The Book Thief

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

the doc

| 23,161 posts

15th Jul 2010 at 8:38 pm

the doc -

After much consideration, I've decided that this is worthy of its own thread. Who's read it, and what did everyone think about it? Was eulogised over when it was published in 2005 and time seems to be increasing its reputation more than anything.

I've just finished it and I'm baffled, frustrated, p*ssed off and baffled some more.

Good points: the guy can obviously write and does so very pleasingly in places. Has giant balls of steel for tackling this subject matter in this manner. Tightly constructed given the narrative device.

Bad points: fantastically irritating narrative device. The tone of the whole book is f*cking smug, I think, and not at all appropriate to the subject matter. The narrative voice is massively sentimental and I cannot get my f*cking head around that because Death is the narrator. How can Death be sentimental, writing about collecting thousands of souls from the gas chambers but then one little boy "always made me cry." Dismissed the battle of Stalingrad as "that was no ski trip, I can tell you." Seriously, what the f*ck are you talking about, man?

Will await response before I discuss further cos (a) I'm curious to hear what other folks made of it and (b) I'm tired and I can't ge arsed typing any more.

Just as a footnote, the purpose of this thread is not for me to do a total hatchet job on the book because there are some decent things to say about it, I'm just genuinely curious to see what folks made of it. It's got four hundred and thirty three five star ratings on Amazon for Christ's sake, what am I missing? For the record, it's two and a half for me.

Rayanne Graff

| 76,001 posts

15th Jul 2010 at 8:49 pm

Rayanne Graff - River Phoenix

River Phoenix

People on Amazon can be daft, though. i mean, Jordan gets good reviews on there.

i haven't read it, anyroad; i'm not sure if it'd be worth reading.
*[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/uploads/549604.jpg]*

Vel

| 23,203 posts

15th Jul 2010 at 10:57 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

I have a few books to read first (David Mitchell's newest, and boy is that tiresome!, Florence and Giles, A Feast of Freud), but I shall put that next on my list and try borrow it tomorrow.
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Animal

| 32,547 posts

16th Jul 2010 at 1:05 am

Animal -

Quote: the doc, Jul 2010

How can Death be sentimental, writing about collecting thousands of souls from the gas chambers but then one little boy "always made me cry."

This to me makes some semblance of sense. Think about Pratchetts version of Death. Its akin to how I view him. The big things can be passed off, but he see's more import and meaning in the little, seemingly insignificant things. The death of a candle girl on Christmas Eve for example.

http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page