Favourite Writers

Posted In: Poetry + Prose. Reading This Thread:

the doc

| 23,161 posts

30th Jan 2008 at 1:36 pm

the doc -

Let's have a roundup of everyone's favourite writers then, please.

I think if I had to pick one mine'd probably be Norman Mailer, his versatility was staggering when you look at his body of work. An American Dream is me favourite fictional work by him, a man with complete control of the English language, right on top of his game. Amazing stuff. He was a great journalist too, The Fight deals with the Ali-Foreman fight and it wonderful, as is Executioner's Song, a massive book about Gary Gilmore, a convicted murdered in the States who campaigned for his own execution. He covers it from every conceivable angle, it's exhausting to read but utterly, utterly brilliant (fans of In Cold Blood should investigate, it's similar but far, far superior). Armies of the Night (about the march on the Pentagon) is a f*cking great book as well.

There's plenty of others for me to blether on about, some of whom you'll probably be able to guess, but I'll wait and see what everyone else has got to bring to the table first.

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

30th Jan 2008 at 3:23 pm

Elusive Moose - Get your Antlers on

Get your Antlers on

I love Jefferey Eugenicides, or at least all two of his novels that's he's written. He's so articulate, beautifully written and also quite humerous. I can't get over how well he seems to get (albeit exaggerated) into the female mind, as well.

Also, Alice Sebold is a wonderful writer. The Lovely Bones is beautiful, and from what I've read so far of The Almost Moon it's on the same track. I think she has to be the queen of opening lines as well.

For light relief Marian Keyes and Ben Elton (though more his earlier stuff like Inconceivable and Dead Famous- I wasn't a fan of Chart Throb and haven't read his latest)

Favourite playwright has to be Tennessee Williams, The Glass Menagerie in particular. Quite partial to some Arthur Miller as well, but I much prefer Williams' style. Can I include Jason Robert Brown once again (he does musicals, ok, they tell a story ). I have never read/heard lyrics that can affect pretty much everyone who reads them so much.

I may have overused superlatives in this post.

Will think of more later.

Edited by Elusive Moose Jan 2008
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Wife of  Phil the Lawful Hippo. Imagine the children!

The Disneyafied Adventures of Me

Albert Johanneson

| 14,477 posts

30th Jan 2008 at 3:43 pm

Albert Johanneson - Outside-left

Outside-left

Charles Bukowski
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jack Kerouac

Captain Stupendo

| 2,235 posts

30th Jan 2008 at 3:50 pm

Captain Stupendo - snarf!

snarf!

James Herbert is the master of horror. Conn Igulden for the fantatsic emperor series, and Bernard Cornwell for Sharpe and the Alfred the great series. Im currently reading book 2 of his Warlord chronicles and as usual its great, I cant put it down.
Never take life seriously.

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

30th Jan 2008 at 4:12 pm

Freshly Squeezed Cynic - apparently the big pink bastard is me

apparently the big pink bastard is me

Quote: illusiveshadow
(though more his earlier stuff like Inconceivable and Dead Famous- I wasn't a fan of Chart Throb and haven't read his latest)

It's sh*te.

Turtle

| 3,404 posts

30th Jan 2008 at 4:29 pm

Vladimir Nabokov (Lolita is the best written book ever. Try and find a major flaw in how he wrote it because you can't. Its perfectly written.)
Ernest Hemingway (A Farewell to Arms gets me everytime)
F.Scott Fitzgerald
Robert Graves (Goodbye to All That is very well written and is one of my favourite autobiographies and his poetry is also amongst some of my favourite pieces. A Dead Boche is still the first poem that pops into my head when I think of death at war.)
Arthur Miller (my favourite playwright)
Roald Dahl. (Who doesn't absolutely love him and think of tea and jam on toast when they read his books?)

And in a west wing quote: 'Toby.'

Puffalump

| 22,943 posts

30th Jan 2008 at 7:44 pm

Puffalump - Because cake is happiness

Because cake is happiness

Angela Carter.

I'd give anything to be able to write so beautifully.
Wife of the lovely Alice

Little Blue Fox.

| 4,256 posts

4th Feb 2008 at 3:28 pm

Little Blue Fox. - Hope is important.

Hope is important.

Alex Garland.
Scarlett Thomas.
Terry Pratchett.
Jasper Fforde.
Douglas Coupland.
Douglas Adams.
Christopher Brookmyre.
Neil Gaiman.
Jane Austen.
Franz Kafka sometimes.

