to say Siddhartha as it was the first book by Hesse that i read. i've only read three books by him. The other two were Demian and Strange News From Another Star.

No, i didn't name Herman after him; it was the fiancé who came up with the name because Herman is a Hermann's tortoise.

Who are your favourite writers, anyroad?

Man, I've got loads...........

James Joyce was a super-genius and I don't think there can be much dispute about that one. Norman Mailer is a long-standing favourite of mine, ditto Henry Miller although both of them wrote some proper knackers in amongst their masterpieces. Most of mine are American men, as it happens, Steinbeck, Faulkner, Hemingway, Kerouac.......

Love Sylvia Plath, William Blake, Emily Bronte, Shakespeare, Updike, Thomas Pynchon, Hanif Kureshi. Too many to name, really. Willy Vlautin's well on his way too, although he's only done three books so far. They're all brilliant though and I've got high hopes for him. Probably my favourite contemporary writer, with the exception of Cormac McCarthy who no one else even comes close to at the moment.

Just a quick word on Angela Carter as well - twisted fairy tales for grown ups told in unapologetically self-indulgent prose of the purplest hues. She was a wonderful writer.

Jim Dodge as well, can't forget him.

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

26th Mar 2011 at 8:34 pm

Puffalump - Because cake is happiness

Because cake is happiness

Quote: the doc, Mar 2011

James Joyce was a super-genius and I don't think there can be much dispute about that one.

*raises hand*. The Dubliners.

Enough said.
Wife of the lovely Alice

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

28th Mar 2011 at 9:35 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Christopher Hitchens, I love for his snobbish sniping, the burning intelligent vitriol that pours from his pen. I generally don't care for people who think a lot of themselves, who are so assured in their opinions, but he's got the stylish elan to pull it off. I recommend: his book on Thomas Jefferson, Paine's Rights of Man, and my favourite, God is Not Great. I'm going to miss him when he goes.

Brendan Behan. Ex-IRA man who drank himself to death after writing some of the most fetchingly charismatic works in the English language. Behan's got that Hunter Thompson/Jack Kerouac factor (both of whom are favourites of mine) where after you read some of his work, you want to run out of the room and have some great experiences in your life.

Terry Pratchett. The funniest tragedy writer the world's ever seen. Pratchett believes in people, and shaped much of my worldview. Things get extremely sh*tty, but there'll be good people to try and fix the confused mess that those less able to hide their fear leave. The Sam Vimes books in particular.

Other comic writers: My avatar, Marky Mark Twain. PG Wodehouse. Douglas Adams. Oscar Wilde could be pretty funny. The fag on the crag's plays were his poetry.

James Clarence Mangan. A drunken wastrel smackhead Irish poet capable of bringing home the brutal reality of life while simultaneously composing word symphonies on the simple redemption of love/obsession. Extremely underrated prose writer who got me reading old German stuff.

Graham Greene. The quintessential British writer after D*ckens, as far as I'm concerned. All human life is there.

Bukowski, Burroughs, Baudelaire, Blake.

Lorca, Rimbaud, Shakespeare.

Bill Bryson's science book opened my eyes to the awe of the natural world in a witty way.

I like Stephen King as well.

David McCullogh's one of my favourite histtory writers. I think everyone should read his biography of John Adams.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

28th Mar 2011 at 9:46 pm

Delirium Tremens -

Three one hit wonders:

1) John McVicar's book about his time in prison is an absolute must read. His subsequent career's been spent writing cash-in books about celebrities, but this book, which was the inspiration for the classic British film starring Roger Daltrey, is one of the best about being inside.

2) My Left Foot - Christy Brown. What a great, inspiring read.

3) To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee. God, I wish she'd written more, that book is perfect.

Animal

| 32,547 posts

28th Mar 2011 at 11:18 pm

Animal -

Mark Z Daniewlski, I read House of Leaves and was smitten, while I normally get quite deep into books, nothing has sucked me in to the point where I've been too scared to walk down hallways or do anything that happens to the main protagonists in this book. While a lot of it's approach simply relies on clever use of texts, footnotes and other various devices, its still completely enthralling, since all these serve to do is heighten the feeling of losing ourself while reading.

Isaac Asimov. One of the greatest SF writers of his generation, he is in part what got me into robotics I used to love the Positronic Robot series when I was growing up, his basis for robotics, laying down the widely known three laws or robotics, though to his thoughts of ho robots would react within the confines of these laws have spurred a generation of people to get into the industry and have shaped its very future decades before we were even close enough to perfecting even the most simple of devices in this area. This is even before we touch on the Foundation series.

Arthur C Clarke. I'm a science/sci-fi nerd. He is another one of the greatest SF writers of his time. Not only that but the dude is credited for being the father of Satellites. Yes, his work is a bit on the heavy side, yes it can be mired in science fact and yes; at times it can be a slog because of it, but every last letter is worth it. Much like Asimov, his work has helped shape the way modern science has progressed in many ways, be it the orbiting satellite or the inevitable 'Space Elevator' as its generally known. The vision behind all this came from a man whose ideas predated many of the devices that follow them by years.

This said, both of these authors are pretty heavy in terms of their approach. I love a lot of lighter SF reads too, but I can't pick one or two particular favourites without struggling to find one in favour of another. Check out people like Poul Anderson, one of my favourites by him being The Corridors of Time. A novel about a war waged by people from our future, using our own history as its weapons, a book which is littered with many interesting historical factoids about human migration patterns, genetics, breeding and various other things that shaped the people we are today. Brian Aldiss and his utterly woderful Helliconia trilogy. A series which spans around a thousand years and countless hundreds of lightyears of space while yet keeping a very central set of locations, that almost become bigger than the characters themselves.
Harlen Ellison and his shorts, such as I have no mouth and I must Scream a story of the last survivors of humanity, kept alive and tortured forever by the insane and highly angry AM; a supercomputer constructed by the three main factions in the last world war to run the war more efficiently for them. Plus countless more (Sadly my book collection is currently all boxed up under my bed so I am struggling to remember much more off the top of my head.)

William Blake. One of the few poets I've ever actually 'got'

Terry Pratchett. You need to ask why?

Clive Barker, though for books like Imajica more than anything else.. Imajica is possibly the most all encompassing, clever, well thought out piece of literature I have encountered in a long, long time.

Many more I'm likely forgetting.

Edit.

William F*cking Gibson!

How did he miss my first list?

Neuromancer is often cited as inspiring the way the internet developed. The man is responsible for several terms which are fairly commonplace now, such as Cyberspace (Sadly falling into misuse) or ICE (Intrusion Countermeasure Electronics) I absolutely fell in love with his vision for what the internet could be and was fully and firmly introduced to Cyberpunk, a genre I have ever since loved dearly.

Edited by Animal Mar 2011
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

30th Mar 2011 at 12:15 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

- Terry Pratchett.
- Douglas Adams.
- Jasper Fforde.
- Douglas Coupland.
- Alex Garland.
- Audrey Niffenegger.
- Scarlett Thomas.
- Erlend Loe.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

30th Mar 2011 at 12:17 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

31st Mar 2011 at 10:27 am

I Cunt Spell -

Milan Kundera, Mitch Albom, Margaret Atwood, Iris Murdoch, Stephen King and Oscar Wilde.

I'm hoping to ingest some more Ernest Hemingway soon, For Whom The Bell Tolls was fantastic.

I Cunt Spell

| 4,650 posts

31st Mar 2011 at 10:48 am

I Cunt Spell -

Oh, and Tolstoy.

Delirium Tremens

| 1,875 posts

31st Mar 2011 at 11:27 am

Delirium Tremens -

Quote: Animal, Mar 2011

Harlen Ellison and his shorts, such as I have no mouth and I must Scream a story of the last survivors of humanity, kept alive and tortured forever by the insane and highly angry AM; a supercomputer constructed by the three main factions in the last world war to run the war more efficiently for them. Plus countless more (Sadly my book collection is currently all boxed up under my bed so I am struggling to remember much more off the top of my head.)

I really like Ellison's writing. He's a bit of a pointless d*ck in real life, but in terms of imagination and tough prose, he's up there with Stephen King and Richard Matheson.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

2nd Apr 2011 at 3:37 pm

the doc -

Quote:
My avatar, Marky Mark Twain

The first part of his official autobiography has just been published (he stipulated that it was not to be done until a hundred years after his death) if you're interested. I've got it on order at work, very much looking forward to reading it. He was a funny, funny man.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

2nd Apr 2011 at 3:38 pm

the doc -

Quote:
I'm hoping to ingest some more Ernest Hemingway soon, For Whom The Bell Tolls was fantastic.

Try A Farewell To Arms if you enjoyed that one. It's brilliant. Or if you want something short and sweet, check out The Old man and the Sea - you can read that in a couple of hours and it's amazing.

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page