It hurts too much not to try.
I will see you in another life when we are both cats.
Quod perditum est, in venietur.*Facebook.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

4th Feb 2008 at 9:24 pm

the doc -

Quote:
Vladimir Nabokov (Lolita is the best written book ever. Try and find a major flaw in how he wrote it because you can't. Its perfectly written.)

Not my favourite book ever, but it really is a magnificent piece of work.

Pope of Chilli Town

| 12,089 posts

5th Feb 2008 at 7:50 am

Pope of Chilli Town -

Gotta agree with Stu about Mailer, The Fight is a superb book

Currently I'm liking Don Winslow's stuff and will probably reread The Power Of the Dog for the 4th time in as many months this week, excellent prose and he knows what he's writing about in relation the DEA's "War On Drugs" in South America

the doc

| 23,161 posts

13th Feb 2008 at 4:26 pm

the doc -

It's a kinda predictable one, this is, but I've always absolutely loved George Orwell. 1984 was the first example of 'serious' literature I ever read, i was thirteen at the time, I think. And ever since that I've been mad on the guy, I've read more of his work than any other English writer (and most American ones as well, come to think of it, except possibly Mailer). It's often forgotten that he can be funny as hell when he wants to be (see Keep the Aspidistra Flying or Coming Up For Air). His reportage was always excellent two, I've always been a huge fan of The Road to Wigan Pier. It has its detractors, but it paints a pretty good picture of the kind of life that my grandparents led back in the thirties so maybe that explains my affinity with it. Down and Out in Paris and London's me favourite though.

Been a bit of a disappointing response to this thread. Does no one else have anything to bring to the table?

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

15th Feb 2008 at 3:20 pm

Get your Antlers on

Ian McEwan. Even though he waffles on sometimes, I'd love to be able to write so beautifully.

It's so hard to think of individual authors who are consistently amazing... All the classic authors aren't really all that all the time- D*ckens, Austen and co are over-rated IMO. Though I'm probably just jealous
"You can't roast infants. You just don't get away with it."- a life lesson for us all.

Mancomb Seepgood

| 3,455 posts

15th Feb 2008 at 4:25 pm

Mancomb Seepgood - Grog me.

Grog me.

As Doc says, both Mailer and Orwell are tremendous, and showcase why journalists make better writers, focusing on tight narrative and the necessary details that make up their wonderfully portrayed characters, and lacking the needless metaphors and tedious descriptive parts that ruin many works.

Saying that, when such description is done well (and I mean flawlessly beautiful), it can turn the author's creation into a part of your life, as can be seen in the magnificent works of Tolstoy and Dostoevsky. The former telling tales that combine the simplicities of life, with the most epic adventure, all intertwined with a complex, yet well thought out, philosophy of God, sex and death and underpins everything involved in his novels.

Pratchett is good for lighter entertainment, as well as Adams, natch.

Also recently got into Garcia Marquez several years after a friends remarked on Love in the Time of Cholera being the best book he has ever read.

Wilde has the most wonderful way with words that demonstrate the genius of his troubled mind.

I also enjoy the cynicism of Fitzgerald, and the eccentricity of Joyce.
If I could get an orange that was as low-maintenance as an apple, I'd be a happy man

Elusive Moose

| 8,546 posts

15th Feb 2008 at 5:59 pm

Get your Antlers on

Quote: mancombseepgood

Also recently got into Garcia Marquez several years after a friends remarked on Love in the Time of Cholera being the best book he has ever read.

Oooh he's awesome. Love's been made into a film I think, or maybe it's 100 years of Solitude... Either way, looking forward to that

(IMDB says it's Love, released 21st March...)

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

15th Feb 2008 at 7:08 pm

In terms of fantasy/sci-fi, Iain M. Banks and China Mieville are sh*t hot. Banks' Culture series is so bursting with ideas that I find them impossible to put down. His non sci-fi stuff is pretty good, too; I loved Whit, about a girl from a small cult who has to go out into the big bad world.

the doc

| 23,161 posts

17th Feb 2008 at 11:17 am

the doc -

Quote: fsc
In terms of fantasy/sci-fi, Iain M. Banks and China Mieville are sh*t hot. Banks' Culture series is so bursting with ideas that I find them impossible to put down. His non sci-fi stuff is pretty good, too; I loved Whit, about a girl from a small cult who has to go out into the big bad world.

Iain Banks is an excellent writer, although I don't like the sci-fi stuff. That's not down to him though, I just don't like the genre. I thought if anyone could get me reading it it'd be him, but alas not. His other stuff is great in places though, although he's a little self-indulgent at time, I feel.

As a further to what Thomas said, Dostoevsky is utterly wonderful. You have to put in a lot of effort but it's extremely rewarding. Same goes for James Joyce, although for altogether different reasons. Absolutely batsh*t crazy, that stuff, but he really was a genius.

Vel

| 23,203 posts

3rd Mar 2008 at 9:32 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Quote: illusiveshadow
Quote: mancombseepgood

Oooh he's awesome. Love's been made into a film I think, or maybe it's 100 years of Solitude... Either way, looking forward to that

(IMDB says it's Love, released 21st March...)

I'm reading Love at the moment, but I put it down to read some ethnographies (and more importantly, Middlesex) and am finding it hard to get back into.

It's interesting, I'll give it that definitely, but not one of my favourites.

Somewhat childishly, but I DID read these when I was in my teens, I love Garth Nix's books. The review: "Fantasy that reads like realism" is so apt, and even after numerous re-readings they still grip me.

Audrey Niffenegger too, is an author I loved after Time Traveller;s Wife- does she have any more stuff does anyone know?

Diana Wynne Jones is someone I read a lot in my youth, and whilst she is excellent for stories about magic, she could do with working on her endings a little.

Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Animal

| 32,547 posts

3rd Mar 2008 at 10:43 pm

Animal -

Mark Z Danielewski,
Grant/Naylor
Douglas Adams
Terry Pratchett
Dan Abnett
Bret Easton Ellis
Neil Gaimen
H. P. Lovecraft.
William Gibson
Arthur C Clark
Phillip K D*ck
Brian Aldiss
Clive Barker
Isaac Asimov
Raymond E Fiest

All in all a pretty eclectic mix.. Some Sci-Fi, some horror/thriller some High Fantasy, some Comedy...

I put more than I intended to, but found I couldn't include one person without including another.. Gah.
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

3rd Mar 2008 at 11:12 pm

Joseph Heller. People often don't rate his other novels because their no Catch-22, but then how many novels are so utterly hilarious, so anarchic, but so dark, laughing in the face of death, laughing in the face of life, humanity, and all our flaws and graces? His other novels are good, but if Heller had only written that novel about the Fighting 2 to the 8th power, he'd still be my favourite novelist.

Remembering Heller, though, always leads me on to a similar yet different writer, Kurt Vonnegut. Now there's a man who can write sci-fi anyone can enjoy, because the sci-fi is not the focus, it's more the trope that allows that man's dizzying imagination to run riot and make trenchant criticisms about us and the world we live in. Slaughterhouse Five, The Sirens of Titan and Cat's Cradle are fantastic, although non sci-fi works like Mother Night and Breakfast of Champions are also class.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

4th Mar 2008 at 10:36 am

Colin -

I don't know much about literature but David Nobbs is brilliant. Roald Dahl is also much more than just a kids' author who overuses 'and'.
Those, Douglas Adams and Stephen King are probably the only fiction authours I stay loyal to.
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Vel

| 23,203 posts

4th Mar 2008 at 12:24 pm

Vel - Marry me?

Marry me?

Joseph Heller. People often don't rate his other novels because their no Catch-22, but then how many novels are so utterly hilarious, so anarchic, but so dark, laughing in the face of death, laughing in the face of life, humanity, and all our flaws and graces?

Sorry, but it's a once in a lifetime opportunity!
Wife of Amy, Sex Goddess

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

4th Mar 2008 at 1:00 pm

Motherf*cker. I was tired.

Colin

| 10,038 posts

4th Mar 2008 at 1:04 pm

Colin -

Quote: Lemony_Zester
Joseph Heller. People often don't rate his other novels because their no Catch-22, but then how many novels are so utterly hilarious, so anarchic, but so dark, laughing in the face of death, laughing in the face of life, humanity, and all our flaws and graces?

Sorry, but it's a once in a lifetime opportunity!

I resisted it, Alice... and you just stole it away
http://www.myspace.com/papertruth
[http://www.vegetablerevolution.co.uk/resources/uploads/gerrard.jpg]

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

4th Mar 2008 at 1:05 pm

Also! Graphic novels; I can't talk about my favourite writers without mentioning the Holy Trinity of Gaiman, Ellis and Moore. All spectacularly imaginative folk, with talent to die for. I am insanely jealous of them all, especially Ellis, whose latest webcomic seems to be based around an idea similar to one that I've been working on for ages, and it's simply better than anything I could have thought up just in the first 18 or so pages. I readily concede defeat, he is a WINNER.

Dr. Harold Shipman

| 10,547 posts

4th Mar 2008 at 1:22 pm

Dr. Harold Shipman - Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

By Moore, you mean Alan Moore right?

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

4th Mar 2008 at 1:26 pm

Quote: Haryuu_No_Hanekata
By Moore, you mean Alan Moore right?

I thought that went without saying.

Dr. Harold Shipman

| 10,547 posts

4th Mar 2008 at 1:32 pm

Dr. Harold Shipman - Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

Old people CLEARLY need more painkillers.

Just checking

Animal

| 32,547 posts

4th Mar 2008 at 2:12 pm

Animal -

Also! Graphic novels; I can't talk about my favourite writers without mentioning the Holy Trinity of Gaiman, Ellis and Moore. All spectacularly imaginative folk, with talent to die for. I am insanely jealous of them all, especially Ellis, whose latest webcomic seems to be based around an idea similar to one that I've been working on for ages, and it's simply better than anything I could have thought up just in the first 18 or so pages. I readily concede defeat, he is a WINNER.
Agreed
Graphic novel writers never get enough love in the literary world.
http://www.dasburros.com

The world isn't run by weapons anymore, or energy, or money. It's run by little rabbits and zeroes, little bits of data. It's all just electrons.

Cycling Antics

the doc

| 23,161 posts

4th Mar 2008 at 6:03 pm

the doc -

Joseph Heller. People often don't rate his other novels because their no Catch-22, but then how many novels are so utterly hilarious, so anarchic, but so dark, laughing in the face of death, laughing in the face of life, humanity, and all our flaws and graces? His other novels are good, but if Heller had only written that novel about the Fighting 2 to the 8th power, he'd still be my favourite novelist.

Remembering Heller, though, always leads me on to a similar yet different writer, Kurt Vonnegut. Now there's a man who can write sci-fi anyone can enjoy, because the sci-fi is not the focus, it's more the trope that allows that man's dizzying imagination to run riot and make trenchant criticisms about us and the world we live in. Slaughterhouse Five, The Sirens of Titan and Cat's Cradle are fantastic, although non sci-fi works like Mother Night and Breakfast of Champions are also class.

I know I seem to make a hiabit of agreeing with our resident cynic, but Joseph Heller is a f*cking god. Scandalously, for a man of my interests, I'm not overly familiar with Vonnegut, BUT Slaughterhouse-5 is one of the best books you could ever wish to read. I'm always meaning to check out more of his stuff, but I never seem to get around to it :-[

Freshly Squeezed Cynic

| 6,189 posts

4th Mar 2008 at 6:06 pm

Ach, aye, he's kind of the guy you overlook for a while because you're looking at someone else or are obsessed with a particular writer's work, and then you come across Mother Night or something and you just go "Aw yeah, this sh*t is where it's at."

the doc

| 23,161 posts

4th Mar 2008 at 6:16 pm

the doc -

I thought it was sad when he died last year and it kinda went unnoticed. There was a thread on here and it got about three responses.......I know this is just a forum so you wouldn't expect a huge response, but I didn't see anything on the news and stuff like that. Shame, cos he was an important writer in the scheme of the last fifty years. That's why it's scandalous in a sense that i've not read more, I did me degree in American Lit, you see, but there's so f*cking much of it it's hard to read everything. I'm still working on it though, although gainful employment may scupper that

Azrael

| 239 posts

14th Mar 2008 at 10:05 pm

Azrael - You just made 'THE LIST' (Scribbles furiously)

You just made 'THE LIST' (Scribbles furiously)

Jack Kerouac; If you wanna know why, read 'On the Road'.
Your love is a thousand needles in my spine; I only bleed when they're taken away.

"Insanity: a perfect rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D. Lang

«Jesus loves Azrael.»

Πανδώρα: Beefy cheesemas to all, and to all a gravy brie
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
IGH: Just who was The Brigadier
ratammer: squeak
IGH: Wibble
Vel: *sigh*
Emma: Hi VR...
Princess Psycho: Hi I am back in the UK so how are everyone been keeping. Has Fluffy had that little accident yet?
Claire: SHOUTBOX OF VRRRRRR
Rayanne Graff: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Lucozade Lover: Happy New Year!
Crinkle-Cut Beatroot: Happy new year <3
Claire: BOXSHOUT
Rayanne Graff: Happy Easter.
Emma: So… Posting a new thread is Fission Mailing… so I’m putting this here.
Emma: I know there aren’t many people looking at this anymore… but I have made the decision to stop paying for the VR hosting and to let the domain lapse.
Emma: I think it will be going offline around the end of May
Emma: It’s been almost 10 years since James passed away… and I feel like it’s time.
Emma: A lot of the regulars can be found on the VR veterans group on Facebook - if you see this and you’re not in there, come join us.

One Page